Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14559651 times)

TERRA Operative, Ice-Tea and 37 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #129300 on: August 10, 2022, 06:16:42 pm »

Nice shot too!

I am missing you here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/best-lens-for-macro-electronic-components/

Don’t want to go too off topic here. But stock 50mm zoom, 22MP sensor and heavy crop  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #129301 on: August 10, 2022, 06:30:18 pm »
This is your brain TEA on drugs leaking NiCads.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, grizewald, Kosmic, cyclin_al, Zoli, dl6lr

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129302 on: August 10, 2022, 06:39:45 pm »
dissection of the wikipedia history page
Why not take a look at the original adverts,plenty of 1974 mags online to chose from,for those in the uk corner https://worldradiohistory.com/Everyday_Electronics.htm
Looking through those PDF copies of magazines took me back in time. It is great seeing all of those lovely pages old classified adverts by the like of Laskys, Henrys Radio, Bi-Pak, Marshalls, Bi-Pre-Pak (used to be a regular in that shop, so many unadvertised bargains they had in store and ElectroValue Ltd, bliss.

Hang on a moment, just spotted in the Henrys Radio advert this (insert below) for a Sinclair Scientific list price £49, their price £27.50 plus p&p of just 25p, these exclude VAT which was just 8%, making the built calculator list price £52.92 and their price £29.70. Those were the good old days, eh?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 06:42:18 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129303 on: August 10, 2022, 06:40:17 pm »

Urggghhhhh  >:(  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129304 on: August 10, 2022, 07:15:27 pm »
On TE, some Marconi 2022E progress later today. PCBs round one have arrived:

Only 3 JLCPCB projects? I was expected something in the middle two digits...  :-DD :-DD :-DD

There’s three more sets or boards on the way for projects  :-DD

What schematic capture / CAD software do you guys and girls use when designing stuff to be made by JLCPCB?
It's years since I did any PCB design. I've got a full copy of Easy-PC  somewhere but that is well out of date. Not sure if it's worth investing £69 to get the latest version.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129305 on: August 10, 2022, 07:20:45 pm »

ouch  :(

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #129306 on: August 10, 2022, 07:21:29 pm »
What schematic capture / CAD software do you guys and girls use when designing stuff to be made by JLCPCB?

KiCad
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr, duckduck, Atomillo

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129307 on: August 10, 2022, 07:21:45 pm »

Only 3 JLCPCB projects? I was expected something in the middle two digits...  :-DD :-DD :-DD

It's years since I did any PCB design. I've got a full copy of Easy-PC  somewhere but that is well out of date. Not sure if it's worth investing £69 to get the latest version.

Kicad is working relatively well.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129308 on: August 10, 2022, 07:23:59 pm »
Have we had this one? Datron 1065.

Ebay listing https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255668981352 "For parts or not working"

Doesn't look too rough. Might be a useful parts mule or a repair challenge for someone who's up for it.
I've always loved the display on those, but man that is a big beast, far too big for my bench, and I love all of those red LEDs as indicators of which function has been selected, but nah, I'll let this one slide.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129309 on: August 10, 2022, 07:36:23 pm »
Well, my first day was exhausting ! 
Yes I know... it's not even noon, my day is not even finished yet... but yes it is ! :-DD
No, have not been fired just yet, didn't even get that opportunity.

Well, that story sounded like quite the misadventure. Hope the rest of your week is better.

Day #2 today was much better !  Managed to get my badge done and could get into the site. Met a couple colleagues, very friendly. Did lots of admin stuff with the boss, still much to do.
Got given a brand new, NIB laptop worth 2,000 Euros she said. Almost twice the price of my car. I told her are you crazy or what ? I only need to do basic office work, not run CATIA v5, any 200 Euro laptop will be plenty good enough for the job ! What a waste of money ! :scared:

Good news : I won't be fired this week, because the girl I am supposed to replace / train with, is still on vacation, she will be back on Monday next week. So this week will be just admin stuff and babysitting.

Boss gave me a 30 seconds glimpse on what the job will be like concretely. Looks like it might be doable, but still unsure. I will only know next week when that girl comes back and I start training.
So I told my boss that I still considered it was a suicide mission and that she should be prepared to start looking for a new guy already. She said no you will be just fine, and you can't possibly be worse than the girl currently on that job anyway !!!
I said that's not very nice of you to speak of your people like this.... tell me, is she a pretty girl ? She said  YES she is !  Ahhh.... see, I said, she is not ALL bad ! There is something good in everybody, you just need to open your eyes and be open minded !  >:D

Got given a tour of the workshop, because I didn't know that particular one. They assemble the air frame of the A320 in there, and I have never worked on the 320, only the 350 and A400M.

Was interesting, I see they recently (2 years ago I am told) starting using a brand new type of fastener for the skin. That's quite something. They call it "ErgoTech" (tm). This thing is fascinating.
The idea is that you need less workforce to install it, as well as being suitable for robot installation. This way you can fire lots of people, increase productivity and improve your margins quite a bit because labour is the expensive thing in the price of an A/C.

So overall it's going pretty well. Colleagues are cool and I most definitely won't be fired this week, and might even possibly survive the next week or two, if just because I won't have access to the required IT resources of Airbus, before a little while... these things take time. To begin with Airbus requires me to give them my corporate e-mail address before they can consider giving me access to any of their IT resources. Problem is that this e-mail, I won't get it before... maybe 2 or 3 weeks because our own IT guys are on vacation and we don't know when they will be back... oh joy.

Did squat at home today. Left work at 13H00 as expected, was so tired (couldn't find sleep last night) that I went straight to bed, naked over it of course, with the fan blowing on me. Woke up 19H30 with a headache as a consequence, stupid me. 30 minutes to reply to a mail from mum who had the clutch on her car let go today, great. Then watching the news while cooking some pasta, 9PM. Now 21H30 and finishing up this very message.

I was supposed to go to sleep at 20H00 so I can wake up at 03H00 tomorrow to start work at 04H45.... so I failed already miserably !

But I guess doesn't matter because I won't be able to sleep tonight anyway... heat wave again this week... this evening it's 27.5°C inside the house, but I can't even open the windows to cool down at night of course because I have to go to bed long before the outside temp has dropped sufficiently. Can't open the windows in the morning when I leave for work either, because animals and thieves could get in and ruin my day. Plus by the time I get back from work at 13H00, the outside temp would be already crazy high and turn the inside into a furnace.

So basically we have a heat wave and I have to keep the windows closed 24/7 and endure 27/28 °C inside the house !!! GREAT !!!

I HATE SUMMER IT SUCKS BIG TIME !!!!   :horse: :-- :-- :-- :--   :palm: :scared: :blah: :rant: |O

Sorry didn't read TEA today... 6 pages of stuff since I last looked at it last evening, just don't have the time nor energy, sorry. Taking a shower and straight to bed.

Have a good evening, or day, or morning, wherever you happen to live...

« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 08:08:42 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, capt bullshot, bd139, ch_scr, nixiefreqq, factory, grizewald, m k, Atomillo

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #129310 on: August 10, 2022, 07:55:27 pm »
Thanks for checking in, V. We're glad you seem to be settling in at the new job. Hope to see you in the Discord when you have a little "me" time. ;)

mnem
 :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #129311 on: August 10, 2022, 07:59:54 pm »
dissection of the wikipedia history page
Why not take a look at the original adverts,plenty of 1974 mags online to chose from,for those in the uk corner https://worldradiohistory.com/Everyday_Electronics.htm

gurgling for "wireless world" "sinclair scientific" leads to https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-UK/Technology/Technology-All-Eras/Archive-Wireless-World-IDX/70s/Wireless-World-1974-07-OCR-Page-0063.pdf

That's a 1 page PDF of the full page advert. July 1974. £49 (+VAT)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129312 on: August 10, 2022, 08:00:27 pm »
Naaa, just proves that we're still compos mentis and reliable witnesses to past events and, come the zombie apocalypse with no electricity or batteries, those of us who can still use slide rules and log/trig tables will be kings amongst men, well kings amongst engineers anyway.
I think in case of ANY apocalypse we should start preparing our personal version of "A Canticle for Leibowitz". Instead of chasing the latest&greatest, write down your basics, and bind them on plastic.

So...  a shipping container with a supercapacitor array, a bicycle-powered generator, and stocked with oodles of LED portable lights,  ARM-powered MacBooks with all the batteries removed, and the entire contents of archive.org copied onto a few hundred SSDs for redundancy. A small solar array on top to a powerwall inside for convenient startup... but you can still bootstrap with the bike-gen and supercaps if needed. Add some print like how to make the generator and modern caps from scratch... maybe the pocket PC Reference and Auto Reference...

Yeah, okay. Prolly a lot easier to just live your life today and be ready to kiss your ass goodbye when it's time for Ark B to take off.  :-DD

mnem
*currently resting after 1.5 hours out in the garage doing things we're not supposed to talk aboot in here*
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 08:05:42 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129313 on: August 10, 2022, 08:09:12 pm »

Uggghhh... So, have you braved the closer inspection yet, or afraid to handle it until after it all gets a bath with the garden hose...?

mnem
flakes of doom...

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #129314 on: August 10, 2022, 08:20:06 pm »
If you’ve got some E12 resistors you can add a 3db at each end using a DIY pi attenuator. 270 ohms in series and 18 in each parallel element. That’s 49 ohms and 3.08dB which is close enough  :-DD
Well yes I could conjure up that with some 0805 SMD components ..........
Just finished and at 22.40 only time for a quick test as need be up early to take the chief cook and bottle washer to hospital for an op tomorrow. Sorta serious but apparently straight forward so batching for a couple days until I get the call to collect her.

Anyways closest I had was 20pF 0805's so it won't be perfect but all going well should get these crystals buzzing.
After much shagging around .....mind was on how wifey op was going....I finally got some ~20MHz buzz from the thing however this homemade fixture needs some tweaks based on what I been reading up on.
This was with SNA5kA as I needed to get closer to this new honey to better know how to twiddle her knobs.  :-X
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #129315 on: August 10, 2022, 08:33:11 pm »
I've always loved the display on those, but man that is a big beast, far too big for my bench, and I love all of those red LEDs as indicators of which function has been selected, but nah, I'll let this one slide.

It's also only 5.5 digits, 15ppm 24 hour accuracy on DCV and if the display is fubar, well good luck finding a replacement except by buying another meter. A risky choice at best I'd say.
  Lord of Sealand

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #129316 on: August 10, 2022, 08:35:35 pm »
not much stuff that got done today.
found a bloody error in a redis interface (small in memory database), so I got my worker slave (computer, not person) to actually do some work.
Will initiate update of the next slave tomorrow.
Was buggered about some major interface. Boss called from vacation, I told him about it and he said "bloody ++++$%$&%$ censored"
got credit for my overtime and I am approaching the magic forced vacation limit so I scheduled a week off on overtime for the end of August.
Then went on to pick up to heat elements (GTX 1060 and RTX 2070 super) for my upstairs heater.
Inquired about island capable microinverter. Was told by one dealer that they did not have this.
oh great, so when we have a black out, the power company can cut my solar power as well ?
yup.
What good is it then ?
well, you can lower your electricity bill ...
 |O |O |O
anyway.
Will look for mining frame and suitable PSU later on. Hope to get some solar panels in within the next couple of days to start experimenting.
Also looking for a UPS (not the driver, the appliance ...)
*sigh*

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129317 on: August 10, 2022, 08:37:16 pm »
anyone out there paining for an Agilent U1252A with U1161A Lead set, a U1732B LCR meter, or a Keysight robot car ?
Drop me a note ...

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #129318 on: August 10, 2022, 08:37:25 pm »
Distrelec is quite good, but of course expensive. Since they shut their store down in Stockholm, I see 0 reason to shop from them.

The ELFA shop in Solna is no more?

End of an era, etc, etc...
  Lord of Sealand

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129319 on: August 10, 2022, 08:40:41 pm »

For all its faults KiCad. Once you get used to it it's not too bad. My usual complaint of "UI sucks rocks!" applies, but they're smaller rocks than any other free or low cost PCB CAD software.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129320 on: August 10, 2022, 08:47:45 pm »
Thanks for that.
When I looked a while back Kicad seemed a reasonable option but it's good to have confirmation.

Online Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #129321 on: August 10, 2022, 08:50:31 pm »
So...  a shipping container with a supercapacitor array, a bicycle-powered generator, and stocked with oodles of LED portable lights,  ARM-powered MacBooks with all the batteries removed, and the entire contents of archive.org copied onto a few hundred SSDs for redundancy. A small solar array on top to a powerwall inside for convenient startup... but you can still bootstrap with the bike-gen and supercaps if needed. Add some print like how to make the generator and modern caps from scratch... maybe the pocket PC Reference and Auto Reference...

Yeah, okay. Prolly a lot easier to just live your life today and be ready to kiss your ass goodbye when it's time for Ark B to take off.  :-DD

mnem
*currently resting after 1.5 hours out in the garage doing things we're not supposed to talk aboot in here*
I rather would be thinking about how to get quickly to the novel's end by kick-starting atomic research  >:D Oh, and don't forget the recipe for the 50g >:D   :-DD :-DD :-DD
/That's human nature

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129322 on: August 10, 2022, 08:53:16 pm »
Distrelec is quite good, but of course expensive. Since they shut their store down in Stockholm, I see 0 reason to shop from them.

The ELFA shop in Solna is no more?

End of an era, etc, etc...
wasn't that nightwish and Tarja ?

Anyway.
Just revived my W7 PC with the 1060. Also got XP to run on it.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, grizewald, cyclin_al, m k

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129323 on: August 10, 2022, 08:56:07 pm »
Mini reply to earlier: Kicad it is. It's actually quite nice. I like it.

Anyway Marconi 2022E thread update.

I am winning: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/marconi-2022e-repair-and-refurb/msg4351282/#msg4351282

It fits in the hole:

« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 09:03:25 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, ch_scr, factory, grizewald, TERRA Operative, Kosmic, syau, Zoli, Peter_O

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #129324 on: August 10, 2022, 08:57:08 pm »
Uggghhh... So, have you braved the closer inspection yet, or afraid to handle it until after it all gets a bath with the garden hose...?

It's in the garage where it will stay until I salvage what knobs and parts I want. Other than that it's ruined by the NiCad damage. It's some of the worst damage I've seen by leaking batteries.

On a lighter note, my friend came over with the $50 parts haul. I didn't take all that much because I already have quite a bit. But I did take some of the following:

Breadboard
Electrolytic caps
Mega boards with and without WiFi
Mega breakout
Color TFT touchscreens which I did check out and they work
LCD display
Bluetooth board
Variuos sensors
SI5351 Clock Gen.
RFID kit

I said take the rest home and make something!

He wouldn't take any money for it.

I said "Oh there wasn't going to be any money. But on your death bed, you will receive total consciousness."

Quote from caddy Shack
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, factory, Kosmic, cyclin_al, dl6lr

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf