Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14553059 times)

ch_scr, Qw3rtzuiop and 23 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #129575 on: August 12, 2022, 03:30:38 pm »
Those 2 HP calculators have arrived, well-packed, delivered by Evri.

It seems that the 17BII, on the right can be switched in and out of the RPN mode when required manually, need to read the manual later for more info, but now its boy dropping off at work time and a spot of shopping, in this stupid heat, I must be mad.

will confess that if those were in the calculator tray at the thrift store i'da bought them.

on an unrelated topic.......finding solder blobs and jumpers on cartridge fuses........WTF??? 
I did, £14 delivered for both, bargain  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #129576 on: August 12, 2022, 03:47:24 pm »
just returned with a 1.5 kWp PV set which is stackable to 3, 4.5, 6, 9 ...
Had a long discussion w/ the authorities regarding building permit etc

Will need to take some measurements, however the administrative guy responsible told me that he liked my approach and would support my plans.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #129577 on: August 12, 2022, 03:58:21 pm »

It seems that the 17BII, on the right can be switched in and out of the RPN mode when required manually, need to read the manual later for more info, but now its boy dropping off at work time and a spot of shopping, in this stupid heat, I must be mad.

will confess that if those were in the calculator tray at the thrift store i'da bought them.

on an unrelated topic.......finding solder blobs and jumpers on cartridge fuses........WTF???

The simple answer is that it’s impossible to make things idiot PROOF.  The best you can hope for is idiot resistant, and achieving even that is a pretty tall order.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #129578 on: August 12, 2022, 04:05:58 pm »
On the Bench Today: NEW A1 SIZE CUTTING MAT   

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FM3ZP4V

One of the things that evidently didn't survive either move were any of my cutting mats; I've already got some marks on the marble countertop, so time for a new one. I've used the grey FISKARS ones for quite a while now, as they're only $30-38 in A1 size; but they're only a 3-layer mat, and the last one I got at Wally Wurlld just reeked of plastic outgassing for over a month.  :o

Today I found this one; a 5-layer mat with a nice metric side, and with the current 20% discount it's only $26.

When it gets here in a few days I'll post real pics and first impressions. If you're needing a new mat, this could be a killer deal. No idea if those outside the US can find this one with similar discount.  :-//

FOLLOWUP:

*knock at door... pitter-patter of footfalls... vrooom...! of truck pulling away as I open the door to find a huge flat Amazon box*

* SQWEEEEE!!! of delight  as mnem scurries away to the dwagon-cave with his prize*

First... I need to clear off the bench...

*plop!* Oh yeah, baybee!!!

Construction is a really nice, dense 5-layer with solid layers and foam with just the right rigidity and a nice grippy surface, over 3mm thick. Heavy too; balanced on edge on my kitchen scale, it weighs 1.7Kg.  :o Even working right on it like this, outgassing plastic smell is barely noticeable. Much better than my last two mats.  :-+

And as always, the only time I can actually lay paws on my good tape measure is when I don't need a tape measure...  :o

Print is nice and crisp, unlike many of the "green mats".  :-+

THE MONEY SHOT: View from the "captain's chair". This pleases me...

...now let's get it dirty!!!  :-DD

So far, I quite like the initial quality of this mat. At $26, a steal of a deal... but evidently it is sold out right now.  :-// I'd say it still warrants watching to see if it comes back in stock; even for a few dollars more than the Fiskars, I would take this one first. I like the protractor print better than the Fiskars nested rectangles, and it doesn't stink me out of the house.

mnem
Tinker-tinker... putter-putter...
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #129579 on: August 12, 2022, 04:42:54 pm »
---- scam feeling ----

selling a bunch of stuff in Ebay USA now, I see most of my high bidders has "(0)" at the end of the name, meaning zero feedback or activities.
Should I be worry to get scammed?
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129580 on: August 12, 2022, 04:47:13 pm »
I had cause to rouse the Swiss Bastard today and put him to work.

I will never get tired of that gag.

Say what you like about the Swiss, and I know some would be prepared to wax lyrical on their many perfidies, but they do know how to make a damn good file. This is one of those tools that it's always a genuine pleasure to use.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, exor, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, mansaxel, grizewald, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129581 on: August 12, 2022, 04:51:22 pm »

The simple answer is that it’s impossible to make things idiot PROOF.  The best you can hope for is idiot resistant, and achieving even that is a pretty tall order.

-Pat
Every time you build something more 1d10t-proof, they build a better 1d10t.  :-DD

mnem
"The only infinite resource is human stupidity." ~attributed to Albert Einstein
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129582 on: August 12, 2022, 04:54:24 pm »
---- scam feeling ----

selling a bunch of stuff in Ebay USA now, I see most of my high bidders has "(0)" at the end of the name, meaning zero feedback or activities.

Maybe, maybe not. Everybody had zero feedback at some point. If you're nervous, get in touch with them. If they're genuine they ought to understand and not take offence. Just follow the "treat others as one would like to be treated" rule and one can't go wrong (unless one is a cheating unprincipled scumbag with all the morals of a rabid hyena, of course).
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129583 on: August 12, 2022, 05:03:54 pm »
---- scam feeling ----

If it's lots of your listings, I'd guess globfly bidding bots. Your stuff is probably no minimum and some interesting term in one or more of your listings; the controller will often then direct their bots to camp out on all your listings.

One of many reasons why I usually put a starting price that honestly reflects the minimum I'm willing to take; it weeds out the dickbags and bots and cheapskate Ferengis ( no offense, bd139 ;) ) hoping to get something for nothing, leaving only serious bidders.

You can refuse to sell to buyers with zero or low feedback, you're perfectly within your rights on the eBay terms of use; particularly if something feels off like international buyer and request to pay with escrow, or asking for a serial#/IMEI before paying, etc.

Cheers,

mnem
 :-/O

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #129584 on: August 12, 2022, 05:08:49 pm »
---- scam feeling ----

I normally include a in the description to the effect that I will not sell to someone with poor or inadequate feedback. No problems so far.

I'd also look at how long they have been on fleabay, and whether or not they have purchased vaguely similar items before, e.g. someone that has bought solder/resistors vs toiletries/clothes.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129585 on: August 12, 2022, 05:15:50 pm »
One of many reasons why I usually put a starting price that honestly reflects the minimum I'm willing to take; it weeds out the dickbags and bots and cheapskate Ferengis ( no offense, bd139 ;) ) hoping to get something for nothing, leaving only serious bidders.

I wouldn't worry about offending such cheapskate Ferengis; they just smile in another Ferengi's prescence.

When at hamfests and someone asks my prices, I tell them cheaper than fleabay but not so cheap they could simply flip it for a large profit.

On fleabay, I simply state the price and that I will take non-stupid offers; that weeds out those that offer 10% :) I will sometimes do an informal dutch auction, occasionally reducing the price.

The only time I will consider an auction is when I can guarantee there will be multiple bidders, since in a normal auction the price is set by the second highest bidder.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al, duckduck

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129586 on: August 12, 2022, 06:57:59 pm »
---- scam feeling ----

If it's lots of your listings, I'd guess globfly bidding bots. Your stuff is probably no minimum and some interesting term in one or more of your listings; the controller will often then direct their bots to camp out on all your listings.

You can refuse to sell to buyers with zero or low feedback, you're perfectly within your rights on the eBay terms of use; particularly if something feels off like international buyer and request to pay with escrow, or asking for a serial#/IMEI before paying, etc.

Cheers,

mnem
 :-/O
Hey, I'm a fellow cheapskate Ferengis too :popcorn: Its all done in the best possible taste  :-DD
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 07:02:12 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129587 on: August 12, 2022, 07:15:36 pm »
So a bit more detail on my cheap portable colour spectrum analyser. It's primariy a cable TV / internet network test tool. Make is Sunrise Telecom who were bought out by VeEX. Model is a CM2800E. It's a WinCE based portable with a 6.4" touchscreen. The spectrum analyser covers 5 MHz and 1100 MHz. Minimum resolution bandwidth is 30 kHz. It has peak or average detection, peak hold and comprehensive markers. It does not have demodulation but the unit also has a selective level meter that has analog and digital demodulation. This makes an OK receiver. Also included is a RF generator / sweep generator. It's network connectable, has USB and CF sockets and will export data or screen shots Overall it makes a very nice unit for level measurement and interference hunting.
As I have enough SA's I'm going to ferengi this one and have just bought a second one for just a little bit more money  :D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al, duckduck

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #129588 on: August 12, 2022, 07:23:36 pm »
So a bit more detail on my cheap portable colour spectrum analyser. It's primariy a cable TV / internet network test tool. Make is Sunrise Telecom who were bought out by VeEX.

Does this mean 75 \$\Omega\$ input impedance?

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129589 on: August 12, 2022, 07:42:37 pm »
So a bit more detail on my cheap portable colour spectrum analyser. It's primariy a cable TV / internet network test tool. Make is Sunrise Telecom who were bought out by VeEX.

Does this mean 75 \$\Omega\$ input impedance?

Yes, but not an issue for intereference hunting and can be fixed with a transformer or minimum loss pad. Has interchangable connectors for BNCs are an easy option.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129590 on: August 12, 2022, 07:56:10 pm »

I HAVE THE POWAHHH!!!

...at the other end of my garage where I need it to run my sandcat. REOWWWWRRRRR!!!    :-DD

And keeping it on-topic; there is TE in use right there.

mnem
*juicy*
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 07:58:45 pm by mnementh »

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129591 on: August 12, 2022, 08:03:34 pm »
I just noticed that the hoymiles dtu has been reeingineered ... this will be a project for my non existent free time ...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129592 on: August 12, 2022, 08:10:26 pm »

-Pat
Every time you build something more 1d10t-proof, they build a better 1d10t.  :-DD

mnem
"The only infinite resource is human stupidity." ~attributed to Albert Einstein

Just spent the last 5 hours dealing with the fall out from one of them  >:(

Unrelated to that, all the house paperwork is now sorted so move is 100% signed off. All systems go. Will have limited participation in TEA activities from 22nd Aug to 10th September approx  :scared:. Will try to drop in on discord at weekends though.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Brumby, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, grizewald, cyclin_al, Zoli

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129593 on: August 12, 2022, 08:12:11 pm »
I'll have the hot air rework gizmo waiting for you :D *tease*

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129594 on: August 12, 2022, 08:12:46 pm »
I'll have the hot air rework gizmo waiting for you :D *tease*

Appreciated  :-+

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129595 on: August 12, 2022, 08:45:39 pm »
I'll have the hot lube gizmo waiting for you :D *tease*

mnem
 >:D

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #129596 on: August 12, 2022, 09:09:38 pm »
Only TE affected tonight was the VU meters and other associated wigglies and a few bargraphs.

Very analog. Quite vintage.

Transducers:

Kick   Electro-Voice PL33
O/H   Neumann KM85i (stereo pair)
Bass  Line out from instrument amplifier
Keys  Radial Engineering JDi (stereo pair) (Canada!)
Sax   Studio Projects B-1
Vox   AKG C535eb

Console:

Studer Model 169 10:2.

Dynamics:

Behringer MDX2000

FX:

Yamaha SPX-90

Monitoring:

Sony MDR-7506.

PA and wedges: By venue.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129597 on: August 12, 2022, 09:19:51 pm »
I have just discovered that I'm not the only person here who loves calculators, it turns out that our benefactor Dave has quite a good collection of his own and he discovered that his Casio FX135 had the batteries left in, Varta anti leak and guess what, yep, they leaked.

EDIT:
Surely then, that must mean that all talk about calculators must be deemed as on topic  ;)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 09:56:29 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, grizewald, Zoli

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129598 on: August 12, 2022, 10:36:24 pm »
Unrelated to that, all the house paperwork is now sorted so move is 100% signed off. All systems go. Will have limited participation in TEA activities from 22nd Aug to 10th September approx  :scared:. Will try to drop in on discord at weekends though.

Daughters paper work is also sorted, exchanged today, completion on Monday.

I thought I was finally rid of her and that she was an independent adult. Doubly so since the car I lent her has just been totalled when legally parked. Clearly no fault, but still a major pain in the backside in the middle of "ice cream high season"

Oh no. I've been informed that there are Things she will want me to do on her house.

I'm pondering whether I will make it to the FRARS hamfest on Sunday, and/or the Rugby hamfest next weekend. Both are equally distant.

Any recommendations based on past experience?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 10:43:15 pm by tggzzz »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129599 on: August 12, 2022, 10:39:14 pm »
Do both. Give her time to sweat it a little before she gets a answer.  >:D

mnem
*dinner is lurking*

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf