Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14936490 times)

dazz1, dxl and 191 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #129675 on: August 13, 2022, 03:32:46 pm »
Talking of JENGA, I've sold a 8574A VNA. I now have to extract it from the analyser stack. It's above the HP 8568B but under a 3U PC, 2U pull-up keboard / display, R&S CRTU, R&S CMW-CU, GPSstar GPSDO HP 5335A Counter and a couple of DMMs  :palm:

Obviously you next acquisition will be a 19" rack with equipment resting on easy access pull-out runners. Considered such a thing myself, but nowhere to put it.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #129676 on: August 13, 2022, 03:39:50 pm »
Re: TDS520, right funny buggers they are, hiding the RIFAs behind a compact gazillion of screws.  Finally found them. Two tiny 2200pF ones, innit?

You'll find 4 of the nasty things, one inside the metal box around the fuse and power switch, one outside near the edge of the board, and two around the common mode chokes just near that metal box.
All are the same value, 2200pF.

Also, that EPROM you took a photo of earlier, that's just the boot ROM, the firmware is held in the battery backed Dallas RAM chips (The big box shaped chips).
There's instructions on how to extract the firmware and NVRAM on this forum, assuming you get your hands on a GPIB adapter.
Out of interest, what firmware revision does it tell you if you hit <shift> then <status/help> then select <banner> from the soft buttons at the bottom of the display?

Also also, getting GPIB comms is easy with one of those ebay Agilent GPIB-USB adapters.  ;) Then it'd be simple to unlock options and update firmware (if a newer is available).

@Terra Operative, did you ever find an HP 1QF7-0067? May need one myself...

Nah, I have since relegated that 3478A to parts mule, but have yet to cannibalise it. Its staring at me from the shelf with sad eyes.
I have two other 3478A meters in working condition, so haven't had need to search too much.

My problem is that those two I bought cheap for parts ended up being easy to fix, so they didn't donate their 1QF7-0067 chips.  ;D
There is a partial schematic for the chip in the service manual though, I've toyed with the idea of making a replacement chip with discreet SMD parts, but it's a ways down on the loooonnnggg list of things-to-do.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #129677 on: August 13, 2022, 03:51:29 pm »
Also...

Tonight on the bench is one of my HP 5340A 18GHz frequency counters. And yes, they are both nixie versions of course8)

This one is the good one that I'm building up all nice with all the parts I have that are the newest revision and in the best condition.
The other will be assembled to a working state with the 2nd grade parts and sold off. (I bought one or two extra parts mules which were beyond repair so they were stripped down for parts aaggeess ago).

Here's hoping that the high frequency front end in at least one of these hasn't been blown, or I'll be on the hunt for more parts.....

Also, I got my hands on an Option 001 OCXO transformer, and designed a power supply PCB, all I need is the OCXO itself to get that option complete, but I have the Leo Bodnar GPSDO until then anyway. (Which I'll probably just use all the time but I do so love my options. :D )

General note: In ALL the units (4 so far) that I got my hands on, the big power capacitors have ALL been completely dried up and dead. Some even sounded like maracas they were so far gone.
I would suggest checking them and replacing them in any unit you come across....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, wolfy007, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #129678 on: August 13, 2022, 04:06:23 pm »
Talking of JENGA, I've sold a 8574A VNA. I now have to extract it from the analyser stack. It's above the HP 8568B but under a 3U PC, 2U pull-up keboard / display, R&S CRTU, R&S CMW-CU, GPSstar GPSDO HP 5335A Counter and a couple of DMMs  :palm:

Obviously you next acquisition will be a 19" rack with equipment resting on easy access pull-out runners. Considered such a thing myself, but nowhere to put it.

Be careful! Once you get one rack, you'll soon fill it and need another....  :-DD  |O

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, wolfy007, cyclin_al, syau

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129679 on: August 13, 2022, 04:20:51 pm »
Arrggg just saw a cheap Tek 485 on ebay this morning, sold as "used" and supposed to be working. I was about to post the link over here but hitted "Buy" instead  :palm:

No worries. I already have 2 of them plus a junk unit. I think 4 total would be overkill.  :-DD

Edit.....although I do have 3 Type 547's.  ;D

That would be my second one since I still have one in the repair queue. Even if it was sold as used and tested, I suspect the second one will also go in the repair queue. Will see.

Well well, it's actually working. Probably need a good cleanup and a deoxit bath but it's more or less working as it should.

Can't wait for all those tants to explode.

Some close up shots. They were definitely not making the job easy for the peoples building those things.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 04:54:59 pm by Kosmic »

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #129680 on: August 13, 2022, 04:21:40 pm »
Re: TDS520, right funny buggers they are, hiding the RIFAs behind a compact gazillion of screws.  Finally found them. Two tiny 2200pF ones, innit?

You'll find 4 of the nasty things, one inside the metal box around the fuse and power switch, one outside near the edge of the board, and two around the common mode chokes just near that metal box.
All are the same value, 2200pF.
Understood.
Also, that EPROM you took a photo of earlier, that's just the boot ROM, the firmware is held in the battery backed Dallas RAM chips (The big box shaped chips).
There's instructions on how to extract the firmware and NVRAM on this forum, assuming you get your hands on a GPIB adapter.
Out of interest, what firmware revision does it tell you if you hit <shift> then <status/help> then select <banner> from the soft buttons at the bottom of the display?
I see on bootROM. Scope is in bits right now, as soon as I get it together I'll see if I can press the right combination.

Also also, getting GPIB comms is easy with one of those ebay Agilent GPIB-USB adapters.  ;) Then it'd be simple to unlock options and update firmware (if a newer is available).

The 150 USD ones are obvious clone/fakes, which is OK if they work.  And I assume you think they do?  Can one drive an entire bus from them or are they one-instrument only?  If the latter, it's much more interesting, of course. I do have a bunch of instruments with GPIB these days..

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #129681 on: August 13, 2022, 04:35:39 pm »
I have one of the clones, and it has always worked flawlessly. I think it's more of a 'ghost shift' than a copy as such, the PCB looks practically identical to the real deal.

I'm not sure how many devices it can support at once as I've only ever used it on one device at a time, but seeing as it looks identical to the real deal, I expect it would have the same or at least close to the same performance.

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129682 on: August 13, 2022, 04:39:22 pm »
I have one of the clones, and it has always worked flawlessly. I think it's more of a 'ghost shift' than a copy as such, the PCB looks practically identical to the real deal.

I'm not sure how many devices it can support at once as I've only ever used it on one device at a time, but seeing as it looks identical to the real deal, I expect it would have the same or at least close to the same performance.

The one I got was not a ghost shift but a bad copy.

You can see the differences here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg3232212/#msg3232212

Also the copy tend to overheat for some reason.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg3232236/#msg3232236
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 04:41:06 pm by Kosmic »

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129683 on: August 13, 2022, 04:42:08 pm »
Arrggg just saw a cheap Tek 485 on ebay this morning, sold as "used" and supposed to be working. I was about to post the link over here but hitted "Buy" instead  :palm:

No worries. I already have 2 of them plus a junk unit. I think 4 total would be overkill.  :-DD

Edit.....although I do have 3 Type 547's.  ;D

That would be my second one since I still have one in the repair queue. Even if it was sold as used and tested, I suspect the second one will also go in the repair queue. Will see.

Well well, it's actually working. Probably need a good cleanup and a deoxit bath but it's more or less working as it should.

I think I need one in my life  :-DD

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #129684 on: August 13, 2022, 04:46:45 pm »
@Mansaxel

Maybe you can get one of those: Agilent E5810A - GPIB / RS232 to IP bridge

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2875840/#msg2875840
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129685 on: August 13, 2022, 04:58:04 pm »

Rugby has been good to me in the past, particularly for hard to find components I'd been looking for

I was going to say "But don't you risk losing your components in the scrums?", but on second thought, felt it was a bit beneath me.
On third thoughts, I decided "Bugger it!---Never miss the cheap shot!"

Warning, incoming Dad jokes: I suppose rugby would be ok for rectifier diodes as they are "all black" so it's worth a "try".  :palm: Ok, let me at least get my coat...

McBryce. 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 05:03:02 pm by McBryce »
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #129686 on: August 13, 2022, 04:58:39 pm »
<snip>
It will be a disaster. Moving house always is. Glass half empty. Better to be pleasantly surprised than unpleasantly surprised.

For TE and accessories it mitght the same as with all stuff:

Worst case is not having everything in boxes.
Helpers got tired at the end of the day
... and then there is this crazy stuff in the corners: Here a bag of cables, there a fancy holder of some thingy the only owner is able to remember, there a cactus, ...
... and then those 'few parts in the basement'.   :D

20 more boxes would be done in no time. Simple formula: One big moving box per board. Sounds plenty, but isn't. Double that number!

The HDX 27-Gal/102L totes were my lifesaver in the GWN; over the course of a couple moves I bought dozens, and they are simply unbeatable for moving and for long-term storage in harsh environments like attics and garages and even sheds, as they will hold up to being stacked as much as 6 high in a moving truck or trailer with the associated loading and stresses of bumps and swerves.

Moving the workbench, everything went into them in layers, with Kraft paper or bubble-wrap between to keep cables, etc from getting tangled; I kept all of them in the same area of the trailer so they all went straight to the dwagon-cave when we arrived. :-+

I've found them on sale as cheap as $10/ea; typical is $12-14. These come in 7, 12, 14, 17, 27, 38, 55, & 70 gallon sizes, but the 27-gallon is the "sweet spot" of cost vs capacity.

The clear Sterilite 56-Qt/52L bins are a mixed blessing at ~$7-8/ea; being clear it's easy to see what's in them, so they're ideal for underbed storage with the current crop of steel-frame beds designed to be used without a boxspring, as these have 12.5-15.5 inches clearance underneath (14", 16" and 18" frame variants) and they are reasonably durable for everyday storage in a climate-controlled space. They do not hold up well under garage/shed abuse, and you can really only get away with stacking them 2-3 high even indoors, and in a shed/attic where temps can reach 120-140°Frankenstein, the lids just collapse under even a moderate load.

Sadly, we learned this lesson the hard way with the contents of the Tejas Trailer of Doom™... there was some attrition of our personal preciouses and keepsakes of mum.  :-[

That said... from a moving standpoint, the ~$350 we spent on 30 of those HDX bins was simply worth every penny. The assache they save vs fucking around with cardboard boxes meant I saved money overall even if I just accounted for my time at minimum wage. Being able to stack them 4-5 high on a hand-truck and directly stow tall stacks of them in the shed or garage until the moving truck was gone saved us money on rental, too. And when you're done with them they nest such that a dozen of them takes up the same footprint in the attic as one, or you can sell them on CL and recoup half or more of what you spent on them, provided you don't just repurpose them for long-term storage.

The only real drawback is that being made of recycled polypropylene they're black, so you can't just see the contents like with the Sterilite bins; this adds some assache in terms of having to write up contents and tape them to the end of the tote.

mnem

*accidentally expert in the art of moving dwagons*
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 05:04:05 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #129687 on: August 13, 2022, 05:01:15 pm »

Rugby has been good to me in the past, particularly for hard to find components I'd been looking for

I was going to say "But don't you risk losing your components in the scrums?", but on second thought, felt it was a bit beneath me.

Warning, incoming Dad jokes: I suppose for rugby would be ok for rectifier diodes as they are "all black" so it's worth a "try".  :palm: Ok, let me at least get my coat...

McBryce.
Great timing as with five to play we’re five ahead in Joberg.  :)
Hopefully the AB’s can hang on.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129688 on: August 13, 2022, 05:07:14 pm »

Warning, incoming Dad jokes: I suppose for rugby would be ok for rectifier diodes as they are "all black" so it's worth a "try".  :palm: Ok, let me at least get my coat...

McBryce.

All blacks aren't exactly having a good time at the moment. But as I'm Irish, that's not really something that bothers me.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129689 on: August 13, 2022, 05:10:32 pm »

Edit: on "generation rent", it's worth noting that I'm only renting while I consolidate all the income from the last decade of divorces, deaths and disasters. Then I'm buying something nice :)
With of course the moat filled with piranha and a drawbridge over it that you can pull up and keep mad redheads at bay in his bed.

FTFY.    >:D

mnem
honesty is not often pretty.   :-DD
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129690 on: August 13, 2022, 05:13:46 pm »
With of course the moat filled with piranha and a drawbridge over it that you can pull up and keep mad redheads at bay.
To clarify it's to keep HMRC and pikeys out and the crazed redheads in.

mnem
maybe I know bd a little too well...  :o

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #129691 on: August 13, 2022, 05:17:38 pm »

McBryce.

All blacks aren't exactly having a good time at the moment. But as I'm Irish, that's not really something that bothers me.

McBryce.
Maybe but a 35 vs 23 win in Joberg is a pretty good result.  :phew:
Back to bed now, see y’all in a few hours.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129692 on: August 13, 2022, 05:18:01 pm »

Already got one. Saved it from going in a skip. Schroff, a quality item but it's in the garage. Got a bunch of side support angles and full shelves for it.  Slowly being loaded as part of the garage re-organisation.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129693 on: August 13, 2022, 05:20:14 pm »
I can get a bunch of free racks at the moment but I don’t want them and don’t want to go and get them. No one does  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129694 on: August 13, 2022, 05:23:42 pm »

*casts a prayer to Ifni for your continued safety in this time of great peril*

mnem
*toddles off to do... things.*

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129695 on: August 13, 2022, 05:26:54 pm »
Also...

Tonight on the bench is one of my HP 5340A 18GHz frequency counters. And yes, they are both nixie versions of course8)

This one is the good one that I'm building up all nice with all the parts I have that are the newest revision and in the best condition.
The other will be assembled to a working state with the 2nd grade parts and sold off. (I bought one or two extra parts mules which were beyond repair so they were stripped down for parts aaggeess ago).

Here's hoping that the high frequency front end in at least one of these hasn't been blown, or I'll be on the hunt for more parts.....

Also, I got my hands on an Option 001 OCXO transformer, and designed a power supply PCB, all I need is the OCXO itself to get that option complete, but I have the Leo Bodnar GPSDO until then anyway. (Which I'll probably just use all the time but I do so love my options. :D )

General note: In ALL the units (4 so far) that I got my hands on, the big power capacitors have ALL been completely dried up and dead. Some even sounded like maracas they were so far gone.
I would suggest checking them and replacing them in any unit you come across....

you scared me!

enough to run downstairs and turn on the 5340a.  (it has been a long time since it was powered up)

looks ok.  but maybe it should be pulled out from under the stack and checked for real.  bought it about 10 years ago.  it came with a broken side rail but other than that don't remember ever having a need to pop the cover.

as we used to say in panama.........mañana.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 06:00:45 pm by nixiefreqq »
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, cyclin_al

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #129696 on: August 13, 2022, 05:28:05 pm »

Be careful! Once you get one rack, you'll soon fill it and need another....  :-DD  |O

Not if you have sufficient control not to fill the first rack.

Oh. I think there might be w flaw in that argument.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, TERRA Operative

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #129697 on: August 13, 2022, 05:38:56 pm »
I think I need one in my life  :-DD

I actually find I have reached a plateau in CRO ownership now. Owning 3 classics, 465, 5440, and 2465, and the almost-next-gen TDS 520, I'd actually rather go towards a cheaper Siglent or similar for my next one. OTOH, I've got one of those "salae" analysers. Almost not used it. For decoding purposes, I imagine it'd go some way.

The "damn the torpedoes" engineering of the 485 could mean I change my mind, though.

Also, I'd want a decent function generator too. And a RF gen. And some devices to actually test and align FM stereo receivers (Sweden has more or less shelved DAB, letting FM sunset much longer. Having to maintain sunk cost in a 90s digital format bound to MPEG2 and PDH framing when Internet streaming owns the market did not even attract politicians. In the end.)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129698 on: August 13, 2022, 05:58:03 pm »
...And some devices to actually test and align FM stereo receivers (Sweden has more or less shelved DAB, letting FM sunset much longer. Having to maintain sunk cost in a 90s digital format bound to MPEG2 and PDH framing when Internet streaming owns the market did not even attract politicians. In the end.)

Honestly, meh. I couldn't care less about any form of broadcast audio. I used to be rabid aboot Sirius Radio; but now, I don't even care about the lifetime subscription unit they deliberately fuckerized with a firmware brick when Sirius & XM merged. :palm:

With the convenience of modern cars, where even the cheap model comes with a MP3/AAC player, I just put my music on a thumb drive and plug it in. Every 6 months or so I add my recent purchases. I can't even stand the "news" as it's presented now; 2-4 minutes of "it bleeds so it leads" politically-directed lies and propaganda, interspersed with 2-4 minute blocks of commercial lies and propaganda.   |O

I much prefer to choose my own playlist, even if it's only my music on shuffle.

mnem
fuck broadcast media in all forms.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 06:00:02 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129699 on: August 13, 2022, 06:30:31 pm »
Broadcast audio always sucked. Shitty music on loop with too many ads.

Well just seen a 465B on auction here actually selling at £170 with 20h to go yet. I feel slightly less pained about spending £20 on an IC for mine now  :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf