Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14830641 times)

mianos and 164 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #129700 on: August 13, 2022, 06:38:29 pm »
Broadcast audio always sucked. Shitty music on loop with too many ads.

Well just seen a 465B on auction here actually selling at £170 with 20h to go yet. I feel slightly less pained about spending £20 on an IC for mine now  :-DD

Friday Rock Show and Saturday Night Rocking were pretty good back in the 80s and 90s. Most of the time FM is better than DAB in my experience, especially in marginal signal conditions.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129701 on: August 13, 2022, 06:52:48 pm »
Discord is currently demodulating
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #129702 on: August 13, 2022, 07:14:45 pm »
I think I need one in my life  :-DD

I actually find I have reached a plateau in CRO ownership now. Owning 3 classics, 465, 5440, and 2465, and the almost-next-gen TDS 520, I'd actually rather go towards a cheaper Siglent or similar for my next one. OTOH, I've got one of those "salae" analysers. Almost not used it. For decoding purposes, I imagine it'd go some way.

The "damn the torpedoes" engineering of the 485 could mean I change my mind, though.

Also, I'd want a decent function generator too. And a RF gen. And some devices to actually test and align FM stereo receivers (Sweden has more or less shelved DAB, letting FM sunset much longer. Having to maintain sunk cost in a 90s digital format bound to MPEG2 and PDH framing when Internet streaming owns the market did not even attract politicians. In the end.)

I've got rid of 465s, on the grounds they don't add anything to a 2465 and 1740. Ditto 475s and most other similar scopes.

Don't forget 485s have a 50ohm//0pF input unlike the 2465/1740 which have a 50ohm//15pF input. Big difference with decent bandwidth probes. And the blue phosphor is delicious :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Zenith

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #129703 on: August 13, 2022, 07:42:38 pm »

I've got rid of 465s, on the grounds they don't add anything to a 2465 and 1740. Ditto 475s and most other similar scopes.

Don't forget 485s have a 50ohm//0pF input unlike the 2465/1740 which have a 50ohm//15pF input. Big difference with decent bandwidth probes. And the blue phosphor is delicious :)
I've got a soft spot for 475s. If I could only find a decent scrapper, for a sensible price, to provide a heatsink missing from a hybrid in the Y amp of the last I bought, I wouldn't be frightened to use it.

Wasn't the 485 the "bandwidth at all costs" version? I don't see so many around.

I've always had a hankering for an HP1727.

The one I usually grab is a Siglent. About the size and weight of a shoe box and does most of what I want.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #129704 on: August 13, 2022, 08:57:55 pm »
WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) Improvement Project Table Update:

All parts of the trestle have been stripped. Finish sanding to begin tonight or tomorrow; but first some well-earned rest and food.

Also, maybe a little disruptive behavior in the Discord.  >:D

mnem
I is a naughty widdle stripper-dwagon, and I must be pew-nished...

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #129705 on: August 13, 2022, 09:48:57 pm »
@Mansaxel

Maybe you can get one of those: Agilent E5810A - GPIB / RS232 to IP bridge

I'd love to. Fits just in with how I'd like to build my infrastructure. Much expensive they are, though.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129706 on: August 13, 2022, 09:53:32 pm »
oooops.

made a mistake when posting the pic of the 5340a at the bottom of a stack. (lest anyone jump on me with both feet for posting an HP lookin' thing not in any catalog)

near the top of the stack is a rubidium oscillator with an HP badge on it.

full disclosure......it is just an LPRO-101 stuck into a fubar sweep generator chassis.

and as a pre-emptive strike let me explain about the 1.5 x 10^-11 sticker.

set up the attached system.  let it all warm up for about 4 hours.  then set matching GRI's on the Loran C simulator and the Loran C receiver.  set the receiver to start gathering statistics and walk away for 48 hours.  come back and read  1.5 x 10^-11 as the difference between the rubidium oscillator and GPS.  within spec for that oscillator.

edit  it used to be a whole lot easier before they made the coasties shut down loran c.

have been toying with the idea of sending a spare LPRO-101 to med just to see if he will go down the time nut rabbit hole.

or would that be rotten?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 09:58:57 pm by nixiefreqq »
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, cyclin_al, syau, Atomillo

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #129707 on: August 13, 2022, 10:03:06 pm »
...And some devices to actually test and align FM stereo receivers (Sweden has more or less shelved DAB, letting FM sunset much longer. Having to maintain sunk cost in a 90s digital format bound to MPEG2 and PDH framing when Internet streaming owns the market did not even attract politicians. In the end.)

Honestly, meh. I couldn't care less about any form of broadcast audio.
fuck broadcast media in all forms.

Sweden is not the USA. Here, the fascists and those who lick fascist butt (all parties to the right, which is flabbergasting but then you think about it and realise it is an election in a month...) complain that the radio news is run by the left. To me, that means they get something correct. 

I would really like to lay hands on something like the Panasonic RF sig gens, that are well aimed at aligning FM receivers. I've got a gorgeous Marantz 4230 receiver that's been untouched except for some power amp transistors that went boom in the 80s. It's been in the family since new back in 1974 or so.  That's why.  (yes, mods, there is TE in this post!)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129708 on: August 13, 2022, 10:51:46 pm »
You're right of course... I forget that there are still some semi-civilized places in the world.  ;)

OTOH, I still hear morons complaining aboot "the liberal media" as if there has been such a thing over here any time in the last 3 decades.

Sorry for passing judgement so blindly; of course it doesn't matter what you want to listen to, or even if you listen to it at all after you get it right.

What matters is that you have it, you want it to be right, and that is all the reason one needs for  acquiring more TE!

mnem
*thwaps self 22 times with a wet noodle as penance*
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 10:56:57 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129709 on: August 13, 2022, 10:57:55 pm »
With of course the moat filled with piranha and a drawbridge over it that you can pull up and keep mad redheads at bay.

To clarify it's to keep HMRC and pikeys out and the crazed redheads in.

If you want to be unpleasant to someone, call the police. If you want to be mean, call the tax inspector. If you want to be vicious, call HMRC. HMRC has nastier abilities than the police, stemming from the days before police, and when they travelled on horses and used candles. A moat won't keep them out unless you use lethal force.

<snip>
Well that why the piranhas are in the moat, can't much more lethal than that?

An aardvark doing backstroke, and smiling in anticipation?
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129710 on: August 13, 2022, 11:28:16 pm »

mnem
*hides over there*

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #129711 on: August 14, 2022, 02:03:28 am »
Also...

Tonight on the bench is one of my HP 5340A 18GHz frequency counters. And yes, they are both nixie versions of course8)

This one is the good one that I'm building up all nice with all the parts I have that are the newest revision and in the best condition.
The other will be assembled to a working state with the 2nd grade parts and sold off. (I bought one or two extra parts mules which were beyond repair so they were stripped down for parts aaggeess ago).

Here's hoping that the high frequency front end in at least one of these hasn't been blown, or I'll be on the hunt for more parts.....

Also, I got my hands on an Option 001 OCXO transformer, and designed a power supply PCB, all I need is the OCXO itself to get that option complete, but I have the Leo Bodnar GPSDO until then anyway. (Which I'll probably just use all the time but I do so love my options. :D )

General note: In ALL the units (4 so far) that I got my hands on, the big power capacitors have ALL been completely dried up and dead. Some even sounded like maracas they were so far gone.
I would suggest checking them and replacing them in any unit you come across....

you scared me!

enough to run downstairs and turn on the 5340a.  (it has been a long time since it was powered up)

looks ok.  but maybe it should be pulled out from under the stack and checked for real.  bought it about 10 years ago.  it came with a broken side rail but other than that don't remember ever having a need to pop the cover.

as we used to say in panama.........mañana.

At least these caps are screw-mounted types, so they are trivial to remove and stick on a current limited power supply to reform.
I chose a handful of the best ones from my junker units and have so far been successful in reforming the first few to around 5uA of leakage.
Once a set of caps is finished, I'll test them for capacitance, ESR and dissipation and stick them in the 'to sell' 5340A just to get it working.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129712 on: August 14, 2022, 02:11:46 am »
With of course the moat filled with piranha and a drawbridge over it that you can pull up and keep mad redheads at bay.

If you want to be unpleasant to someone, call the police. If you want to be mean, call the tax inspector. If you want to be vicious, call HMRC. HMRC has nastier abilities than the police, stemming from the days before police, and when they travelled on horses and used candles. A moat won't keep them out unless you use lethal force.

<snip>

It's not the Piranhas you really need to worry aboot anyways... it's the schools of Candiru he imported to keep them company.  >:D

mnem
*toddles off to ded* :=\

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129713 on: August 14, 2022, 03:17:12 am »

<snip>
Good luck with that!
I expect that you'll see them counted, numbered and weighed in the next HMRC auction!
Oh, and you'll be taxed for them!

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #129714 on: August 14, 2022, 05:42:26 am »
@Mansaxel

Maybe you can get one of those: Agilent E5810A - GPIB / RS232 to IP bridge

I'd love to. Fits just in with how I'd like to build my infrastructure. Much expensive they are, though.

Sometimes they show up cheap, like mine which I've bought after a heads-up from Zucca.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129715 on: August 14, 2022, 06:11:57 am »
Hamfest time. Wish us attendees luck. I pray to lord Cthulhu that Mercedes dick gets an engine warning light  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, grizewald, cyclin_al, AVGresponding

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #129716 on: August 14, 2022, 06:28:07 am »
Hamfest time. Wish us attendees luck. I pray to lord Cthulhu that Mercedes dick gets an engine warning light  :-DD

Happy hunting, BD!   :-+

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #129717 on: August 14, 2022, 07:14:02 am »
after a long needed good nite's sleep  (more than 5 hours first time in a month) I had breakfast, then unloaded 4 concrete blocks @56 kg each that will make the base for my initial quick win pv balcony plant.
2 Trina 400 panels-> microinverter and straight into the outlet of our garden shed. Quick fix, quick win, immediate result plus analysis how much I can get outta them. it should also give me an idea on how to size the battery charger.

I will need some tracking of the microinverter to determine how much juice I can indeed suck out of it.

and now ..
I vill meazure ze rooff off ze gahden shedt to deterrmin hou many pannels I cahn fitt ...
Zen haff a discussion wiff the loacal cahpenta about throwing zem on ze rooff ...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al, Zoli

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129718 on: August 14, 2022, 08:28:40 am »
There's a host of high end TE up on a hacked Australian fashionware account on ebay today. I've reported a couple, hopefully with the reports other people will be sending in it'll get taken down before they rip anyone off.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al, syau

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129719 on: August 14, 2022, 09:28:46 am »

<snip>

It's not the Piranhas you really need to worry aboot anyways... it's the schools of Candiru he imported to keep them company.  >:D

mnem
*toddles off to ded* :=\
Nothing a few simple wooden stakes can't fix  :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #129720 on: August 14, 2022, 09:41:28 am »
sticks are good. Charlie taught me something about the use of sticks for a decent intruder deterrent system.

The following users thanked this post: nixiefreqq

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #129721 on: August 14, 2022, 09:46:15 am »
I just got replacements for the suspected bad DS8880 display driver IC in the HP 432C RF Power Meter I was looking at a few months ago and got ambitious and finished troubleshooting it.

Used Photoshop to convert to B&W and mark up a pic of the driver board underside to document the connections:

(the problem child is the 'a' segment of the most significant digit on the left)

Soldered cut off leads to the 'a' segment connection on the IC and the ground pin, then turned things on to confirm that the display was still bad (didn't think it was a cold solder joint, but hope springs eternal...) - as expected, the problem was still there:

Grounding the missing segment through a 330Ω resistor (straight to ground caused the missing segment to be at a lower potential than the others being switched by the chip, extinguishing them) got it to light, giving the display end inter-board connections a clean bill of health and confirming the IC has failed:

Now I need to dismantle the display and replace the faulty IC - hope to find time later today to do so, but must hit the sack now as it's almost six AM in these parts.   :palm: :palm: :palm:

-Pat

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, nixiefreqq, Kosmic, cyclin_al, AVGresponding, Zoli, DH7DN

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129722 on: August 14, 2022, 09:55:19 am »
Quick Hamfest report

1x HP204D £10
1x Farnell TM6 RF voltmeter £15
2x ARRL books to bounce £3
2x loads of trimmers £5

Hard to spend at these things  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al, AVGresponding, Zoli, duckduck

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129723 on: August 14, 2022, 09:59:04 am »
LR44 inside sleeving from the $2 shop is the simplest fastest fix for the now nearly unobtainium 15V cell.

V74PX / 10LR54 - 15V
Diameter: 16mm
Height: 35mm

LR44 - 1.5V
Diameter: 11.5mm
Height: 5.4mm

LR54 - 1.5V
Diameter: 11.6mm
Height: 3.05mm

LR41 - 1.5V
Diameter: 7.9mm
Height: 3.6mm

I think, the LR54 will fit better than the LR44 which is 2mm too high.

5xCR1632 and some change could be more stable emergency solution than the pictured one.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Triplett-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #129724 on: August 14, 2022, 10:01:59 am »
Quick Hamfest report

1x HP204D £10
1x Farnell TM6 RF voltmeter £15
2x ARRL books to bounce £3
2x loads of trimmers £5

Hard to spend at these things  :-DD

Did that 204D come from Israel?

-Pat

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens, factory, grizewald

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf