Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14788514 times)

Vince and 205 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #129825 on: August 15, 2022, 08:08:10 am »
For the nicotine glaze, I've found that at least for Japanese flavours, common dishsoap rips the stuff off much better than isopropyl alcohol etc.

best nicotine remover I have found is called red devil. used to clean arcade games, pinballs, etc that have been placed in those nicotine ridden gambling halls ...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, TERRA Operative, cyclin_al

Offline Zenith

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #129826 on: August 15, 2022, 08:25:01 am »

If you found HP 427As for £15 then that would be a bargain, I suspect you meant 432A or 435A/B, I'd still pick them up for spares myself at that price, assuming they were complete with feet etc, I think I have an early 432A here that needs a decent meter (has peeling scale disease), the 435 meter is not quite the same (scale labelling is slightly different).

The 1703A looks interesting, OK only 35MHz with analog storage CRT, but can run from low voltage DC, or an optional internal battery.
https://hpmemoryproject.org/an/pdf/sf_1700.pdf

David

I didn't look that closely but they weren't 432A (which I have) and they were HP power meters. To me they are basically useless, because of the probes. Anything HP is of interest, if the price is right, but for me that would have been a fiver apiece.

I know you are a connoisseur of these things, and had you been there and seen them, you might have snapped them up.

The seller said that the HP1703 had an EHT fault, so it might be a difficult fix. Analogue storage scopes tended to have expensive and short lived tubes. It's one to investigate in the long winter months. I expect I shall be able to extract £10 of value/entertainment from it.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #129827 on: August 15, 2022, 08:34:36 am »

The seller said that the HP1703 had an EHT fault, so it might be a difficult fix. Analogue storage scopes tended to have expensive and short lived tubes. It's one to investigate in the long winter months. I expect I shall be able to extract £10 of value/entertainment from it.

Tek storage CRT's also have a somewhat short lifespan but can still be used as a "normal" CRT long after the storage function has gone kaput. Don't know if hp storage CRT's can do the same.

Finding a good replacement is a rainbow colored unicorn.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, DH7DN

Offline Zenith

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #129828 on: August 15, 2022, 08:45:43 am »

Tek storage CRT's also have a somewhat short lifespan but can still be used as a "normal" CRT long after the storage function has gone kaput. Don't know if hp storage CRT's can do the same.

I was told by someone who spent many years designing oscilloscopes, and the last 15 years of his working life repairing oscilloscopes, that they went dim very quickly and were generally a PITA. He didn't single out any maker as better or worse.

I have a working HP analogue storage scope and that's something of a PITA to use as a normal scope.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129829 on: August 15, 2022, 09:31:58 am »

If you found HP 427As for £15 then that would be a bargain, I suspect you meant 432A or 435A/B, I'd still pick them up for spares myself at that price, assuming they were complete with feet etc, I think I have an early 432A here that needs a decent meter (has peeling scale disease), the 435 meter is not quite the same (scale labelling is slightly different).

The 1703A looks interesting, OK only 35MHz with analog storage CRT, but can run from low voltage DC, or an optional internal battery.
https://hpmemoryproject.org/an/pdf/sf_1700.pdf

David

I didn't look that closely but they weren't 432A (which I have) and they were HP power meters. To me they are basically useless, because of the probes. Anything HP is of interest, if the price is right, but for me that would have been a fiver apiece.

I know you are a connoisseur of these things, and had you been there and seen them, you might have snapped them up.

I did consider the 1703 for the knobs and parts if I'm honest. The EHT on them is actually fairly simple though so it might be fixable.

I bought another member of that series a couple of years back for £2 that was rancid just for the parts.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 09:33:53 am by bd139 »

Offline Zenith

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #129830 on: August 15, 2022, 09:48:09 am »
I did consider the 1703 for the knobs and parts if I'm honest. The EHT on them is actually fairly simple though so it might be fixable.

I bought another member of that series a couple of years back for £2 that was rancid just for the parts.

I was mainly eyeing up the knobs.

If I fixed it, it would be embarrassing. I would give myself a pat on the back for sorting it out, but it would then be junk rather than rubbish. It would be a fairly useless working scope. But I'd feel reluctant to use it cruelly and rob it of its knobs and any other useful bits. That's not so say I wouldn't do it, but I'd feel a twinge.

Not to attempt to fix it is a few hours of innocent amusement turned down.

The dilemmas this TE addiction presents.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #129831 on: August 15, 2022, 09:52:13 am »
Did I mention that I obtained the missing knobs for the Yamaha KX 260 tapedeck ?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #129832 on: August 15, 2022, 09:53:27 am »

I was told by someone who spent many years designing oscilloscopes, and the last 15 years of his working life repairing oscilloscopes, that they went dim very quickly and were generally a PITA. He didn't single out any maker as better or worse.

I have a working HP analogue storage scope and that's something of a PITA to use as a normal scope.

They always were a pain in the backside, and the principal use case for digitising scope. A Tek 464 a few of years ago merely confirmed that opinion, before I flipped it.

Having said that, as I mentioned to you yesterday, I have a 3 channel dual beam 10MHz Telequipment DM63 storage scope that is actually pleasant to use (now that the trace doesn't fade at 100Hz :) ) I was planning on flipping it for the reasons above and to reclaim space, but now I'm in two minds!
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #129833 on: August 15, 2022, 10:21:25 am »
Usagi is using here one boat anchor of a scope and I think, it's not a Tek one:

https://youtu.be/ryBe6NTYSe0?t=627

Edit:

Found the restoring video of this thing: it is an HP 150A:

« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 10:31:25 am by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129834 on: August 15, 2022, 10:25:20 am »
Usagi is using here one boat anchor of a scope and I think, it not a Tek one:

https://youtu.be/ryBe6NTYSe0?t=627

It's an HP don't know the model but suspect military variant of 150A

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #129835 on: August 15, 2022, 11:02:36 am »
Mmmmm...  Nixie goodness!   :-+ :-+

Yup; in two forms, filtered and unfiltered as per https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg4244440/#msg4244440

The more I use the the less I dislike them, which doesn't bode well for my flipping them :(

Well, I gritted my teeth and succeeded in flipping the 1620 at yesterdays hamfest, for a pleasingly large amount.

This looks almost like a 1420... for £499.99, without a "make offer" button.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174991878233
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Zenith

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #129836 on: August 15, 2022, 11:24:35 am »
CT type number and a Copenacre sticker on it. It has to be a special variant for the military. This could be a good or bad thing. It looks to be in as nice a cosmetic condition as could be hoped for.

For £500, he's having a larf.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #129837 on: August 15, 2022, 11:25:51 am »
Ooopsie!
Looks like these went through some transmutation:

Brought this one from a Düsseldorf weekend trip, after killing its original contents it fits crappy power banks ...

For the TE records:

At least, I've got a lifetime supply of crappy powerbank electronics:

These are the worst I've seen (until now, there's always room to worsen this stuff further). The "standard" single cell protection chip, charging controlled by nothing than a diode, resistor and said chip. The 5V step-up converter is never turned off and sucks the cell do death within a year.

Anyway, from some experiments and experience, the recovered cells should be good for an average 1500mAh at light loads. Useful for replacing dead 3.6V NiCd NiMH packs and some other purposes.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 11:44:25 am by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, ch_scr, DC1MC, cyclin_al, m k

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #129838 on: August 15, 2022, 12:15:31 pm »
Have I done anything with those "Arduino" parts I got from the friend?

Well I took a Mega board and lashed up two of the sensors - Bosch BME680 and a CCS811 air quality sensors along with an OLED display. After being a little fussy (breadboard connections) it worked. Got data from both sensors. Don't know if they've ever been activated before. Anyway ... maybe another project. Perhaps a portable air quality sensor to bring with me to certain houses to warn me of the air quality in there!

:-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, mnementh, capt bullshot, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al, Zoli

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #129839 on: August 15, 2022, 12:51:16 pm »
I'm sorry Robert, that's not an option.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #129840 on: August 15, 2022, 01:20:27 pm »

Well I took a Mega board and lashed up two of the sensors - Bosch BME680 and a CCS811 air quality sensors along with an OLED display. After being a little fussy (breadboard connections) it worked. Got data from both sensors. Don't know if they've ever been activated before. Anyway ... maybe another project. Perhaps a portable air quality sensor to bring with me to certain houses to warn me of the air quality in there!

When entering a Hobo residence wouldn't your nose tell you all you need to know and run in the other direction?  :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #129841 on: August 15, 2022, 01:23:58 pm »

When entering a Hobo residence wouldn't your nose tell you all you need to know and run in the other direction?  :P :-DD

Yea but that's subjective, this will document it to show them evidence.  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #129842 on: August 15, 2022, 02:01:21 pm »
End of sale update, that Peak ESR60 on eBay went in then end for £43.
Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, m'self.

mnem
 :-/O
Me neither, I only knew because eBay emailed me telling me that it was finishing soon and they knew that I'd viewed it and that was only because of the link posted here. I think I have enough cap and ESR testers anyway, and a Peak device would be one of the last things I'd consider.

Of the "lets abuse a microprocessor to do what a real piece of TE should do" Chinesium testers out there, the PEAK/ATLAS brand is probably one of the best product lines out there. It was the ESR60 in particular that I wouldn't touch, as I know from experience its inputs are unprotected.

Cheers,

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129843 on: August 15, 2022, 02:05:24 pm »
For the nicotine glaze, I've found that at least for Japanese flavours, common dishsoap rips the stuff off much better than isopropyl alcohol etc.

best nicotine remover I have found is called red devil. used to clean arcade games, pinballs, etc that have been placed in those nicotine ridden gambling halls ...

Best formula I've found is to just keep walking...  :-DD

mnem
"There's enough misery to go around without grabbing for more." ~Gramma Eddurds
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129844 on: August 15, 2022, 02:26:21 pm »
I was mainly eyeing up the knobs.

Saucy!  :)

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129845 on: August 15, 2022, 02:30:26 pm »
Ooopsie!   Looks like these went through some transmutation:   

Good lord Cap'n... how many of those fukkin' things did you scrap?

The BMS on that looks like one of the common dual-chip designs; I see what should be one of the SOT363 chips managing charging, the other OVP/ODP, and the third is the buck/boost regulator. I see this arrangement used in all manner of cheap Lixx-powered consumer electronics nowadays, so you should have a good store of those chips for repair parts.  :-+

What you need to look out for in these is they will often leverage the OVP to control charging with just the one chip, then apply 5V dropped through a diode to that. The OVP is supposed to be secondary protection, not primary charge control.

RANDOM MUSINGS MODE

The TSSOP-8 TP4056 is a much more robust BMS overall, and still one of the cheapest solutions in existence; I have no idea why they keep making these horrible kludges of SOT363 chips, except maybe they can all be placed in a single stop on the line with the same machine/no tooling changes...?  :-//

/RANDOM MUSINGS

mnem

edited: completely wrong package type. d'oh!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 02:45:17 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129846 on: August 15, 2022, 02:40:44 pm »

Yea but that's subjective, this will document it to show them evidence.  :-DD

This line of reasoning presumes that one would willingly be close enough to present that evidence in person.   ;)

mnem
I make no such promises. >:D

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #129847 on: August 15, 2022, 03:23:48 pm »

mnem
Me neither, I only knew because eBay emailed me telling me that it was finishing soon and they knew that I'd viewed it and that was only because of the link posted here. I think I have enough cap and ESR testers anyway, and a Peak device would be one of the last things I'd consider.

Of the "lets abuse a microprocessor to do what a real piece of TE should do" Chinesium testers out there, the PEAK/ATLAS brand is probably one of the best product lines out there. It was the ESR60 in particular that I wouldn't touch, as I know from experience its inputs are unprotected.

Cheers,

mnem

*Puts a DCA75 back on the shopping list...
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, bd139

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129848 on: August 15, 2022, 03:28:35 pm »
Well, I cave in and bought a Fluke pug  :palm:

I wanted a good thermocouple based ac voltmeter for a while and found this Fluke 8921A for not a lot of money (thank you Gixen for allowing me to snipe my way out  ;D). The Fluke 892X series was introduced around 1978 and was based on their new hybrid true rms converter. It was a direct competitor to the HP 3403C and was apparently cheaper when introduced to the market (1000$ vs 2600$).

From the side you can surely appreciate the nice yellowing, typical on Fluke instrument from that vintage.

Since I'm not necessarily interested to remove the shield, the inside is particularly uninteresting.

I like the fact that you can directly adjust the dBm reference on the front panel and don't need to do the conversion yourself. The meter read a bit low though and will probably need to be recalibrated and adjusted.

Still provide good performance at 20Mhz.

-3dB point is around 41MHz.

On the 2mV range, sensitivity is really good and can go as low as -65dBm (125uVrms).

« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 03:56:19 pm by Kosmic »

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #129849 on: August 15, 2022, 03:59:12 pm »

mnem

Cheers,

mnem

*Puts a DCA75 back on the shopping list...

I have the DCA55. Very confident little bugger that. I like it a lot. Does one thing, does it well, and gives clear, exploitable results.

(And for L/C/R I've got the DE-5000, so don't see the need for a Peak device at the moment. )

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf