Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14811587 times)

romal76, Mortymore and 98 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #129950 on: August 16, 2022, 06:06:35 pm »
Your cap looks like it traps some water like the S-bend or P-trap or whatever it's called in your area, to prevent gasses and smells coming up out of the pipes.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129951 on: August 16, 2022, 06:16:14 pm »
Now. Better but not perfect.   

The red banana plug is mostly held together with glue and can not be undone properly. Will need some more work.

Ugghh... I hate when peeples do dat. Especially when it's me, and I have to go back and try to undo it later... |O

Did you get the friction roller/fine adjustment wheel dingus working properly?

mnem

Yeah annoys me too. I will probably replace both the red and black ones if I can find some matching HP ones

As for the friction thing it works really well after a clean  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, wolfy007, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #129952 on: August 16, 2022, 06:29:48 pm »
Well that was ridiculously easy. Testors black enamel model paint.  :-+

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, Cubdriver, BU508A, mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al, Zoli, BILLPOD, Atomillo

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129953 on: August 16, 2022, 06:50:21 pm »
Your cap looks like it traps some water like the S-bend or P-trap or whatever it's called in your area, to prevent gasses and smells coming up out of the pipes.

Yes once the cap is installed into the white " female " part, it makes indeed for an 'S' shaped chicane.

to prevent smells ?! Hmmm..... didn't think of that  !  I have an extremely poor sense of smell in general, so most odours that annoy people, I can't even detect at all.

OK maybe I better put that cap back on now, and just pop it off to give the white part a good clean every time I notice the flow is getting slow. Now that I have a diagnosis and a quick and easy and cheap fix / solution, I am happy. No need for an endoscope and no need to spend fortunes all the time for cleaning products...

Sanding / wood : while at the H/W store I had a quick look at the small sanding machines.... boy even the small ones cost a lot ! 150 Euros for a decent brand ! :scared:
The cheap ones are like 35 to 70 Euros, still quite a bit for the crap it is... it's not like a sanding machine in 2022 was some rocket science....just a crap chinese motor in a crap chine plastic case.... come on...  :--

Too expensive so will wait for my first pay check to show up on my account, if I make it that far that is.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 07:26:55 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129954 on: August 16, 2022, 06:51:27 pm »
When I leave work I will head straight to the H/W store to buy a rubber plunger, then to the super market to get some drain cleaner... and hope I can't fix it this way.

you should be able to free any blocked tube with multitudes of 50 grams ...

No I can't do that !  :scared:
I still have 23 years to go to repay the bank / loan... can't afford to blow the house just yet....

So I went to the H/W store and left with a 7 Euro rubber plunger and a 5 Euro bottle of the most powerful drain cleaner they had.
Instructions on the bottle say that it's so powerful it will eat metal and stone/tiles.... so first thing I did was remove the little metal grill.

And.... oh... WTF is that.... the sink is PLUGGED with a big grey PVC plastic thingy ?!  :wtf:
I removed it, it's hollow and shaped like a bowl, installed upside down...

Looks like it's meant to catch small debris to keep it from entering the drain pipe... but there is such a tiny gap/clearance between that bowl and its surroundings, that it took just a couple hair to clog it !
Once I removed it, I could see zero blockage in the drain, clear hole. Shoved the shower hand piece whatever its called, onto it, water flow full blast, and it drains just fine !  :o

So the problem was this "chicane", which was too restrictive for its own good, was being counter productive. So I might as well remove it... the metal grill is plenty enough to keep debris out.
Or maybe I can put the chicane back in place and now I know this is the problem, simply pull it out when needed, and give the sink a good flush to remove the debris stuck in it.

So for 2 and half years now, I have been spending money, and polluting the environment, with a bottle of cleaner every 2 months.... when all it was was that clogged up chicane that takes 30 seconds to remove and rinse/clean... oh dear....  :palm:

I apologize, my dear planet / environment, lesson learned...

Well the cleaner and rubber plunger I will keep anyway, cost me only 12 Euros total, and can always be useful, for real this time, one day...

PS : I survived my first day of training at work. Think I will survive the second and last training day tomorrow, but don't think I will survive Thursday and Friday once I am left on my own. Oh well....
Girl I am replacing will land at another Airbus plant literally down the road (where I was for 3+ years before I got fired), doing other stuff... I managed to get her to give me her personal phone number so I can contact her in case I am in great distress / panic / hitting a brick wall. Turns out she is not as incompetent as the manager said she was.... she manages just fine.... it's just that it's not her cup of tea (she is not very technical savvy at all), and just prefers to go do something else... She stayed only for one month.. and apparently had only one single day of training back then ! So me having TWO days with her, is quite an improvement I guess !   :palm:

Have some confidence in yourself and you'll be just fine.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #129955 on: August 16, 2022, 06:52:27 pm »
Looks like ebay have just completely ruined their mobile app, namely the saved searches. Might save me some money, as I won't be looking at it much, it's completely broken.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129956 on: August 16, 2022, 06:55:19 pm »
Yep I think you're right, I doubt that there was enough space to fit a conventional trap beneath the tray.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129957 on: August 16, 2022, 06:57:16 pm »
Looks like ebay have just completely ruined their mobile app, namely the saved searches. Might save me some money, as I won't be looking at it much, it's completely broken.
So is their feedback system, most time I sell anything these days I get no feedback left, yet I always leave feedback for others  :rant:
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #129958 on: August 16, 2022, 06:59:05 pm »

Indeed; it's a "water lock" as we say in Sweden.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #129959 on: August 16, 2022, 07:05:44 pm »
Nope... the ESR60 I had in my repair shop in Florida warned of no protection right on the front of it. There was some aftermarket hackery made to give some small measure of protection, which I suppose PEAK/ATLAS might have adopted as a revision... but key point is it did not have the isolation relay in the frontend to keep the measuring bits out of circuit until the cap was safely discharged that the ESR70 and later had.

After that, no interest in the ESR60 under any circumstances. I know that if I did dare to buy one, it would probably be mine (or the same exact version) come back around on the great wheel to bite my scaly dwagon arse after unloading it on the Bay of Fleas:-DD

mnem
 :blah:
I think that you might find that the model you worked on or saw in that repair shop was a very early model, they certainly do have protection now, and they carry out controlled discharging before doing test.
No, it was mine, I used it every day. I also repaired it several times after blowing it up.

Like I said... if I were to ever allow that thought the merest possibility of the slightest chance of even daring to imagine crossing my mind, I know that Murphy would somehow make me suffer.

All y'alls kin keep yer ESR60. I'm not interested in anything less than the ESR70Gold or maybe a DCA75Pro ATM. I certainly wouldn't give almost 50 quid (the listing in question) for a used one of unknown provenance.

mnem
 :-//
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #129960 on: August 16, 2022, 07:07:53 pm »
And now for something completely different: A Gossen Konstanter!

Helped that sweet baby to not be thrown into the garbage bin. Last checkup is not long ago, so I plugged it in and ... it was dead. No meter movement when turning the knobs. A quick check indicated the
primary fuse was not blown and the fan was shuffling some air through the innards.
It had some scratches and needed some cleaning, so I undressed it and gave it a wash. Brushed all the dust away and inspected the boards. Nothing blown, no caps leaking. At a second test, all was fine: voltage regulates, current limits OK, a test with a 30R resistor was successful (and gave quite some smell of hot components). So I assembled everything and it seems to be ready for laboratory use.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129961 on: August 16, 2022, 07:08:24 pm »

Seems ok on iOS  :popcorn:

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #129962 on: August 16, 2022, 07:10:55 pm »
Part 2 of the Gossen: Load with a 30R resistor.

Forgot to say: The fan is very quiet. It is running all time.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 07:13:48 pm by dl6lr »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, med6753, mnementh, bd139, Kosmic, cyclin_al, DH7DN

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129963 on: August 16, 2022, 07:11:46 pm »
Nope... the ESR60 I had in my repair shop in Florida warned of no protection right on the front of it. There was some aftermarket hackery made to give some small measure of protection, which I suppose PEAK/ATLAS might have adopted as a revision... but key point is it did not have the isolation relay in the frontend to keep the measuring bits out of circuit until the cap was safely discharged that the ESR70 and later had.

After that, no interest in the ESR60 under any circumstances. I know that if I did dare to buy one, it would probably be mine (or the same exact version) come back around on the great wheel to bite my scaly dwagon arse after unloading it on the Bay of Fleas:-DD

mnem
 :blah:
I think that you might find that the model you worked on or saw in that repair shop was a very early model, they certainly do have protection now, and they carry out controlled discharging before doing test.
No, it was mine, I used it every day. I also repaired it several times after blowing it up.

Like I said... if I were to ever allow that thought the merest possibility of the slightest chance of even daring to imagine crossing my mind, I know that Murphy would somehow make me suffer.

All y'alls kin keep yer ESR60. I'm not interested in anything less than the ESR70Gold or maybe a DCA75Pro ATM. I certainly wouldn't give almost 50 quid (the listing in question) for a used one of unknown provenance.

mnem
 :-//

Neither would I, its a discontinued product now anyway.
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #129964 on: August 16, 2022, 07:19:54 pm »
And now for something completely different: A Gossen Konstanter!

I showed this picture (the front panel shot, if SMF decides to be SMF and not DTRT.) to Wife and Middle Boy and they were most taken in by the clean beauty of the German industrial design. "Cute", "Clean" and other positive adjectives were uttered. Someone stated I married well the other day, and I agree.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129965 on: August 16, 2022, 07:26:20 pm »
I would also agree with your last statement :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #129966 on: August 16, 2022, 08:41:35 pm »

You have to wonder what went down when these HP's were first released with jacks all the same color.  ::)
I imagine a good deal of HP techs at the time flabbergasted that one of their products with polarity sensitive jacks all of the same color could make it to the marketplace.

Any old chaps here know about any cooler dispenser chat from those times ?
Seems like the dumb shit Chinese have become famous for............
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline david77

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #129967 on: August 16, 2022, 08:43:44 pm »
Mmm Gossen Konstanter... I like  :-+ And looks like new, too, hope you get it working again.

Offline Vadim Bellous

« Reply #129968 on: August 16, 2022, 08:50:05 pm »
Hay, Vince, did you have any success swapping out that VFD in your Fluke 8845A. I'm asking because I have two of the same displays (same numbers and layout in your picture) I bought from eBay a few years back. When I got them, I desoldered one of the displays from its driver board and noticed that the VFD itself is a bit different. It has two additional pins (17 pins in the middle row, not the 3 pins on each side) compared to the VFD in my Fluke 8845A with 15 pins. Also, the patterns on the backs of the displays don't match either. That's when I lost all interest, |O leaving them in a drawer for a few years, having to continue to endure a below my standards display brightness. At least until a few days ago, when I ran in to the displays again and was thinking it might still be possible to get them working (possibly with a different pin configuration). Or maybe try to connect the display with its driver board (if it will fit). Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #129969 on: August 16, 2022, 08:55:54 pm »
You have to wonder what went down when these HP's were first released with jacks all the same color.  ::)

I imagine a good deal of HP techs at the time flabbergasted that one of their products with polarity sensitive jacks all of the same color could make it to the marketplace. Any old chaps here know about any cooler dispenser chat from those times ?   Seems like the dumb shit Chinese have become famous for............
It is my understanding that the reasoning was that these meter inputs are isolated from GND, therefore the LO side should not be assumed to be negative, or even the negative-most point in a particular circuit.

This is why they are labeled HI and LO for "point of highest positive potential" and "point of lowest positive potential" under test. Also why there's a max V differential compared to GUARD/GND.

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 09:01:08 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Zenith

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #129970 on: August 16, 2022, 08:58:40 pm »

I imagine a good deal of HP techs at the time flabbergasted that one of their products with polarity sensitive jacks all of the same color could make it to the marketplace.

Dunno. It was before my time. But HP had a reputation for being largely autonomous divisions with rivalries, and very often a determination to do things their own way for the sake of it.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #129971 on: August 16, 2022, 09:03:13 pm »

It is my understanding that the reasoning was that these meter inputs are isolated from GND, therefore the LO side should not be assumed to be negative, or even the negative-most point in a particular circuit.

This is why they are labeled HI and LO... for "point of highest positive potential" and "point of lowest positive potential" under test.

mnem
 :-/O
Yeah well it's still a dumb decision IMO when if we look at Med's old SDM3055 the input jacks layout looks and makes more sense than the HP abomination.  ::)

Also with the potential to be elevated above GND.  :popcorn:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129972 on: August 16, 2022, 09:05:50 pm »
Another epic fail on eBay  :palm:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392307615721
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al, AVGresponding, Atomillo

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129973 on: August 16, 2022, 09:09:08 pm »

Dunno. It was before my time. But HP had a reputation for being largely autonomous divisions with rivalries, and very often a determination to do things their own way for the sake of it.

That’s how my company thinks it works. Really it’s a Frankenstein grade monster made of fast food remains sifted out of a bin sewn together with discarded CAT 5 and reanimated by a thousand souls crushed beneath the boots of the death march of misguided progress.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129974 on: August 16, 2022, 09:09:23 pm »

Are they polarity sensitive, it is a digital meter after all and so surely the display will show a negative number if the leads are reversed just like any other DMM?
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf