Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14557942 times)

Jambalaya and 27 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #130225 on: August 19, 2022, 03:08:54 pm »
Just got some good news. It's A-level results day here. Results through. Eldest got her first university choice so day of celebrations  ;D. She's off to study biochem. No soldering irons there but good luck to her  :-DD

Waitaminnit... yer daughter is going into biochem...?  :o

Why am I imagining this scenario in the near future...?  :-DD

mnem
welcome to Jurassic World.  >:D

Yep. Biochem and bioinformatics basically. So fingers crossed she'll do something good rather than something evil  :scared:. I actually know three biochemists. One makes detergent perfumes and the other two are operations engineers now. Will see where it goes...

Also, such a good film if you remove all the stupid bits from it. This one gets me every time  :-DD.

https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/top-25-films-with-unrealistic-computer-scenes/

You're well-commmme!   :-DD

mnem
"There's 25 minutes of your life you'll never get back..."  >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130226 on: August 19, 2022, 03:10:43 pm »
bd139
I hope you don't mind and please correct me if my memory is shot but I dropped your little Brymen BM22s HV capability into Joe Smiths DMM thread:   https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hear-kitty-kitty-kitty-nope-not-that-kind-of-cat/msg4366615/#msg4366615

Yeah no worries there. The more people get to see the sick and twisted things I do the better  :-DD

Reminder in here as well  :-DD      It made crackling noises at 2Kv. Still works.

tzzzzzzzzt.

mnem
"I love the smell of ozone in the mornin'... smells like VICTORY!!!"    >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130227 on: August 19, 2022, 03:14:34 pm »
...Now bd, you don't have to make up an excuse to get a DCA55! But my advice would be to get a DCA75+ instead. :popcorn:

Resolved that inconsistency. So there was 1 out of 34 which was an NPN. And of course that's the turd I stood in  :-DD

As for the DCA75 comment, that is EXACTLY the kind of enablement I expect from this thread.

Alas I can't buy anything at the moment as I'm moving on Friday next week so risk not actually being at home when it arrives.

*coughhold at location deliverycough*

mnem
You know you want to. >:D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130228 on: August 19, 2022, 03:21:29 pm »
The Anniversary Project Table is encouraging all sorts of family fun; tonight after dinner we played Exploding Kittens for the first time. I led with Catomic Bomb right out the gate to take out MIL. Son got to wear the Cone of Shame, and wifey had to hit me with 2 Nope/Directed Attack combos in a row to win.

This game is perversely addictive; the basic strategy is be a dick to everybody to win. :-DD

mnem

We do exploding kittens here. A strategy tip: save ALL your skip and see the future cards and attack cards to the end, then burn them on the remaining player. Literally haven't lost a game now. I suspect it's flawed.
There is also a very similar game called Exploding Minions, but without the cone of shame.

Yes, evidently the Cone of Shame is from the Imploding Kittens expansion pack. I got the Exploding Kittens: Recipes for Disaster starter kit as a birthday present for my dad, since it has supposedly 112 of the "best of the best, most popular cards" and several gameplay variants, plus a ready-built "Starter Deck" for complete noobs (us). So far a very fun experience and worth the "box set" pricetag.

mnem
I highly recommend this diversion. :-+
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 08:20:02 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130229 on: August 19, 2022, 03:43:01 pm »
Why is the engineer any better than the generic cheapies?

I've got a Soldapullt, which is bit like a reverse air pistol, and a couple of cheapies and I usually use the cheapies because they are smaller. I also had a desoldering iron with a one shot pump, but I found that was useless. I've always found solder pumps a bit hit and miss, sometimes they work like magic and sometimes they don't.

Yeah that's the problem I had. But most of the time they didn't work and you ended up knackering something in the process.

Good video here where one actually works  :-DD

https://youtu.be/WyiA4Giw5IM?t=295

Actually worth watching for any Tek fans as well.
   Another thing is the silicone tip is not hard like other solder suckers.

It can form itself to the work area and so the suction is applied with less leakage around it.

They're not the first to do this; in fact, after seeing a similar solder-sucker with a red silicone nozzle, I've used silicone tubing jammed up on my Chinesium SoldaPullt from time to time to get certain problem desoldering jobs done. Problem is that sooner or later the silicone burns from pressure directly at the soldering iron tip, and the mass of the silicone actually cools the work unacceptably in some cases.

Ultimately, the main factors which determine how well one of these work are:

1) Can you apply enough heat to the joint to melt all solder and keep it fully melted?
2) Is your solder sucker made with sufficient volume/displacement and
3) is the spring heavy/strong enough to move the piston fast enough to create enough velocity of moving air to do the job?

1) is dependent on your iron, and technique/generous application of flux.
2/3 are dependent on the design of your solder sucker. Most of the "one-handed" ones simply don't suck enough... you need a big piston with long stroke and a big heavy spring like the original soldaPullt to get this. This means you need to prime it two-handed or do like I do, and prime it by pressing the plunger up against the bottom of your workbench. Over a trash can, so the crap goes right where it belongs and you don't even have to think aboot it. This keeps your workflow nice and smooth.

The big problem with a big solder-sucker is the inertia... there is sufficient recoil to damage SMDs and rip small traces off the PCB. This requires careful technique and knowing when to skip the sucker and go straight for solder-wick.

mnem
 :-/O

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130230 on: August 19, 2022, 03:56:20 pm »
More TE content. I'm on a roll recently. Bit of minor surgery on the Farnell TM6 as I'm on holiday again today  8). This has the potential to be a nice bit of kit if I can get it working properly.

So as mentioned earlier the RF head had disintegrated and half of it was stuck up the BNC end. No amount of enticing it out with pliers, cheese or peanut butter would work so I resorted to supergluing a chopstick to the slug left in the end of the sensor. This was left over from a Japanese takeaway I ashamedly ate with a fork. They are very useful tools when carved up with a Stanley knife and well worth not using for the intended task.

While that was drying the other half was inspected. Diodes good. Front end resistor is a 100 ohm one which is also good. Capacitor still doing capacitor things.

The two halves were reunited and the problem can be seen instantly. Terrible solder job. This roughly turns into a crap capacitor when installed in the unit so I'm hoping this is what causes it to read completely off.

Going to epoxy both ends on to the sensor head first so they don't come off again inside the tube.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Cubdriver, mnementh, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al, Zoli

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130231 on: August 19, 2022, 03:56:25 pm »
Hubby is trying to blackmail me. he said: kick out 3 pins and get the Legends of Valhalla.

I actually spent some time yesterday looking at the manufacturer's website... in all honesty, I was not at all impressed, by the LoV or any of their other pins.  :P

Uninspired game mechanics, High-school art class level artwork, and their treatment of the Backboard left me aghast... more sophomoric artwork surrounding a cheap 19" (I'm guessing) LCD doing double-duty as the counter and for cut scenes/gameplay narrative.

IMHO, as someone who grew up playing the greats with a pinball wizard/junkie for a mum, all it really has going for it is "that new pinball smell"...  :-//

I'd take your ST:TNG over it in a heartbeat; I'd drive over it with a truck to get to a Black Knight. ;)

mnem

"start 'em young, start 'em right..."
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 08:26:19 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130232 on: August 19, 2022, 03:58:37 pm »
Hello, my name is David and I am NOT a test equipaholic.

<snip>

Am I doing it right?

Yes, but keep in mind that you need one working scope to fix the broken scope too.

Or several "kind of working" scopes that are broken in different and interesting ways that you use cyclically and incrementally to fix each other.

Weirdly that doesn't sound as different from the day job as I'd like it to.  :(

Now you're talking about a fun weekend!  :-DD

mnem
 :-BROKE
"ohhh, yeahhhh..."
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 04:14:11 pm by mnementh »

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #130233 on: August 19, 2022, 04:04:01 pm »
@mnem currently I will not dole out the moolah as I have some other plans ... (awaiting a call regarding some time measurement devices that would seriously deplete my liquid funds ...)

Current pins:
Road Show
Starship Troopers
Bram Stokers Dracula
Flintstones
STTNG
Judge Dredd
Twilight Zone
Fish Tales

for complete restauration/reassembly:
Jokerz! (x2) (may go)
High Speed (potential keeper)
Earth Shaker (absofragginglutly keeper)
Grand Lizard (may go)
Terminator 2 (keeper)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130234 on: August 19, 2022, 04:05:33 pm »
with the help of my friends ...
the right one is my backup meter thanks to Neomys. The leads arrived, and the probes were still floating around.

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #130235 on: August 19, 2022, 04:06:55 pm »
I don't believe it is a scam. It looks as if he has no intention of selling it on ebay but he's listing it there to advertise it. It's for collection and I'd guess if someone was interested  and it was close enough, they could go with the money and see it working.

If someone reports him, ebay will ban his account. Why would anyone risk that, when they have 600-odd feedback and 100% good? Surely they can't be that stupid.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130236 on: August 19, 2022, 04:07:31 pm »
I wouldn’t recap it. There’s RIFAs on the inlet board and a nasty ass mains filter. Leave it at that. If the PSU isn’t whining audibly then I wouldn’t poke it. Super fragile they are.

When I got it, my 2230 had dried up caps in the prepreg and leaky diodes which I suspect were caused by those dried-up caps. I replaced them all with 800V fast Schottkys (I cannot remember the PN now) and Panasonic LX series electrolytics (I think). That made the ferrite XFMR stop singing. didn't work the 2nd go-round.  :-//

mnem
 :bullshit:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 06:50:24 pm by mnementh »

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130237 on: August 19, 2022, 04:23:19 pm »
I don't believe it is a scam. It looks as if he has no intention of selling it on ebay but he's listing it there to advertise it. It's for collection and I'd guess if someone was interested  and it was close enough, they could go with the money and see it working.

If someone reports him, ebay will ban his account. Why would anyone risk that, when they have 600-odd feedback and 100% good? Surely they can't be that stupid.

he had set a reserve price that would allow him to either sell at a price which would be acceptable or not sell and advertize instead.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130238 on: August 19, 2022, 04:29:25 pm »

I suspect it is more the fact that he knows what he's selling is the equivalent of a empty 7000-series mainframe, and is not interested in playing the whole "it doesn't work because there's no cards in it; gimme $3000 worth of cards in this box I bought for $600 (or whatever he wants) or I'll make your life hell!" game.

Can't blame him, I guess... but I'd still rather see it listed at auction as what it is: a empty box or at least a sane (even if listed high) Buy it Now price.

mnem
 :popcorn:

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130239 on: August 19, 2022, 04:29:43 pm »
... 800V fast Schottkeys ...

That's "Schottky". It's one of those words that no one seems to be able to spell without looking up, myself included. Like Schneier, as in Bruce Schneier, that I always end up typing as the much more common Schneider or Schreiber.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Zenith

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #130240 on: August 19, 2022, 04:38:05 pm »

Reading the listing, it sounds as he's pretty fed up with ebay and their scale of charges, so he quite likely doesn't care and is prepared to chance it.

The following users thanked this post: scl, Specmaster, AVGresponding

Offline Zenith

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #130241 on: August 19, 2022, 04:52:23 pm »

I suspect it is more the fact that he knows what he's selling is the equivalent of a empty 7000-series mainframe, and is not interested in playing the whole "it doesn't work because there's no cards in it; gimme $3000 worth of cards in this box I bought for $600 (or whatever he wants) or I'll make your life hell!" game.

Can't blame him, I guess... but I'd still rather see it listed at auction as what it is: a empty box or at least a sane (even if listed high) Buy it Now price.

mnem
 :popcorn:

I can't see anyone buying a thing like that, for more than the price of a round of drinks, unless they knew exactly what they were buying, and had the modules, or needed spares, or had some other good reason for buying it.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #130242 on: August 19, 2022, 05:01:21 pm »
I wouldn’t recap it. There’s RIFAs on the inlet board and a nasty ass mains filter. Leave it at that. If the PSU isn’t whining audibly then I wouldn’t poke it. Super fragile they are.

Nah, gonna go balls deep and re-cap the entire PSU plus and bunch of semi's too that are known to puke themselves.

If it blows up in my face you have my full permission to laugh your arse off.  ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, TERRA Operative, cyclin_al

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #130243 on: August 19, 2022, 05:25:32 pm »

Except the output filter caps on the PSU should be replaced with new Low-ESR parts, they are known for being bad, and completing the service notes for upgrading the PSU to make it more reliable, and maybe a fan too to keep things cool, and replacing the input MOV's with upgraded parts, and the resistors in the focus circuit which are notorious for going bad, and and and... did I forget anything?  |O  :-DD
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #130244 on: August 19, 2022, 05:43:50 pm »
Why is the engineer any better than the generic cheapies?

I've got a Soldapullt, which is bit like a reverse air pistol, and a couple of cheapies and I usually use the cheapies because they are smaller. I also had a desoldering iron with a one shot pump, but I found that was useless. I've always found solder pumps a bit hit and miss, sometimes they work like magic and sometimes they don't.

Yeah that's the problem I had. But most of the time they didn't work and you ended up knackering something in the process.

Good video here where one actually works  :-DD

https://youtu.be/WyiA4Giw5IM?t=295

Actually worth watching for any Tek fans as well.
   Another thing is the silicone tip is not hard like other solder suckers.

It can form itself to the work area and so the suction is applied with less leakage around it.

They're not the first to do this; in fact, after seeing a similar solder-sucker with a red silicone nozzle, I've used silicone tubing jammed up on my Chinesium SoldaPullt from time to time to get certain problem desoldering jobs done. Problem is that sooner or later the silicone burns from pressure directly at the soldering iron tip, and the mass of the silicone actually cools the work unacceptably in some cases.

Ultimately, the main factors which determine how well one of these work are:

1) Can you apply enough heat to the joint to melt all solder and keep it fully melted?
2) Is your solder sucker made with sufficient volume/displacement and
3) is the spring heavy/strong enough to move the piston fast enough to create enough velocity of moving air to do the job?

1) is dependent on your iron, and technique/generous application of flux.
2/3 are dependent on the design of your solder sucker. Most of the "one-handed" ones simply don't suck enough... you need a big piston with long stroke and a big heavy spring like the original soldaPullt to get this. This means you need to prime it two-handed or do like I do, and prime it by pressing the plunger up against the bottom of your workbench. Over a trash can, so the crap goes right where it belongs and you don't even have to think aboot it. This keeps your workflow nice and smooth.

The big problem with a big solder-sucker is the inertia... there is sufficient recoil to damage SMDs and rip small traces off the PCB. This requires careful technique and knowing when to skip the sucker and go straight for solder-wick.

mnem
 :-/O

Yup.  Just go with a classic Soldapullt DS017.  Big, can be recocked one handed.  If need be, slip a piece of silicone tubing over the nozzle.

Since getting a desoldering iron I mostly use mine to clean things like lugs on transformers and switches and terminal strips  & the like where there are larger volumes of solder to deal with, but it also occasionally comes out for boards if I'm away from the bench where the desoldering station is.  It just works.  (Though in some cases, as mnem stated above, wick is the way to go for delicate things.)  Horses for courses - the more tools you have in your arsenal the better the chance that you can pick the best one for the job at hand.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #130245 on: August 19, 2022, 05:55:32 pm »

Reading the listing, it sounds as he's pretty fed up with ebay and their scale of charges, so he quite likely doesn't care and is prepared to chance it.

Seems to be the case, he's also posted it in BSW here!   ::)
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130246 on: August 19, 2022, 06:39:54 pm »
Thought I had posted this before, but maybe not.

HP 5210A Frequency Meter, the B model is similar, but the range switch & panel meter are scaled for RPM instead.

Calibration oscillator board.

Input amplifier board.

Trigger & binary divider board.

Pulse discriminator board.

Offset current source board.

Power supply board.

David
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 07:06:56 pm by factory »

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #130247 on: August 19, 2022, 06:47:06 pm »
Completely forgot about that one!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130248 on: August 19, 2022, 06:51:53 pm »
... 800V fast Schottkeys ...

That's "Schottky". It's one of those words that no one seems to be able to spell without looking up, myself included. Like Schneier, as in Bruce Schneier, that I always end up typing as the much more common Schneider or Schreiber.
You're absolutely right, and I knew that too, having looked it up to be sure not too long ago.  :palm:

mnem
D'oh!

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130249 on: August 19, 2022, 06:53:13 pm »
oh woe eeez me ...
bloody quick fingahz

I just could not keep them back and had to hit the bid button ...

"you are now the proud owner of a Trio / Kenwood KD-500 with an SME 3009 series III arm ..."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf