Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14884104 times)

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #131500 on: October 05, 2022, 07:56:18 pm »
VINTAGE RECAPPING

OK found some courage this evening... I started the chore of ordering the XXXXXX caps I need to recap my 6 pieces of Vintage TE.

Using Mouser then as I said.

They are great for all the small caps, but the big ones are astonishingly expensive. 6 Euros / USD for a 2,200uF 100V cap, and I need x4 of them. Then many more bigger ones still for the Tek 7603 PSU.

I need a few axial caps and these are silly prohibitive as well. Need a couple 330uF 25V. 6 Euros a pop at Mouser ! OK it's a Vishay, but still.
Checked on Reichelt, local to me then, well inside the Euro zone anywho. They sell it for.... 0.28 Euro, 20 times cheaper ! OK, it's not a Vishay... you do'nt even know what it is... you probably wouldn't want to know anyhow.... but still....I can't believe the cap situation has gone  so bad that I am now having to weight quality vs price, for a simple recapping ! :o
I guess this hobby is not in my budget, I should stick to playing Sudoku my computer....

I will have to rethink my recap plan....it's getting out of hand already.

I have only just started and it already looks like even when buying on a huge American site like Mouser... it's still far from affordable.

This is all very depressing.... I guess I should wait a few years to recap all my TE, the time for the war and COVID to be behind us and things to go back to normal.... but this will take years and I am not gonna tolerate all this TE sitting around waiting for caps for years, scattered i pieces all around the lab.

I don't see any satisfactory solution to this situation.... I am... severely depressed by this cap situation....   :-BROKE

The following users thanked this post: factory, Zoli

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #131501 on: October 05, 2022, 08:17:58 pm »
Yep shotgunning caps is only really the option when you have the budget.
Better to invest in an ESR meter and make correct calls on each cap.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131502 on: October 05, 2022, 08:40:23 pm »
Not got much further with the Tek 318 today, found the vertical deflection problem yesterday, none of the caps on the CRT board test bad with the ESR60, should probably have checked the vertical signal into the CRT board, but instead noticed the composite video out connector on the side.

A quick solution was the £1 CCTV monitor I got, after tweaking the monitor controls I now have a picture, sadly it tells me of more problems, including PRL fail (whatever that is) and T/H error, the second seems to relate to input boards A01/A02, great don't have the extenders needed.  |O

David

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131503 on: October 05, 2022, 10:01:09 pm »
What's the 10dB step at ~2GHz ?

It's the change from baseband to down converted coverage at about 3GHz and the Pre-amp is on below 3GHz.
Is it normal for such a step to be visible ?

Yes. Its perfectly normal. This is the noise floor of the instrument not a signal, the RBW is at maximum and amplitude on auto. Below is a picture off the web of a 8566A on a 2Ghz to 22GHz scan (i.e. all above the baseband) you can clearly see the step for each band of the converter.  The IFR analyser is flat to specification from 10 MHz to 18 GHz (Checked R&S microwave sig gen with output level conformed by power meter)

The following users thanked this post: Vince, tautech

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131504 on: October 05, 2022, 10:40:54 pm »

It's the change from baseband to down converted coverage at about 3GHz and the Pre-amp is on below 3GHz.
On the Agilent E44xx in my company lab it is slightly smaller, but visible too. Occurs somewhere in the same region.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131505 on: October 05, 2022, 10:43:01 pm »

Yes. Its perfectly normal. This is the noise floor of the instrument not a signal, the RBW is at maximum and amplitude on auto. Below is a picture off the web of a 8566A on a 2Ghz to 22GHz scan (i.e. all above the baseband) you can clearly see the step for each band of the converter.  The IFR analyser is flat to specification from 10 MHz to 18 GHz (Checked R&S microwave sig gen with output level conformed by power meter)
Thanks, not seen such before and I quite understand it would be negated with a Normalize.
Hmmm, compare that to this full 26.5 GHz sweep in the new SSA5000A where no step is visible with these settings.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #131506 on: October 06, 2022, 12:23:48 am »
@vince, the trick with axial capacitors is to not use axial capacitors. ;)

Solder a bit of tinned copper wire to the +ve lead to extend it a couple inches, bend it back along the can and cover the lot with some clear heatshrink.
Form the leads appropriately and pow, you have converted a radial capacitor to axial, with the benefit of having your choice of the newer tech and better parameters in a cheaper part (no-one is investing in making nice low-ESR / low-ESL radial caps...)

Like this:

« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 12:32:58 am by TERRA Operative »
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: david77, SeanB, Vince, syau, duckduck, m k, DH7DN

Offline doktor pyta

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #131507 on: October 06, 2022, 07:01:20 am »
Something for Tek lovers

The following users thanked this post: Per Hansson, alm

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131508 on: October 06, 2022, 07:39:35 am »

Thanks, not seen such before and I quite understand it would be negated with a Normalize.
Hmmm, compare that to this full 26.5 GHz sweep in the new SSA5000A where no step is visible with these settings.

That scan has a signal. The gain is reduced and the effect is less visible.  Note the floor is about 10dB lower on the IFR with no signal.
Additionally the Siglent, being newer, may cover the range without switching hardware. This results in a smoother rise in noise floor
You could normalise the bands so it looks right but you would be reducing the performance by doing so.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131509 on: October 06, 2022, 08:02:33 am »
Actually I thought they were very similar sweeps to use as a comparison, 10dB/div, 3 MHz RBW/VBW and similar width noise floor ~60dB down and 26 GHz full sweep. It was just one I found on the Siglent website by chance.

Obviously the bands aren't being stepped like in your SA so maybe I'll go back and again watch the video Shahriar did on the SSA5000A recently where he takes us through all the RF stages and frequency conversions.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #131510 on: October 06, 2022, 09:21:19 am »
Re: stepped noisefloor. Seen it on a lot of SAs. Always makes me a bit uncomfortable but should be normal.

Had to take a Yokogawa VT 3100 monitoring station apart to replace the CMOS battery so you get a few pictures. There's a lot of memory in this machine. Well engineered, too. This was not a cheap machine back in the day.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, salvagedcircuitry, ch_scr, factory, syau, duckduck, m k

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #131511 on: October 06, 2022, 10:54:05 am »
Had to take a Yokogawa VT 3100 monitoring station apart to replace the CMOS battery so you get a few pictures. There's a lot of memory in this machine. Well engineered, too. This was not a cheap machine back in the day.

Yeah, build quality (and most probably component choice) looks very good, as with the WT1600 power analyzer.
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #131512 on: October 06, 2022, 03:07:25 pm »

Wonder if DHL understands this address label  ;)
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: Vince, BU508A, ch_scr, factory, syau, Zoli

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #131513 on: October 06, 2022, 04:26:41 pm »

:-DD

ECCP¹?

¹Electrolytic Capacitors Care Parcel
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Zoli

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131514 on: October 06, 2022, 04:43:27 pm »

I am sure they will find me !  >:D

Well I hope they do, because it looks like a pizza box so I would rather for ti to be still warm when it arrives, cold pizza doesn't taste as good  !  :-DD

I like them with lots of goat cheese, bacon and mushrooms please !  >:D

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131515 on: October 06, 2022, 04:50:24 pm »

@vince, the trick with axial capacitors is to not use axial capacitors. ;)

Yeah sure, you did a really nice job there.. but to me an axially mounted radial just looks like a bodge  :(
However I guess I will have to get used to it, since old TE have lots of axial caps and their price is so ridiculous, and choice of value and voltage so limited.. yet as you say quality is not their goal so....
I guess I will start to get over it and take a deep breath and... start doing like you do. Being able to use good quality caps is I guess my best argument to justify it to myself... after all it's about functionality before looks, it's an electronic device, not a fancy luxury hand bag  :-//
So I guess my wallet is forcing me to do what's technically best.... I guess.

I don't have clear tubing like you have, but I guess I should start buying some stock of the stuff now....
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 04:55:29 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #131516 on: October 06, 2022, 05:10:43 pm »
When the case is screwed back in place and you can't see the caps, and the gear is working perfectly, you won't care how they look inside anymore. ;) :D

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, capt bullshot, ch_scr, duckduck

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131517 on: October 06, 2022, 06:23:21 pm »
Yeah uh.... I am not like that sadly, I do care about what's not to be seen... just like girls care about putting sexy underwear even when they don't intend to let anyone see it on that day.  :-[

But yes, I agree with you anyway.... I just hope I can get get used to such bodges, since it's based on good technical and financial grounds.... I will try to make it look as good as you, to help ease the pain...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 06:25:46 pm by Vince »

Offline bsdphk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #131518 on: October 06, 2022, 09:36:45 pm »
Obviously the bands aren't being stepped like in your SA [...]

The june 78 and august 79  HP Journal articles explains very comprehensively how the 8568 and 8566 works and why the steps are there in the latter.

The basic idea is that instead of controlling the IF going into the mixer precisely, which was impossible at the time, there are two spectrum analyzer channels running in parallel, one with the input signal, the other with the output from an internal 20MHz comb generator, making it possible to derive the precise IF frequency from the peaks in the comb generator spectrum.

One advantage of this design was the high spectral purity of the IF signal.

The steps appear because the the 8566 works in four bands, each using a different harmonic from the LO.

Modern instruments control the IF frequency numerically and therefore avoid all the double-plumbing of the 8566, the downside is that most of them have much poorer spectral purity as a result.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, syau

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #131519 on: October 07, 2022, 07:57:47 am »
Here are some pictures of a little project of mine - The wireless LEDs Rubik's Cube (or, in short TWLEDRC)

A friend of mine collects these Rubiks Cube and their variations. His wife suggested that I build a cube with some electronics for his collection. One of his hobbies is electronics and I gave him some help to get started.

Yesterday evening the cube was finished. It is mainly based on these wireless LEDs that BigClive presented on his YouTube channel. However, I ordered a larger primary coil with a much bigger diameter on AliExpress so that the cube has enough space in the magnetic field.

Here are some pictures:

Yes, all LEDs are working but the ones placed in the middle field of the cube are having a smaller coil because of space restrictions. Therefore they are not as effective as the LEDs with the bigger coils, but as long as they are on top as shown in the pictures, they are working perfectly. The LED shown in one of the pictures has a big coil (diameter 6mm, height ca. 7mm plus PCB and LED). I've glued them with hot snot into the pieces of the cube. The idea was to use the hot snot as a diffusor but I managed somehow to use the transparent variation of it. Well, next time ...
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Ice-Tea, Specmaster, capt bullshot, ch_scr, TERRA Operative, AVGresponding, m k

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #131520 on: October 07, 2022, 09:30:19 am »
Here are some pictures of a little project of mine - The wireless LEDs Rubik's Cube (or, in short TWLEDRC)

A friend of mine collects these Rubiks Cube and their variations. His wife suggested that I build a cube with some electronics for his collection. One of his hobbies is electronics and I gave him some help to get started.

Yesterday evening the cube was finished. It is mainly based on these wireless LEDs that BigClive presented on his YouTube channel. However, I ordered a larger primary coil with a much bigger diameter on AliExpress so that the cube has enough space in the magnetic field.

Here are some pictures:

Yes, all LEDs are working but the ones placed in the middle field of the cube are having a smaller coil because of space restrictions. Therefore they are not as effective as the LEDs with the bigger coils, but as long as they are on top as shown in the pictures, they are working perfectly. The LED shown in one of the pictures has a big coil (diameter 6mm, height ca. 7mm plus PCB and LED). I've glued them with hot snot into the pieces of the cube. The idea was to use the hot snot as a diffusor but I managed somehow to use the transparent variation of it. Well, next time ...

Usage of RGB LEDs would enable some "I solved it!" "Oh no you didn't!" shenanigans...

I'm planning to use clear resin to encapsulate some LEDs into a shape suitable for a backlighting project, and have considered a couple of things I might add to the resin to make the light diffuse better. Glitter, and baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). Some experimentation is in order...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #131521 on: October 07, 2022, 09:48:21 am »
just like girls care about putting sexy underwear even when they don't intend to let anyone see it on that day.  :-[

Don't we all? Right....? Guys?.....

Nah, me neither.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131522 on: October 07, 2022, 10:21:45 am »

I once had a letter delivered that had nothing but my name and "Cologne, Germany" written on it. Admittedly I am probably the only person in Germany with my name (as I am Irish), but I was still amazed that they went to the bother of filling in the blanks.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131523 on: October 07, 2022, 11:44:56 am »
Yeah uh.... I am not like that sadly, I do care about what's not to be seen... just like girls care about putting sexy underwear even when they don't intend to let anyone see it on that day.  :-[

But yes, I agree with you anyway.... I just hope I can get get used to such bodges, since it's based on good technical and financial grounds.... I will try to make it look as good as you, to help ease the pain...

You will just have to get a lathe, spinning tools and mandrels and spin your own axial cases to hide modern capacitors in  ???

The following users thanked this post: Zoli

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #131524 on: October 07, 2022, 11:59:48 am »
Ooh, some thin aluminium pipe and epoxy for the ends.
Get some heatshrink for the label maker and you might have something there.
Even print a paper label all fancy like and then clear heatshrink it on.

In other news, I just won a HP 85032B Type N cal kit for the coming spectrum analyser.
(Pics from listing)
Also, got a HP brand Type N to BNC adapter and a Huber Suhner 50ohm Type N terminator coming too.

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens, factory, duckduck, m k

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf