Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14808692 times)

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #131525 on: October 07, 2022, 12:07:02 pm »

Well I hope they do, because it looks like a pizza box so I would rather for ti to be still warm when it arrives, cold pizza doesn't taste as good  !  :-DD

I like them with lots of goat cheese, bacon and mushrooms please !  >:D
Vince, have you really never had cold pizza for breakfast?  Nothing like a couple of double pepperoni pizza slices to start the day.  Just don't put them in the microwave!!
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #131526 on: October 07, 2022, 12:08:53 pm »
The thing about pizza is, good pizza is awesome, and bad pizza is still pretty good.

Just don't ruin it with nasty seafood!
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131527 on: October 07, 2022, 01:50:12 pm »
The thing about pizza is, good pizza is awesome, and bad pizza is still pretty good.

Or Pineapple!!

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #131528 on: October 07, 2022, 02:06:01 pm »
You wat mate, come fite me.  :box:

:-DD

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131529 on: October 07, 2022, 02:16:21 pm »
You wat mate, come fite me.  :box:

:-DD

No problem, I have the entire Italian nation on my side! :D

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: SoundTech-LG, Neomys Sapiens, TERRA Operative

Offline SoundTech-LG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #131530 on: October 07, 2022, 02:29:54 pm »
 :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #131531 on: October 07, 2022, 02:51:39 pm »
TCR 300S9. High voltage power supplies are always a bit easier to sell, so I was a bit bummed when it would always be stuck in CC mode. No voltage. So, popping the hood.

Easy enough to probe. Minor caveat: scares the shit out of me with all these exposed HV connections.

Oddly enough, while probing around nothing seemed out of line. Then my nickel dropped. The current sense is also patched on the backpanel. And a few screws were missing, disconnecting the current sense path. I'm not sure if I should pad myself on the back or kick me in the nuts (which might be a bit more challenging). But it works.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 02:53:38 pm by Ice-Tea »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Neomys Sapiens, ch_scr, TERRA Operative, duckduck, m k

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #131532 on: October 07, 2022, 03:41:57 pm »
300V, 9A, 2700W

That's a chunky power supply. 8)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131533 on: October 07, 2022, 03:53:24 pm »

Or Pineapple!!

McBryce.
Pineapple is nice on a Pizza, mmmmmm
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: TERRA Operative

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131534 on: October 07, 2022, 04:18:08 pm »
300V, 9A, 2700W

That's a chunky power supply. 8)

Tell my table. Or the hole in it.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #131535 on: October 07, 2022, 04:32:03 pm »
300V, 9A, 2700W

TCR 300S9. High voltage power supplies are always a bit easier to sell, so I was a bit bummed when it would always be stuck in CC mode. No voltage. So, popping the hood.

Easy enough to probe. Minor caveat: scares the shit out of me with all these exposed HV connections.

That is powerful, indeed. The big caps are scary - but at 300V it's not an HV supply at all. By definition "High Voltage" is above 1000V.
Anyway, I'd be very careful probing, too.

Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens, AVGresponding

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131536 on: October 07, 2022, 04:36:44 pm »
300V, 9A, 2700W

That is powerful, indeed. The big caps are scary - but at 300V it's not an HV supply at all. By definition "High Voltage" is above 1000V.

Heh. I know there are other definitions of high voltage. Mine is "anything with even a minor chance of killing me".

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #131537 on: October 07, 2022, 04:59:51 pm »
300V, 9A, 2700W

This is a (fairly) recent reclassification by the IET. HV used to be >10kV, 1kV-10kV was "intermediate voltage".

NB: 1kVAC. DC HV starts at 1.5kV.

NB2: ANSI are p*****s. Fight me.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #131538 on: October 07, 2022, 05:08:49 pm »
Get some heatshrink for the label maker and you might have something there.
Even print a paper label all fancy like and then clear heatshrink it on.
Clear heatshrink is overrated:
https://www.te.com/usa-en/product-1878658-4.html
This cover survive 5 years in the salt mine, and won't dry/come off; try to put clear heatshrink in the middle of a 300m cable.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131539 on: October 07, 2022, 05:45:41 pm »

This is a (fairly) recent reclassification by the IET. HV used to be >10kV, 1kV-10kV was "intermediate voltage".

You're correct, I remember 1kV and above as "Mittelspannung" (medium voltage), too. This definition (above 1kV) of "High Voltage" is new to me, so in retrospective I was wrong saying above 1kV is HV, but would be right according to that new definition  :-//
Whatsoever, I think it's been enough of confusion for today

To me, even ELV at 48V can be very scary if the source is just powerful enough. It won't electrocute me, but might explode a spanner into my face  :o
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 05:48:08 pm by capt bullshot »

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens, AVGresponding

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131540 on: October 07, 2022, 06:10:54 pm »
That's some electroboom style fun with capacitors:

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #131541 on: October 07, 2022, 07:04:59 pm »
Heh. I know there are other definitions of high voltage. Mine is "anything with even a minor chance of killing me".

It's volts that jolts, but mils that kills.
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131542 on: October 07, 2022, 07:15:24 pm »
Oh, I know. But there's this fella "Ohm" that seems to think these two are somehow related.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #131543 on: October 07, 2022, 07:23:51 pm »
Oh, I know. But there's this fella "Ohm" that seems to think these two are somehow related.
Yes, so I believe.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, m k, Neper

Offline Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #131544 on: October 07, 2022, 07:30:16 pm »
Finally I've got a HP3400A:palm:

Normally they are selling for 200 to 250 Euros over here.  :scared:

This one was some risk, as function 'was not checked' by the heir, who sold it. But I've got it for 85 Euros.

Looks fine with some dust and cat or dog hairs. Inside nothing seems to be missing.

It's from 1982 and has the 66512 A6 assembly, which is the newer opamp solution instead of the separate weird optocoupler.

I didn't expect it to run fine from the start. And so it is:
After switch on, the needle is mooving smoothly, but is running randomly all over the scale.
So there is some research and work to be done.  :)

« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 07:48:59 pm by Peter_O »

The following users thanked this post: wolfy007, ch_scr, factory, TERRA Operative, Zoli, duckduck, m k, DH7DN

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131545 on: October 07, 2022, 08:01:09 pm »
Yeah uh.... I am not like that sadly, I do care about what's not to be seen... just like girls care about putting sexy underwear even when they don't intend to let anyone see it on that day.  :-[

But yes, I agree with you anyway.... I just hope I can get get used to such bodges, since it's based on good technical and financial grounds.... I will try to make it look as good as you, to help ease the pain...

You will just have to get a lathe, spinning tools and mandrels and spin your own axial cases to hide modern capacitors in  ???

Nah, because I would know what's inside the can...
A radial bodge looks horrible, but a radial bodge trying to disguise / hide in a can, would worse, it would be a dishonest radial bodge....
Plus, it's more work, adds weight and labour !  ;D
Nah, as much as I dislike a radial bodge, I would at least prefer a honest one in clear tubing that's not trying pretend to be something it's not.

I do absolutely plan and want to have a mini lathe though !  8)

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131546 on: October 07, 2022, 08:11:04 pm »

Well I hope they do, because it looks like a pizza box so I would rather for ti to be still warm when it arrives, cold pizza doesn't taste as good  !  :-DD

I like them with lots of goat cheese, bacon and mushrooms please !  >:D
Vince, have you really never had cold pizza for breakfast?  Nothing like a couple of double pepperoni pizza slices to start the day.  Just don't put them in the microwave!!

A pizza for Breakfast ?! Is that even legal at all ?!  :scared:
It's a cultural thing I guess....

To be honest I very rarely eat any pizza. I like a good pizza but it's too expensive and is too much work, you need to take the car and go out to get it. Takes time, money to burn petrol and wear the tires, you need to put your shoes on, waste precious time to drive there and back , wait at the restaurant to get your pizza, go back home, find a parking place, maybe pay for it... and endure the weather which might not be clement... for something that will get eaten in 5 minutes. ROI is not good to say the least...

No. I can't quite remember when I last bought a pizza for my own self. Eating one when going out with other people yes, but not just for me alone.

I think I remember the last time I ate pizzas. I think it was in june 2014, I was on a work trip abroad with a colleague for 2 weeks in northern Germany, in Bremen, to work on the A400M at the Airbus plant there. Every evening I would meet with that colleague and we would go in town center by the river, to eat a pizza, in a different restaurant every evening. I could not believe just how many pizza places there were in that town that's sooooooooooooooooo far away up north compared to Italy.

So it was like 8 years ago then.... time flies.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 08:13:59 pm by Vince »

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #131547 on: October 07, 2022, 08:35:34 pm »

You're correct, I remember 1kV and above as "Mittelspannung" (medium voltage), too. This definition (above 1kV) of "High Voltage" is new to me, so in retrospective I was wrong saying above 1kV is HV, but would be right according to that new definition  :-//
Whatsoever, I think it's been enough of confusion for today

To me, even ELV at 48V can be very scary if the source is just powerful enough. It won't electrocute me, but might explode a spanner into my face  :o

Pretty sure I've linked the BT 48VDC rack short vids here before but I'll redo it anyway. Even a car battery can kick out several hundred amps and cause serious ooops in the wrong (right?) circumstances.

EDIT:

NB 54V is the approximate VDC of a nominal 4x12V string
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 08:38:35 pm by AVGresponding »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Specmaster, capt bullshot, Neomys Sapiens, wolfy007, ch_scr

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #131548 on: October 07, 2022, 11:52:44 pm »

No, volts ohms and amps aren't simply related. Exception: the special cases in which ohms law is valid.

Don't believe me? Consider the current in tunnelling devices, or where the voltage is outside a device's specifications, or a battery, or etc
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 11:56:37 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131549 on: October 08, 2022, 04:03:27 am »

Prawns aren't nasty, unless you have an allergy, but you can forget anchovies.

The best pizzas I've ever had were many years ago, from "Grumpy's Pizza" (motto:- Service with a snarl!").
I would order their "Vegetarian Pizza", then get them to put prawns on it.

(I was careful how I worded the last sentence, as last time I mentioned this, we burnt up a couple of pages on whether  "added prawns" meant the pizza already had some----too long ago, & too convoluted!)

What were we talking about?---that's right, TEA!
Not much to report, my pile of "to be fixed" stuff hasn't diminished one iota---every time I sit down to do some work, some other thing comes up with higher priority.
I have been playing with my eBay purchases, though.
Both the nanoVNA & the little "El Cheapo" poor man's voltage calibration source seem to do their thing OK, although the former doesn't like being used with my laptop---doesn't matter much, as I mainly need it as a "standalone" thing!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf