Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14892146 times)

Vince, Jouko and 125 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #132276 on: December 03, 2022, 10:49:17 am »
TinySA Ultra first impressions: It certainly seems to do everything it says on the box. The interface is very responsive and intuitive. The display text is very small but readable. The case is good quality, not DMM rugged, but that's not to be expected for an SA. Accuracy is slightly off, but I haven't calibrated it yet. The signal connected is from a hastily wired up 10MHz OCXO that I had lying around.

Only complaint so far: The display had disconnected from the PCB and was hanging crooked when it arrived (possibly due to courier mishandling?), so I had to open it up and glue the display back on to the PCB. And it hasn't improved my photographic skills, although to be fair, they didn't claim it would.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr, Peter_O, DH7DN

Offline YurkshireLad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #132277 on: December 03, 2022, 05:12:37 pm »
Is it me or have oscilloscope prices jumped in the past year?

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #132278 on: December 03, 2022, 05:16:55 pm »
Today was Levelled Sinewave Generator day.

Been poking away at my SG5030 Levelled Sinewave Generator. It was unlevelling in the middle range setting (150MHz to 300MHz), which turned out to be a stuck relay in the output filters just before the output BNC.
As it so happened, just desoldering it from the PCB to double check it was enough to unstick it, so back in it went.
Now I'll source some 712-6 Teledyne TO-5 package relays.

Now, next thing is there seems to be a heat related fault. Once the unit has been running for a while, it unlevells in all ranges. Gonna have to get me some freeze spray to blast stuff to find what is getting grumpy.

I don't think the two faults are related, as the sig gen spontaneously unlevells even when not switching ranges.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 05:23:12 pm by TERRA Operative »
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr, DH7DN

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #132279 on: December 03, 2022, 05:28:14 pm »

They've been up and down like a bipolar frog in in a pair of knickers in a brothel's washing machine.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #132280 on: December 03, 2022, 05:54:31 pm »

They've been up and down like a bipolar frog in in a pair of knickers in a brothel's washing machine.

Without a truck load of recreational drugs, that's a picture that I'm finding hard to get my head around. Maybe I'm just not creative enough.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #132281 on: December 03, 2022, 06:13:21 pm »
Boat anchors have slid up some while some new and much better stuff has come down or has large discounts on it.
Then exchange and shipping rates are also adding their own little hit on everything we purchase.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline YurkshireLad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #132282 on: December 03, 2022, 06:14:35 pm »

The Siglent SDS1104E-X is now C$620. I could have sworn it used to be a heck of a lot less. Unless my memory is mocking me.

Offline Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #132283 on: December 03, 2022, 06:18:23 pm »
After putting some use  on the Ruhstrat tranformer one of the banana jacks has broken.

Time to change oll 6 of them.

They are fully insulated ones and the old plastic had to endure the mechanical stress of the backside nut.
The front plate holes are 10mm in diameter. Connectors are 6mm spade.

I can only find modern 12mm fully insulated jacks, which would be kind of weird in that old device.
https://www.conrad.de/de/p/staeubli-slb4-f6-3-n-x-sicherheits-laborbuchse-buchse-einbau-schwarz-1-st-1678340.html

Binding posts would have 7mm plastic sockets to fit into the front plate. So I would have to 3d print some weird adapters.

Do you have a better idea?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 06:24:07 pm by Peter_O »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #132284 on: December 03, 2022, 06:46:41 pm »

The Siglent SDS1104E-X is now C$620. I could have sworn it used to be a heck of a lot less. Unless my memory is mocking me.
Based on the CAD to USD cross rate I just checked 499 USD crosses to 672.5 CAD.
Maybe 50CAD is a worthwhile saving IDK.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #132285 on: December 03, 2022, 06:55:19 pm »
<SNIP>

**EDIT**: in other news, not happy. Have a few Fluke 87 EX's. Turns out they all have hairline fractures in the case. Doesn't matter much functionally, but it renders them useless for EX work.

This:
https://modelshop.co.uk/Shop/Adhesives/Item/Plastic-Weld-Solvent-57ml/ITM5060
AKA Methylene chloride, dichromethylene
Appled from inside the case will sort the cracks out.

Robert G8RPI.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #132286 on: December 03, 2022, 07:12:01 pm »

Oh, sorry, you were referring to new prices... I forget sometimes, not everyone is an exclusively used bargain hunter!   :-DD
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #132287 on: December 03, 2022, 07:42:37 pm »
<SNIP>

**EDIT**: in other news, not happy. Have a few Fluke 87 EX's. Turns out they all have hairline fractures in the case. Doesn't matter much functionally, but it renders them useless for EX work.

This:

Robert G8RPI.

Hard to imagine this would allow them to keep ATEX certification. I'd expect devices in this use category to be discarded rather than repaired?

Discord is up.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #132288 on: December 03, 2022, 07:55:45 pm »
After putting some use  on the Ruhstrat tranformer one of the banana jacks has broken.

They are fully insulated ones and the old plastic had to endure the mechanical stress of the backside nut.

I can only find modern 12mm fully insulated jacks, which would be kind of weird in that old device.
https://www.conrad.de/de/p/staeubli-slb4-f6-3-n-x-sicherheits-laborbuchse-buchse-einbau-schwarz-1-st-1678340.html

Binding posts would have 7mm plastic sockets to fit into the front plate. So I would have to 3d print some weird adapters.

Closest I can find on RS are for 8.3mm hole, tab is only 4.8mm, "LB-I4R-A" last item on the datasheet; https://docs.rs-online.com/4b94/0900766b803b6cba.pdf

David

The following users thanked this post: Peter_O

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #132289 on: December 03, 2022, 08:17:47 pm »
<SNIP>

This:

Robert G8RPI.
Maybe best after application not to use them for EX work though as I doubt that they would retain the certification after the crack, regardless of it being "repaired" as the failure mode may be fatal.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #132290 on: December 03, 2022, 08:21:32 pm »

Personally, I'd uprate them all to 12mm fully insulated and not worry about the appearances, but enjoy the gear.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: Peter_O

Online ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #132291 on: December 03, 2022, 08:51:21 pm »
I'd use this kind of Polklemme made for 8mm holes and 3d print a spacer if need be. No need for double insulated and you get to use wires if need be.

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #132292 on: December 03, 2022, 09:46:07 pm »
The odd package has  name  TO205MA or MD.
You could remove the TO5 header from the flange and solder a standard TO5/39 package to it. Low temperature solder might be a good idea though.

I found different sizes of hats for same case type, is that a general thing or just one of those mini TO-3 nuances?
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Triplett-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #132293 on: December 04, 2022, 10:00:56 am »
<SNIP>

This:

Robert G8RPI.
Maybe best after application not to use them for EX work though as I doubt that they would retain the certification after the crack, regardless of it being "repaired" as the failure mode may be fatal.

Yup. So, I modified the listing and, much to my dismay, the price.  :'( Cracks are not even visible enough to need a repair, that's not the issue. Kinda sad that this seems to be a common failure in them.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #132294 on: December 04, 2022, 10:05:38 am »
<SNIP>

This:

Robert G8RPI.

Yup. So, I modified the listing and, much to my dismay, the price.  :'( Cracks are not even visible enough to need a repair, that's not the issue. Kinda sad that this seems to be a common failure in them.
You have to wonder just why it is that Fluke don't either modify the case or remove that model from EX rating altogether. It would only take a single fatal incident to ruin their reputation in that field for ever.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #132295 on: December 04, 2022, 10:31:13 am »
A hairline crack is probably not going to make the meter unsafe. They are not hermetically sealed. They just try to keep explosive mixtures out, minimise chance of internal ignition and finally if ignition does take place prevent that causing an external ignition. Typically this meens venting the pressure while quenching any flame front. Unless the crack is big enough to compromise the structual integrity (solvent plastic welding is typically as strong as the original) it is unlikely to be unsafe. The problem, as you know, is that the testinng was not done with a cracked case so the certification is invalid. That said most people why really need Ex certification will not be buying on ebay.

I respect your integrity in advising potential buyers of the issue  :-+

Robert G8RPI.

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #132296 on: December 04, 2022, 11:04:08 am »
Progress on the SG5030 Levelled Sinewave Generator.

I just successfully replaced the two Dallas DS1225Y-200 battery backed SRAM's with FM16W08 FRAM chips on some 28SOIC to 28-600MIL DIP adapters.

Seems to be working perfectly as a direct drop in replacement, so I suspect this mod should work for any gear that uses the Dallas DS1225Y chips.

I'll have to figure out a simple replacement for the Dallas chips that incorporate a RTC next, I'll add it to the looonngg list of things to do...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 11:46:37 am by TERRA Operative »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Mortymore, Neomys Sapiens, URI

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #132297 on: December 04, 2022, 11:44:39 am »
Oh alright then, here's some pictures. :)

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Mortymore, Neomys Sapiens, ch_scr, URI, syau, Zoli, duckduck, m k, DH7DN

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #132298 on: December 04, 2022, 04:06:21 pm »
Another set of adaptors fell into my hands - at 15€ I would be perfectly happy if there were 3 new ones in it. Counting those bridge connectors, I think this will be more than fulfilled as far as I can see from the pictures.

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr, Zoli, duckduck

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #132299 on: December 04, 2022, 07:00:38 pm »

I am glad to see I was right when I purchased my 575 Tek curve tracer for 50% more than the seller advertised it for, and traveled 450kms and back to go get it... even though it turned out to be a Frankenstein unit with missing and broken bits that would need a lot of love. 150 Euros for it.

Given how rare and expensive these are getting, I thought I still preferred one that needs some work but is affordable, and well, having one at all really.

The future was to reward me well. Yesterday, another 575 just popped p here... yes, 15 months after I got mine. Would have it been worth the wait ?

Not really !

https://www.leboncoin.fr/equipements_industriels/2264660895.htm

Look at that.... guy wants no less than 1,200 Euros for it !

Do you get a NOS one still in its crate for that price ? No, quite the opposite, you get for all the world what looks like your typical : "been sitting for the past 30 years on the dirt floor of grand pa's damp barn, with the mice and cats peeing on it "...

Plus, it's in Toulouse so even much farther than the 450kms I traveled for mine.

So yeah, I am extremely happy I worked the seller to get mine, and made the effort to do that horrible trip that my body said NO to, every second of the way. (I just can't travel long distances).

The little bits and bobs that need fixing on mine now feel so insignificant.... I am SO happy I bought mine and didn't wait for the next one !

So people... if you see some cool piece of vintage TE and your heart tells you to get it... then GET IT while you can !

« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 08:11:40 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: wolfy007, TERRA Operative, syau

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf