Author Topic: Testing MOSFET RDS or Resistance between Drain and Source  (Read 1122 times)

Offline ThermallyFrigidTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Testing MOSFET RDS or Resistance between Drain and Source
« on: July 24, 2021, 02:05:25 pm »
Hello Electromates,

I am needing to test a batch of Mosfets that just arrived.
I'm wanting to test the Resistance between Drain and Source.

Below is the DataSheet for one of the MOSFETS in question.

For RDS(on) it lists the following......
VGS=10v, ID=10A with a typical reading being .22 ohms and a Max ohms being 0.27 ohms.

The DataSheet does not include a schematic for testing RDS(on), only the parameters.

So, making sure I understand this, it means apply 10v between the Gate and Source Pins, with current at the Drain being 10Amps ?

This circuit is correct for this test?

DataSheet

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
Re: Testing MOSFET RDS or Resistance between Drain and Source
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 02:19:11 pm »
Yes, that's the general idea, but the test is typically a short pulse (you can pulse VGs with an AWG) because the DUT will be dissipating up to 27 watts. 
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

The following users thanked this post: ThermallyFrigid

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 04:20:12 pm »
In your case the only reason to apply 10 amps to the drain is to make a more sensitive measurement.  A lower current will be sufficient.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2021, 04:42:00 pm »
In your case the only reason to apply 10 amps to the drain is to make a more sensitive measurement.  A lower current will be sufficient.

The only thing is......

That is the specified current for the RDS test.  Wouldn't they have published a lower current if applicable?

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 12:16:28 am »
The only thing is......

That is the specified current for the RDS test.  Wouldn't they have published a lower current if applicable?

The reason they use the term RDS(on) is that it should be relatively constant over a range, within reason.  Yes, they have specified at at 10A, but as I said, you wouldn't have very long to take your reading at that level.  You should get a similar reading at 1A, for example, but with 100X less heat generated.  But if you can, try it both ways and report back on the differences. 
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2021, 01:51:00 am »
The only thing is......

The reason they use the term RDS(on) is that it should be relatively constant over a range, within reason.  Yes, they have specified at at 10A, but as I said, you wouldn't have very long to take your reading at that level.  You should get a similar reading at 1A, for example, but with 100X less heat generated.  But if you can, try it both ways and report back on the differences.

Will do.

I am wondering......would a circuit for testing one N channel MOSFET work for most other N channel MOSFETS ?

Offline graybeard

• Frequent Contributor
  • Consulting III-V RF/mixed signal/device engineer
    • Chris Grossman
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2021, 05:02:29 pm »
I am wondering......would a circuit for testing one N channel MOSFET work for most other N channel MOSFETS ?

Yes, so long as they are MOSFETS are big enough to not be overstressed by your test.

For the resistances you are measuring you should make Kelvin connections to the MOSFET; the voltage sense leads should be separate from your current force leads.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf