Author Topic: The BM235 does not accept lithium batteries  (Read 14035 times)

Online IanBTopic starter

• Super Contributor
The BM235 does not accept lithium batteries
« on: September 21, 2016, 03:22:01 am »
On power up the display says "Inp Err" and then flickers and beeps continously.

Well, that sucks.

(Note: two fresh alkalines at 1.6 V each are OK, but two fresh lithiums at 1.8 V each are obviously too much for it.)

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
Re: The BM235 does not accept lithium batteries
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 05:56:09 am »
I just tested mine a number of times with 2 AA Energizer Ultimate Lithiums temporarily hooked in and also got the InEr message momentarily with a series of beeps and then the meter simply returned to normal operation, both the batteries were at 1.798 prior to testing.

Both of my good variable power supplies are in bits at the moment, perhaps you could run it on a supply and check at what voltage this starts to occur. 

« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 07:22:20 am by Muttley Snickers »

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 10:08:18 am »
Reply from Brymen:

I was talking to engineer and was advised that BM235 battery voltage can not be more than 3.5V out of its current design. The reasons are:

1. Input warning detection uses a comparator inside main chip. While A or mA/uA input terminal is without being plugged-in by test lead, the compared signals are from battery voltage and from a fixed voltage around 3.6V. If battery voltage is more than 3.5V, that comparator may misjudge and display “InEr”.

2. The maximum working voltage of BM235 main chip can be only 3.6V.   

Offline alanb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 12:14:07 pm »
Ian - Energiser were trying to help you by supplying alkaline rather than lithium! https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/annoying-energizer-marketing-scam/msg1031514/#msg1031514

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 12:33:38 pm »
So I just tried running the BM235 right off the wall socket to I don't need to change out the batteries and the stupid thing does not work!!  What a POS!!  No fault codes, or anything on the display.   I checked the fuses and they are not blown..   :-//  Now what do I do?   Does Dave do repairs on these?

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, TheBay, newbrain

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 12:40:02 pm »
So I just tried running the BM235 right off the wall socket to I don't need to change out the batteries and the stupid thing does not work!!  What a POS!!  No fault codes, or anything on the display.   I checked the fuses and they are not blown..   :-//  Now what do I do?   Does Dave do repairs on these?
:-DD :-DD :-DD I think this will get lost on some here mate :) :-DMM

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 02:30:44 pm »

Don't switch it on! Blow it up!! :-DD

Online rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 03:52:59 pm »

You mean he really didn't do that?  Hm...  Lost on me!

It sounded like a neat way to get a bench meter without all the cost.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 04:28:45 pm »

I read on the internet that batteries are DC and the wall outlet is AC and to convert from AC to DC I needed something called a diode.  I drove to Radio Shack and the guy there looked at me funny but sold me one that's good for 4A.  I stuck it in line with the cord but the meter still won't turn on.   Before you ask, I tried the diode both ways.  It just doesn't seem to work.  I'm running out of things to try. 

I have attached a couple of pictures showing how it is setup.  My soldering seems fine and looks to be making a connection.   

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 04:43:42 pm »
On the meter it says CAT IV 300V, so maybe it needs 300V?
Your toaster just set fire to an African child over TCP.

Offline whitevamp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 05:10:04 pm »

I read on the internet that there is a cat IV telephone networks cable is this what i need? and will it work to 300v?

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 05:10:57 pm »

I think you are onto something.   I am pretty sure it has something to do with the voltage going in.  I read a little more on the internet and they use something called a capacitor to smooth out the rectified DC.  I could not figure out what it would need so I went back to Radio Shack and found a capacitor that is about the same size as the two AA batteries that came with the meter.   The guy at Radio Shack was no help.  Don't they train these people?

Soldered the cap in there but when I plugged it in, the capacitor blew out a bunch of confetti paper.  I think it was a Chinese knock off.   

The following users thanked this post: sotos, SeanB

Offline sotos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2016, 05:46:44 pm »

I think you are onto something.   I am pretty sure it has something to do with the voltage going in.  I read a little more on the internet and they use something called a capacitor to smooth out the rectified DC.  I could not figure out what it would need so I went back to Radio Shack and found a capacitor that is about the same size as the two AA batteries that came with the meter.   The guy at Radio Shack was no help.  Don't they train these people?

Soldered the cap in there but when I plugged it in, the capacitor blew out a bunch of confetti paper.  I think it was a Chinese knock off.

For your soldering, try this tool it's much better than yours.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 05:49:51 pm by sotos »

Offline Len

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2016, 06:05:23 pm »

A pulse generator might work. I don't suppose you happen to have one?
DIY Eurorack Synth: https://lenp.net/synth/

Offline StuUK

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2016, 06:53:27 pm »
 :-DD thanks for the giggles

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2016, 07:49:56 pm »

I read on the internet that batteries are DC and the wall outlet is AC and to convert from AC to DC I needed something called a diode.  I drove to Radio Shack and the guy there looked at me funny but sold me one that's good for 4A.  I stuck it in line with the cord but the meter still won't turn on.   Before you ask, I tried the diode both ways.  It just doesn't seem to work.  I'm running out of things to try. 

I have attached a couple of pictures showing how it is setup.  My soldering seems fine and looks to be making a connection.

You need to swap those fuses for a nail/screw or wrap them in baking foil. It will work then.
See when a fuse goes it's because that's the fault, the fuse. So put a bigger one in or use methods above. This is what I see and what I hear all the time so must be right.

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2016, 08:03:14 pm »
That is because you are doing it wrong. You need a transformer to reduce the voltage. Make sure you get it the right way round  ;)

Alway good following your work joeqsmith  :-+

Offline Johnny Electron

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2016, 01:33:40 pm »

OMG I can't stop laughing!  Thank you Joe!  :-DD

Offline The Soulman

• Frequent Contributor
  • The sky is the limit!
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2016, 01:51:28 pm »

Jeeeez silly people at radioshack, 4A is way to much current for such a meter, better get 33 mA diode.  :-+

*Waning not to be attempted by any noob*  :scared:

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2016, 02:42:49 pm »
WTF
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2016, 03:58:36 pm »
I think it's about time to issue a warning for those that didn't get so far (and hence never will  :palm:) that this is  :-DD satirical topic... LOL...

My favorite is "... Before you ask, I tried the diode both ways. .."  LOLOLOL  Good one ,  Joe!!

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2016, 12:56:48 am »
 :-DD :-DD  We all laugh and think no one would ever do such a stupid thing but back when I was in school, I had a friend who wanted to use a car stereo in his bedroom (we were not old enough to drive).  He wired up a line cord right to where the battery hooked in.  He had it apart at school to show what had happened.  But to his defense, he never took any courses in electricity (they actually offered this back then) and he did not have a meter of any sort.  He though it was a one size fits all when it came to electricity. 

Online IanBTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2016, 01:03:37 am »
And meanwhile, BM235 meters everywhere are going to be prematurely ruined by leaking alkaline batteries...

Offline MacMeter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2017, 02:01:59 am »
Glad I searched before asking if my new EEVBblog BM235 could take 1.8v lithiums. I just tried it, same NG results. I put in some Energizer MAX AAA's, supposedly "leak proof" guaranteed, doubt that means much. While I've read how some poo-poo the idea that alkalines can leak, when you have a remote or other device become ruined because of an inexpensive battery, it's no longer theory, but reality. After a power outage years a go, I was opening all my remotes and other battery devices only to discover a few with old leaking batteries. I can't speak for others, but it then occurred to me how many devices I had put away thinking I'd be using them again, but the years go by quickly. That's when I switched to buying and using all Eneloop rechargeable batteries. Granted, some up front costs, but cheap insurance for many remotes and other devices, some of which are too old to find replacements for.

Very few devices don't care for the lower NiMH lower voltage, and work fine. On those devices I use the more expensive disposable store bought lithiums. Since this meter does not function with those, the QUESTION is now:

Are there any downsides to using NiMH rechargeable AAA's in this meter?

Online IanBTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2017, 02:08:27 am »
I haven't tried it, but if it works I can't think of any reason why not.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf