Author Topic: The 'Official' AN8008 Meter Thread  (Read 7073 times)

Offline ocw

• Regular Contributor
Re: The 'Official' AN8008 Meter Thread
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2019, 11:11:59 pm »
After returning from two days with Rohde & Schwarz in Columbia, MD I'm not sure if it was nice to receive an AN8008 which cost me $6.11 post paid on that melt-down Monday at the end of November.  Anyway, each has its purpose.  I will be receiving an R&S ETL DTV RF analyzer to go along with my EFA.

The AN8008 was measured to have under 0.05% DC voltage accuracy and generally under 0.1% AC accuracy from 10 mV up to the 100 volt upper extreme tested.  And, while not that sensitive I could measure frequency up to 79 MHz with it.  As an experiment, I previously changed the 2 ohm mA/A current shunt resistor to a 0.1 ohm resistor.  However, I use other meters for current measurement and I will leave this meter alone.  It is just nice to have a small meter like the AN8008 for less demanding low voltage work and let it suffer the abuse of less critical projects.

Offline Gandalf_SrTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2019, 09:37:30 am »
After returning from two days with Rohde & Schwarz in Columbia, MD I'm not sure if it was nice to receive an AN8008 which cost me $6.11 post paid on that melt-down Monday at the end of November...
Rats! I overpaid for mine :( I paid $6.47 + shipping :(
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline immajor

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2020, 09:46:17 pm »
Hi all!

I would like to ask a little help regarding the AN8008. I have this meter and it was happy with it, but I noticed the AC voltage range is measuring a constant ~9VAC even if nothing is connected. If I manually change the range the it is ~93VAC

When I was "massaging" the pcb, I was able to make it to show 0V, but only for a few seconds. So I re-soldered all the parts (except the main chip) but the issue is still there.

Could you give me a hint if it is fixable or not?

Other functions work correctly except this one.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 09:48:06 pm by immajor »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2020, 12:54:47 am »
I wonder if this is an issue with the contact between the PCB and the rotary switch. It is not uncommon on such budget meters.

Another alternative is perhaps grime or other contaminant on the PCB that is causing the offset.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2020, 05:34:20 am »
I would like to ask a little help regarding the AN8008. I have this meter and it was happy with it, but I noticed the AC voltage range is measuring a constant ~9VAC even if nothing is connected. If I manually change the range the it is ~93VA

What happens if you connect the probes and short them together?

The following users thanked this post: immajor

Offline Andrey_irk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2020, 06:04:34 am »
I wonder if this is an issue with the contact between the PCB and the rotary switch. It is not uncommon on such budget meters.

The only meter I used that had this issue was the Aneng 8008. It made it useless for me because of that. I tried cleaning the contacts, bending them, using special lubricants - all was futile.

It is a shame, really. Such a neat little meter with good specs and low price, but completely unusable.

Offline immajor

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2020, 09:18:36 am »

Another alternative is perhaps grime or other contaminant on the PCB that is causing the offset.

I'm pretty sure it is not the rotary switch, because ACV DCV HZ  is on the same position and the other functions are working.

What happens if you connect the probes and short them together?

When I short the probes then it shows 0V. If I try to measure 240VAC then it shows ~94VAC.
When it is not connected to anything then it goes back to ~93VAC (sometimes back to 0V for a sec).

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2020, 10:24:56 am »
If I try to measure 240VAC then it shows ~94VAC.

Have you been using it to measure 240V AC a lot? If so, you might have made a mistake and zapped it (selector in wrong position).

It's a good idea to get something tougher than an 8008 for measuring mains - mistakes happen!

Offline immajor

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2020, 11:00:39 am »
Have you been using it to measure 240V AC a lot? If so, you might have made a mistake and zapped it (selector in wrong position).

It's a good idea to get something tougher than an 8008 for measuring mains - mistakes happen!

Actually I barely use it. Once in 1-2 month and I cant remember the last time I used it to measure main AC. I just had no phase tester pencil with me and I wanted to use it to check if the wire is live or not.

But it is possible I made a mistake and killed this function :(

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2020, 04:53:26 pm »
Could also just be a broken bond connection of the blob by shrinkage of the blob resin. Could be a hairline crack of the PCB since applying mechanical plessure in some places restored the proper behaviour momentarily. Whatsoever, at the price these meters are sold for, I wouldn't expect any QC that's worth that designation. Moreover, spending any considerable time trying to repair it (except for training the skills) isn't worth it. I'ld forget it and get a (slightly...) more decent one.  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf