Author Topic: The 'Official' AN8008 Meter Thread  (Read 7071 times)

Offline Gandalf_SrTopic starter

• Super Contributor
The 'Official' AN8008 Meter Thread
« on: November 25, 2019, 06:03:50 pm »
I already own an Aneng AN8008 (also sold as the ZT109) and it's a pretty useful meter.  I saw one today on Amazon for $6.49 US (+$2.99 shipping) and I couldn't resist (I've paid more for a beer) so I bought it. As expected it says it won't arrive until December 17 - January 9 so clearly it's on a slow boat from China, perhaps on a camel along the silk road?  See the picture, it's not actually got 'Aneng' on it but it does have a cool black case.

Let's use this thread to come up with all the things we can do with/to an AN8008.

1. Calibrate it, my instructions on how to do that are here.
2. Dave's done a video review which I've put at the bottom - I concur with Dave, the Cat ratings are quixotic, BE CAREFUL!
3. Fuses are 3.6 x 10 mm and can be purchased here...(can someone give me a link?)
4. Someone has done a fuse upgrade here (still looking for it)
5. Stability can be increased by adding Caps to reduce ripple on the power supply; check out this link.
6. Russian website that covers most aspects of hacking the flash memory (use Google translate)
7. Accuracy is pretty good except for low current (2-30 mA AC). This post gives typical results.
8. Setting to hack the eeprom to add Temp to mV range is here.
9. Kerry Wong's English website on DTM0660L-based meters and how to hack the eeprom is here.
10. Price ranges from $6.50 to $25

Send in your ideas (note: suggestions for uses as an alternative to a rodent will likely be rejected).

Dave's video on Youtube
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 12:03:02 pm by Gandalf_Sr »
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

The following users thanked this post: Johnboy

Offline bc888

• Regular Contributor
Re: The 'Official' AN8008 Meter Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 12:12:56 am »
It looks good until you see the UT139C that retails for over $90 going for $9.69 with free shipping as well. No thanks. Looking forward to your notes on what shows up on your doorstep though. In fact, why not get the alleged 139C as well and do a head to head test?

https://www.amazon.com/Multimeters-Electronic-Multimeter-Temperature-Measurement/dp/B07C77KXHC/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=ut139+multimeter&qid=1574726830&sr=8-1

Offline geogeo

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 12:57:18 am »
Earlier this year, I bought a 17 dollar ut139c  on Amazon. No uni-t logo, but comparing to posted photos it appears to be the real thing. Works great too.  I paid $24 for my AN8008. The ut139c is the better meter, but the an8008 is easier to carry around in my backpack on the rare occasions I need take it along. Each has it's place.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 01:03:48 am »
It looks good until you see the UT139C that retails for over $90 going for $9.69 with free shipping as well. No thanks. Looking forward to your notes on what shows up on your doorstep though. In fact, why not get the alleged 139C as well and do a head to head test?

https://www.amazon.com/Multimeters-Electronic-Multimeter-Temperature-Measurement/dp/B07C77KXHC/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=ut139+multimeter&qid=1574726830&sr=8-1
So your link brings up a UT139 meter priced at $70.79, where can you get it for $9.69?

I got a 'your item has shipped email' very shortly after I placed the order for the AN8008.

Has anyone figured out how to give the AN8008 serial communications?

Offline bc888

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 04:28:51 am »

There was 1 at that $9.69 price. Someone got it (anyone here?). I should have screenshotted it, but wasn't that interested. It was there when I posted.

Offline Johnboy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 06:53:24 am »
I have a ZT109 with no sticker actually calling it an AN8008, nothing printed but the CAT rating (!). I got it about a year ago when someone was offloading a pile of them for eleven dollars shipped. I read that the AIMO process meters might have been the same sort of thing, rejects or factory seconds or whatever. My ZT109 has a sort of warping of the casing that wouldn't have allowed the branding sticker on the top left to lie flat. That might be the only reason it was discounted and abandoned by the would-be badger. Hope so, anyway.

I was interested enough that I bought a few of the Zotek meters, and I preferred the ZT109 to any of the others. It almost qualifies as a pocket meter-- an enterprising mind could certainly make it so-- and mine seems accurate enough. It's sort of fun, but my other meters are bricks, they feel like tools. This is, well... it's portable, it measures very low voltages. It's certainly worth what I paid for it, not that I use it often since getting a Simpson. Measurements are just more fun chasing a needle reading the scales, even if it can't claim the precision of the little red bug from the long boat.

Hey, I noticed your AN8008 appears to have a black case. Trade ya.  :)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 10:01:56 am »
Hey, I noticed your AN8008 appears to have a black case. Trade ya.  :)
Dream on Johnboy!

Given that the unit name is blank (at least the picture shows that), maybe I could invent my own meter brand name like ACME?

I am presuming that, for $6.49, this is a second/reject but I will do whatever upgrades are necessary/possible on this one.  I understand that temperature is one that can be done with a chip reprogram.  Again, if you can help out by giving me the links to the appropriate content, I'll edit the first post to create an AN8008 index.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 10:04:02 am »
Earlier this year, I bought a 17 dollar ut139c  on Amazon. No uni-t logo, but comparing to posted photos it appears to be the real thing. Works great too. I paid $24 for my AN8008. The ut139c is the better meter, but the an8008 is easier to carry around in my backpack on the rare occasions I need take it along. Each has it's place.
Same here.It was sold as DM139C and it is the real deal as I put it through its paces including slapping it to a high voltage source on the non-volts ranges.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2019, 03:24:20 pm »
Hmm, the black AN8008 I 'purchased' for $6.49 may be a scammer sale.  The China post tracking says the tracking number that was created on Nov 25 is unknown.  Seller was Mootea310

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2019, 04:23:57 pm »
Hmm, the black AN8008 I 'purchased' for $6.49 may be a scammer sale.  The China post tracking says the tracking number that was created on Nov 25 is unknown.  Seller was Mootea310
A few months ago I had a similar price for a AN8009 that didn't materialize. It was from eBay, though.

I personally wouldn't pay the current regular price for the AN8008/8009 - there are better meters out there, but YMMV.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 01:19:24 pm by rsjsouza »

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2019, 05:50:22 pm »
I personally wouldn't pay the current regular price for the AN8008/8009 - there are better meters out there, but YMMV.

Nope. Not when you can get an AN860B+ for the same price (and an AN870 for $5 more).

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2019, 10:16:41 am »

Nope. Not when you can get an AN860B+ for the same price (and an AN870 for $5 more).
I didn't pay the current price (around $20 I think)  for my second AN8008, I paid < $10 US shipped.

I already own an AN870 and it's a good meter but much bigger than the AN8008.  I have suspicions about the seller but they responded to my latest query about the bad tracking number (see email in picture below).  I didn't follow that t.17track link as it might be dodgy (and I suggest no one else does either) but I did query the new tracking number with China Post and it's a valid number that is going to the USA.  Now I have to wait until January.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 10:20:45 am by Gandalf_Sr »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2019, 11:44:08 am »
Good luck with your meter! The website m.17track.net is good but I wouldn't click on the link either.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2019, 01:06:22 pm »
Good luck with your meter! The website m.17track.net is good but I wouldn't click on the link either.
Thanks.  I now have a feeling that my < $10 US (shipped) AN8008 will arrive but it may have been bought using a stolen credit card which is how the triangular scam works.  If my paperwork (assuming there is any) that comes with my meter (assuming I get one) shows anything other than purchased by me then I will report to Amazon.

Offline ender4171

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2019, 02:34:05 pm »

http://parcelsapp.com/en is even better.  Also shows when a package is assigned a second (and sometimes third) tracking number as it goes through the process.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2019, 05:22:34 pm »

http://parcelsapp.com/en is even better.  Also shows when a package is assigned a second (and sometimes third) tracking number as it goes through the process.
Interesting to know, the more the merrier.

Although I have found that 17track has usually the most up-to-date information. Several past orders were shown still in transit by EMS, Cainiao, etc. while I already had my package in hands (which was also reflected by the 17track).

Offline geogeo

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2019, 07:27:04 pm »
I just got a refund from Amazon on my 8008 order. No real explanation, just "account adjustment".

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2019, 07:50:48 pm »
I just got a refund from Amazon on my 8008 order. No real explanation, just "account adjustment".
What was the name of your seller?

Offline geogeo

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2019, 10:22:08 pm »
Mootea310

I'd gotten a tracking number from them right away, but it never showed any updates.

The following users thanked this post: Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2019, 11:22:36 am »
Well I'm < $10 US out of pocket right now; I'll wait to see if the second tracking number delivers something but I'm not going to hold my breath.

[EDIT1] 12/23/2019 The second tracking number shows that something has arrived in Detroit (about 40 miles from where I live)
Your item arrived at our DETROIT MI DISTRIBUTION CENTER destination facility on December 23, 2019 at 12:01 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

[EDIT2] Now it's "out for delivery", it's a MIRACLE (maybe).
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 03:41:35 pm by Gandalf_Sr »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2019, 01:16:37 am »
A Christmas miracle! Yesterday a shiny new black Aneng AN8008 arrived in my mailbox, it even came with a decent probe set in addition to the crappy screw-adapter ones that came with my last one.  After a quick check of the packaging, I put some batteries in and tested against my in-calibration DMMcheck + and it was dead nuts on; 5V gave 5.000 and 1 kOhm gave 1.000 k.  I paid more for the nice gold-plated silicon lead set that I bought for my first red AN8008 than I did for this whole new black AN8008.  I still suspect there was something dodgy about the deal - the original tracking number was BS but I paid my $6.49 + shipping, got the item within the specified time, and, so far, it seems perfect.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 01:20:43 am by Gandalf_Sr »

Offline geogeo

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2019, 07:15:22 pm »
(Reply to post#4)

Yes, that was me. When I made the order, I'm sure the pictures showed a 139c but now they've changed to show a 139A.

I got an email this morning from Amazon that I'm getting a refund, order cancelled.

BUT, the tracking number shows *something* is being delivered today.  Anyone want to place bets on just what I find in my mailbox when I get home?

[Edit] And, the answer was....

Nothing.

Tracking now shows an attempted delivery in some town in Texas. Nowhere near where I live. Ah, the old fake tracking number scam.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 11:23:58 pm by geogeo »

Offline geogeo

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2019, 07:18:14 pm »
A Christmas miracle! Yesterday a shiny new black Aneng AN8008 arrived in my mailbox, it even came with a decent probe set in addition to the crappy screw-adapter ones that came with my last one.  After a quick check of the packaging, I put some batteries in and tested against my in-calibration DMMcheck + and it was dead nuts on; 5V gave 5.000 and 1 kOhm gave 1.000 k.  I paid more for the nice gold-plated silicon lead set that I bought for my first red AN8008 than I did for this whole new black AN8008.  I still suspect there was something dodgy about the deal - the original tracking number was BS but I paid my $6.49 + shipping, got the item within the specified time, and, so far, it seems perfect.

Congrats, looks good in black!

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2019, 10:22:34 pm »
Why do you title this the "official" thread?  :-//
The original is here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/an8008-us-$19-10000count-1uv-0-01ua-0-01ohm-resolution-meter/

Anyhow, take it apart and do the capacitor mod. Don't forget AN8008 has a dead spot around AC 1mA and reads low until several mA.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2019, 11:02:27 pm »
Why do you title this the "official" thread?  :-//
The original is here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/an8008-us-$19-10000count-1uv-0-01ua-0-01ohm-resolution-meter/

Anyhow, take it apart and do the capacitor mod. Don't forget AN8008 has a dead spot around AC 1mA and reads low until several mA.
I wanted to bring all the important things together in a post that had links.  I will do the capacitor mod; at the moment, it seems to take 3 or 4 display updates before the reading settles down and I'm suspecting that's caused by power supply noise.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf