Author Topic: The Siglent SDG1000 and SDG800 thread  (Read 167391 times)

Offline SouthPark

• Contributor
Re: The Siglent SDG1000 and SDG800 thread
« Reply #300 on: November 18, 2016, 08:09:26 pm »
I too wondered why SP needs GPIB and he didn't get one of the new X series models with their additional LAN connectivity, bigger displays and increased and improved functionality, but all this comes at additional cost that some can't justify. Maybe that ?  :-//

hahaha! Seriously, (genuinely), I think it's a case about me being a little behind the times!!! But it's really tremendous that you and MacBeth are showing how to control these instruments with the USB capabilities. I'm starting to understand that there are more up-to-date options now.

I did purchase an HP 82357B adapter (for about AU$100), which I was assuming that I would need to plug the USB end into the SDG-1025 and the GPIB-end of the adapter to a GPIB-card (at the computer side). But now, it appears that I could just use a USB cable to connect the SDG-1025 directly to a PC (computer), and then use Labview to control the SDG-1025.

Oh well. But maybe all is not lost. I have a HP 53181A frequency counter. Maybe I can plug the GPIB-end of the HP 82357B adapter into this frequency counter, and then plug the USB end of the adapter to a PC, which would let me control the GPIB frequency counter without any need for a GPIB card?

Thanks you guys!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 08:22:25 pm by SouthPark »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #301 on: November 18, 2016, 08:26:28 pm »
Thanks for contributing Macbeth! If I have a bunch of GPIB devices, is it possible to use this USB-TMC method to link them all in? For example, use a single GPIB-USB adapter and plug the GPIB connector end into a GPIB function generator, and daisy-chain that GPIB bus to other GPIB instruments, and the USB connector (of the GPIB-USB adapter) connects to a computer/PC. And the computer will be able to see all the devices and control them all, right?

And if we have a bunch of instruments having USB-TMC capability, then we just need a USB hub to connect them all together, right?
Yes. Things have become much easier with instruments with USB-TMC or even a LAN interface. No more need for expensive GPIB interfaces and cables. Also it shouldn't be hard to interface either with or without the VISA layer because after all the communication is just ASCII text and (escaped) binary.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #302 on: November 18, 2016, 08:28:39 pm »
Yes. A good USB-GPIB adapter like an Agilent 82357B will allow your PC to control many GPIB instruments in a daisy chain using its USB to the PC rather than the old ISA or PCI bus cards. It will not work in reverse to allow a Siglent SDG1025 USB to GPIB - you will need the specific Siglent device for that.

You can also just use a straight USB lead for modern devices. These can not be daisy chained but will just need a USB hub instead if your PC doesn't already have enough USB ports.

Older instruments with just a GPIB and an RS232 interface (like my Keithley 2000) can be connected to a USB hub using a super cheap Serial-USB lead.

Then there are LAN or LXI devices which can just be plugged into your network router/switch.

On your PC you should have a VISA driver like NI-VISA or Keysight I/O on Windows, or use Python pyVISA instead (good for Linux).

Now there are some instruments out there that do need GPIB (or HPIB) to communicate amongst themselves, but that is pretty much proprietary like Hewlett Packard from the 1980's. There is no way Siglent have that stuff in their GPIB implementation.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #303 on: November 18, 2016, 08:50:08 pm »

I did purchase an HP 82357B adapter (for about AU$100), which I was assuming that I would need to plug the USB end into the SDG-1025 and the GPIB-end of the adapter to a GPIB-card (at the computer side). But now, it appears that I could just use a USB cable to connect the SDG-1025 directly to a PC (computer), and then use Labview to control the SDG-1025.

Correct.
There's 2 common methods used for remote control.
Siglent's EasyWave that not all like, but with it you also need NIVISA for the USB drivers contained within.
http://www.siglentamerica.com/gjjrj-xq.aspx?id=2596&tid=14

LabVIEW and the specific drivers for all the Siglent products are here:
http://www.siglentamerica.com/gjjrj.aspx?id=204

The Programming manual with the command set should be on the shipped CD.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Siglent America

« Reply #304 on: December 02, 2016, 07:27:34 pm »
Some people might be interested in knowing -

There is a brand new FW update for the Siglent SDG1000 generators that removes the requirement of having to select a language at boot-up. (This is for models such as the SDG1025, SDG1050. This FW is not for the newer SDG1000X series of generators).

It can be found here:
http://siglentamerica.com/gjjrj-xq.aspx?id=4997&tid=15

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #305 on: December 02, 2016, 07:37:37 pm »

There is a brand new FW update for the Siglent SDG1000 generators that removes the requirement of having to select a language at boot-up. (This is for models such as the SDG1025, SDG1050. This FW is not for the newer SDG1000X series of generators).

It can be found here:
:-+
 :clap:
Great, we've been asking for this. Thanks.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #306 on: December 02, 2016, 08:24:24 pm »
Any other changes?
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Siglent America

« Reply #307 on: December 02, 2016, 09:03:27 pm »
Any other changes?

That was the only thing listed in the log so I believe that is the only change.

Offline WVL_KsZeN

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #308 on: December 05, 2016, 01:32:16 pm »
This is nice.. not.  I updated and now everything is in Chinese..

can someone guide me through the menu's to set it back to English?

Much appreciated!!

Offline WVL_KsZeN

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #309 on: December 05, 2016, 01:41:21 pm »
This is nice.. not.  I updated and now everything is in Chinese..

can someone guide me through the menu's to set it back to English?

Much appreciated!!

I already managed to go back to English. If the same happens to you :

- press utility
- go to the second page (press 1/3)
- press the button below 2/3 (which is System)
- press the language button, the langauge shows in white.
- keep pressing it until you get English

phew.

Offline DG5SAY

• Contributor
« Reply #310 on: December 05, 2016, 05:15:30 pm »

It can be found here:

OK, I updated to this version 1.1.1.38R2, seems to work fine, but the previous version 1.1.1.37R3 (more than one year old) also does not ask for the language at boot-up on my SDG1025!?

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #311 on: December 05, 2016, 11:38:15 pm »
OK, I updated to this version 1.1.1.38R2, seems to work fine, but the previous version 1.1.1.37R3 (more than one year old) also does not ask for the language at boot-up on my SDG1025!?
It's a storm in a teacup - the immediately previous updates had a choice of Chinese/English on boot. I imagine the target market for Siglent is China EE universities, while our western uni's are spending time on far more serious and important stuff like Inter-sectional feminism, Cultural appropriation, BLM, infinite gender pronouns, etc.

I'm just a dick who never went to Uni and even I worked out the reason why Siglent had the dual China/English switch on display (Market = Education - doh!) and also found the well publicized method of fixing it.

It seems absurd that Siglent would just "fix" this issue to make it default to Chinese unless their previous dual language setup confused their home market so much?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #312 on: December 06, 2016, 08:25:11 am »
It's a storm in a teacup - the immediately previous updates had a choice of Chinese/English on boot. I imagine the target market for Siglent is China EE universities, while our western uni's are spending time on far more serious and important stuff like Inter-sectional feminism, Cultural appropriation, BLM, infinite gender pronouns, etc.

I'm just a dick who never went to Uni and even I worked out the reason why Siglent had the dual China/English switch on display (Market = Education - doh!) and also found the well publicized method of fixing it.

It seems absurd that Siglent would just "fix" this issue to make it default to Chinese unless their previous dual language setup confused their home market so much?
Yes it does.  :-//
Haven't had a chance to update my SDG1010 yet but when I do if it defaults to Mandarin they'll be hearing about it.  :box:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline DG5SAY

• Contributor
« Reply #313 on: December 06, 2016, 02:34:34 pm »
Haven't had a chance to update my SDG1010 yet but when I do if it defaults to Mandarin they'll be hearing about it.  :box:

After the update to 1.1.1.38R2 the default language after the first reboot is: Mandarin !  :-DD
And yes, I needed the help of Reply #309 !
Be sure that you set the default state to "Last" after change to English language.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #314 on: December 06, 2016, 11:00:06 pm »

After the update to 1.1.1.38R2 the default language after the first reboot is: Mandarin !  :-DD
Be sure that you set the default state to "Last" after change to English language.
Confirmed.  >:(
Why would they do that ?  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline DG5SAY

• Contributor
« Reply #315 on: December 08, 2016, 07:02:34 am »

because of "Yolo" (https://www.eevblog.com/2015/12/03/eevblog-826-siglent-ceo-eric-qin-visits-the-eevblog-lab/)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #316 on: December 08, 2016, 07:10:09 am »

because of "Yolo" (https://www.eevblog.com/2015/12/03/eevblog-826-siglent-ceo-eric-qin-visits-the-eevblog-lab/)
I doubt very much if Eric has any clue about this, but I do know this FW and its default to Mandarin is on his Product Managers desk.  :horse:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Pirapoense

« Reply #317 on: December 12, 2016, 12:57:02 pm »

It can be found here:

I also updated to 38R2 but comparing to 37R3 now I can not set dbm at Ampl menu because it appears the word "cancel" instead of "dbm". Any suggestion? Can I go back to 37R3? Regards.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 01:06:02 pm by Pirapoense »

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #318 on: December 12, 2016, 01:39:30 pm »

It can be found here:

I also updated to 38R2 but comparing to 37R3 now I can not set dbm at Ampl menu because it appears the word "cancel" instead of "dbm". Any suggestion? Can I go back to 37R3? Regards.

Not tested with this model  (but with SDG5000).  Check that output level display is set for 50ohm.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 01:41:53 pm by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline Pirapoense

« Reply #319 on: December 12, 2016, 07:33:12 pm »

It can be found here:

Not tested with this model  (but with SDG5000).  Check that output level display is set for 50ohm.

You are absolutely right. It is necessary to "declare" what is the load (50 ohm in my case) to have the "dbm" in the Ampl menu.
Thanks and regards.

Offline Ringmodulator

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #320 on: May 05, 2017, 11:36:32 am »
Hi,

it looks like the video for the TCXO modification is gone.

Can someone supply a picture, where exactly the jumper has to be placed?

As far as I can remember, it is between one contact for the original chrystal and the TCXO.

Regards
Chris

Offline Ringmodulator

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #321 on: May 06, 2017, 03:09:36 pm »
I have found the attached picture of the mod, which is probably from a rebranded unit.

Can anyone confirm, that this is the right way to implement a 25MHz tcxo to a SDG1025?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 07:08:22 pm by Ringmodulator »

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #322 on: May 06, 2017, 03:14:09 pm »
Yes, that looks right.

Offline anubis801

« Reply #323 on: May 07, 2017, 12:57:55 pm »
Hi everyone,

I had my old channel deleted.
Here is the video in my new youtube channel.

https://youtu.be/CIpSlJEBMEo

Enjoy!

Does anyone know how to update the original link?
It seems I can't edit my own old post

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #324 on: May 07, 2017, 07:43:31 pm »
Hi everyone,

I had my old channel deleted.
Here is the video in my new youtube channel.

Enjoy!

Does anyone know how to update the original link?
It seems I can't edit my own old post
Not sure if you have to get to 5 posts and past Newbie, but we all can by using the Modify button on our existing posts.
If that won't work, hit the Report button on your post and ask one of the moderators to help you.
If you add the new link to your report it might be faster and simpler for them to just add it to the old post for you.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf