Author Topic: The Siglent SDG1000 and SDG800 thread  (Read 168339 times)

Offline burkm

• Regular Contributor
Re: The Siglent SDG1000 and SDG800 thread
« Reply #275 on: July 12, 2016, 08:03:12 pm »
I do regular calibrations on almost all my equipment as a standard procedure as a good habit.
The same is recommended by everyone else including manufacturing.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #276 on: July 14, 2016, 01:31:41 am »
I looked through my accessories, which came with the Siglent SDG 1025 (CD and so forth), and didn't find the EasyTest software mentioned in the service manual for calibrating the signal generator.
Without it not much can be done, can't it ? Does anyone have this software or can it be downloaded somewhere ? Didn't find anything on the Net yet ?
How do you calibrate the unit, which seems to be doable only through a software interface mentionend in the service manual.
So does the unit no longer meet advertised specs?  :-//
Have you run the internal self cal?

Does the UI report any error?
How old is your unit, Siglent products have three years warranty.

Sorry but this is a pretty shit response. The fact is that test equipment has to be calibrated, and if out of cal it should have an adjustment procedure that any lab can do. Siglent even say in their own documentation that they have software available "EasyTest" to do this.

There is no reason why anyone should not be able to self calibrate their instruments either. Especially closed case using SCPI. I can do this with all my "proper" test equipment, HP, Agilent, Keithley, all well documented and freely available. Even Rigol publish the calibration procedure for the DP800 and DM3000 series PSU's and DMM's.

Of course if Siglent just make throw away toys for the landfill then thats just fine. Keep defending that ideology.

Offline Deuze

• Contributor
« Reply #277 on: July 14, 2016, 03:55:31 am »
I looked through my accessories, which came with the Siglent SDG 1025 (CD and so forth), and didn't find the EasyTest software mentioned in the service manual for calibrating the signal generator.
Without it not much can be done, can't it ? Does anyone have this software or can it be downloaded somewhere ? Didn't find anything on the Net yet ?
How do you calibrate the unit, which seems to be doable only through a software interface mentionend in the service manual.

Sorry but this is a pretty shit response. The fact is that test equipment has to be calibrated, and if out of cal it should have an adjustment procedure that any lab can do. Siglent even say in their own documentation that they have software available "EasyTest" to do this.

There is no reason why anyone should not be able to self calibrate their instruments either. Especially closed case using SCPI. I can do this with all my "proper" test equipment, HP, Agilent, Keithley, all well documented and freely available. Even Rigol publish the calibration procedure for the DP800 and DM3000 series PSU's and DMM's.

Of course if Siglent just make throw away toys for the landfill then thats just fine. Keep defending that ideology.

Maybe you should modify your post. See this Service manual, from page 22, you will see Siglent list all the instruments for calibration and also the calibration procedure.
http://www.siglentamerica.com/USA_website_2014/Documents/service_manual/SDG1000_ServiceManual_SM02010-E01B.pdf
Always on a trip....

Offline Deuze

• Contributor
« Reply #278 on: July 14, 2016, 03:57:48 am »
I do regular calibrations on almost all my equipment as a standard procedure as a good habit.
The same is recommended by everyone else including manufacturing.

hallo, I think you should contact Siglent directly. I also have this kind of question. Let us know please.
Always on a trip....

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #279 on: July 14, 2016, 06:43:06 am »

Maybe you should modify your post. See this Service manual, from page 22, you will see Siglent list all the instruments for calibration and also the calibration procedure.
http://www.siglentamerica.com/USA_website_2014/Documents/service_manual/SDG1000_ServiceManual_SM02010-E01B.pdf
Maybe?
 :-DD
Macbeth is on another planet IMO.  ::)

I asked burkm a few quite reasonable questions that he has not made any attempt to answer, maybe there's a language problem, I don't really know?  :-//
Siglent Tech support (and I am not) would ask exactly these questions in an effort to establish what problem, if any exists.

So I'll ask burkm again:

Does the unit no longer meet advertised specs?
Does the User Interface report any error?

So I'll rephrase that:
Is your unit still in warranty?
What is the purchase date?

5 simple questions need be answered before further appropriate advice can wisely be given.

@ burkm
I have never needed or ever been offered any Siglent calibration software, but if we can establish that you require it and I can source it I will attempt to provide it for you.
That been said, I do not know if it is restricted software for Calibration labs but in due course we will discover the software status.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #280 on: July 14, 2016, 09:06:47 am »
I do not know if it is restricted software for Calibration labs but in due course we will discover the software status.

Not want OT but just sidenote: Have you looked up to date SDG2000X  Service Manual. ;)
Python, NI... etc.+

But overall, imho, we need some serious and wise discussing about calibration related things.
Least it need also look with manufacturer eyes (who is also responsible about product warraanty)Then it need look with distributtor/seller/service eeyes and then, importantly, also it need look with "end user" eyes. Also need look with: who is responsible in different cases if some unwanted things happend when doing adjustments.
These all are bit different cases and need bit different approach angle.

Is it also good that Siglent improve calibration/adjustment system so that it also keep nonvolatile log inside equipment and it can show  cal  counter/id visible in system status screen or something like this. In some places equipmeents need valid cal certificate. If cal is not secured how certificate can know it is valid and after then no one have done failed cal. How to secure it.

But I think it is better to start with dedicated thread for these manifold things around cal..
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 09:15:22 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #281 on: July 15, 2016, 02:41:35 am »
Maybe you should read the thread - the calibration procedure requires "EasyTest" software. This has so far been "unobtanium" - Even tautech, a Siglent distributor, has never set eyes on a copy. I don't know if rf-loop has it either. Why it isn't provided as a download alongside the ServiceManual document that references it I don't know? ... and yes I have asked Siglent in the past and just got no response.

Do I need it right now this second? No. But in a couple of years when Siglent will have dropped all support... Yes, I am pretty sure... Only nobody will have a copy of this elusive software when they finally need it.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #282 on: July 15, 2016, 03:23:46 am »
Maybe you should read the thread - the calibration procedure requires "EasyTest" software. This has so far been "unobtanium" - Even tautech, a Siglent distributor, has never set eyes on a copy. I don't know if rf-loop has it either. Why it isn't provided as a download alongside the ServiceManual document that references it I don't know? ... and yes I have asked Siglent in the past and just got no response.

Do I need it right now this second? No. But in a couple of years when Siglent will have dropped all support... Yes, I am pretty sure... Only nobody will have a copy of this elusive software when they finally need it.
Again you talk with a hole in your head.  :palm:

Please re-read the posts.

FYI, I have never had the need to ask for Easy Test nor would I (and most other distributors) have all the reference equipment required for specific models and series of Siglent gear. Each unit has specific required references as outlined in the factory Calibration certificates that I doubt other than Cal labs would own.
So, no way would I attempt to Calibrate any Siglent equipment, we have a good Cal lab not far from me whom with Siglent's authorization we would appoint to ensure equipment meets manufacturers specification.
Anything less is a half-arsed job IMHO.  :--
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #283 on: July 15, 2016, 03:42:32 am »
Maybe?
 :-DD
Macbeth is on another planet IMO.  ::)
I'm on another planet? Perhaps you would like to read the calibration and adjustment procedure from Siglents own manual and try and figure out what planet they are on?
I asked burkm a few quite reasonable questions that he has not made any attempt to answer, maybe there's a language problem, I don't really know?  :-//
Siglent Tech support (and I am not) would ask exactly these questions in an effort to establish what problem, if any exists.
Why do you think there has to be a problem with the instrument? burkm quite reasonably wants to know how it is possible to calibrate and adjust his instrument exactly as Siglent not only state, but RECOMMEND in their own document...

Quote from: SIGLENT
Calibration Interval

The instrument should be calibrated on a regular interval determined by the
measurement accuracy requirements of your application. A 1-year interval is
adequate for most applications. Accuracy specifications will remain valid only if
adjustment is made at regular calibration intervals. Accuracy specifications are
not valid beyond the 1-year calibration interval. SIGLENT does not recommend
extending calibration intervals beyond 2 years for any application.

Adjustment is Recommended

Specifications are valid only within the period from the last adjustment.
Whatever calibration interval you select, SIGLENT recommends that
re-adjustment should be always performed within the calibration interval. This
is necessary to ensure the accuracy of the performance data measured during
the calibration interval.

So Siglent clearly highly recommend not just a performance test but actual adjustment every year (or 2 years max).

They then go on to explain how to do this using the elusive "EasyTest" and even more mysterious "script prepared previously" (Where, when, by whom?)  :-DD

For the avoidance of doubt, I do not expect a distributor such as yourself to do this and it is clear burkm doesn't either. This is something an end user can do providing they are suitably competent and have the equipment to do it. If not then they can use their own organisations calibration facilities or farm it out to a third party provider.

I have previously asked Siglent for this "EasyTest" and got nowhere. I'm pretty sure no calibration facility has this proprietary stuff either.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #284 on: July 15, 2016, 04:42:39 am »
They then go on to explain how to do this using the elusive "EasyTest" and even more mysterious "script prepared previously" (Where, when, by whom?) 

Translate to your laguage words "script", "prepared" and "previously". (perhaps "previously" is confusing you but there it is just under your eyes if you read this manual.

I have previously asked Siglent for this "EasyTest" and got nowhere

What is this "got" and "nowhere"?

Overall after reading these comments I'm quite sure EasyTest software for these named equipments must never set for public distribution.
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #285 on: July 15, 2016, 05:10:49 am »
I'm pretty sure no calibration facility has this proprietary stuff either.
And wrong again:
The US use Transcat for Siglent calibration:
http://www.transcat.com/brand/siglent?cat=3

As stated in this thread, from nearly a year ago:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-797-siglent-sds1000x-review/msg763096/#msg763096

If Siglent owners need calibration services then it is best they contact their local Siglent dealer for recommendations as to where this can be achieved. Period.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline ruffy91

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #286 on: July 15, 2016, 05:15:55 am »
This thread has just changed my decision to buy siglent gear.
Thanks for your help in staying away from this gear.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #287 on: July 19, 2016, 11:04:53 pm »
Well, well well... I decided to skip going through all the dealers and go straight for Siglent HQ. I got a fantastic response from a really nice guy - Siglent do not use a proprietary .exe "EasyTest" - but a really nice calibration and adjustment suite written in Python with Microsoft Excel documents for the results.

He apologised that there are many prompts in Chinese - this is the exact code that Shenzen use for factory production use after all. Looking at the code there is nothing to apologise for! It's all written in very clear English and nicely structured.

Now it is only written for specific equipment but in a very nice manner that will let you add your own Python equipment library for example. It scans the VISA network and use *IDN? to determine if suitable DMM, Scope and Power Meter are available.

I've asked for permission to publish on EEV. After all, some dealers appear to have a "gatekeeper" attitude and I don't want to step on their toes.

But for providing excellent information for their test gear then I am a Siglent fan again!  :-+
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 11:08:11 pm by Macbeth »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #288 on: July 20, 2016, 12:01:46 am »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline new299

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #289 on: August 03, 2016, 07:14:28 pm »
Hi all,

I've been playing around a bit with my SDG805. I don't know if it's been noted elsewhere but I found a serial console on the debug header. You can dump yourself into uboot and dump flash/play around from there. You can also access the SD card. I guess the SD card might be used for flashing the latest firmware versions during production as there's code to flash from the SD card. My notes are here:

http://41j.com/blog/2016/08/hacking-around-with-a-sdg800-sdg805/

Now in the process of reflashing uboot as I hosed the flash! Seems like there are multiple options for de-bricking the AM335x. But if anyone happens to have a complete flash dump knocking around that would be handy.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #290 on: August 03, 2016, 07:23:21 pm »
Hi all,

I've been playing around a bit with my SDG805. I don't know if it's been noted elsewhere but I found a serial console on the debug header. You can dump yourself into uboot and dump flash/play around from there. You can also access the SD card. I guess the SD card might be used for flashing the latest firmware versions during production as there's code to flash from the SD card. My notes are here:

http://41j.com/blog/2016/08/hacking-around-with-a-sdg800-sdg805/

Now in the process of reflashing uboot as I hosed the flash! Seems like there are multiple options for de-bricking the AM335x. But if anyone happens to have a complete flash dump knocking around that would be handy.
Oh dear.
A similar thing happened here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/the-siglent-sdg2042x-thread/msg996590/#msg996590

Sorry I don't have the file to help you, maybe another member can pull the files you need.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline new299

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #291 on: August 05, 2016, 10:22:56 am »
I've been hacking around trying to recover my SDG805 after hosing the flash. I've now been able to recover my system and my notes are written here:

http://41j.com/blog/2016/08/sdg800-recovering-from-a-hosed-u-boot/

Weirdly after recovering the flash and updating to the latest version it now identifies as a SDG830 and the standard menus go to 30MHz. Not hugely useful considering you can output 30MHz sinewaves etc on the SDG805 using arb mode but kind of interesting.

btw, in the process of trying to recover the system I asked Siglent for the source code of the GPL software used in the SDG805 (including u-boot) they refuse to provide it which is kind of a shame (and a violation of the GPL of course).

Offline SouthPark

• Contributor
« Reply #292 on: November 18, 2016, 04:48:56 am »
Hi all, I purchased a SDG-1025, which has been working nicely. And I have ordered a second hand 82357B USB-GPIB adapter, which is on its way - but I don't even know if I actually need this adapter or not.

My barrier right now is..... I tried to figure out what I need to do for getting the SDG-1025 to work with GPIB. The user manual indicates 'GPIB-optional', but that's about it. I google 'SDG-1025 GPIB', and look for videos or images that could give hints about what hardware is needed (eg. a photo of a cable connection, or a GPIB-adapter connected to a SDG-1025). I wasn't able to find anything like that. I have not found a single photo on the internet (or anywhere) that even shows a SIGLENT device (of any kind) connected via a GPIB interface/adapter etc. Maybe there is something in this.

Then I came across this thread here, which could be really handy.

If anybody has successfully used their SDG-1025 (or SDG-1000 series) to work with GPIB, then could you please point me in the right direction about what hardware I need to buy? In particular, the user manual says 'gpib optional'. Does that mean I need to purchase a hardware GPIB card that needs to be physically installed in the SDG-1025? Or does that mean I can connect the USB end of a 82357B USB-GPIB adapter into the front-side USB port of the SDG-1025, and the other end of the adapter to a GPIB-card (attached to a computer/PC)?

Thanks for any help in advance! Nice to have found this thread in EEVblog.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #293 on: November 18, 2016, 05:14:46 am »
Hi all, I purchased a SDG-1025, which has been working nicely. And I have ordered a second hand 82357B USB-GPIB adapter, which is on its way - but I don't even know if I actually need this adapter or not.

My barrier right now is..... I tried to figure out what I need to do for getting the SDG-1025 to work with GPIB. The user manual indicates 'GPIB-optional', but that's about it. I google 'SDG-1025 GPIB', and look for videos or images that could give hints about what hardware is needed (eg. a photo of a cable connection, or a GPIB-adapter connected to a SDG-1025). I wasn't able to find anything like that. I have not found a single photo on the internet (or anywhere) that even shows a SIGLENT device (of any kind) connected via a GPIB interface/adapter etc. Maybe there is something in this.

Then I came across this thread here, which could be really handy.

If anybody has successfully used their SDG-1025 (or SDG-1000 series) to work with GPIB, then could you please point me in the right direction about what hardware I need to buy? In particular, the user manual says 'gpib optional'. Does that mean I need to purchase a hardware GPIB card that needs to be physically installed in the SDG-1025? Or does that mean I can connect the USB end of a 82357B USB-GPIB adapter into the front-side USB port of the SDG-1025, and the other end of the adapter to a GPIB-card (attached to a computer/PC)?

Thanks for any help in advance! Nice to have found this thread in EEVblog.
Welcome to the forum.

On the Siglent websites there is this:
http://www.siglentamerica.com/prodcut-fjxx.aspx?fjid=370&id=145&tid=16&T=2
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: SouthPark

Offline SouthPark

• Contributor
« Reply #294 on: November 18, 2016, 06:14:15 am »
Welcome to the forum.

Hi tautech! Thanks very much for your kind help! That device will be exactly what I need.
This suggests that at least one of the USB ports of the SDG-1025 can connect to the external interface adapter. I'll see if my 82357B adapter (soon to arrive) will work once it gets here. If not, then that siglent USB-GPIB adapter should definitely get me the right path. Thanks very much again! Greatly appreciated.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #295 on: November 18, 2016, 06:51:25 am »
Welcome to the forum.

Hi tautech! Thanks very much for your kind help! That device will be exactly what I need.
This suggests that at least one of the USB ports of the SDG-1025 can connect to the external interface adapter. I'll see if my 82357B adapter (soon to arrive) will work once it gets here. If not, then that siglent USB-GPIB adapter should definitely get me the right path. Thanks very much again! Greatly appreciated.
The only bugbear with the Siglent GPIB adapter is the USB plug is USB-A which then ties up the front panel USB socket. We've made suggestions that they change it to USB-B so that it can be used in the rear USB socket, leaving the front panel socket free. Would make for a tidier installation too.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline SouthPark

• Contributor
« Reply #296 on: November 18, 2016, 04:40:33 pm »
The only bugbear with the Siglent GPIB adapter is the USB plug is USB-A which then ties up the front panel USB socket. We've made suggestions that they change it to USB-B so that it can be used in the rear USB socket, leaving the front panel socket free. Would make for a tidier installation too.  ;)

Nice suggestion tautech! I thought I read somewhere that one of the USB ports (maybe the rear port) had some different capabilities as compared with the front port. I think I need to find the source of that reading source, just to see what they meant. But, if both the front type A female port and the rear type B female port have identical USB capabilities, then making the siglent adapter have a type B male plug would be very nice.

Otherwise, a female type A to male type B adapter could possibly be used with the current version of the siglent adapter. Or maybe the siglent type A male plug can be snipped off, and a type B male plug could be fitted/soldered to the cable. Thanks again tautech!

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #297 on: November 18, 2016, 07:23:19 pm »
Forgive me but I am wondering why (expensive, near obsolete) GPIB is a requirement in this day and age when USBTMC is available and a VISA driver doesn't care if your instrument is connected using GPIB, RS232, USB or LAN?

I am yet to indulge in a GPIB->USB adaptor but I am sure I will need it one day with very old equipment, just so I can plug it into my USB hub much like my Serial->USB leads. But it seems SouthPark's requirements are the opposite way around? - Siglent USB -> GPIB

No criticism, there must be a good reason?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #298 on: November 18, 2016, 07:49:11 pm »
Forgive me but I am wondering why (expensive, near obsolete) GPIB is a requirement in this day and age when USBTMC is available and a VISA driver doesn't care if your instrument is connected using GPIB, RS232, USB or LAN?

I am yet to indulge in a GPIB->USB adaptor but I am sure I will need it one day with very old equipment, just so I can plug it into my USB hub much like my Serial->USB leads. But it seems SouthPark's requirements are the opposite way around? - Siglent USB -> GPIB

I too wondered why SP needs GPIB and he didn't get one of the new X series models with their additional LAN connectivity, bigger displays and increased and improved functionality, but all this comes at additional cost that some can't justify. Maybe that ?  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline SouthPark

• Contributor
« Reply #299 on: November 18, 2016, 07:58:48 pm »

Thanks for contributing Macbeth! If I have a bunch of GPIB devices, is it possible to use this USB-TMC method to link them all in? For example, use a single GPIB-USB adapter and plug the GPIB connector end into a GPIB function generator, and daisy-chain that GPIB bus to other GPIB instruments, and the USB connector (of the GPIB-USB adapter) connects to a computer/PC. And the computer will be able to see all the devices and control them all, right?

And if we have a bunch of instruments having USB-TMC capability, then we just need a USB hub to connect them all together, right?

If that can be done, then I'll be too happy to go for that method. I didn't know about USB-TMC before.

My SDG-1025 user manual just says "To Set IO, Press Utility ? IO Setup, to set the IO interface. The equipment stands for RAW protocol and TMC protocol, user may setup corresponding protocol by IO Setup."

Your contribution is truly appreciated, because things are now becoming more clear to me about how to best use the SDG-1025 together with other instruments (like GPIB instruments). Thanks Macbeth!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf