Author Topic: The Siglent SDG2042X Thread  (Read 548176 times)

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
Re: The Siglent SDG2042X Thread
« Reply #150 on: January 31, 2016, 05:50:58 pm »
I find it interesting that this update has the .ADS and the .CFG files like the last (16R2) update but the instructions in this update only instruct you to load the .ADS file and not the .CFG file like last time.

Are people following the instructions (thus ignoring the .CFG file) or are people following the previous instructions and loading first the .ADS and then the .CFG file?
With some other Siglent products when a.cfg file was needed for a major update, those owners that missed that update would still require the .cfg file to update future FW updates.
There was some confusion about this and I suspect that Siglent are now just including the .cfg in the FW update package in case it's needed.

It appears to be a different .CFG file though. Has Siglent indicated whether its necessary to install the new one or not?

sha1sum
29c021d994cc8c40f7234c4b66a0aedd24a084ba  SDG2000X_V2.0.CFG
ebf0723a80ce91840124c51014db752134bbfb25  SDG2000X_V3.1.CFG

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #151 on: January 31, 2016, 06:29:24 pm »
I find it interesting that this update has the .ADS and the .CFG files like the last (16R2) update but the instructions in this update only instruct you to load the .ADS file and not the .CFG file like last time.

Are people following the instructions (thus ignoring the .CFG file) or are people following the previous instructions and loading first the .ADS and then the .CFG file?
With some other Siglent products when a.cfg file was needed for a major update, those owners that missed that update would still require the .cfg file to update future FW updates.
There was some confusion about this and I suspect that Siglent are now just including the .cfg in the FW update package in case it's needed.

It appears to be a different .CFG file though. Has Siglent indicated whether its necessary to install the new one or not?

sha1sum
29c021d994cc8c40f7234c4b66a0aedd24a084ba  SDG2000X_V2.0.CFG
ebf0723a80ce91840124c51014db752134bbfb25  SDG2000X_V3.1.CFG
Unless there's instruction in the FW install package to use the new .cfg I don't think I'd bother if the main FW .ads update fixed issues that you had noticed.

As I pointed out above, if an owner got "left behind" with FW updates the .cfg file may be needed to install much later FW and it is quite possible that the .cfg file might have to "evolve" to allow later FW updates to be installed.

Siglent (China) are now on holidays until 15 Feb.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #152 on: January 31, 2016, 07:15:50 pm »
Makes sense, thanks.

Siglent America

« Reply #153 on: February 01, 2016, 03:53:35 pm »
Greetings.

I was at the factory last week and I asked that all new FW updates contain instructions on how to upgrade from older versions. That is to say, if the latest FW version is V10 then how does one upgrade from V9, V8, V7, etc. I can't guarantee how far back these older version instructions will go but I believe this will be a big help to our customers.

Thanks.

The following users thanked this post: Johncanfield

Offline W7NGA

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #154 on: February 01, 2016, 04:06:53 pm »
I see that all Siglent products have been discontinued at Tequipment.net. Have they dropped their dealership or just an egregious database glitch?

Offline billfernandezTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #155 on: February 01, 2016, 06:01:19 pm »
I was at the factory last week and I asked that all new FW updates contain instructions on how to upgrade from older versions...

That will be great, thanks!

Siglent America

« Reply #156 on: February 01, 2016, 07:22:46 pm »
I see that all Siglent products have been discontinued at Tequipment.net. Have they dropped their dealership or just an egregious database glitch?

Hi W7NGA.

For an updated list of Siglent distributors in North America you can go to our Siglent America website at
http://www.siglentamerica.com/how_to_buy

If you have any questions then you can email us at
info@Siglent.com

Thank you!
Steve

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #157 on: February 01, 2016, 07:25:26 pm »
Also, Steve says no reason to load the CFG file for the latest firmware, just the ADS only.  CFG should not have been included.

Offline MisterBiscuit

• Supporter
« Reply #158 on: February 01, 2016, 07:31:45 pm »

Hi W7NGA.

For an updated list of Siglent distributors in North America you can go to our Siglent America website at

info@Siglent.com

Wait, isn't dirty laundry supposed to be aired out in public?  ;D ;D ;D

OK, so what's the real deal here? TEquipment's EEVBLOG discount is a strong incentive that keeps me doing business with them. If there's no Siglent at TEquipment, that likely means I won't be buying any more Siglent products unless someone spills the beans on what happened here.

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #159 on: February 01, 2016, 07:33:49 pm »
Steve - tell the firmware devs they did a fantastic job on the new counter - wow is that much improved!  It has all the statistics I was looking for.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #160 on: February 01, 2016, 07:53:05 pm »

Hi W7NGA.

info@Siglent.com

OK, so what's the real deal here? TEquipment's EEVBLOG discount is a strong incentive that keeps me doing business with them. If there's no Siglent at TEquipment, that likely means I won't be buying any more Siglent products unless someone spills the beans on what happened here.

Wow, losing Tequipment seems pretty serious to those of us on the eevblog - that was the place to buy from!
VE7FM

Siglent America

« Reply #161 on: February 01, 2016, 08:27:00 pm »
I can't speak for our distributors on this but I would bet that if you contacted our other distributors that they (at least some of them) would offer the same discount.
But that is their call.

Offline saelig

• Contributor
    • Saelig Co. Inc.
« Reply #162 on: February 01, 2016, 09:13:57 pm »
I can't speak for our distributors on this but I would bet that if you contacted our other distributors that they (at least some of them) would offer the same discount.
But that is their call.

Yes indeed - Saelig offers a discount to all our EEV friends! 

- Alan Lowne (CEO - Saelig Co. Inc.  www.saelig.com)

Offline saelig

• Contributor
    • Saelig Co. Inc.
« Reply #163 on: February 01, 2016, 09:24:16 pm »

Hi W7NGA.

info@Siglent.com

We LOVE Siglent products at Saelig Co. Inc - we also offer EEVblog discounts. 

I think TE just decided to focus on other lines - they have hundreds it seems.  It's a tough world out there! 

BTW -we offer excellent tech support too in case you need advice on what to buy.

Alan Lowne
Saelig Co. Inc.  CEO

Offline saelig

• Contributor
    • Saelig Co. Inc.
« Reply #164 on: February 01, 2016, 09:25:56 pm »

Hi W7NGA.

info@Siglent.com

Wow, losing Tequipment seems pretty serious to those of us on the eevblog - that was the place to buy from!

Don't forget Saelig Co. Inc. (NY) has the full Siglent range too - with EEVblog discounts as well.  Please spread the word!

Alan Lowne
Saelig co. Inc.  CEO

Offline mojoe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #165 on: February 01, 2016, 11:13:52 pm »

Alan Lowne
Saelig Co. Inc.  CEO

That is great news. Is the discount the same as offered by TEquipment? Do we get a code, or how do we apply the discount when ordering?

Offline mojoe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #166 on: February 01, 2016, 11:28:13 pm »
Well, the TEquipment news explains my recent bad dealings with them. I ordered an SDG2042X from them recently (would have ordered from Saelig, as usual, but tempted by the TEquipment discount). Three days later, it still hadn't shipped, so I called and was told it would ship that very day. They offered to split 2-day shipping (costing me an extra $25), so I would have it on Friday. Of course, they didn't ship it out until the next day, so I didn't get it by Friday, like I paid for. I thought about contacting TEquipment to try getting my $25 back, but after this recent news, and the way I got lied to, I won't be buying from them any more. I've never had a problem with Saelig.

On top of my bad experience, I see that I got an early piece of hardware. They must have dug up some very old stock to sell me one. They should have been honest and just told me that they could not fullfill my order.

I got HW: 01-00-00-22-00. Are there any problems that I should know about? Does anyone know the difference to the latest hardware? I have only used some basic functions so far, so I don't know if all is OK. I did flash the 16R firmware. Haven't done the recent firmware yet.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 05:02:38 am by mojoe »

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #167 on: February 02, 2016, 03:25:59 am »
Mojoe, as far as I know thats the only Hardware version Siglent have made. When I bought my SDG2042X at the end of November/beginning of December it showed hardware ver 01-00-00-22-00 when I received it. And then each time I have installed a new firmware version, the hardware version has increased.

Hardware Ver     Filename
01-00-00-22-00  Default Came Installed
01-07-00-23-00  SDG2000_V200R001B01D01P15R2.ADS
01-07-00-24-00  SDG2000_V200R001B01D01P16R2.ADS, SDG2000X_V2.0.CFG
01-07-00-26-00  SDG2000_V200R001B01D01P17R5.ADS

Offline mojoe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #168 on: February 02, 2016, 05:00:44 am »
Mojoe, as far as I know thats the only Hardware version Siglent have made. When I bought my SDG2042X at the end of November/beginning of December it showed hardware ver 01-00-00-22-00 when I received it. And then each time I have installed a new firmware version, the hardware version has increased.

Hardware Ver     Filename
01-00-00-22-00  Default Came Installed
01-07-00-23-00  SDG2000_V200R001B01D01P15R2.ADS
01-07-00-24-00  SDG2000_V200R001B01D01P16R2.ADS, SDG2000X_V2.0.CFG
01-07-00-26-00  SDG2000_V200R001B01D01P17R5.ADS

Thanks for the reply. I just checked mine after installing firmware 17R5 and it did indeed change the HW version (matching yours). Strange that it would change the HW version. To me, this should indicate a new circuit board, not just firmware. That is afterall, what the FW version number is for.

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #169 on: February 02, 2016, 05:36:08 am »
Definitely agree. Caught me by surprise when I first noticed it.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #170 on: February 02, 2016, 07:11:42 am »
In SDG800 manual. Perhaps SDG2kX have something similar(?):

Hardware version:
02-00-00-21-25 represents ordinally: PCB version, BOM version, Daughter
card version, FPGA version, CPLD version.
I think least FPGA and CPLD version may change after FW update.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 07:37:46 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline MisterBiscuit

• Supporter
« Reply #171 on: February 02, 2016, 12:02:44 pm »
But that is their call.

Yes indeed - Saelig offers a discount to all our EEV friends! 

- Alan Lowne (CEO - Saelig Co. Inc.  www.saelig.com)

Hi Alan, could you be more specific? Is the EEV discount better than the 6% offered by TEquipment?

FYI, the 2nd biggest reason why I haven't purchased from Saelig in the past is that your website doesn't show "in stock" status on products. When I need something, I usually need it "now" and prefer not to have to get on the phone with multiple vendors to find out who has it in stock.

Offline saelig

• Contributor
    • Saelig Co. Inc.
« Reply #172 on: February 02, 2016, 03:45:56 pm »

Alan Lowne
Saelig Co. Inc.  CEO

That is great news. Is the discount the same as offered by TEquipment? Do we get a code, or how do we apply the discount when ordering?

Yes, I'll PM you with the code shortly!

Quote from: MisterBiscuit
FYI, the 2nd biggest reason why I haven't purchased from Saelig in the past is that your website doesn't show "in stock" status on products. When I need something, I usually need it "now" and prefer not to have to get on the phone with multiple vendors to find out who has it in stock.

I would love to have a live inventory on our website, but we simply do not have the resources to maintain such a thing just yet. Hopefully in the future! We hope to make up for this by offering items such as our free carrying cases and other discounts for our customers.

Alan Lowne
CEO
Saelig Co. Inc.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 03:59:55 pm by saelig »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #173 on: February 02, 2016, 06:15:19 pm »
Ordering from the US is a no-go for me due to shipping costs and import taxes. Having written that: I usually don't order from webshops which don't have an 'in stock' status because it usually means they don't have it.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline uncle_bob

• Supporter
« Reply #174 on: February 02, 2016, 06:19:10 pm »
Ordering from the US is a no-go for me due to shipping costs and import taxes. Having written that: I usually don't order from webshops which don't have an 'in stock' status because it usually means they don't have it.

Hi

Or it results in a delivery date that is two weeks out and adjusts to stay two weeks out for a couple of months ....

Again, not a knock on any specific distributor. Simply something that has happened in the past.

Bob

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf