Author Topic: The Siglent SDG2042X Thread  (Read 548276 times)

Offline kado

• Regular Contributor
Re: The Siglent SDG2042X Thread
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2015, 02:40:36 pm »
Thanks for the info analogNewbie,

how could i download or upload a file via Telnet?
Put or get seem not to work. Is it possible to install any utility in the filesystem to keep the door open after
Siglent closed the gap with next update?

Karsten

Offline analogNewbie

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2015, 03:48:14 pm »
first you should run a tftp server on pc. (tftp32.exe)
you can use these cmds to upload and download files:
tftp -l localfilename -p  192.168.1.123 
tftp -r remotefilename -g 192.168.1.123

/ # tftp
BusyBox v1.13.2 (2012-04-08 17:28:57 CDT) multi-call binary

Usage: tftp [OPTION]... HOST [PORT]

Transfer a file from/to tftp server

Options:
        -l FILE Local FILE
        -r FILE Remote FILE
        -g      Get file
        -p      Put file

In the future, Siglent might block the telnet interface. So everything is at you own risk. Good luck.

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2015, 05:25:20 pm »
analogNewbie, is reverting the change as simple as moving the backup back to /usr/bin/siglent/config/NSP_system_info.xml?

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2015, 03:01:08 am »
Got a SDG2042X last week and today noticed something that doesn't seem right. I haven't tested all possible combinations of settings for this (only Linear vs Log seem to make a difference) but when generating a linear sweep, the sweep starts at the center frequency, goes up to the end frequency, jumps back to the start frequency and then goes back up to the center frequency (then starts over if trigger source is set to internal, or stays at center frequency if trigger source is manual). If I set the sweep type to log, the sweep starts at the start frequency and ends at the stop frequency like I was expecting. None of the other settings seem to have any affect on this behavior, including using CenterFreq/FreqSpan instead of StartFreq/StopFreq. I am testing by hooking the generator directly to my scope with a coax, generator set to 50Ohm Load and scope set to 50Ohm input. This is the first generator that I've owned that could do sweeps so maybe they all behave this way, but to me it seems like both Linear & Log sweep types should work like the Log sweep does. To make it easier to verify this behavior I set the sweep trigger source to manual (though it does the same if set to internal) and the generator outputs the center frequency when set to Linear, and the start frequency when set to Log, until I manually click the Trigger button to start the sweep. Probably not a big deal just didn't seem quite right to me. Or I just don't know how sweeps are supposed to work (which wouldn't surprise me).

SDG2042X
Hardware Version: 01-07-00-23-00
Software Version: 2.01.01.15R2 (latest to the best of my knowledge)

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2015, 03:11:33 am »
I've reported this as a bug and was told it was accepted and should be fixed in the next firmware version.

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2015, 06:05:31 am »
alank2, awesome, thank you for doing that.

As for your question about sending commands to the SDG2042X. I notice it has ports 23 (telnet) and 111 (rpc) open by default. Using the siglent easywave software I connected to the SDG and watched the data sent back and forth. It looks like easywave first makes a RPC call on tcp 111 to the SDG to open another port. The SDG opens tcp port 703 and then easywave and the SDG communicate on that port so you might be able to connect on that port.

After that I tried rigol's ultra sigma software and told it to connect to the SDG's IP address, launched its SCPI control panel and was able to send and read data from the SDG.

* Connected to: TCPIP::192.168.8.42::INSTR
-> *IDN?
<- (Return Count:54)
Siglent Technologies,SDG2042X,SDG2XB********,2.01.01.15R2

It looks like ultra sigma is also connecting over tcp port 703. Finally I tried the RigolBildschirmkopie software and it was able to connect and allowed me to send remote commands and read data from the SDG as well.

edit: forgot to mention that once I had connected to the SDG once, tcp port 9009 is also now open.
And running netstat on the SDG shows that is it also listening to tcp ports 708 and 709, and udp ports 111 and 699, though these don't appear to be open from the outside.

edit2: Not trying to suggest you need rigol software (also not suggesting RigolBildschirmkopie is made by rigol) to talk to your siglent generator, I just already had those 2 programs installed. I'm sure any software that can send SCPI commands would work.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 06:48:32 am by CustomEngineerer »

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2015, 01:11:28 pm »
I did get it working with some help with Siglent using NI MAX.  I guess I was thinking you could just telnet to an open port and send/receive commands over that, but perhaps it works differently (or is more complicated than that).

Offline mr.os

• Contributor
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2015, 01:50:26 pm »
It is LXI. That uses VXI-11 for LAN communication that is using simple RPCs. It is designed to work with IO libraries (HPAK IO, NI MAX, ...).The specs are all freely available.
I'm building a GPIB-to-LXI interface at the moment so I know that VXI is not really complicated. But I think it is the best to use it with the IO libraries.

Offline gby

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2015, 08:23:23 pm »
Siglent USA just posted on updated FW for the SDG2000x generators.  Pretty good/long list of bugs fixed and a few new features.  Cut and pasted change log below.

2015/11/30 2.01.01.16R2
1. Added phase deviation option in channel tracking mode
2. Optimized the User Interface, including save/recall, arb, etc.
3. Supported long pressing the Output key to switch the load between 50ohm and HiZ
4. Supported to autosave the imported binary file (*.bin).
5. Fixed some bugs
  a) Unexpected change on Phase difference between channels in sweep mode when switching the style between linear and log
  b) Channels not aligned when the frequency of one channel is integral multiple of another
  c) Wrong sweep profile when using manual trigger
  d) Unexpected reset on output when setting illegal parameters
  e) Unstable waveform at the beginning of after enabling the output
  f) Display error when switching between TrueArb and DDS in Arb mode
  g) Frequency deviation display problem in Counter mode
  h) Wrong project name in system information
  i) When pressing the waveform button, the parameter button flashes
  j) Unable to set variable load value without touch screen
  k) Unexpected digit jumping when setting parameters with the knob
  l) Set CH2 to invert and then do a system -> default, the option will return to “normal”, but the signal will stay inverted.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2015, 09:07:15 pm »
Siglent USA just posted on updated FW for the SDG2000x generators.  Pretty good/long list of bugs fixed and a few new features.  Cut and pasted change log below.

2015/11/30 2.01.01.16R2
3. Supported long pressing the Output key to switch the load between 50ohm and HiZ
5. Fixed some bugs
  a) Unexpected change on Phase difference between channels in sweep mode when switching the style between linear and log
  b) Channels not aligned when the frequency of one channel is integral multiple of another
  l) Set CH2 to invert and then do a system -> default, the option will return to “normal”, but the signal will stay inverted.
WARNING  ;)

You might want to check this new FW does not undo analogNewbie's tweak:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/the-siglent-sdg2042x-thread/msg800106/#msg800106

Link to this new FW:
http://www.siglentamerica.com/USA_website_2014/Firmware&Software/firmware/SDG2000X%20Update-16R2.rar

Edit
FW link fixed
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 07:05:43 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2015, 09:18:36 pm »

2015/11/30 2.01.01.16R2
5. Fixed some bugs
WARNING  ;)

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/the-siglent-sdg2042x-thread/msg800106/#msg800106

Link to this new FW:
http://www.siglentamerica.com/USA_website_2014/Firmware&Software/firmware/SDG2000X

I would think they have closed the door - but if not I am impressed. Being able to hack the lower end model is the only reason I'd consider buying one.
VE7FM

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2015, 09:29:27 pm »

2015/11/30 2.01.01.16R2
5. Fixed some bugs
WARNING  ;)

Link to this new FW:
http://www.siglentamerica.com/USA_website_2014/Firmware&Software/firmware/SDG2000X

I would think they have closed the door - but if not I am impressed. Being able to hack the lower end model is the only reason I'd consider buying one.
@ TheSteve
I'm going to get a 2042X in a few weeks as my company demo unit just so I can check this out for you all.  ;)
I plan to do the tweak  ;) and then apply the above FW update and then we'll find out.  >:D
IF the tweak still works I'll install each FW update as they are released and report any undesirable changes here.

Edit
Please Siglent don't send me one with FW 16.R2 installed.
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 09:43:48 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2015, 10:28:39 pm »
@ TheSteve
I'm going to get a 2042X in a few weeks as my company demo unit just so I can check this out for you all.  ;)
I plan to do the tweak  ;) and then apply the above FW update and then we'll find out.  >:D
IF the tweak still works I'll install each FW update as they are released and report any undesirable changes here.

Edit

Sounds good - although if they want to stop the hack I suspect they will simply disable telnet access or add a username/password combo instead of worrying about how the licensing actually functions. So while yours may continue to work it may not be possible to hack new units. So after each update please verify if you still have telnet access as well.
VE7FM

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2015, 10:51:44 pm »
@ TheSteve

Edit

Sounds good - although if they want to stop the hack I suspect they will simply disable telnet access or add a username/password combo instead of worrying about how the licensing actually functions. So while yours may continue to work it may not be possible to hack new units. So after each update please verify if you still have telnet access as well.
Sure will, that's the plan.
40 MHz is a big step from the demo SDG1010 I have now and as I don't have a personal need for more BW  if my new demo SDG2042X gets locked @ 40MHz I won't really care.

I'll probably be PM'ing some of you to hold my hand while doing this stuff as possibly I'll need some step by step guidance.  :palm:

Point me to some instructable on this, somebody please.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2015, 12:09:35 am »
Has anyone tried using one of these with an external 10M frequency standard?  I assume that improves frequency accuracy and perhaps stability, but what about firmware?  Is it reliable when using an external reference?  What's the extref input impedance and expected level (AC sine, DC sine, DC square)?

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2015, 12:26:07 am »
Using a 10 MHz reference should always improve its frequency accuracy - however it will often increase phase noise and/or spurs unless your reference is extremely clean.
VE7FM

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2015, 03:16:07 am »
This firmware release (16R2) is excellent.  They addressed all the bugs I reported to them.  I am impressed.

It now copies BIN files from USB to the internal memory as well so you can build a BIN arbitrary wave as well.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 03:26:14 am by alank2 »

Offline smgvbest

• Supporter
    • Kilbourne Astronomics
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2015, 03:19:01 am »
Talkng about external references
I can say I did hook up to my GPSDO and i had every frequency of a basic sine way from 1Hz to 120Mhz spot on.
Now I must say though even without it my SDG2122X was amazingly close.  at 10Mhz I have 10,000,000.045 on read on the HP53131
with the GPSDO of course is was 10000000.003 on the HP53131 using Gerry's 10Mhz oven reference.

At least as far as sine wave accuracy I'm very happy.  more than I need even without the GPSDO hooked up.
I was also happy with the Vrms accuracy a 1Vrms p-p read .99982 on the 34401A set for VAC 6.5Digit Slow. 

Sandra
(Yes, I am a Woman :p )

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2015, 07:09:14 am »

2015/11/30 2.01.01.16R2
5. Fixed some bugs
WARNING  ;)

Link to this new FW:

If they have learned anything about Rigol marketing tricks (originally with first DS1000E perhaps undesigned but today "designed") they do not close..... but perhaps (I will recommend) they randomly do some small changes to this "feature" so that hobbyists are continuing stay wakeup... and then some mysterious knowledge leaks if peoples do not find trick...
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline googolplex1

« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2015, 09:49:55 am »

2015/11/30 2.01.01.16R2
5. Fixed some bugs
WARNING  ;)

Link to this new FW:

If they have learned anything about Rigol marketing tricks (originally with first DS1000E perhaps undesigned but today "designed") they do not close..... but perhaps (I will recommend) they randomly do some small changes to this "feature" so that hobbyists are continuing stay wakeup... and then some mysterious knowledge leaks if peoples do not find trick...

I just updated to 16R2 and it hasn't undone the tweak  :D
Telnet acces is still there and analogNewbie's method still works as far as I can tell...

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2015, 10:19:00 am »
I just updated to 16R2 and it hasn't undone the tweak  :D
Telnet acces is still there and analogNewbie's method still works as far as I can tell...
Welcome to the forum.

That is good news.  ;)
Of course I'll still get a unit to play with.

Thanks for confirming this.  :-+
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline analogNewbie

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2015, 11:20:02 am »
Don't worry about the firmware update.  You know what I mean. :)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
Re: How do I install new firmware?
« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2015, 07:55:49 pm »
I downloaded the 17DEC2015, v2.01.01.16R2 firmware update.  It downloaded as a .rar file.

I looked in the manual and the only guidance I could find for installing it is a cryptic note in the section on utility functions that the "Firmware Update" function would "Update the firmware by the U-disk".

Does this mean that I should copy the .rar file to a USB flash drive, insert the drive into the signal generator, then invoke the Firmware Update function?
No.

You'll need a .rar unpacker, rar is a type of zipped (compressed) file.
Unpacked there is usually 3 files, the FW update, instructions and a changelog.

To check if your system already has an rar unpacker just double click on the rar FW update file.

A free selection of rar unpackers can be found here:
https://www.google.co.nz/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=rar+file+extractor+free+download+for+windows+7

Once you have an unpacker installed just double click on the rar file and the program will unpack the package.

Shift the FW to your USB stick and update your AWG.

Edit
OK Bill you've worked it out.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 07:58:08 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline smgvbest

• Supporter
    • Kilbourne Astronomics
« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2015, 10:13:38 pm »
note for those who missed it there are 2 update files in the file.
one is a *.ADS file which is the firmware update
the other is a *.CFG file
first pass through I missed this but then read the instructions again
Just in case anyone did the same thing
kinda hope i'm not the only one
Sandra
(Yes, I am a Woman :p )

Offline gby

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2015, 02:08:06 pm »
After doing the update I noticed that some (all) of my settings had changed.  Specifically, right after the 16R2 .ADS download I had the beep for each button push on whereas my setup had been Beep off.  After I downloaded the .CFG file included with the 16R2 update and power cycled I hit the Store/Recall button, selected State File Type, and loaded the .XML state file I had saved many days before this upgrade.  The unit then became unresponsive to all button pushes.  Fortunately a power cycle got me back to normal.

I did store a new .XML state file and did successfully load it back in.

So, I conclude that you should not try to load any .XML State files that were saved with FW before this version. Something in the new FW breaks compatibility with old .XML State files enough to cause the instrument to crash.

I will admit that this is the very first and only time I ever saw the instrument crash so I am not that worried about this.  Just sharing so others don't stumble on the same issue and have a moment of panic.

Edit 1/3/16:  I did report this bug to the Siglent team to fix.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 09:09:07 pm by gby »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf