Author Topic: The Siglent SDG2042X Thread  (Read 550337 times)

Offline Amazing

• Regular Contributor
Re: The Siglent SDG2042X Thread
« Reply #725 on: May 12, 2017, 11:31:46 am »
Thanks for the links, Tautech.  I read through the updated manual and change log and will be updating soon. 

Unfortunately it looks like the unit cannot produce the waveform that I want.  if the channel combining feature had a multiply (VCA) operation then I think I could do it.

Still a great little unit though.

...make sure you power cycle the unit after fw update... just in case...

Will do.  Sorry to hear about your troubles, I hope you get that worked out.  There should be an initial factory programming procedure that you can follow, assuming you can get hold of it.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #726 on: May 12, 2017, 12:59:25 pm »
Thanks for the links, Tautech.  I read through the updated manual and change log and will be updating soon. 

Unfortunately it looks like the unit cannot produce the waveform that I want.  if the channel combining feature had a multiply (VCA) operation then I think I could do it.

Still a great little unit though.

...make sure you power cycle the unit after fw update... just in case...
Will do.  Sorry to hear about your troubles, I hope you get that worked out.  There should be an initial factory programming procedure that you can follow, assuming you can get hold of it.
Occasionally we hear about update problems but I never have them but I install updates on new units that are straight out of the box and set to factory defaults. I have started a dialogue with Siglent about this suggesting that all update instructions state FW updates be performed after the unit has been restored to factory default settings.
I've had NO acknowledgement that this might be the case for the zero update problems I have seen over several hundreds of updates that I have installed so without confirmation that I might be on o something the best advice I can give is to apply factory defaults before updating FW.
Until otherwise is advised or instructed in update instructions as I have asked Siglent to do, set the unit to factory defaults before updating FW to be very sure of extremely low risk of any update problem.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline pigrew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #727 on: May 13, 2017, 08:13:43 pm »
I recently received my "Amazon Warehouse Deal" SDG2042X. Unfortunately, it has a problem starting up.

Often, it displays a black screen when turned on. However, if I turn off,  wait about one second, and then turn it back on, it boots properly. If the wait time is too short or too long, it will remain on a black screen.

It was shipped with firmware 22, and has been upgraded to firmware 23. Otherwise, the unit functions normally. Rebooting works properly; the issue is only triggered when the power is cut.

My best guess is that there is a soldering issue of a decoupling capacitor somewhere.

If I break the warranty seal, is the warranty voided?

EDIT: Also, the unit came with a cal cert whole serial number did not match the unit delivered. Do other's calibration certificates have the proper generator serial number? Also, it didn't list the frequency reference used in the calibration, only a multimeter and a power meter.

Really shaky video of the unit not starting up.

(most boring video on YouTube; I must invest in a cellphone tripod mount.)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 08:30:15 pm by pigrew »

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #728 on: May 13, 2017, 09:05:23 pm »
I recently received my "Amazon Warehouse Deal" SDG2042X. Unfortunately, it has a problem starting up.

Often, it displays a black screen when turned on. However, if I turn off,  wait about one second, and then turn it back on, it boots properly. If the wait time is too short or too long, it will remain on a black screen.

It was shipped with firmware 22, and has been upgraded to firmware 23. Otherwise, the unit functions normally. Rebooting works properly; the issue is only triggered when the power is cut.

My best guess is that there is a soldering issue of a decoupling capacitor somewhere.

If I break the warranty seal, is the warranty voided?

EDIT: Also, the unit came with a cal cert whole serial number did not match the unit delivered. Do other's calibration certificates have the proper generator serial number? Also, it didn't list the frequency reference used in the calibration, only a multimeter and a power meter.
Why does this stuff always come up on the weekend.  :rant:
No there's some problem with this unit, and I'll point tech support to this post but it'll be ~30 hrs before I get a reply.

Regarding the Cal cert........can I ask if the factory box had previously been opened ?
2 layers of tape closing the box is the giveaway.
I'm just thinking if someone opened some boxes of these and mixed up the manual packs as they enclose the Cal cert, little info like this can determine if it happened at the factory or later.

Anyways, it's faulty IMO and need be replaced so don't open it please. Continue using it until the factory recommendation comes through.

Thanks for pointing this out.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline pigrew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #729 on: May 13, 2017, 09:12:41 pm »

Regarding the Cal cert........can I ask if the factory box had previously been opened ?
I'm just thinking if someone opened some boxes of these and mixed up the manual packs as they enclose the Cal cert, little info like this can determine if it happened at the factory or later.

Anyways, it's faulty IMO and need be replaced so don't open it please. Continue using it until the factory recommendation comes through.

I purchased it "used" from Amazon. Someone else must have encountered the problem and returned it, and then Amazon thought it looked ok and resold it to me at a discount. It did not come in its original box, however otherwise it appeared new, with the screen protector still on it, in a heavy duty clear bag with silica gel, packed with a BNC cable and a power cable. The certificate it shipped is dated December 11 2016. Perhaps Amazon could have mixed them up? I don't know.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #730 on: May 13, 2017, 09:35:16 pm »

I purchased it "used" from Amazon. Someone else must have encountered the problem and returned it, and then Amazon thought it looked ok and resold it to me at a discount. It did not come in its original box, however otherwise it appeared new, with the screen protector still on it, in a heavy duty clear bag with silica gel, packed with a BNC cable and a power cable. The certificate it shipped is dated December 11 2016. Perhaps Amazon could have mixed them up? I don't know.
Cool, making more sense now. It would seem that Amazon staff did not recognise the fault, yep they probably wouldn't know any better.
Missing USB cable too ?
Manual and CD present ?

I've sent mail to the factory and US GM, they'll sort it for you.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline EmbeddedTec

« Reply #731 on: May 24, 2017, 12:53:43 pm »
I just received my second SDG2042X today.
Overall a very nice device, but Siglent seems to have a little quality assurance problem at the moment.

Maybe I accidentally ordered a unit for inverted signals only     :-DD

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #732 on: May 24, 2017, 01:04:28 pm »
I just received my second SDG2042X today.
Overall a very nice device, but Siglent seems to have a little quality assurance problem at the moment.

Maybe I accidentally ordered a unit for inverted signals only     :-DD

They've obviously sent you a device that was meant for Australia.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Siglent America

« Reply #733 on: May 26, 2017, 02:26:28 pm »
Actually, we changed the orientation of the rubber feet (for what reason I don't know) so you're two units must have come from different production batches.
But I did like the Australian comment.....

Offline flash2b

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #734 on: May 26, 2017, 03:34:47 pm »
My unit has same orientation of the rubber feed as the new unit shown above (as well as my Rigol DP832A). My unit is now about 6 month old.

Swap the old unit feed left to right an vice versa and you have soved it.

Online pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #735 on: May 26, 2017, 04:39:15 pm »
The rubber feet that come out indented should be on the bottom. That's why they are called feet in the first place.

It must be a mistake in the factory.

Don't think the answer from Siglent above is correct. Have you checked with the factory, or did you just write that it is a change in production? Mistake in production you mean :)

Siglent America

« Reply #736 on: May 26, 2017, 04:54:58 pm »
My answer was correct.

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #737 on: May 26, 2017, 07:03:05 pm »
Most product photos show the indents on the bottom and the raised tabs (that lock into the indents) on the top.

However, the clearance of the bale (when it is tucked under the chassis) will be slightly greater if the raised tabs are on the bottom, otherwise the bale might be resting on the bench rather than having some clearance and allowing the chassis to rest on the rubber bumper feet with the additional clearance given by the raised tabs.  Probably no big deal, one way or the other, just an observation.  Might also depend on some unit to unit manufacturing variances.

One other micro adjustment consideration is that if the front bumpers are not fully extended (last mm or so) before they are tightened down with the torx screws, the rotating/depress knob might not be protected from hitting the bench if chassis is placed face down on the bench.  Even when the bumpers are fully extended the clearance of the rotating/depress knob is very small.  Given the small clearance of the rotating/depress knob it might be better not to place the chassis face down.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 07:06:18 pm by Electro Fan »

Online pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #738 on: May 26, 2017, 07:50:59 pm »
So in the new design, the feet are no longer feet. They are heads instead of feeds.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #739 on: May 26, 2017, 07:59:25 pm »
So in the new design, the feet are no longer feet. They are heads instead of feeds.
We discussed this in some thread a while back, the feet/bumpers can be flipped but IIRC there was a small mod required to have the bumpers fit the case nice and snug in the flipped orientation.

The factory may have changed the rubber casting slightly to allow them to be flipped......this I haven't physically checked.

Edit
Discussion of the rubber feet:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-new-bench-dmm-sdm3055/msg1016306/#msg1016306

The mod required:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-new-bench-dmm-sdm3055/msg1023105/#msg1023105
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 10:27:32 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #740 on: May 27, 2017, 01:27:21 am »
We discussed this in some thread a while back, the feet/bumpers can be flipped but IIRC there was a small mod required to have the bumpers fit the case nice and snug in the flipped orientation.

The factory may have changed the rubber casting slightly to allow them to be flipped......this I haven't physically checked.

Edit
Discussion of the rubber feet:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-new-bench-dmm-sdm3055/msg1016306/#msg1016306

The mod required:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-new-bench-dmm-sdm3055/msg1023105/#msg1023105

---

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-new-bench-dmm-sdm3055/msg1074803/#msg1074803

- the plastic horns are upside down comparing to my SDG2042X, therefore it was impossible to stack these on top of each other (I resolved by flipping the horns upside down on SDG2042X, but one of the screw nuts just falled inside the casing.

.... presumably if there are nuts that secure the screws for the rubber feet/bumpers those nuts would be adhered to the inside of the chassis so they couldn't fall loose while flipping or adjusting the rubber feet/bumper (and create a short inside the chassis), right?  i.e., those nuts are captive, correct? 

(If the nuts aren't captive it wouldn't make sense to suggest that users should flip the bumpers around without pointing out the potential for causing nuts to fall loose in the chassis).

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #741 on: May 27, 2017, 01:49:12 am »

.... presumably if there are nuts that secure the screws for the rubber feet/bumpers those nuts would be adhered to the inside of the chassis so they couldn't fall loose while flipping or adjusting the rubber feet/bumper (and create a short inside the chassis), right?  i.e., those nuts are captive, correct? 

(If the nuts aren't captive it wouldn't make sense to suggest that users should flip the bumpers around without pointing out the potential for causing nuts to fall loose in the chassis).
It's a while since I had those feet/bumpers off and IIRC the nuts are captured in the outer cover.
I wanted to see if previous models to X series could be retrofitted with the X feet but older models use different feet and a different fixing scheme.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Spaghetti_142

« Reply #742 on: May 28, 2017, 04:49:07 am »
Hi Gaurav,
My question I have for you is there or do you have access to the 178R5 fimware or earlier, so I can hack mine to 120Mhz. If you have a copy or link please send it to me via email an attachment. I would greatly appreciate if you can help in anyway. I bought mine just a couple months to late.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #743 on: May 28, 2017, 05:44:54 am »
Hi Gaurav,
My question I have for you is there or do you have access to the 178R5 fimware or earlier,

It (1.17R5)  is available from Siglent official download side. Only need read and look bit more than 5 seconds..

http://siglenteu.com/gjjrj.aspx?id=15&page=4

Also there is even earlier versions

Also here is 17R5

« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 05:49:10 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline avionicpl

« Reply #744 on: May 31, 2017, 01:35:09 pm »
Hello everyone!  :D

My new SDG2042X had another "lock". Every time I enable DHCP, it shows all zeros in IP, mask, gateway (i.e. 0.0.0.0). Connection with the LAN shows "network connected, problem" in Windows 7 x64. So I thought I cannot telnet it anyway.

New day came with new idea. I switched to Ubuntu and created DHCP on laptop (SDG2042X had DHCP disabled). Manual IP entry for SDG2042X allowed me to telnet it without further problems (many thanks to "eevblog" 17R5  :-+). After upgrade and update, enabling DHCP from SDG2042X still does not work though...

...but I don't need it anymore. Thank you ALL :) for all the knowledge! :clap:

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #745 on: May 31, 2017, 07:33:37 pm »
I have the same problem.  I have to try DHCP multiple times and then the device finally gets an IP address.

Offline vk2amv

• Supporter
« Reply #746 on: June 06, 2017, 10:56:43 am »
many thanks to "eevblog" 17R5

Did your generator have a newer firmware and you downgraded to 17R5 for the hack?

I plan to pull the trigger on a SDG2042X next week from Trio Test & Measurement in Sydney.

I also plan to do the 120Mhz hack/upgrade.
Honestly I am not interested in buying the Siglent unless I can hack it. (Also planning on buying the Siglent SSA3021X Spectrum Analyzer in July, and if I could not hack that I would not buy it at all either)

I just want to double and triple check that even if the unit I buy comes with the latest firmware I can still downgrade it to do the hack and then re-upgrade as pervious people have done?

Thanks
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise how often they burst into flames.

Offline Safar

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #747 on: June 13, 2017, 11:57:51 am »
Connection with the LAN shows "network connected, problem" in Windows 7 x64. So I thought I cannot telnet it anyway.

Sorry for stupid question, but what is your network topology? How you connect Gen? Is DHCP server (service) exist? What in DHCP server logs?

If you connect Gen directly to Win PC then there no DHCP server in segment by default. Gen have no server, client only. You should set addresses manually in Gen and PC in one subnet.

192.168.1.2/255.255.255.0 and 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0 for example.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 12:05:42 pm by Safar »

The following users thanked this post: avionicpl

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #748 on: June 15, 2017, 03:29:37 am »
"My new SDG2042X had another "lock". Every time I enable DHCP"

Turn off wait a min and turn on, on the boot up process they will ask your router DHCP for a IP, if you just turn DHCP nothing will happen

The following users thanked this post: avionicpl

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #749 on: June 15, 2017, 10:38:18 am »
Yep.  You will be fine to use the downgrade firmware and bump it up higher.  Than upgrade the firmware to the latest version. 

You will be happy with this unit.  It's excellent for the money. Siglent really hit a home run with this one.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf