Author Topic: The Siglent SDG2042X Thread  (Read 548194 times)

Offline smgvbest

• Supporter
    • Kilbourne Astronomics
Re: The Siglent SDG2042X Thread
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2015, 06:51:06 pm »
That's interesting.
I would say if you are so inclined to contact Siglent and let them know of that bug.  They seem to be very responsive so maybe next fix they would have that taken care of.
Sandra
(Yes, I am a Woman :p )

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2015, 08:18:57 pm »
That's interesting.
I would say if you are so inclined to contact Siglent and let them know of that bug.  They seem to be very responsive so maybe next fix they would have that taken care of.
I do wonder if user settings would be best saved before a FW update for any brand of equipment.  :-\

Although they've probably seen analogNewbie's tweak, I wouldn't point them directly to this thread.
No point rubbing their nose in it.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline smgvbest

• Supporter
    • Kilbourne Astronomics
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2015, 09:11:08 pm »
I do wonder if user settings would be best saved before a FW update for any brand of equipment.  :-\

Although they've probably seen analogNewbie's tweak, I wouldn't point them directly to this thread.
As I read the comment it was a bug restoring saved settings after a firmware update that froze the SDG,and to contact Siglent directly to report a bug.  Not rubbing anyones nose, just suggesting a ligament bug be reported.   Unless I read the bug wrong???
Sandra

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2015, 09:18:55 pm »

As I read the comment it was a bug restoring saved settings after a firmware update that froze the SDG,and to contact Siglent directly to report a bug.  Not rubbing anyones nose, just suggesting a ligament bug be reported.   Unless I read the bug wrong???
Not at all smgvbest.

We'll report it but purposely not point to this thread.   ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline smgvbest

• Supporter
    • Kilbourne Astronomics
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2015, 10:33:29 pm »
smgvbest.

We'll report it but purposely not point to this thread.   ;)

I'm with you now ;)
Sandra

Offline Samogon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2015, 09:23:40 pm »
first you should run a tftp server on pc. (tftp32.exe)
you can use these cmds to upload and download files:
tftp -l localfilename -p  192.168.1.123 
tftp -r remotefilename -g 192.168.1.123

/ # tftp
BusyBox v1.13.2 (2012-04-08 17:28:57 CDT) multi-call binary

Usage: tftp [OPTION]... HOST [PORT]

Transfer a file from/to tftp server

Options:
        -l FILE Local FILE
        -r FILE Remote FILE
        -g      Get file
        -p      Put file

In the future, Siglent might block the telnet interface. So everything is at you own risk. Good luck.

BTW it has tftpd server installed, so you can start it as foreground service
Code: [Select]
udpsvd -vE 0.0.0.0 69 tftpd or tweak it as inetd service.
Skipping linuxoinds here :) If you have win vista and later you can enable feature tftp client in control panel and transfer files back and force to make backups, etc
OS aslo have VI editor installed so you can edit files on the box.
And i have my SDG2042X now SDG2122X :) Siglent did it on purpose.  :-+
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 09:52:43 pm by Samogon »

Offline artelse

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #81 on: December 24, 2015, 06:52:48 pm »
The link to the 16R2 firmware update was dead. Here is a working one:

http://www.siglentamerica.com/prodcut-gjjrj.aspx?id=1364&tid=16&T=2

Offline nugglix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #82 on: December 25, 2015, 01:41:45 pm »
Hi Ho!

Seems that the frequency counter leaks a 10 MHz signal to it's input.

I was looking at a spectrum and noticed a 10 MHz signal where none should be.
See attached screen-dumps.

Oscilloscope is attached to a 2 winding coil attached to the inductor of the local oscillator.
In parallel the probes of the counter.
Oscilloscope set to HighZ using a 10x probe.

When I switch the circuit off the 10 MHz signal persists.
When I remove the probes of the counter the 10 MHz signal is gone.

Can someone please
  a) confirm that
or
  b) tell me that I measured bullshit   ;)

Center frequency in the following pictures is 10.7 MHz.

Cheers
  Guido

Offline kado

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #83 on: December 27, 2015, 04:28:19 pm »
Hi all,

need help:

after poking around with Telnet on my SDG2042X i have lost this file:

/usr/bin/siglent/config/NSP_config_upgrade_info.xml  that means my file now has only 64 Bytes until 253 before!

Could somebody mail me this file from his/her device?

Any help is apreciated.

thanks,
Karsten

Offline analogNewbie

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2015, 02:43:01 am »
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<nsp_upgrade_info_root>
   <device>
      <upgrade_static_id>10600</upgrade_static_id>
      <upgrade_start_id>10600</upgrade_start_id>
      <upgrade_end_id>10700</upgrade_end_id>
   </device>
</nsp_upgrade_info_root>   

Offline billfernandezTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #85 on: December 28, 2015, 04:10:47 am »

You seem to be correct.  I connected the signal generator's counter input directly to the input of my scope with a BNC cable and took the two screen shots below.  It looks like a 10MHz sinewave riding atop a 100MHz sinewave.

Then I added a 50Ohm shunt at the scope's input and took the third screen shot, which shows only a 10MHz anomaly.

Offline nugglix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #86 on: December 28, 2015, 09:45:18 am »
Hi!

You seem to be correct.  I connected the signal generator's counter input directly to the input of my scope with a BNC cable and took the two screen shots below.  It looks like a 10MHz sinewave riding atop a 100MHz sinewave.

Thanks for testing.

Looks like we've another entry for the bug list.

Cheers
  Guido

Offline jackenhack

• Contributor
    • Jackenhack Blog
« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2015, 09:53:03 am »
Talkng about external references
I can say I did hook up to my GPSDO and i had every frequency of a basic sine way from 1Hz to 120Mhz spot on.
Now I must say though even without it my SDG2122X was amazingly close.  at 10Mhz I have 10,000,000.045 on read on the HP53131
with the GPSDO of course is was 10000000.003 on the HP53131 using Gerry's 10Mhz oven reference.

At least as far as sine wave accuracy I'm very happy.  more than I need even without the GPSDO hooked up.
I was also happy with the Vrms accuracy a 1Vrms p-p read .99982 on the 34401A set for VAC 6.5Digit Slow.

Yep, did the same thing. Hooked up my Trimble GPSDO and it's spot on. Very impressed with it's performance without a reference. Mine was 2.1 Hz out at 10MHz and was very stable. I do did get a slightly more jittery signal out at higher frequencies, but that went away when I used a good quality 50 ohm terminator.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 10:39:50 pm by jackenhack »

Offline dougg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2015, 08:34:11 pm »
Hi Ho!

I was looking at a spectrum and noticed a 10 MHz signal where none should be.
See attached screen-dumps.

I used my SDG2kX to generate a 100 MHz sine wave at 100 mV rms into 50 ohms. In the first attachment
that is fed into a DSA815 and only shows a harmonic at 200 MHz. In the second attachment I placed
a T attachment on the output of the SDG2kX and fed one side to the DSA815 and the other side back
to the counter on the SDG2kX (its on the back). Wow, look at all those remnants.

The log scale for frequencies (x axis) shows just how much is being generated. It seems as
though the counter is acting as a mixer of its internal 10 MHz reference and the 100 MHz being
generated by the SDG2kX. If I zoom in one of those peak frequencies, then they are pretty well exact
multiples of 10 and/or 100 MHz.

BTW the SDG2kX counter correctly reported 100 MHz as the frequency. Reporting the "frequency
deviation" as 900,000 ppm seems a bit strange, as though Siglent assume  the counter will only
be used to measure 10 MHz from another source (e.g. the DSA815 has a 10 MHz out and it
showed ~ 0.1 ppm .)

Offline nugglix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #89 on: December 29, 2015, 10:00:39 am »
Hi!

I used my SDG2kX to generate a 100 MHz sine wave at 100 mV rms into 50 ohms. In the first attachment
that is fed into a DSA815 and only shows a harmonic at 200 MHz. In the second attachment I placed
a T attachment on the output of the SDG2kX and fed one side to the DSA815 and the other side back
to the counter on the SDG2kX (its on the back). Wow, look at all those remnants.

Thanks for the confirmation.

So Siglent gave us a real signal generator, signals out of every opening...
I think that's the price we pay for the price. :)

BTW the SDG2kX counter correctly reported 100 MHz as the frequency. Reporting the "frequency
deviation" as 900,000 ppm seems a bit strange, as though Siglent assume  the counter will only
be used to measure 10 MHz from another source (e.g. the DSA815 has a 10 MHz out and it
showed ~ 0.1 ppm .)

Did you notice that the reference frequency can be adjusted?
I used it to check the stability of an oscillator. Dialed in the target frequency and watched the
deviation move around. So it's not only for 10 MHz ;)

Thanks again for the test. I don't have a SA (yet!).

Cheers
  Guido

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90 on: December 29, 2015, 01:30:09 pm »
I've asked Siglent for statistics in the frequency counter (min, max, avg) and/or longer gate times and they said they would release it in a newer firmware at some point as well.

Siglent America

« Reply #91 on: December 30, 2015, 02:53:38 pm »
"Seems that the frequency counter leaks a 10 MHz signal to it's input."

We did identify a cross-talk issue that is causing this leakage to the frequency counter port. The factory tells me they are working on the problem.

Thanks for your comments.

Offline nugglix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #92 on: December 30, 2015, 07:39:33 pm »
We did identify a cross-talk issue that is causing this leakage to the frequency counter port. The factory tells me they are working on the problem.

Thanks for the info.

Would the usage of an external 10 MHz clock would avoid this issue?
Just to have a workaround.

Thanks again for the fast response!

Cheers
  Guido

Siglent America

« Reply #93 on: December 30, 2015, 09:31:58 pm »
Would the usage of an external 10 MHz clock would avoid this issue?

Hi Guido.

I'm not sure but it couldn't hurt anything to try it. 
Of course, the counter still functions but if the clock leakage is interfering with your circuit-under-test then that doesn't help you at this point, I know.

Regards,
Steve

Offline gby

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #94 on: January 03, 2016, 10:20:57 pm »
DDS AWG Square Rise Time 2x Faster Than Built In Square Rise Time

I was working with an arbitrary waveform that has 10 cycles per period so that I could try higher output square wave frequencies on my SDG2042X generator.  In looking at the Arbitrary Wave square output I note that the rise time is much faster than when using the built in Square wave shape.  See the attached scope captures.

Test setup is generator direct to scope with 50 Ohm BNC cable with the scope set to 50 Ohm termination.  The scope is an old (circa 1992) Tek TDS-420A which is specified with 200 MHz/1.75 nSec rise time bandwidth.  So, these measurements are a little slow compared to actual.

The first one shows the built in square wave at 10 MHz.  Measured rise time is just under 9 nSec.  Using RSS to remove the scope 1.75 nSec risetime and the actual is probably more like 8.7 nSec.  My memory of testing with a different 1 GHz bandwidth scope was more like 8.4 nSec.  All good and as expected.  The instrument's data sheet lists 9 nSec max which matches well.

The second scope picture shows the arbitrary square wave shape running in DDS Arb Mode at the same 10 MHz.  Now the rise time is 4.6 nSec and again using RSS to remove the scope 1.75 nSec rise the actual is probably 4.3 nSec or about 2x faster.  Also note this waveform has a little ringing and slight undershoot before settling.

The third scope picture shows the arbitrary square wave shape running in TrueArb Arb Mode at 1.5 MHz.  Now the rise time is 8.8 nSec and again using RSS to remove the scope 1.75 nSec rise the actual is probably 8.6 nSec.  Also note this waveform has no ringing and settles in fine like the built in square.  I would say it is the same as the built in square mode except it is consistently slightly faster (8.8 for True Arb versus 9.0 for built in square).

My theory on why these results are different is that the 300 MHz update A/D 4x linear interpolator is turned on for the built in square and TrueArb modes but is not turned on for the DDS arbitrary wave.  With 4x linear interpolation the DAC output will have a linear slope with duration of 4/1.2GHz = 1/300MHz = 3.33 nSec while without the linear interpolation method turned on the DAC will try to output a step at the edge.

The output of the DAC is followed by a high order filter.  With a 3.33 nSec linear slope at the edge the output looks good with no ringing.  With a perfect step you can better see the dynamics of the filter.

Unfortunately I can not explain why the built in square and the TrueArb square are not exactly identical.  Perhaps the lower frequency of the TrueArb measurement?

The net, net of this observation is that the usable upper frequency for DDS arbitrary square waveforms is higher than for the built in one by about 2x in frequency. 

In my opinion the DAC interpolator should be on for arbitrary waves like it is for built in waves.  However, for the TrueArb and for built in square modes I would have thought it would be best to be off.  Perhaps better yet, the instrument should have a setting to turn the DAC linear interpolation mode on and off??

What do others think??

Siglent, can you help explain this behavior?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 10:26:11 pm by gby »

Offline Hagrid

• Contributor
« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2016, 01:14:33 am »
Hello, I got my SDG2042X today and really like it. Although the most stuff is self explaining I have some questions.
Using the EasyWave software I created a some waveforms to play around. Loading them to the signal generator almost without problems. But I can't delete waveforms once I saved them (solved: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/the-siglent-sdg2042x-thread/msg838169/#msg838169). I went into "Stored Waveforms", put the cursor on a waveform and pushed the delete button. I tells me that the file is deleted, but is still there and can be loaded. Am I doing something wrong?
The other part is about testing the device. I have a 20Mhz Hameg oscilloscope which I really like too. It is okay for the most stuff I am working on. However it is not really usefull if I want to test the signal generator completely. The risetime of my scope is 17.5ns. Is there any way for me to test how good my new signal generator meets it specs? An idea of mine was to connect a ceramic cap after a 1k resistor and a germanium diode to test the Voltage. I set the generator to 40MHz Sine and 4V(High). Using a multimeter to measure the voltage across the cap I measure 2.87V. I guess this method isn't really representetive is it?
The second method I tried was to use the internal counter of the SDG2042X. The datasheet says it is useable from 100/200mVrms.
I generated a sin(5*x) waveform in EasyWave to get a frequency of up to 100Mhz in arb (DDS) mode. At 100MHz the readings started to getting bad below 87mVpp. At 15MHz the readings of the counter do have the same quality at about 74mVpp. At 250kHz it is about 65mVpp. So it seems that the bandwith of the generator is fine :). What do you think of my methods to check the bandwith and can someone help me getting rid of the saved waveforms I can't delete?

Greetings, Hagrid
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 01:02:20 pm by Hagrid »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2016, 03:18:24 am »
...I can't delete waveforms once I saved them. I went into "Stored Waveforms", put the cursor on a waveform and pushed the delete button. I tells me that the file is deleted, but is still there and can be loaded. Am I doing something wrong?

Hagrid:  Deleting works for me so I'm not sure what to say.  I press the STORE/RECALL button, select a file, press DELETE, then after the warning notice is shown I press ACCEPT.  Is that what you're doing?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2016, 03:28:54 am »
...s there any way for me to test how good my new signal generator meets it specs?

Generally you have to have better equipment than the device you are testing, and your equipment has to be calibrated, to be able to see if a device meets its specs.

An idea of mine was to connect a ceramic cap after a 1k resistor and a germanium diode to test the Voltage. I set the generator to 40MHz Sine and 4V(High). Using a multimeter to measure the voltage across the cap I measure 2.87V. I guess this method isn't really representetive is it?

By "4V(High)" I assume you mean that the generator was set to output "4Vpp" into a "High Impedance".  If your 1K resistor is enough to put it into the range that Siglent considers "high" impedance, and if your test setup behaves well at 40MHz, then I would expect an accurate DMM to read about 2.83VDC (4 divided by 2 times .707).

Oh, but wait, that doesn't make sense.  Since the capacitor can only charge and there's no discharge path, then it would build up to the peak voltage minus the forward voltage drop of the diode.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 06:26:37 am by billfernandez »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2016, 04:37:13 am »
Hello, I got my SDG2042X today and really like it. Although the most stuff is self explaining I have some questions.

I have a 20Mhz Hameg oscilloscope which I really like too. It is okay for the most stuff I am working on. However it is not really usefull if I want to test the signal generator completely. The risetime of my scope is 17.5ns. Is there any way for me to test how good my new signal generator meets it specs?
Did it not come with an official Cal cert?
What's the problem, do you not trust it meets advertised specs?

Know that it will and enjoy.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Hagrid

• Contributor
« Reply #99 on: January 06, 2016, 12:55:07 pm »
Hagrid:  Deleting works for me so I'm not sure what to say.  I press the STORE/RECALL button, select a file, press DELETE, then after the warning notice is shown I press ACCEPT.  Is that what you're doing?

(solved: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/the-siglent-sdg2042x-thread/msg838169/#msg838169)

This doesn't work for me either. The first way I tried it:
Parameter-->Arb Type-->Stored Waveforms--> Trying to delete a file -->No success.
The way you told me:
Store Racall-->Trying to delete a file --> No success.

They are all saved under Local(C:). All selftests are completely OK.
The waveforms are still displayed. I restarted the unit after deleting them and still see them in the list and can load them.
I tried to delete a file from a connected flash drive. This does not work either. I made a video and uploadet it.
Here is the link: http://cloud.directupload.net/4Cqx

@billfernandez: No I mean a 8Vpp Signal so the high value is 4V.
@tautech: Yes I came with a certificate but I really like to test stuff myself if I can. I trust them too. However I love to search for bugs in calculators or see how far I can push some things  ;D.

Greetings, Hagrid
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 01:02:43 pm by Hagrid »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf