Author Topic: Agilent DSOX2024 Won't Boot  (Read 34297 times)

Offline afhox

Re: Agilent DSOX2024 Won't Boot
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2017, 03:39:54 pm »
About 2 weeks ago my DSOX 3034A presented the same boot problem as Alan described.
Contacted Keysight local center and sent my unit for repair under warranty. Got it back today with fresh cal and everything looks fine. Good service by Keysight.

The following users thanked this post: Keysight DanielBogdanoff

Offline Lajon

• Contributor
« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2017, 10:48:39 am »
afhox, did it have old firmware (<2.41) when it failed?
/Lars

Offline afhox

« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2017, 12:54:01 pm »
afhox, did it have old firmware (<2.41) when it failed?
/Lars

I don't remember exactly the version that was previously installed, but definitely prior to 2.41 since it was still an Agilent firmware. Unit returned with 2.41.

Offline funkfool

« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2017, 03:22:02 pm »
Well now, it appears I also have a DSOX3034A that is exhibiting this issue. Powers up, lights up and will not boot. Just cycles through endlessly.
I have 5 others that show no symptoms. Has a work around been found for this issue?
I would sure be interested in it.
Flat rate repair is now $2,720.44. Waiting for a quote on repair agreement.

Offline georgd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #79 on: July 14, 2017, 05:48:23 pm »
Keysight will repair your scope regardless of warranty status for this kind of issue.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/agilent-dsox2024-won't-boot/msg947259/#msg947259

Georg

Offline deepankar

« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2017, 09:18:01 am »
I have a DSO-X 2022A.I also face the same issue the scope was not in use for long time and today i turned it on and i  was taken by surprise. It wont boot. I have recorded a video that shows what happens.

Offline willemite

• Contributor
« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2017, 07:10:57 pm »
I hadn't turned on my scope in a few months and now my DSOX2004a is suffering the same no boot issue.
I saw above that it might be repaired for free, but Keysight seems to think it will cost ... $1,167.54.
Guess I will have to try calling again.

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2017, 07:18:51 pm »
Ask them to check this eevblog thread and they will fix it.  I just had my unit fixed and recalibrated for free in the US.  This is from the repair report:

"Unit failed to boot due to NAND memory corruption. Unit is qualify for the Service Note MSOX3024A-05A"

The following users thanked this post: willemite, Keysight DanielBogdanoff

Offline willemite

• Contributor
« Reply #83 on: November 21, 2017, 01:35:43 pm »
Thank you so much, that was exactly what needed to be said (referred them to the Service Note).
Thanks

Offline LeMaitre

« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2018, 02:57:18 am »
Yesterday I had the exact same problem as alanambrose with my DSOX2002A (firmware v2.35 I think). I had not used it for a while then I went to switch it on and it would not boot. It just flashed a few lights and froze with the Math and Ref LEDs staying on. Even though it is old enough to be out of warranty, I had only used it about a dozen times. It's kinda hobby use but I do appreciate good equipment and I loved it while it worked. So I phoned Keysight UK straight away and got through to a nice chap quite quickly. I described the problem and asked if he'd seen it before and if the 2 lights mean something like an error code. He said it just means it stopped during that part of the boot sequence. What he said next made my heart sink. He said, "Our repair strategy for your scope is replacement! We don't repair those scopes in this country". He said I can send it in and they will quote me for the replacement. What a waste I thought. This fault could be a simple fix.

Then out of desperation I started searching the Internet and came across this thread. I have 2 questions:

1. To alanambrose: was your scope under warranty when it was fixed free of charge?

2. To Keysight DanielBogdanoff: does my scope qualify for a non-booting free repair out of warranty in the UK?

Thanks all.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 01:36:22 am by LeMaitre »

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2018, 07:45:14 pm »
@LeMaitre, it's possible that it qualifies. We don't repair those scopes in-country because it would be really, really expensive. The repair folks also repair things like our high end 60+ GHz scopes, so they're pretty specialized.

I would recommend calling back and asking if it "qualifies to be repaired against service note DSOX2002A-06A.” If it qualifies, repair/replacement is free. The NAND thing is for a specific range of serial numbers, but if your scope is showing these symptoms it's probably quite likely it will fall in that serial number range. If that doesn't work, send me a PM and we can discuss further.

The following users thanked this post: LeMaitre

Offline LeMaitre

« Reply #86 on: March 15, 2018, 09:46:18 pm »
Thanks for that Daniel. I will contact them tomorrow.

It is a little strange that they never mentioned any of this to me. It was as if they had never seen this issue before.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 04:24:00 pm by LeMaitre »

Offline LeMaitre

« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2018, 11:27:41 am »
I contacted Keysight UK and asked if my scope qualifies to be repaired against that service note. They would not tell me! They said it has to go for a technical evaluation. They said another department would get in touch to arrange to collect it last week but I still have not heard anything from them.

When they said they don't repair these scopes in this country I think they meant the only option for people in the UK is replacement if anything goes wrong.

Offline LeMaitre

« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2018, 07:49:35 pm »
The next week I got an email with a link to a FedEx label. They picked it up a few days later.

One week later I received the scope back and it was working!!  :-+ Looking through the option slot at the back, it seems like they changed the main board.

The note with it said "Repaired against service note DSOX2002A-06A". So it was repaired for free and outside of warranty (I received no invoice).

Why couldn't tech support have mentioned any of this on the phone? I thought my scope had been written off.

Whilst I really appreciate the free repair, I will have to think twice before buying Keysight again. It seems that if it is out of warranty, then it is a write off. I can't afford that.

A special thanks has to go to DanielBogdanoff for his assistance as I may have thrown it away if I had not known about that service note.

Offline Fgrir

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #89 on: April 09, 2018, 06:39:34 pm »
Whilst I really appreciate the free repair, I will have to think twice before buying Keysight again. It seems that if it is out of warranty, then it is a write off. I can't afford that.

I think that Keysight really does consider their lower-end scopes as almost disposable, given that the per-incident repair costs are usually >50% of the original selling price. On the other hand I have found their repair agreements are quite reasonably priced (at least in the US), so if you are worried about keeping your equipment for a long time I think they may still be a better option than many other players.  I recently paid $120/yr for a three year repair agreement on my MSOX3024A, and it looks like a similar plan for your DSOX2002A would only be $36/yr.

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2018, 07:35:00 pm »
I'm so glad we were able to get you taken care of!

The challenge we have with repairs is that the same people that would repair a 2000 X-Series repair the super-high-end stuff. And the cost is the same regardless of whether it's a $1,000 or a $100,000 piece of gear. That labor cost is not negligible.

We always recommend getting an extended warranty if you're able.

Also, my understanding is that manufacturer repairs are sorta expensive no matter what brand, although I imagine we're on the more expensive end of the spectrum.

Finally, I did some digging on the phone communication. THE TECHS CANNOT TELL YOU IF THE REPAIR WILL BE COVERED OVER THE PHONE because they need to physically have the unit for eval. But, they won't charge you for repairs that you haven't approved.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2018, 07:57:12 pm »
Finally, I did some digging on the phone communication. THE TECHS CANNOT TELL YOU IF THE REPAIR WILL BE COVERED OVER THE PHONE because they need to physically have the unit for eval. But, they won't charge you for repairs that you haven't approved.
To clarify: are you saying examination by Keysight is free?
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Tomy

« Reply #92 on: May 28, 2019, 09:24:16 pm »
I have MSOX 2012A and it doesn't boot, as shown in video posted by deepankar (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/agilent-dsox2024-won_t-boot/msg1272116/#msg1272116).
The device was turned off for 8 to10 months and guarantee has expired :-(

I bought the device in Belgium. Now I live in Slovenia and I called local distributor, who said that because the oscilloscope was not bought from them, I have to pay transport costs and they can send device to the repair.
We will see, I hope for a free repair :)

Offline rrrrr

« Reply #93 on: July 16, 2021, 07:41:42 am »
I recently had a similar issue on my DSOX after not using the instrument for a couple of months, it would try and boot and then restart again and the cycle would repeat

Fortunately after several (20?) power down/up cycles it booted and ran for long enough to allow me to update the firmware. Since then I haven't had any problems

I suspect that maybe the EEPROM was wearing out and the firmware update refreshed its contents

Hopefully the update fixes the problem for good, so if any owners haven't updated their firmware in the last couple of years I suggest it be done sooner rather than later

Another bonus of the firmware update is that the boot time is cut in half!

Offline swperk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #94 on: February 08, 2022, 02:52:46 am »
I just brought my Agilent DSOX2024A back to my bench after it sat unused for several months and I have the dreaded "won't boot" issue now, too. What's the consensus about the likelihood of getting Keysight to repair it under some sort of extended warranty?

Stan

Offline orbital

« Reply #95 on: November 16, 2022, 02:43:52 pm »
I have exactly the same issue with my DSO X 3024A - were those who had them recently fixed, fixed out of warranty? I've contact keysight.

Offline 10minusT

« Reply #96 on: May 13, 2023, 08:46:14 pm »
tl;dr: Keysight repaired my MSOX3024A in October 2022 under "Service Note MSOX3024A-05B"

I contacted Keysight last Fall and they quoted me $2000+. After a couple calls I mentioned "Service Note MSOX3024A-05A" and got confirmation there would be no charge for the repair.

Their Courier Services reached out and scheduled a pickup.  A couple weeks later I had a working scope with a fresh calibration certificate.

The Customer Service Report references "Service Note MSOX3024A-05B".
The no-charge repair under Service Note "MSOX3024A-05A" ended October 2019 so they must have extended the program.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2023, 08:50:28 pm by 10minusT »

Offline 10minusT

« Reply #97 on: May 13, 2023, 08:49:16 pm »
I have exactly the same issue with my DSO X 3024A - were those who had them recently fixed, fixed out of warranty? I've contact keysight.

My unit was well out of warranty.

Offline charliex

• Frequent Contributor
  • Car Hacker
« Reply #98 on: February 24, 2024, 11:31:06 pm »
our agilent dsox-2002a did the same thing where it wouldn't boot, and then some fiddling and it booted after a while. but a week or two later same thing. so this time once it started updated to the keysight re-branding. has  booted a few times now, will check back in in a few weeks to see if it still boots.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf