Author Topic: new killer scope in town - a true game changer from R&S - RTB2002 & RTB2004  (Read 816755 times)

Rydda and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Robaroni

• Frequent Contributor
  • Retired EE
    • Design Specialties
There's no oil of any kind in scope probes, that's external.

Offline Darkover

• Contributor
I have RTB2002 for about 3 years and his 2 RT-ZP03 never show any sign of any leakage. They are perfectly dry. Maybe external causes? Proximity with some flowers, herbal decorations?

I never faced the problem you described! Is there any special gas in your enviroment?

However the probes from R&S not good anyhow. Buy some from PMK!

https://www.pmk.de/en/products/pml_high_z_tastkoepfe      PML712

They are smaler and the middle pin has a spring. They are so good that other famos company are buy them
and print there name on it and sold them for the double price  ;)
Unfortunatly R&S is to stingy to put good probes to >4000Euro scope.

Especially if you use the probes with the ground-spring you will never look back to the old ones!

Olaf

Offline alonsojar

• Contributor
Not a fan of the RT-ZP03, but PMK PML712 are selling 315 Euro plus VAT each... Is it a good price? Wow.

Btw, no problems with leakage in any of the four RT-ZP03 I own. I mainly complain  about the sliding hook mechanism that I feel tough and unpleasant.

J.Alonso

Offline Darkover

• Contributor
PMK PML712 are selling 315 Euro plus VAT each...

Aehm..yes. I am using older PML211 on my scope I bought  a few years back. I remember something like 150Euro VAT included.

https://www.batronix.com/versand/messtechnik/tastkoepfe/PMK/PML211.html

It is always possible to exchange bandwith by euro.  :-DD

Olaf

Offline pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
  • Product Management Engineer, Rohde & Schwarz
    • Test and Measurement Fundamentals Playlist on the R&S YouTube channel
My warranty is past, that's my fault, but decided to call Rhode and Schwarz support to inquire about this.  No one there had ever heard of this(came with RT-ZP03). 

I have never heard of this before either (and believe me, I would have if it were a known issue), and I personally have a lot of ZP03 probes as well.  I think the other posters might be correct in that this was caused by some external substance getting on the probes at some point.
Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

Free online test and measurement fundamentals courses from Rohde & Schwarz:  https://tinyurl.com/mv7a4vb6

Offline Darkover

• Contributor

I have seen something like this with computer parts, rubber, cable that are installed in an
industrial sewage treatment plant. You did not notice it with youre nose, but some
gas/fumes can have strange effect on some plastic.
Sometimes I wonder how people can work there!

Please show a high quality picture to us.

Olaf

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline electronix27

Thanks for all the replies.
This really has me stumped.  I know there's no oil inside the cable.  The outside jacket just appears to be degrading.  Has occurred to some degree on all probe cables but a couple have been a bit more.  No harsh environment, mostly just my home bench.  The scope itself still looks like new.  Shortly after original purchase, I bought the protection and transport case, model RTB-Z3, made just for this scope and 3000 series.  kind of expensive, but I don't regret the purchase, works really well.  All the probes and a few extra cables and a differential probe fit in there.  I thought that might be made in Germany.  It has a unique smell to it.  I used to roll all the probe cables and slide them inside front pouch, but after I noticed this wetness on the cables I put them in baggies first.  I don't think it's a reaction to case materials, none of the other cables inside have this issue.  When I first noticed the issue, I wiped them down with 91% Isopropyl, then water.  R&S Rep recommended same thing.  Few photos from storage baggie.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 06:43:42 pm by electronix27 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf