Author Topic: The Siglent SDG2042X Thread  (Read 550497 times)

Offline RoadRunner

• Frequent Contributor
Re: The Siglent SDG2042X Thread
« Reply #600 on: January 12, 2017, 02:29:58 pm »
You can downgrade to hackable version 17R5, do the hack, and upgrade to 22R5.

i had 17R5 upgraded to 22R5 and hack was gone. so i hacked it again with some other method.
i am not sure about others.

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #601 on: January 12, 2017, 02:41:43 pm »
Really? I've only done one upgrade since I hacked mine and the hack stayed. So the latest update reverses the hack?

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline maxspb69

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #602 on: January 13, 2017, 05:51:08 pm »
No, the firmware update does not affect the hack.

Offline RoadRunner

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #603 on: January 14, 2017, 04:33:46 am »
No, the firmware update does not affect the hack.

may be i did something really stupid, can somebody confirm if telnet still available to login without user name password.

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
The Siglent SDG2042X Thread
« Reply #604 on: January 14, 2017, 11:09:13 am »
I think two different things are being meant here. For clarification:

After an update the hack is still there if it has already been done. However the hack is not possible to do after the update because a Telnet password has been added.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline AndyC247

« Reply #605 on: January 16, 2017, 08:53:41 pm »
I  have  just got my SDG2042X and I am really liking it.

I am finding one thing a bit irritating but maybe I am missing something. It seems like the only way to set the amplitude units is to start to enter the value via the numeric keys. This causes the buttons below the display to allow the user to select the amplitude units. Once I have set an amplitude I would like to be able to change the units without changing the actual amplitude, eg V RMS to V Pk to Pk or dBm to mV RMS. There doesn't appear to be a way to do this without entering a new value.

If it isn't currently possible could I suggest Siglent consider adding this feature. For example, holding the Amplitude button down could cause the Units menu to appear, permitting the user to change the units.

Andrew

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Online PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #606 on: January 16, 2017, 09:18:57 pm »
I am finding one thing a bit irritating but maybe I am missing something. It seems like the only way to set the amplitude units is to start to enter the value via the numeric keys. This causes the buttons below the display to allow the user to select the amplitude units. Once I have set an amplitude I would like to be able to change the units without changing the actual amplitude, eg V RMS to V Pk to Pk or dBm to mV RMS. There doesn't appear to be a way to do this without entering a new value.

You're right, one has to type a number and then the unit, and I'd find somewhat scary If one could inadvertently change lets say 10 mVpp into 10Vpp with one keystroke,  a switch from 10dBm to 10Vpp could be ruin instantly some RF circuits

You can, however easily change the first, second, third.... digit of a number with a quick turn of the knob.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 09:20:36 pm by MasterTech »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #607 on: January 16, 2017, 09:26:23 pm »

You're right, one has to type a number and then the unit, and I'd find somewhat scary If one could inadvertently change lets say 10 mVpp into 10Vpp with one keystroke,  a switch from 10dBm to 10Vpp could be ruin instantly some RF circuits

You can, however easily change the first, second, third.... digit of a number with a quick turn of the knob.
Like any equipment that has the potential to damage a DUT one must be careful with its use as none are really idiot proof.
Simply toggle the output OFF, make any necessary adjustment, check your settings and toggle back ON.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #608 on: January 16, 2017, 09:36:33 pm »
I  have  just got my SDG2042X and I am really liking it.

If it isn't currently possible could I suggest Siglent consider adding this feature. For example, holding the Amplitude button down could cause the Units menu to appear, permitting the user to change the units.

Andrew
Welcome to the forum.

Can you check the firmware version yours came with ?
The latest version is P22R5.
You can download it here:
http://www.siglentamerica.com/gjjrj-xq.aspx?id=4960&tid=15

I'm temp out of stock but when I have some more I'll investigate your suggestion with a view to having this added to the UI.

Others that think this is a worthwhile addition ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #609 on: January 16, 2017, 09:50:26 pm »
Others that think this is a worthwhile addition ?
I for one would prefer not to have this feature as it definitively carries some risks, besides I don't see the point in changing the units of a magnitude without changing the absolute value first, but thats just my impression

The following users thanked this post: tautech, nugglix

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #610 on: January 16, 2017, 11:21:32 pm »
I also vote for not useful bordering on dangerous.

Edit: I am withdrawing my comment. Had just gotten home from work, and despite the fact that we are in a signal generator thread I for some reason had power supply on the brain. I was literally picturing switching from 3mA to 3A. I do not have an opinion one way or the other on the suggestion.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 01:56:19 am by CustomEngineerer »

Offline kcbrown

• Frequent Contributor
The Siglent SDG2042X Thread
« Reply #611 on: January 17, 2017, 12:26:46 am »
If one changes the units in the way suggested, the generator should just change the value shown to reflect the change in units.   Which is to say, changing the units should have no effect on the actual output, only on the displayed value and the displayed units.

At least, that's how it should behave if the output is turned on.  It's less clear whether that's how it should behave if the output is turned off.  If it doesn't change the value field when the output is turned off, then there should be a clear indication that the output strength is being edited.

(Sent with Tapatalk, so apologies for the lackluster formatting)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 12:30:26 am by kcbrown »

The following users thanked this post: tautech, kado

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #612 on: January 17, 2017, 06:46:56 am »
Old RF signal generators (without soft menus) have a numeric keypad for entering values, a set of buttons for selecting the units and some up/down keys and/or a rotary encoder together with position keys to change values.

The rules for the amplitude setting are quite simple:

•   Enter a new amplitude by typing a value followed by the appropriate unit-key.
•   Change the amplitude value by using the up/down keys or rotary encoder.
•   Do a unit conversion without any amplitude change by selecting a new unit – this is done by just pressing the associated unit key.
•   The behaviour is exactly the same, whether the output is enabled or not.

That’s exactly how any modern instrument should behave, with the only difference, that the unit-keys would not be visible all the time due to the soft menu architecture. Consequently, there has to be a key to display the units menu, and it sounds perfectly plausible to use the “Amplitude” key for that.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 06:50:17 am by Performa01 »

The following users thanked this post: tautech, kado, nugglix, papousek

Online PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #613 on: January 17, 2017, 07:00:45 am »
That’s exactly how any modern instrument should behave, with the only difference, that the unit-keys would not be visible all the time due to the soft menu architecture. Consequently, there has to be a key to display the units menu, and it sounds perfectly plausible to use the “Amplitude” key for that.

On the SDG2042 there is no amplitude key as such, but the units menu appear as soon as you want to change any generator parameter (voltage, freq, offset)

This principle, change absolute value first, then units, applies to all the instruments modern generating /measuring instruments I have, SDG2042, Rigol DP832, Rohde CRTU, HP 3589A...

Offline AndyC247

« Reply #614 on: January 17, 2017, 09:36:44 am »
Tautech:  Yes using the latest software version.

Interesting responses. TBH I am a hobbyist so I don't have professional experience of modern test equipment UIs.

I guess I was just thinking of the SDG2042X performing a unit conversion for me, eg V pk-pk to RMS and dBm to mV RMS. Changing from V pk-pk to mV pk-pk would not make sense in that context. I certainly wasn't expecting the output level to change.

This is a great thread BTW, I learnt a lot about the SDG2042X by reading it ...

Thanks,
Andrew

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #615 on: January 17, 2017, 09:49:50 am »

Interesting responses. TBH I am a hobbyist so I don't have professional experience of modern test equipment UIs.

I guess I was just thinking of the SDG2042X performing a unit conversion for me, eg V pk-pk to RMS and dBm to mV RMS. Changing from V pk-pk to mV pk-pk would not make sense in that context. I certainly wasn't expecting the output level to change.

Thanks,
Andrew
Irrespective of the discussions outcome it's still good to have them as it gives some better understanding of users preferences and if the bulk of them align with the UI and that's current industry expectation then all is good.  :)
The further benefit is to enlighten others as to proper procedures and usage but enough of my ramblings, please carry on to enjoy your new instrument.
Feel free to bounce anything further that concerns you at us.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: nugglix

Offline Plasmateur

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #616 on: January 20, 2017, 05:53:24 am »
Tautech,

Do you know if the next firmware update will allow for a software trigger to be able to trigger both channels at the same time? Are they working on that for the next update? If so, do you know when that update will take place?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #617 on: January 20, 2017, 06:39:39 am »
Tautech,

Do you know if the next firmware update will allow for a software trigger to be able to trigger both channels at the same time? Are they working on that for the next update? If so, do you know when that update will take place?
:-//
Can't you do that with Ch Copy/Track, then use Burst on the Tracked Ch with the start set to Ext and initiate it from an Aux In signal or use the Manual Burst start ?

All that's in FW 22R5.....now I haven't tried it as I've just got new stock today and had to fire one up to check how it might be done in the UI.
Your turn.  >:D  Tell us if that works.  :popcorn:

Ah, do you mean a SCPI command ?
Not at all conversant with them, sorry. But if the commands mentioned above are available maybe you can try that procedure ?

The last update was last October so unless something else is a problem I don't know of any updates coming soon.
I think the factory is quite busy working on some other new goodies for y'all.  :)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 07:31:52 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #618 on: January 20, 2017, 07:54:38 am »

Thanks,
Andrew
Now that I have stock of these again....I do see your point and it's been passed to the factory for consideration along with Performa01's always great advice.  ;)

Regarding dB units, they are only available when the output load is set to 50 \$\Omega\$.
With HiZ output settings only V p-p and Vrms units are available.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: Performa01

Offline Plasmateur

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #619 on: January 21, 2017, 05:39:43 am »
Tautech,

Can't you do that with Ch Copy/Track, then use Burst on the Tracked Ch with the start set to Ext and initiate it from an Aux In signal or use the Manual Burst start ?

All that's in FW 22R5.....now I haven't tried it as I've just got new stock today and had to fire one up to check how it might be done in the UI.

Not at all conversant with them, sorry. But if the commands mentioned above are available maybe you can try that procedure ?

The last update was last October so unless something else is a problem I don't know of any updates coming soon.
I think the factory is quite busy working on some other new goodies for y'all.  :)

Yes, with a SCPI command. Would make the unit super awesome if it could do that. That's really the only goodie I need.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #620 on: January 21, 2017, 06:29:24 am »
Tautech,

Yes, with a SCPI command. Would make the unit super awesome if it could do that. That's really the only goodie I need.
I started a dialogue with the factory late yesterday, it ran until the close of day in Shenzhen and we're committed to return to it on Monday at which time I'll push some more for changes. Got some other stuff to fit in then too so I'll bash some sort of doc together over the weekend for the product manager to fully consider. No promises but I'll try to present a good case. Now where's that SCPI manual..............
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Plasmateur

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #621 on: January 21, 2017, 05:54:35 pm »
Thank you so much. I really appreciate it.

I wonder how Chinese new year will effect the progress on this. I know some of the manufactures in Taiwan are going to be completely shut down over the course of a week.

Super awesome if they are able to get this to work.

If this unit can trigger bother CH.1 and CH.2 outputs from a SCPI command.... AND.....have a DC pulse with a set width come out of the output on the back....Nothing even holds a candle to this within this frequency range (IMO). And the guys in Ohio who came out to my lab, if they can demonstrate this functionality, it would be a huge selling point.

Also, if the salesmen in Ohio had a labtop they could hook up to this sig-gen with an awesome LabVIEW VI and/or MatLAB interface to demonstate this, I think it would catch potential buyer's attention even moreso.....is siglent Ohio hiring? I feel like I could sell these things to those who are program savvy and could realize the value this sig gen brings. I think its incredible, and with another firmware update, would bring shame upon anything else in the market within this range of frequency.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 05:56:28 pm by Plasmateur »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #622 on: January 21, 2017, 08:40:41 pm »

I wonder how Chinese new year will effect the progress on this. I know some of the manufactures in Taiwan are going to be completely shut down over the course of a week.

If this unit can trigger bother CH.1 and CH.2 outputs from a SCPI command.... AND.....have a DC pulse with a set width come out of the output on the back....Nothing even holds a candle to this within this frequency range (IMO). And the guys in Ohio who came out to my lab, if they can demonstrate this functionality, it would be a huge selling point.

Also, if the salesmen in Ohio had a labtop they could hook up to this sig-gen with an awesome LabVIEW VI and/or MatLAB interface to demonstate this, I think it would catch potential buyer's attention even moreso.....is siglent Ohio hiring? I feel like I could sell these things to those who are program savvy and could realize the value this sig gen brings. I think its incredible, and with another firmware update, would bring shame upon anything else in the market within this range of frequency.
Can you try this:
Set the parameters and then OUTP to OFF, then *WAI (wait) followed by OUTP 's to ON
Is this a valid "workaround" solution ?

Is the VKEY command also of use to trigger both outputs ?

Commands from the Siglent SCPI manual:
http://www.siglentamerica.com/USA_website_2014/Documents/Program_Material/SDG_Remote%20Control%20Manual(Rev1.0).pdf

DC pulse with a set width come out of the output on the back
Can you offer a usage case please ?

Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Plasmateur

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #623 on: January 22, 2017, 04:58:48 am »

Can you try this:
Set the parameters and then OUTP to OFF, then *WAI (wait) followed by OUTP 's to ON
Is this a valid "workaround" solution ?

Is the VKEY command also of use to trigger both outputs ?

Commands from the Siglent SCPI manual:
http://www.siglentamerica.com/USA_website_2014/Documents/Program_Material/SDG_Remote%20Control%20Manual(Rev1.0).pdf

DC pulse with a set width come out of the output on the back
Can you offer a usage case please ?

I didn't see anything in the vkey command that eluded to simulating the pressing of the manual trigger button. But that should do the trick.

The attached picture shows in theory what I'd like to do with SDG2042X, I'm not sure if I did this with the most recent update. Here we can see two different signals with two different frequencies offset with some time difference from the start of the burst.

Also, I would be using the Aux/out as a pulse delay generator, (the purple line) with some set width and some set delay(+/-) relative to ch.1 or ch.2.

It looks like this machine could do that with the correct firmware, that is.

Channel 1 - Burst mode - Set frequency, set amplitude, set cycles, set delay - trigger from SCPI and/or manual,

Channel 2 - Burst mode - Set frequency, set amplitude, set cycles, set delay relative to ch.1 - trigger from the same SCPI and/or manual as ch.1

Aux Out    - Burst mode - Set width, set amplitude, set delay relative to ch.1 - trigger from the same SCPI and/or manual as ch.1

That would be so sick if this unit could do that.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 05:06:29 am by Plasmateur »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #624 on: January 22, 2017, 06:46:08 am »

The attached picture shows in theory what I'd like to do with SDG2042X, I'm not sure if I did this with the most recent update. Here we can see two different signals with two different frequencies offset with some time difference from the start of the burst.

Also, I would be using the Aux/out as a pulse delay generator, (the purple line) with some set width and some set delay(+/-) relative to ch.1 or ch.2.

It looks like this machine could do that with the correct firmware, that is.

Aux Out    - Burst mode - Set width, set amplitude, set delay relative to ch.1 - trigger from the same SCPI and/or manual as ch.1
Oh dear......your scope.  :box:

Aux Out.
Width and delay could IMO be possible, but when amplitude is considered one needs to look hard at the HW for this to be considered feasible.

So we need look at some SDG2000X teardown pics to see if the Aux Out HW has the potential to vary the output amplitude.
As this BNC is an I/O there should be some switching and buffers, one would expect. If the buffers are only level shifters then we might be SOL. Although that wouldn't stop you from adding your own level shifter or fast amplitude stage.
Can I leave this to you, maybe come back here with a pic so we can all have a study of it.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf