Author Topic: The Siglent SDG2042X Thread  (Read 550512 times)

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
Re: The Siglent SDG2042X Thread
« Reply #675 on: May 05, 2017, 05:29:05 am »
Is it possible to modulate an FSK signal with a file (square wave waveform)?  I'd like to be able to upload a bitstream and FSK modulate that signal.

I'm able to do FSK modulation of simple square wave, but modulation of arbitrary data is what I really need.

Please reply here.  I have the same question.  I'm sure others will too.

The same question as yourself or are you referring to a different question on your second post? For the obvious question, it does appear that you can FSK modulate an arbitrary waveform, so you should just be able to upload your arbitrary waveform, set it as the active waveform, the turn on and setup modulation.

Edit: In addition to that it also appears that you can feed in an external signal through the signal/trigger in connector on the back to be used for the "Key Freq".
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 05:31:03 am by CustomEngineerer »

Offline colorado.rob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #676 on: May 05, 2017, 01:01:39 pm »
Is it possible to modulate an FSK signal with a file (square wave waveform)?  I'd like to be able to upload a bitstream and FSK modulate that signal.

I'm able to do FSK modulation of simple square wave, but modulation of arbitrary data is what I really need.

For the obvious question, it does appear that you can FSK modulate an arbitrary waveform, so you should just be able to upload your arbitrary waveform, set it as the active waveform, the turn on and setup modulation.

I want to FSK modulate a sine wave with an arbitrary bit sequence.  Most other forms allow one to specify the modulation source (example: "C2:MDWV PWM,MDSP, ARB") but there is no "MDSP" option for FSK, either via the front panel or via SCPI command.  This seems to be an oversight limiting the usefulness of the FSK modulator.

Offline Plasmateur

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #677 on: May 06, 2017, 02:22:27 am »
Tautech,

Any news on getting getting both channels to trigger from a remote command on the next firmware update?
I can ask but the factory is on a Chinese holiday for the next few days.

Sorry to keep buggin ya on this. Any update at all?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #678 on: May 06, 2017, 02:37:37 am »
Tautech,

Any news on getting getting both channels to trigger from a remote command on the next firmware update?
I can ask but the factory is on a Chinese holiday for the next few days.

Sorry to keep buggin ya on this. Any update at all?
I'll chase it up.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #679 on: May 06, 2017, 05:12:54 am »
I'm looking to purchase a SDG2042X as a gift for an engineering student. This would be my first experience with a Siglent product. Based on the specs the 2042X looks like a better performer with more features and overall it looks like a good value (not that much more expensive) vs. the SDG1025 and SDG1032X.  Just wanted to make sure after reading this thread (with questions/issues regarding 50 Ohm vs Hi Z output controls, etc., etc.) that the SDG2042X firmware is mature enough.

While the performance and features seem superior on the SDG2042X to the other two models maybe the 1025 or 1032 has firmware that would be more refined/reliable than the SDG2042X?  I'm sure an EE student can work through some firmware bugs but I wouldn't want to provide a unit that is overly quirky.  Any reason to consider the 1025 or 1032, or just go for the 2042?  Thx

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #680 on: May 06, 2017, 05:56:22 am »
2042 is a great product, The firmware is quite stable, I didn't have any problem on firmware that stops using the product, The majority of issues are related to a not so user-friendly HMI, and a ridiculous set of alarms messages unessary, Othe than that the instrument is the best in this price range, 16 bit and 1.2 GS makes a Hugh difference to all others on this class.
But still a Chinese product, but is top class Chinese not poor one, but it's easy to see some details missing

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #681 on: May 06, 2017, 06:17:03 am »
I'm looking to purchase a SDG2042X as a gift for an engineering student. This would be my first experience with a Siglent product. Based on the specs the 2042X looks like a better performer with more features and overall it looks like a good value (not that much more expensive) vs. the SDG1025 and SDG1032X.  Just wanted to make sure after reading this thread (with questions/issues regarding 50 Ohm vs Hi Z output controls, etc., etc.) that the SDG2042X firmware is mature enough.

While the performance and features seem superior on the SDG2042X to the other two models maybe the 1025 or 1032 has firmware that would be more refined/reliable than the SDG2042X?  I'm sure an EE student can work through some firmware bugs but I wouldn't want to provide a unit that is overly quirky.  Any reason to consider the 1025 or 1032, or just go for the 2042?  Thx
Hi EF
Go through the datasheets, side by side.
Quick and simple overview.
2002X range is the best overall unit, 1002X models can do square to same frequency as sine and older 1k models have the 2nd channel amplitude limitation like many other brands.

All models have 50 \$\Omega\$ permanent outputs and the Hi-Z selection just toggles the display amplitude value to match the load. (50 \$\Omega\$ value is 1/2 HiZ)
Mentioned in the SDG1kX datasheet in a footnote for Output Characteristics on P8.

IMO for a $100 less than 2042X a 1032X need be carefully considered. It hasn't got all the bells and whistles of 2042X but square wave spec makes up for that.

Both X models have a fan. Many older 1K models do not.
X models have better signal fidelity.
1kX models are the latest series in the Siglent AWG family.

Yeah I know......decisions.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #682 on: May 06, 2017, 06:44:20 am »
2042 can easily go to 120 Mhz, with only a few types on computer terminal, doing everything a SDG2122X in less than a minute

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #683 on: May 06, 2017, 06:52:37 am »
2042 can easily go to 120 Mhz, with only a few types on computer terminal, doing everything a SDG2122X in less than a minute
:)
What we do not know.......as yet, can the 1032X can be improved in the same way to SDG1062X ?  :-/O
Then we could have 60 MHz sine and square frequencies that will beat the 2122X square wave by 15 MHz.  :scared:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #684 on: May 06, 2017, 08:00:23 am »
We had a talk about this some time ago
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sdg1032x-mini-teardown/
but did someone try something

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #685 on: May 06, 2017, 09:55:55 am »
1032X will go nowhere with only  150 MSa/s sampling

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #686 on: May 07, 2017, 03:37:08 pm »
Then we could have 60 MHz sine and square frequencies that will beat the 2122X square wave by 15 MHz.  :scared:
by 35 MHz ?

Offline pigrew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #687 on: May 07, 2017, 04:38:25 pm »
I keep wanting the 2122X to be able to output sine waves at above 120MHz,  with AM modulation. It looks like the AD9122 should be able to do it. The datasheet lists outputs at up to 375MHz. I'd bet that the 3dB point of the output filters/amp is at least 175MHz, if not higher.

Offline sdouble

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #688 on: May 07, 2017, 04:40:10 pm »
I own a SDG2042X and I mus say that i'm a bit disappointed.
I only use it with square waveforms and low to medium frequency. from 100Hz to 50kHz. My issues : the rise time and the noise level.
I use the square wave form to charge a pF capacitor and inject an integrator circuit (jFET input).
The cap is charge during every leading/trailing edge but the noisy plateaus are also affecting my integrator output.
The Rigol DG4062 behaves much better with that respect.

Online Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #689 on: May 07, 2017, 05:04:31 pm »
I only use it with square waveforms and low to medium frequency. from 100Hz to 50kHz. My issues : the rise time and the noise level.
I use the square wave form to charge a pF capacitor and inject an integrator circuit (jFET input).
The cap is charge during every leading/trailing edge but the noisy plateaus are also affecting my integrator output.

I thought relatively low noise was supposed to be a strong suit for the Siglent SDG 2X series; are you sure it's the SDG that is causing the noise?

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #690 on: May 07, 2017, 07:09:06 pm »
I keep wanting the 2122X to be able to output sine waves at above 120MHz,  with AM modulation. It looks like the AD9122 should be able to do it. The datasheet lists outputs at up to 375MHz. I'd bet that the 3dB point of the output filters/amp is at least 175MHz, if not higher.
Once I did expand some its limits in limit.xml file
but realized that the limits are set fair enough.
Beyond the limits the waveform is crap...
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/the-siglent-sdg2042x-thread/msg989922/#msg989922
But right now I don't remember,  I'm not sure about sine wave quality... and I only have 100 Mhz scope here

Offline sdouble

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #691 on: May 07, 2017, 10:12:03 pm »

I thought relatively low noise was supposed to be a strong suit for the Siglent SDG 2X series; are you sure it's the SDG that is causing the noise?
absolutely.
same set up, i swap the sdg2042x for a dg4062 and  the noise is reduced by a factor of 3 approx.

Online Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #692 on: May 07, 2017, 10:49:57 pm »

absolutely.
same set up, i swap the sdg2042x for a dg4062 and  the noise is reduced by a factor of 3 approx.

Roger that. 

You mentioned noise and rise time; in addition to the noise, the rise time doesn't meet the specs?

Any chance you can post some images showing the SigGen/DUT setup and the screen capture results (rise time and noise) from both the Siglent and the Rigol generated signals?  Maybe someone here with a Siglent can see if they get similar results.  Thx

Add-on thought/question:

In this other post (in the link below) there is a question regarding a potential difference in results depending on whether the DDS mode or the TrueArb mode is being used to generate a signal.  Just curious to see which mode you are using and if one or the other improves the rise time and/or the noise in your project?

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/dds-vs-truearb-something-is-wrong-or-dds-is-no-go-for-timing-sensitive-signal/
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 11:09:11 pm by Electro Fan »

Offline pigrew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #693 on: May 07, 2017, 11:06:01 pm »
Once I did expand some its limits in limit.xml file
but realized that the limits are set fair enough.
Beyond the limits the waveform is crap...
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/the-siglent-sdg2042x-thread/msg989922/#msg989922
But right now I don't remember,  I'm not sure about sine wave quality... and I only have 100 Mhz scope here

What I was thinking about would require significant firmware changes, to enable the use of the NCO (numerically controlled oscillator) on the DAC chip. Currently, the FPGA is generating the data at up to 300 MSa/s to generate waveforms. However, the DAC can be programmed to generate a sine wave on its own, at higher frequencies, without the FPGA having to input samples that quickly, and modulate the input data at that carrier frequency. One disadvantage is that both channels have to be set to the same carrier frequency (or at least ones that are close together).

I'd like to be able to use the SDG2042X as a RF source at 128 MHz.

Online Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #694 on: May 08, 2017, 03:49:57 am »
Hi rf-loop,

Any chance you might have comparable numbers for the SDG2042X?  Thx, EF
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 03:51:34 am by Electro Fan »

Offline MrW0lf

• Frequent Contributor
    • lab!fyi
« Reply #695 on: May 08, 2017, 02:01:32 pm »
Bricking alert!

My unit was running perfectly fine until did the following:

1) Firmware upgrade 22R5 => 23R3, after successful upgrade just continued to use and did following:
2) Used EasyWave to send 8pts wfm, played around with DDS/TrueArb setting etc. Turned unit off while custom wfm was loaded.

Next day unit now shows blank screen after logo. Controls non-responsive. Parameter button is lit. Not recognized as USB device. But LAN shows functional login screen. Do not know user/pass.

:-// Since did 2 things first time (not used EW before) cannot be sure which activity bricked it. My first idea would be delete custom wfm. Maybe loading it at boot bricks it. But cannot get in....

Ordered online from siglent.eu quite a hassle sending it back etc... Since LAN is working maybe there is some trick to resurrect it? Can firmware be upgraded / downgraded over LAN? Reset procedure? Telnet user / pass?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 02:05:06 pm by MrW0lf »

Offline nugglix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #696 on: May 08, 2017, 03:10:31 pm »
Ouch!
That sounds serious.

Thanks for notifying us.

Maybe you can leave a reference to your post in
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-technical-support-join-in-eevblog/

Wish you all the luck you can get!

The following users thanked this post: daveshah

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #697 on: May 09, 2017, 06:53:20 am »
They changed to need login on new firmware, I logged without user and password, on earlier release but now ask for login and password

===============================================
|SIGLENT SDG project
(none) login:

Bastards...

Offline flash2b

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #698 on: May 09, 2017, 10:40:51 am »
MrW0lf was your SDG hacked or still factory ?

Did any other have a problem with 23R3 ?

Online Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #699 on: May 09, 2017, 11:00:35 am »
They changed to need login on new firmware, I logged without user and password, on earlier release but now ask for login and password

|SIGLENT SDG project
(none) login:

Bastards...

Are you sure you need a login?

http://www.siglentamerica.com/prodcut-gjjrj.aspx?id=1364&tid=16&T=2

http://www.siglentamerica.com/gjjrj-xq.aspx?id=5196&tid=16

http://www.siglentamerica.com/USA_website_2014/Firmware&Software/firmware/SDG2000X_V200R001B01D01P23R3EE.rar

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf