Author Topic: The Siglent SDG2042X Thread  (Read 550403 times)

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
Re: The Siglent SDG2042X Thread
« Reply #700 on: May 09, 2017, 11:19:09 am »
Bricking alert!

My unit was running perfectly fine until did the following:

1) Firmware upgrade 22R5 => 23R3, after successful upgrade just continued to use and did following:
2) Used EasyWave to send 8pts wfm, played around with DDS/TrueArb setting etc. Turned unit off while custom wfm was loaded.

Next day unit now shows blank screen after logo. Controls non-responsive. Parameter button is lit. Not recognized as USB device. But LAN shows functional login screen. Do not know user/pass.

:-// Since did 2 things first time (not used EW before) cannot be sure which activity bricked it. My first idea would be delete custom wfm. Maybe loading it at boot bricks it. But cannot get in....

Ordered online from siglent.eu quite a hassle sending it back etc... Since LAN is working maybe there is some trick to resurrect it? Can firmware be upgraded / downgraded over LAN? Reset procedure? Telnet user / pass?

Have you tried just booting with a USB stick with Firmware on it plugged in?

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #701 on: May 09, 2017, 11:26:02 am »
Login to access the instrument with telnet, not to access the firmware

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #702 on: May 09, 2017, 02:11:08 pm »
Login to access the instrument with telnet, not to access the firmware

That was only possible on the old Firmware and he has already upgraded.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline MrW0lf

• Frequent Contributor
    • lab!fyi
« Reply #703 on: May 09, 2017, 03:24:49 pm »
Have you tried just booting with a USB stick with Firmware on it plugged in?

No luck :( FW upgrade works thru Utility menu where need to specify file name.

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #704 on: May 09, 2017, 03:37:31 pm »
Chose USB with rotary button, then Files on USB will show

Offline MrW0lf

• Frequent Contributor
    • lab!fyi
« Reply #705 on: May 09, 2017, 09:11:11 pm »
Chose USB with rotary button, then Files on USB will show

Screen / buttons / USB connection are completely dead... Tomorrow will try send commands over LAN/LXI... maybe it works since Telnet is online.

Offline invzim

• Contributor
« Reply #706 on: May 09, 2017, 09:34:57 pm »
Quite happy with the unit, but after a few weeks it seems like the led's have given up.  I thought at first it was some wonky firmware issue, until I found the LEDTest.

I haven't actually bothered to open the unit up yet to check if there is a loose connector, but it has been stationary on my desk all the time so would be a little odd.

Anyone else experienced this?

Online pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #707 on: May 10, 2017, 12:09:23 am »
Can someone please confirm or deny this noise issue?
I have been following this thread for a very long time, and this is the first time I hear about it.

My perception up to now:
Low noise level and high resolution (16 bit).
Much better performance than any of the Rigol models that use DDS.

It doesn't make sense that Siglent would do all this effort in using a 16 bit D/A converter,
and at the same time screw up the noise levels.

Therefore I am doubtful about the reported noise issues.

I own a SDG2042X and I mus say that i'm a bit disappointed.
I only use it with square waveforms and low to medium frequency. from 100Hz to 50kHz. My issues : the rise time and the noise level.
I use the square wave form to charge a pF capacitor and inject an integrator circuit (jFET input).
The cap is charge during every leading/trailing edge but the noisy plateaus are also affecting my integrator output.
The Rigol DG4062 behaves much better with that respect.

I thought relatively low noise was supposed to be a strong suit for the Siglent SDG 2X series; are you sure it's the SDG that is causing the noise?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #708 on: May 10, 2017, 01:17:50 am »
Quite happy with the unit, but after a few weeks it seems like the led's have given up.  I thought at first it was some wonky firmware issue, until I found the LEDTest.

I haven't actually bothered to open the unit up yet to check if there is a loose connector, but it has been stationary on my desk all the time so would be a little odd.

Anyone else experienced this?
Never heard of failed LED's before.  :-//
If you have had it only a short time from new it will be a warranty repair, please contact your local supplier to start the warranty process.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline fonograph

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #709 on: May 10, 2017, 07:27:13 pm »
What would be good step up from Siglent SDG2000X series? I spend whole day today looking at Keysight and Rohde & Schwarz and I didnt found anything superior to Siglent.You might think thats crazy but I swear I didnt find anything that I would get over Siglent even if I had infinite money.

The problems is all the high end generators are aimed at microwave freqencies,I dont need 40 gigaHertz,also they have low output power around 2v peak to peak and their minimum freqency is many times 9khz or even 100khz .Only thing I found that is like the Siglent  is 33600A Series,but it have only 14bit DAC,the standart memory is 4mg,less than siglent and output power falls rapidly at higher freqencies compared to siglent and it cost 5k+ vs 500 for Siglent ( becose it can be hacked easily )

I looked at Rohde Schwarz stuff,but it was either old stuff with tiny kilosample memory or for me useless microwave stuff with low power output.

I want = high output power,abilily to play low freqencies down to 20hz,low harmonic/inharmonic/intermodulation distortion,low noise,big memory,100mhz bandwidth,modern unit

I dont want = low output power,inability to play lower than 9khz,12bit DAC,60ghz bandwidth,year of release 2005
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 07:38:53 pm by fonograph »

Offline pigrew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #710 on: May 10, 2017, 07:48:32 pm »

What would be good step up from Siglent SDG2000X series? I spend whole day today looking at Keysight and Rohde & Schwarz and I didnt found anything superior to Siglent.You might think thats crazy but I swear I didnt find anything that I would get over Siglent even if I had infinite money.

I want = high output power,abilily to play low freqencies down to 20hz,low harmonic/inharmonic/intermodulation distortion,low noise,big memory,100mhz bandwidth,modern unit

I dont want = low output power,inability to play lower than 9khz,12bit DAC,60ghz bandwidth,year of release 2005

What do you want that the SDG2042X does not provide?

Personally, I like the Tektronix AFG3000 series, though that's because I'm working at around 150MHz.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #711 on: May 10, 2017, 08:36:50 pm »

The problems is all the high end generators are aimed at microwave freqencies,I dont need 40 gigaHertz,also they have low output power around 2v peak to peak and their minimum freqency is many times 9khz or even 100khz .Only thing I found that is like the Siglent  is 33600A Series,but it have only 14bit DAC,the standart memory is 4mg,less than siglent and output power falls rapidly at higher freqencies compared to siglent and it cost 5k+ vs 500 for Siglent ( becose it can be hacked easily )

I looked at Rohde Schwarz stuff,but it was either old stuff with tiny kilosample memory or for me useless microwave stuff with low power output.

Will the Siglent AWG SPA1010 power amp have enough grunt ?
Product page
http://siglentamerica.com/prodcut-fjxx.aspx?fjid=1289&id=1364&tid=16&T=2

Manual
http://www.siglent.com/2014EnglishWebsite/Documents/UserManual/SPA1000_UserManual_UM60010-E01A.pdf
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: fonograph

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #712 on: May 10, 2017, 09:48:41 pm »
5,184 x 3,456 pixels 3,730,076 bytes. I wish my PC and internet had more grunt.  :)
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #713 on: May 10, 2017, 09:55:23 pm »
5,184 x 3,456 pixels 3,730,076 bytes. I wish my PC and internet had more grunt.  :)
Posting linked imagery from Siglent sites doesn't seem to stress the speed of which a page downloads here.  :-//
Sure, if the image file was used........... :scared:

Slow for you guys ?

(I'm on a slow ass connection and very conscious of adding large imagery to posts  :-- )
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #714 on: May 10, 2017, 10:00:05 pm »
"Posting linked imagery from Siglent sites doesn't seem to stress the speed of which a page downloads here."

The image is probably in your browser's cache, 3.6MB should not be a problem for me, but for some reason it was a very slow load - well over a minute.

"I'm on a slow ass connection and very conscious of adding large imagery to posts."
Same here, an occasional one doesn't matter too much.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 10:04:55 pm by StillTrying »
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #715 on: May 10, 2017, 10:04:16 pm »
"Posting linked imagery from Siglent sites doesn't seem to stress the speed of which a page downloads here."

The image is probably in your browser's cache, 3.6MB should not be a problem for me, but for some reason it was a very slow load - well over a minute.
Hmmm, OK ta.
Had a nagging thought about that, makes perfect sense.

Some pic editing needed before posting next time.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #716 on: May 10, 2017, 11:34:20 pm »
The server the image is on is very slow. I'm on 50Mbit/s internet and the image comes in at snail speed.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: StillTrying

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #717 on: May 10, 2017, 11:46:05 pm »
The server the image is on is very slow. I'm on 50Mbit/s internet and the image comes in at snail speed.
Haha, try 1.7Mb/s that mine is.

It's from the US, try the one from the Hamburg site:
http://www.siglenteu.com/prodcut-fjxx.aspx?fjid=1044&id=1115&tid=16&T=2
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline bb1

• Contributor
« Reply #718 on: May 11, 2017, 12:22:18 am »
The SDG2000X waveforms use 16 bit signed values for the samples. The maximum value is 32767, and the minimum value is -32768.
I created short waveform of 15 samples with values increasing from -7 to 7 in steps of one.
I set SDG2000X output amplitude to 20 V. In this case the output waveform should have steps with one step value about 0.3 mV. To see such small steps clearly, I used 10000 averages by TDS684 scope. The results are shown in attached tek_adc-7to7_DDsArb_15ms_ampl20Vpk-pk.png and tek_adc-7to7_trueArb_15ms_ampl20Vpk-pk.png.

One can see that in both DDS and TrueArb modes the output is wrong at the center of the waveform, where is should cross zero (the actual output is larger than zero due to output offset).
My firmware version is 2.01.01.22R5.
Is this bug fixed in the latest SDG2000X firmware ?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #719 on: May 11, 2017, 01:00:36 am »
The SDG2000X waveforms use 16 bit signed values for the samples. The maximum value is 32767, and the minimum value is -32768.
I created short waveform of 15 samples with values increasing from -7 to 7 in steps of one.
I set SDG2000X output amplitude to 20 V. In this case the output waveform should have steps with one step value about 0.3 mV. To see such small steps clearly, I used 10000 averages by TDS684 scope. The results are shown in attached tek_adc-7to7_DDsArb_15ms_ampl20Vpk-pk.png and tek_adc-7to7_trueArb_15ms_ampl20Vpk-pk.png.

One can see that in both DDS and TrueArb modes the output is wrong at the center of the waveform, where is should cross zero (the actual output is larger than zero due to output offset).
Welcome to the forum.

I think they have been......mentioned in 6a in the changelog.
Listed here and FW download link included:
http://siglentamerica.com/gjjrj-xq.aspx?id=5196&tid=15
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #720 on: May 11, 2017, 02:21:04 am »

Welcome to the forum.

I think they have been......mentioned in 6a in the changelog.
Listed here and FW download link included:

If the unit can be successfully updated to the latest firmware please let us know if it corrects the matter in either or both modes.

Offline MrW0lf

• Frequent Contributor
    • lab!fyi
« Reply #721 on: May 11, 2017, 08:11:14 am »
Siglent AWG SPA1010 power amp have enough grunt ?

Similar option I use:
http://www.aimtti.com/product-category/waveform-amplifiers/aim-wa301

Often when find some cool far-out science article theres WA301 attached to DUT. Couldnt resist. Now I feel like real scientist!  8)

Offline Amazing

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #722 on: May 12, 2017, 03:15:51 am »
Is it possible to somehow combine burst and sweep on this unit?

I would like to generate a signal that is quiet for a period of time, and then has a sweep from 10MHz to 40MHz, and then goes quiet again, etc. 

I'm attempting to replicate the results on page 9 of this Keysight PDF:

http://literature.cdn.keysight.com/litweb/pdf/5992-1094EN.pdf?id=2653300

Of course I can't do 300MHz to 900Mhz on the SD2042X, but I think that 10MHz to 40MHz would serve to demonstrate the feature.

Firmware: 2.01.01.17R5

Thanks!

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #723 on: May 12, 2017, 04:43:59 am »
Is it possible to somehow combine burst and sweep on this unit?

I would like to generate a signal that is quiet for a period of time, and then has a sweep from 10MHz to 40MHz, and then goes quiet again, etc. 

I'm attempting to replicate the results on page 9 of this Keysight PDF:

http://literature.cdn.keysight.com/litweb/pdf/5992-1094EN.pdf?id=2653300

Of course I can't do 300MHz to 900Mhz on the SD2042X, but I think that 10MHz to 40MHz would serve to demonstrate the feature.

Firmware: 2.01.01.17R5

Thanks!
You should update the firmware in your unit, 17R5 is an old version now.
23R3 is current and you can see the list of  the last updated and fixed features here:

In the download there will be a list of all versions and what has been added an/or fixed which has been enough over time for Siglent to have released an updated manual very recently:
http://www.siglentamerica.com/USA_website_2014/Documents/UserManual/SDG2000X_UserManual_UM0202X-E02B.pdf

Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline MrW0lf

• Frequent Contributor
    • lab!fyi
« Reply #724 on: May 12, 2017, 08:03:47 am »
23R3 is current and you can see the list of  the last updated and fixed features here:

...make sure you power cycle the unit after fw update... just in case...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf