Author Topic: The Siglent SDG2042X Thread  (Read 550299 times)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: The Siglent SDG2042X Thread
« Reply #825 on: September 01, 2017, 01:25:09 am »
Anyone have a clue why Siglent has not released the new firmware by download?   You would think they would of posted it by now.
One can only suspect the changes in 23R5 are so minor and until further needed tweaks are added there's no point in releasing it. I have no idea of what improvements might be in 23R5.
An example is the very recent FW for their bench DMM's, only released yesterday but the FW file dates from April.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #826 on: September 01, 2017, 10:12:24 am »
Anyone have a clue why Siglent has not released the new firmware by download?   You would think they would of posted it by now.

Why you want it so desperately? :) Is there anything you want to improve?

So far my biggest complains are:

1) Wheel (rotating knob) misses clicks when turned fast

2) It does not react on input when displaying "parameter limit is reached", also the message stays for too long to my taste.

3) The wheel changes step. E.g., I have amplitude set to 1V with 1V step. If I turn it CCW it will set to 0.9V and 0.1V step. Now if I turn it back again it will be 1.0V, but still 0.1V step. I want it either not to change the step at all, or put it back where it was.

Now question: is it safe to short the output? I think so, but I would like to confirm. From specs looks like I can because maximum output current corresponds to short-cirtuit current (taking 50Ohm impedance) at maximum output voltage.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #827 on: September 01, 2017, 01:00:46 pm »

Now question: is it safe to short the output? I think so, but I would like to confirm. From specs looks like I can because maximum output current corresponds to short-cirtuit current (taking 50Ohm impedance) at maximum output voltage.

It reads clearly in data sheet. What confirmation it need. Ohm´s law confirm it. Is it not enough strong confirmation?
There read max current 200mA.
Source internal resistance is 50ohm.
Source maximum Voltage to infinite (Hi-Z) load is 10V.
200mA current can exist only if load resistance is zero.  Some peoples call zero resistance also as "short circuit".
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Online exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #828 on: September 01, 2017, 09:39:17 pm »
Can it drive capacitive load?

What if the cap is not fully discharged? Like, I apply sine on the cap, disconnect it when it's fully charged and then connect again when output is low.

Offline pigrew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #829 on: September 02, 2017, 05:12:23 am »
Can it drive capacitive load?

What if the cap is not fully discharged? Like, I apply sine on the cap, disconnect it when it's fully charged and then connect again when output is low.
It isn't really specified if it does or not.

My feeling is that a capacitive load is OK. One problem could be stability of the output amplifier. However the series 50 ohm likely makes it always stable.

With a large enough capacitor voltage, you could break down dialectics/overload the output transistors and cause serious damage. I think it should be OK to connect a capacitor that is charged to less than 5 volts, or so.

There is an overvoltage protection feature of the generator that might save it from some charged capacitors. The protection is triggered when the output terminal is 4V or 11V (depending on programmed output offset and amplitude)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 05:15:45 am by pigrew »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #830 on: September 02, 2017, 07:09:17 am »
For further info check the SDG2000X User manual:
2.13.10 Overvoltage Protection
If the state is set to ON, overvoltage protection of CH1 and CH2 will take effect once any of the following conditions is met. When overvoltage protection occurs, a message will be displayed and the output is disabled.
-The absolute value of input voltage is higher than 11V±0.5V when the amplitude of the generator is higher than or equal to 3.2Vpp or the DC offset is higher than or equal to |2VDC|.
-The absolute value of input voltage is higher than 4V±0.5V when the amplitude of the generator is lower than 3.2Vpp or the DC offset is lower than |2VDC|.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #831 on: September 03, 2017, 01:09:39 am »
This is perfectly normal for mechanical encoders - the mechanical switches have a maximum rate they can switch at since they need to physically contact between detents.  Optical encoders are of course much faster but tend to be expensive, and it's tough to justify a $50 encoder in a $500 instrument when a $3 one is 90% as good.  It's what you get when designing to a price point...

The following users thanked this post: nugglix

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #832 on: September 04, 2017, 06:20:12 am »
Here I have tested SDG1000X amplitude  flatness between 5MHz - 60MHz. (SDG1000X max)
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sdg1000x-waveform-generators/msg1293685/#msg1293685

It is good to make tests where results are fully comparable due to enough exactly same test setup, even signal cable is same in both tests. This is also important because there is no perfect impedance match and in all cases there is more or less reflections.

For compare here is exactly same setup with SDG2000X.  Sweeps from 5MHz to 120MHz (SDG2000X max) with SDG output set levels +15, +9, +3  and -9dBm.

Edit Add: SA horizontal scale linear. SDG frequency sweep linear.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 04:25:44 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Online exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #833 on: September 04, 2017, 09:10:09 pm »
Thanks for the test! Is horizontal axis linear or logarithmic? I can't figure out...

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #834 on: September 04, 2017, 09:32:21 pm »
Thanks for the test! Is horizontal axis linear or logarithmic? I can't figure out...
11.5 MHz/div
120-5=115(Span)/2=57.5(Center frequency)/5div(half display)=11.5
For this test Start and Stop only will be set and then CF will be whatever it is.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #835 on: September 05, 2017, 03:33:27 am »

SDG linear, SA linear. Also my clock run linear and my calendar run linear.

Offline mark03

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #836 on: September 06, 2017, 05:02:54 am »
This is perfectly normal for mechanical encoders - the mechanical switches have a maximum rate they can switch at since they need to physically contact between detents.

I am 99+% certain this has nothing to do with the encoder hardware, and everything to do with software, e.g. reading the encoder from Linux userspace.  Surely the encoder is capable of better than 2 Hz updates, which is close to the observed limit on my 2042X.

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #837 on: September 06, 2017, 11:16:47 pm »
Surely the encoder is capable of better than 2 Hz updates, which is close to the observed limit on my 2042X.
Interesting.  I just checked, and counted 48 steps in 10 seconds, which is just under 5Hz.  I get about the same with or without the beep enabled, so at least that has nothing to do with it.  From my experience working with inexpensive Bourne mechanical encoders, they can get up to maybe 10-20Hz, but that depends on how many positions/detents they have.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #838 on: September 08, 2017, 02:00:32 am »
Just spotted new firmware:
Version: V2.01.01.23R7
14.8 Mb
http://siglentamerica.com/gjjrj-xq.aspx?id=6418&tid=15

Changelog
1.Supported system recovery from U-disk.
2.Fixed a bug which may cause the generator report a false over voltage alarm when start-up.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: McBryce, CustomEngineerer, nugglix, MrW0lf

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #839 on: September 08, 2017, 07:23:59 am »
Downloaded, will try tonight. My unit regularly suffers from number 2: bug which may cause the generator report a false over voltage alarm when start-up.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline MrW0lf

• Frequent Contributor
    • lab!fyi
« Reply #840 on: September 08, 2017, 07:25:41 am »
2.Fixed a bug which may cause the generator report a false over voltage alarm when start-up.[/i]

Yes! It was FALSE alarm!!! Now I can sleep again :phew: Got that when booting lab up and gen connected to device that costs 2x of my current car and would be hurt by actual alarm trigger voltage.

Offline flash2b

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #841 on: September 09, 2017, 08:37:42 am »
Hope that janekivi will create a password friendly version of the new firmware soon.

Offline fitch

• Contributor
« Reply #842 on: September 10, 2017, 03:41:38 am »
Does the new firmware leave the 120MHz hack intact?

Offline eurofox

• Supporter
    • Music
« Reply #843 on: September 10, 2017, 07:42:52 am »
Does the new firmware leave the 120MHz hack intact?

Yep  :-+
eurofox

Offline Plasmateur

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #844 on: September 17, 2017, 12:56:01 am »
So.....still unable to trigger both channels at the same time with a software trigger.

Lame.

Offline pigrew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #845 on: September 17, 2017, 02:29:57 am »
I'd be interested in starting to reimplement the firmware. I'm sure that it would take much more time than I'm imagining, but I think that the generator is currently greatly software-limited.

However, I don't think I have the equipment needed to be able to reverse-engineer the pin-mappings of the FPGA and MCU (without destroying my generator). There are no schematics available, are there? Or ways to get the mappings from the firmware images? I'd imagine many of the pins (like ram and the display) would be fixed by the ICs themselves.

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #846 on: September 23, 2017, 07:42:46 pm »
Ok! Custom telnet password file is here as requested:
SDG2000_eevblog_23R7.zip

SDG1000X 30Mhz was hacked to 60Mhz as easily, I heard.

The following users thanked this post: [IDC]Dragon, Hagrid, CustomEngineerer, Emo, flash2b, Dwaine, jpep, ian.ameline

Offline jpep

• Contributor
« Reply #847 on: October 02, 2017, 08:44:06 am »
Ok! Custom telnet password file is here as requested:
SDG2000_eevblog_23R7.zip

SDG1000X 30Mhz was hacked to 60Mhz as easily, I heard.

Sorry, but this is not clear to me... Is this the latest firmware update file with telnet password removed or what?

Offline flash2b

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #848 on: October 02, 2017, 12:10:18 pm »
It is the same firmware with a known password.

The following users thanked this post: jpep

Offline TT_ZX

« Reply #849 on: October 04, 2017, 11:06:16 am »
Has anyone else got an RS Pro branded version of this AWG?

Mine arrived today and the firmware has an RS Pro splash screen on boot.  Firmware is 2.01.01.21R2 and hardware is 02-01-00-31-00.  I was wondering if I could load the Siglent firmware on it without bricking it.  Telnet is password protected.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf