Author Topic: The Siglent SDG2042X Thread  (Read 550404 times)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: The Siglent SDG2042X Thread
« Reply #850 on: October 04, 2017, 06:34:40 pm »
Has anyone else got an RS Pro branded version of this AWG?

Mine arrived today and the firmware has an RS Pro splash screen on boot.  Firmware is 2.01.01.21R2 and hardware is 02-01-00-31-00.  I was wondering if I could load the Siglent firmware on it without bricking it.  Telnet is password protected.
Welcome to the forum.

RS are pretty cheeky for selling them at NZ $1,022.04 plus GST.
http://nz.rs-online.com/web/p/waveform-generators/1236460/
The core firmware will be Siglent based with only the splash screen and branding different.
What version firmware is already installed ?

Check here to see if it matches the latest from Siglent:
http://siglentamerica.com/support_software_15

And BTW, without the proper configuration file that allows the Siglent firmware to be installed I wouldn't attempt loading it.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 06:59:16 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline TT_ZX

« Reply #851 on: October 04, 2017, 10:47:05 pm »
It looks like it is running version P21R2 | Published?2016-06-17.

Because I can't telnet in I can't poke around for the configuration file.  I read earlier in this (or another) thread that there is an internal serial port.  I may have a look at this some time.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #852 on: October 04, 2017, 11:41:58 pm »
It looks like it is running version P21R2 | Published?2016-06-17.

Because I can't telnet in I can't poke around for the configuration file.  I read earlier in this (or another) thread that there is an internal serial port.  I may have a look at this some time.
The FW makes no difference to the hackability of these units AFAIK. There have been a # of FW releases since hacking was discovered near the beginning of this thread.

WRT the config file, there might be one attached with the FW releases, it's not in the internal SW but it's necessary to be installed before FW to change the unit's configuration from RS to Siglent.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline jpep

• Contributor
« Reply #853 on: October 10, 2017, 10:58:45 am »
It is the same firmware with a known password.

When you say known password you mean the old combo root user with blank password?

EDIT: Maybe root / eevblog ?

EDIT2: Yes, the login credentials are root / eevblog

It works perfect. Thanks @janekivi !!!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 01:32:43 pm by jpep »

Offline Hrvoje-CRO

• Contributor
« Reply #854 on: November 03, 2017, 02:36:26 pm »
Well after weeks of searching for a good function generator finally i've decided on SDG2042X. Affordable, good for education/testing/experimenting. The best choice for all of us who cannot afford an 33522A :-+ >:D

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #855 on: December 21, 2017, 10:02:32 am »
Is there a way for the generator to force an external reference (and never change to the internal reference)?

Currently, the frequency reference is switched to internal (with no indication on the GUI) when the frequency reference is turned off. It's too easy to continue using it thinking that the frequency is still locked (and yielding bad data).

Also, I'm worried that when it defaults to internal reference, it is outputting 10 MHz on it's reference output which is directly connected to another instrument's 10 MHz out. Having two instruments outputting 10 MHz into eachother can't be a good thing. I don't know if the hardware supports it, but it'd be nice to tell it to disable the 10MHz output while using the internal reference.

There are a few parameters (like reference mode, screensaver, language, number format, and beeper) that I'd really like to always have saved (irrespective of the "power-on setting"). Maybe as a work-around, there could be an option to load a particular saved configuration on startup(so the choices would be factory default, particular configuration, or last configuration)?
Did you ever get this sorted as it is listed as being fixed in the FW version 21R2 changelog.
http://www.siglenteu.com/gjjrj-xq.aspx?id=2426&tid=15

Latest version is 23R7

Someone please confirm Ext 10 MHz frequency reference settings are being held after reboot.

So.....still unable to trigger both channels at the same time with a software trigger.

Lame.
I'll look at this in detail in the next few days. Sorry you've had to wait this long.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline pigrew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #856 on: December 21, 2017, 03:46:21 pm »
Is there a way for the generator to force an external reference (and never change to the internal reference)?

Currently, the frequency reference is switched to internal (with no indication on the GUI) when the frequency reference is turned off. It's too easy to continue using it thinking that the frequency is still locked (and yielding bad data).

Also, I'm worried that when it defaults to internal reference, it is outputting 10 MHz on it's reference output which is directly connected to another instrument's 10 MHz out. Having two instruments outputting 10 MHz into eachother can't be a good thing. I don't know if the hardware supports it, but it'd be nice to tell it to disable the 10MHz output while using the internal reference.

There are a few parameters (like reference mode, screensaver, language, number format, and beeper) that I'd really like to always have saved (irrespective of the "power-on setting"). Maybe as a work-around, there could be an option to load a particular saved configuration on startup(so the choices would be factory default, particular configuration, or last configuration)?
Did you ever get this sorted as it is listed as being fixed in the FW version 21R2 changelog.
http://www.siglenteu.com/gjjrj-xq.aspx?id=2426&tid=15

Latest version is 23R7

Someone please confirm Ext 10 MHz frequency reference settings are being held after reboot.

I'm using a slightly older firmware, 23R3. It does hold the external reference setting past reboot, but only if there is an external reference connected. Without a reference, it will default to the internal reference with no indication.

This change does not fulfill my request. I would appreciate an indicator on the display to show if it's using the external reference. Also, in the external reference mode, it shouldn't default back to the internal reference; it should display an error and not be able to output any signal. The concern is that depending on the order that I turn on my reference and signal generator, different things will happen. If I turn them on the SDG before the reference, I'll have two outputs connected together (a bad thing). There seems to be no way to switch to external reference mode without connecting two outputs together.

-Nathan
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 04:02:25 pm by pigrew »

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #857 on: December 21, 2017, 03:56:25 pm »
I have 23R7 on mine and it remembers the clock source across power cycles, at least front power switch cycles; not sure if it does if you unplug mains.  However, if you ever unplug or it loses the external clock it switches to the internal - and even worse, tries to output it on the clock input.  Yes, it's totally retarded.  Mine is attached to a dedicated Spectracom tap for this purpose, don't want it to destroy my Tbolt. Fortunately the 12V offset taps are cheap on ebay, I think I paid $15 ea for them and they're bomb proof.   There is no indicator for the clock source and the only way to find out is to check the button state under Utility->System->Clock or such.  I checked only minutes ago and already forgot where it's buried.  So you can leave it running and go do something else, like fix a firmware bug or something, then come back and have no idea it decided there is no external clock and switched to the internal, outputting it on the clock input.  For this reason, if you intend to use it with an external reference I would recommend against buying it until they fix the firmware to make the setting PERMANENT.  As in, store it to EEPROM and never ever try to output anything on that input.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 03:57:57 pm by bson »

The following users thanked this post: tautech, kj7e

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #858 on: December 22, 2017, 07:51:03 am »
Guys, while researching dual channel SCPI enabling for Plasmateur I found there's a new SDG Programming Guide released 2017-11-14:
http://www.siglentamerica.com/USA_website_2014/Documents/Program_Material/SDG_ProgrammingGuide_PG_E03B.pdf
What commands could still be added ? And why ?

Take a mo to think how your request can be best described so the factory has no trouble understanding it.
TIA

Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: CustomEngineerer

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #859 on: December 26, 2017, 06:59:06 pm »
Pigrew & bson
Ext Ref

For when no external frequency reference is available have the display inform the user only and NOT automatically connect the internal frequency reference and have the display show a new display indicator that External frequency reference is selected.

I asked for a new screen indicator displaying Int OR Ext and Reference source selection as manual only, no automatic reversion to Internal Ref.

Reply from Tech support:
We will support these two functions in future version. I can not give an accurate time now.

Plasmateur
For the both channels to be enabled simultaneously with one SCPI command:

We do not have this command. This requirement requires internal discussion of the product manager , the current can not give me result.  They need to analyze it.

Current command, we can only set the channel on one by one. The command format as below:
C1:OUTP ON;   C2:OUTP ON;

So we're definitely on their radar with a simultaneous channel enable and like you, I think it's a simple command thats inclusion has been overlooked. Fingers crossed they see it need to be added.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: DIPLover

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #860 on: December 26, 2017, 08:28:03 pm »
By the way, for long test runs using SCPI, there's a command to query the clock source, "ROSC?", so whenever taking a measurement check this first and switch it back with "ROSC EXT" if it has flaked out.  Then check again after a measurement to make sure it didn't switch over in the middle, and repeat the measurement if it did.    So, it's kinda workable...

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #861 on: December 26, 2017, 08:45:04 pm »
By the way, for long test runs using SCPI, there's a command to query the clock source, "ROSC?", so whenever taking a measurement check this first and switch it back with "ROSC EXT" if it has flaked out.  Then check again after a measurement to make sure it didn't switch over in the middle, and repeat the measurement if it did.    So, it's kinda workable...
Sure.

But the GUI can and should be improved.
Main OSD to be very clear what the REF CLK is; INTernal or EXTernal, which I think would satisfy most users needs and also disable auto revert to INTernal. (User setting EXTernal as permanent)

Not hidden in a menu.

I add these comments above to seek further refinements as what gets posted here is bought to Siglents attention so they can be clear on what you guys want and need.
Thanks all.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: pigrew

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #862 on: December 30, 2017, 05:27:20 pm »
Has anyone else got an RS Pro branded version of this AWG?

Mine arrived today and the firmware has an RS Pro splash screen on boot.  Firmware is 2.01.01.21R2 and hardware is 02-01-00-31-00.  I was wondering if I could load the Siglent firmware on it without bricking it.  Telnet is password protected.

Poking around the u-boot.img file, it seems to me that there is some commands/scripts that indicate that it's possible to USB load or tftp a "logo.bmp" and change the boot logo image without packing or changing the .ADS/.CFG update file. I think this feature also exists in other Siglent equipments.

BTW, a good lazy license generator is changing the "0123456789" in the .app file to one's S/N, upload it and let it generate your personalized official license.  ;)

Offline pigrew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #863 on: December 30, 2017, 08:35:56 pm »

I add these comments above to seek further refinements as what gets posted here is bought to Siglents attention so they can be clear on what you guys want and need.
Thanks all.

I look forward to the update for locking external-reference mode, as it'll make things more convenient.

Recently, I've mostly been using the front-panel UI, so I have little "real-world" feedback on the programming interface, and these things are not currently a priority for me. I'm using firmware 2.01.01.23R3. The below questions are the things that I feel should be answered in the manual, but I don't require a response in this forum (unless you have questions about the questions themselves).

My below comments are based on the "SDG programming manual" listed under the SDG6000X section of the Siglent site. The SDG2042X manual seems to be the old revision?

Partially responding to bson, what's "normal" for other instruments is the notion of a status byte, with an ability to set a bit if errors happen. Preferably, when the reference becomes unlocked, it would add an error to the error queue, which would then propagate to the status byte, which could be polled by the controlling computer. This would detect momentary losses of reference.

The SDG2042X manual doesn't document *STB, *SRE, or any of those, so I don't know if this is usable.  The index (at the end) of the programming manual lists many of the 488 *[ABC] commands, but they are not described. The manual doesn't contain page numbers in the index, either.

Another undocumented command is how to read the error queue. If I remember correctly, it's SYSTEM:ERROR?, but I could be remembering wrong. I think that there are also calibration commands (used by the downloadable calibration scripts) which are also undocumented. Can "SYSTEM:" be abbreviated "SYS:" or "SYST":"?

Cn:WVDT seems to imply that waveform data can be uploaded via USBTMC, though it doesn't describe the format used. Is it a binary block? integers separated by commas, etc? It says on the 2000X, {Mn} is unnecessary. Exactly what does that mean? I think that the "Command syntax" shown is "format1", but "format2" isn't described?

Another little quirk of the USBTMC interface is that it does not support the "initiate_clear" command. USB488 specification says that "This USBTMC specification requires that all devices with a USBTMC interface or USBTMC subclass interface must support the INITIATE_CLEAR control endpoint request.", but it instead returns a USB error when I try to execute a clear. A clear is necessary at program startup in order to clear the I/O buffers. I'm in the habit of sending a clear every time I connect to a 488 device, but in this case I had to remove it for the SDG2042X.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #864 on: December 30, 2017, 11:07:30 pm »

My below comments are based on the "SDG programming manual" listed under the SDG6000X section of the Siglent site. The SDG2042X manual seems to be the old revision?

If you're using the US site it's in evolution to this new format seen and in time all the other Siglent sites will look this way. There have been errors and omissions with the US site as we'd expect in rolling out a new website format.
The US site has always been the fastest for most of us to access and there's no login required like for the Chinese website in order to download stuff.

All that said, lately the EU site has been the easiest to get stuff from and the old format is still used like for the Chinese one:
http://www.siglenteu.com/index.aspx

ALL manuals from time to time undergo revisions and it pays to check for new versions BUT it's currently just not that simple.  :-//
If we look at the Programming manual for SDG2kX and in the Documents page:
http://www.siglenteu.com/prodcut-wd.aspx?id=1115&tid=16&T=2
You'll see a version dated 2016-04-12
BUT in the Download Programming material page:
http://www.siglenteu.com/down.aspx?id=28
The new version is 2017-11-14.
This one is current and applies to all SDG series and models.

It's not an ideal situation to have to hunt out a latest version but with the websites going to be rolled into the new format like the US, now there's bound to be problems and Siglent need to watch this carefully to ensure manuals are easy to find and current.
The same goes for firmware and the 'by date' format that been used is very useful to me and I'm dismayed to see the full historical list of firmware updates is no longer listed on the US site.  :--
One only hopes that the factory web manager adds the full historical list on the new web layout

pigrew
You should update to the new version if only for the piece of mind that this offers:
1.Supported system recovery from U-disk.

If for some dumb reason your SDG2kX fails to boot someday you won't have to go to the trouble trying to restore it like Dave did when his SDG2122X froze unexpectedly recently.

Same applies to all SDG2kX owners that are holding back with FW updates because there's on 2 items in the latest FW changelog so why bother, I'll do it next time when there's greater advantage.  ::)

C'mon guys and gals, get your gear updated so it will at least perform the same as new units from the factory.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: pigrew

Offline pigrew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #865 on: December 31, 2017, 12:48:51 am »

One only hopes that the factory web manager adds the full historical list on the new web layout

Even worse, the USA webpage doesn't even list the version number. I have to click download and have it start downloading (EDIT: in order to see which version it is).

pigrew
You should update to the new version if only for the piece of mind that this offers:

Ok, ok... I just updated it.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 01:46:45 am by pigrew »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #866 on: January 12, 2018, 12:03:02 pm »
pigrew

Ok, ok... I just updated it.
Had a PM from a zero poster today with a boot frozen SDG2042X.
Luckily he reckons it has the latest FW installed so we can get some experience with U disk recovery.

I asked Siglent for it a few hrs back and they sent me a link to download it. It's a zipped 20 Mb folder that contains all the necessary files and a PDF with explicit instructions AND it only works with firmware 2.01.01.23R7 or later (not released as yet).
Anyway, the process to get this U disk recovery file is simple enough but I'm not sure it's for general publication so I shouldn't post the link until I'm told by Siglent I can, sorry. If you really need it, PM me.

So if Mvlc is watching some feedback on how the process went will be great.
TIA

Edit
He PM'ed me and the recovery was completely successful......so we know it works.  :)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 10:49:44 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: mvlc

Offline mvlc

« Reply #867 on: January 13, 2018, 08:05:13 am »
Suddenly my SDG2042X (firmware 23R7) kept showing the Siglent Logo after startup without any response.
I searched the internet and EEVBlog forum and found that it's possible to do "system recovery from U-disk" with the latest firmware 23R7.
I contacted tautech and Siglent.eu and they send me the recovery files.

The procedure:

1. Use an empty 4GB (<8GB) USB-stick (FAT32) and copy the received files in the root directory.
2. Insert the USB in the SDG2042X and switch the SDG2042X on.
3. Wait about 2 minutes, every now and then the USB-LED blinks.
4. The GUI appears again. :)

Thanks to tautech and Siglent.eu for the good support.

Offline smarteebit

• Contributor
« Reply #868 on: January 13, 2018, 01:12:35 pm »

I asked Siglent for it a few hrs back and they sent me a link to download it. It's a zipped 20 Mb folder that contains all the necessary files and a PDF with explicit instructions AND it only works with firmware 2.01.01.23R7 or later (not released as yet).

Is the firmware 2.01.01.23R7 released? Does that mean if I want my SDG2042X supporting recover from a U disk, I must update its firmware to 2.01.01.23R7 or later? Thx.

Offline mvlc

« Reply #869 on: January 13, 2018, 03:49:56 pm »
Firmware 2.01.01.23R7 is available on the Siglent website.
http://www.siglentamerica.com/USA_website_2014/Firmware&Software/firmware/SDG2000X_2.01.01.23R7.zip
Yes, this latest version 2.01.01.23R7 must be on the device to enable USB system recovery.

Offline jasonbrent

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #870 on: February 10, 2018, 11:31:40 pm »
My 42X just arrived.... and is now a 120Mhz version, thank you... for those of you on MacOS, how are you interacting with the siglent SCPI over the LAN? I'm still going through the thread, but hoping someone has a pointer. Like someone else, I expected to just be able to telnet to a port and send commands like on the rigol.

Offline amham

« Reply #871 on: February 13, 2018, 09:44:00 pm »
Does this hack still work for current late 2017 production of the SDG2042X?

The following users thanked this post: bsas

Offline bsas

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #872 on: February 18, 2018, 02:08:59 am »

Same question, but now I am on 2018 :)

Offline Safar

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #873 on: February 18, 2018, 09:45:28 am »

Same question, but now I am on 2018 :)
I think you understand that this hack depends of FW but not HW. If FW version still the same as described in all GEN topics then no problem. If new one then it need to make some test. Anyway you can download modified FW with known telnet account and try to flash gen and then makes some file  changes. Hope that Siglent will leave all structures on same place in new versions.

Offline TechnoTroll

• Contributor
« Reply #874 on: February 27, 2018, 11:46:12 pm »
So, if I buy a new SDG2042X and download the latest 23R7 firmware that has the revised telnet password, what are the steps to get 120 MHz please?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf