Author Topic: The Siglent SDG2042X Thread  (Read 550398 times)

Offline chipss

• Contributor
Re: The Siglent SDG2042X Thread
« Reply #900 on: March 13, 2018, 09:09:02 am »
In Transit: On Time
Scheduled Delivery Date:
03/16/2018 by End of Day

Wooohoo

Offline chipss

• Contributor
« Reply #901 on: March 17, 2018, 10:55:40 am »
  no joy with telnet, dhcp greys out if turned on, all zeros, and will lock the whole generator up if left on that screen, read the whole thread,  checked all the boxes, installed lower fw, no joy:-//

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #902 on: March 17, 2018, 12:11:15 pm »
  no joy with telnet, dhcp greys out if turned on, all zeros, and will lock the whole generator up if left on that screen, read the whole thread,  checked all the boxes, installed lower fw, no joy:-//

Have you tried not using DHCP, and just giving it a static IP?

The following users thanked this post: chipss

Offline chipss

• Contributor
« Reply #903 on: March 17, 2018, 08:42:23 pm »
Yes , under Windows 10 and 7 get “network error connection refused” , under Mac , it just times out,
Not sure what I am doing wrong?

Offline Safar

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #904 on: March 17, 2018, 09:04:21 pm »
Yes , under Windows 10 and 7 get “network error connection refused” , under Mac , it just times out,
For use DHCP in any device you should have DHCP server in connected ethernet segment. Usually all devices have client only, so devices can't get address if there are no server. If you connect device directly to PC you can set it up manually in both sides (PC and device) in one subnet:
192.168.0.10/255.255.255.0
192.168.0.11/255.255.255.0
for example

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #905 on: March 17, 2018, 09:13:34 pm »
I've had this problem so now I just ensure I have a LAN switch between PC and AWG on a router served network and ensure AWG DHCP is set to ON.

Edit
Correction added to give more clarity as explained below.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 09:51:48 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #906 on: March 17, 2018, 09:45:06 pm »
I've had this problem so now I just ensure I have a LAN switch between PC and AWG and ensure DHCP is set to ON.

Sorry, but this info is misleading. An ethernet switch is the basis for a LAN, but I've never seen one that included a DHCP server. If something like that actually exists - which I cannot rule out of course - then it's certainly not a standard feature.

Routers on the other hand usually have an integrated DHCP server.

BillB and Safar have given the right pointers and I can confirm that it's absolute hassle free to connect an SDG-X to the LAN, either over DHCP or with manual address assignment (which I prefer anyway, because I like to have static IP addresses for certain parties in my LAN).

The following users thanked this post: tautech, chipss

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #907 on: March 17, 2018, 10:10:34 pm »
Yeah, the network config for this is straightforward.  Try a different port on the switch, make sure you are using a known good cable, and check the port lights on the switch/AWG for activity.  Try pinging the static IP you've configured.

Offline chipss

• Contributor
« Reply #908 on: March 17, 2018, 10:16:13 pm »
Safari thank you,love you brother!
 I am living proof even an idiot can like me can
Get things done with a little help, client and server not the same thing.
 :scared:  ended up just setting an ip and was assigned with dhcp server for Windows,
Not sure I could explain this to anyone, but after trying many ip # , that got me exactly what is was after.
Sporting a new, and very chromatic serial #!

Offline Plasmateur

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #909 on: March 18, 2018, 05:11:50 am »
Also, is there any way to do a phase locked pulsed sweep with this?

Just curious: What is a "pulsed sweep"? And what should it be phase-locked with?

I apologize if I am using the incorrect terminology.

I'm using a pulse delay generator to trigger the SDG2042X. Their 10MHz clocks are tied together.

An example of what I need is.

No signal coming from the SDG2042X.

SDG2042X is triggered by pulse delay generator.

SDG2042X begins to output a sinusoidal signal at X frequency starting a 0 phase.

The frequency of the sinusoidal signal then linearly increases or decreases over Z time, ending at Y frequency.

If there is a better way to communicate this, please educate me!

Offline Plasmateur

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #910 on: March 18, 2018, 05:15:57 am »
Did Siglent ever figure out how to get both channels to trigger from a software trigger?

I must have been asking this question for over a year now.

From a Feb FW changelog for SDG5000 models:
http://siglenteu.com/gjjrj-xq.aspx?id=4059&tid=15
d.Manual trigger cannot trigger both channels simultaneously

Not actually what you've asked for but since the current FW is from 2017-09-07 it should be getting close to being added. I've pointed them a couple of times to your request.
Next week I'll ask now things are progressing.

Thanks! As for the other question. Do think they would be able add this functionality?

Sweep + Burst, phase locked.

Example,

I am able to sweep from 1MHz to 10MHz over some set amount of time, and that sweep is triggered?
I tried doing this with a SDG1032X today with partial success by controlling the sweep from the Aux input triggered from the 2nd channel by using a continuous pulse with a short duty cycle to activate a burst.

The Sweep needs be set to external source however while the sweep was doing its thing correctly and at the prescribed intervals, between the sweeps was a continuous fixed frequency sine wave.  :-//
Maybe I just cocked something up.

Would 'Gated Sweep' be a better description of what you'd like ?

I'll check it out. Thanks!

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #911 on: March 18, 2018, 05:48:28 am »
Did Siglent ever figure out how to get both channels to trigger from a software trigger?

I must have been asking this question for over a year now.

From a Feb FW changelog for SDG5000 models:
http://siglenteu.com/gjjrj-xq.aspx?id=4059&tid=15
d.Manual trigger cannot trigger both channels simultaneously

Not actually what you've asked for but since the current FW is from 2017-09-07 it should be getting close to being added. I've pointed them a couple of times to your request.
Next week I'll ask now things are progressing.

Thanks! As for the other question. Do think they would be able add this functionality?

Sweep + Burst, phase locked.

Example,

I am able to sweep from 1MHz to 10MHz over some set amount of time, and that sweep is triggered?
I tried doing this with a SDG1032X today with partial success by controlling the sweep from the Aux input triggered from the 2nd channel by using a continuous pulse with a short duty cycle to activate a burst.

The Sweep needs be set to external source however while the sweep was doing its thing correctly and at the prescribed intervals, between the sweeps was a continuous fixed frequency sine wave.  :-//
Maybe I just cocked something up.

Would 'Gated Sweep' be a better description of what you'd like ?

I'll check it out. Thanks!
This is what I've sent to Siglent:

Following on from a further request for added functionality for SDG2kX (see here)
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/the-siglent-sdg2042x-thread/msg1445269/#msg1445269

I attempted to investigate if a triggered sweep burst is possible in SDG1032X…….
It is, but not quite as I think it should be. (see attached screenshot)

Test setup.
Ch2: Pulse, 1us, 4V, repetition rate 50ms,  output to Aux IN
Ch1: Sweep, External Source, 500Hz-5KHz, Duration 10ms, 4V, output to scope

We can see there is a continuous sine wave between sweeps when instead I would expect 0V no waveform between sweep events.
Is there another method to create strings or bursts of triggered single sweep waveforms ?

That's not hard to do but I don't think it's as I expected or even right.
I've not heard back from Tech support yet.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 08:15:13 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #912 on: March 18, 2018, 08:07:45 am »

Just curious: What is a "pulsed sweep"? And what should it be phase-locked with?

I'm using a pulse delay generator to trigger the SDG2042X. Their 10MHz clocks are tied together.

SDG2042X begins to output a sinusoidal signal at X frequency starting a 0 phase.

The frequency of the sinusoidal signal then linearly increases or decreases over Z time, ending at Y frequency.

What you describe is an externally triggered and gated sweep. The SDG-X can do both, sweep and gate – but not at the same time :(

Maybe Siglent should reconsider which operating modes can be active in parallel and which one really need to be mutually exclusive.

Some combinations of Modulation and Sweep exclude each other for obvious reasons, but we could still have a frequency swept amplitude modulated signal for instance.

Modulation/Sweep + Burst/Gate should be perfectly possible to have active at the same time.

You want a gated sweep from 1-10MHz, if I got that right. This is currently not possible.

There is one scenario where we might be able to work around this limitation. For a linear sweep with very low start frequency, we could use a high-pass filter to replace the gate. For instance, if we want a sweep from 1-100Hz, we could actually make it from 1uHz (basically DC) to 100Hz instead and would get this:

SDG-X_Gated_Sweep_Subst
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 01:39:07 pm by Performa01 »

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #913 on: March 18, 2018, 01:55:44 pm »
This is a good candidate for AWG. Create a frequency burst/sweep as AW and use triggered Burst..
It is a little pedestrian way, but would work. It depends if PC software (or built in in a SIGGEN) can create such AWG waveform easily.
Or you could create it in something/somewhere else and import CSV.. Some script, Matlab/Scilab/Octave....
Regards,

Sinisa

Offline sixtimesseven

• Frequent Contributor
    • Flickr
« Reply #914 on: March 20, 2018, 05:54:00 pm »
I don't know if programing arb. waveforms via ethernet came up so far. But being too lazy to rtfm I decided to write Siglent support for an explanation and they pointed me to this blog post and PDF: https://www.siglentamerica.com/application-note/16-bit-step-arb-sdgx/ which I found really helpfull.

Offline Plasmateur

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #915 on: March 20, 2018, 07:39:59 pm »

What you describe is an externally triggered and gated sweep. The SDG-X can do both, sweep and gate – but not at the same time :(

Maybe Siglent should reconsider which operating modes can be active in parallel and which one really need to be mutually exclusive.

Some combinations of Modulation and Sweep exclude each other for obvious reasons, but we could still have a frequency swept amplitude modulated signal for instance.

Modulation/Sweep + Burst/Gate should be perfectly possible to have active at the same time.

You want a gated sweep from 1-10MHz, if I got that right. This is currently not possible.

There is one scenario where we might be able to work around this limitation. For a linear sweep with very low start frequency, we could use a high-pass filter to replace the gate. For instance, if we want a sweep from 1-100Hz, we could actually make it from 1uHz (basically DC) to 100Hz instead and would get this:

SDG-X_Gated_Sweep_Subst

Thank you for clarifying what I was after!  :phew:  :-+

Offline Plasmateur

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #916 on: March 20, 2018, 07:48:17 pm »
This is a good candidate for AWG. Create a frequency burst/sweep as AW and use triggered Burst..
It is a little pedestrian way, but would work. It depends if PC software (or built in in a SIGGEN) can create such AWG waveform easily.
Or you could create it in something/somewhere else and import CSV.. Some script, Matlab/Scilab/Octave....
Regards,

Sinisa

I attempted to use the AWG to synthesize two mixed sinwaves. When I put the signal through a N9030A Agilent spectrum analyzer. It wasn't the cleanest.

Offline sixtimesseven

• Frequent Contributor
    • Flickr
« Reply #917 on: March 21, 2018, 10:16:20 am »
Which DDS chip does Siglent use in the sdg2042x?
Please excuse the question, I couldn't find the part number via google of forum search.

Offline flash2b

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #918 on: March 21, 2018, 11:26:17 am »
In the SDG2000X series the main DDS chip is a AD9122 16bit 1230MSa/s http://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/AD9122.pdf
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 11:28:46 am by flash2b »

The following users thanked this post: sixtimesseven

Offline genesilvernail

• Contributor
« Reply #919 on: March 22, 2018, 04:00:40 pm »
New here.. so here's goes my ignorance.

Why when  setting sub unit dBm levels, i.e. x.xn does the vernier resort go coarse. Very witchy and bothersome when trying to achieve a precise ref level. Attenuator min increment??

PS also agree on locking or guarding user desired units magnitude.

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #920 on: April 02, 2018, 10:02:46 pm »
Is there a way for the generator to force an external reference (and never change to the internal reference)?

Currently, the frequency reference is switched to internal (with no indication on the GUI) when the frequency reference is turned off. It's too easy to continue using it thinking that the frequency is still locked (and yielding bad data).

Also, I'm worried that when it defaults to internal reference, it is outputting 10 MHz on it's reference output which is directly connected to another instrument's 10 MHz out. Having two instruments outputting 10 MHz into eachother can't be a good thing. I don't know if the hardware supports it, but it'd be nice to tell it to disable the 10MHz output while using the internal reference.

There are a few parameters (like reference mode, screensaver, language, number format, and beeper) that I'd really like to always have saved (irrespective of the "power-on setting"). Maybe as a work-around, there could be an option to load a particular saved configuration on startup(so the choices would be factory default, particular configuration, or last configuration)?
Did you ever get this sorted as it is listed as being fixed in the FW version 21R2 changelog.
http://www.siglenteu.com/gjjrj-xq.aspx?id=2426&tid=15

Latest version is 23R7

Someone please confirm Ext 10 MHz frequency reference settings are being held after reboot.

So.....still unable to trigger both channels at the same time with a software trigger.

Lame.
I'll look at this in detail in the next few days. Sorry you've had to wait this long.

I have 23R7 firmware and it will not hold the external clock setting with our without an external reference applied.  I know this was said to be addressed about 3 firmware updates ago, but it appears there is still some work to be done here.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #921 on: April 02, 2018, 10:11:33 pm »
I have 23R7 firmware and it will not hold the external clock setting with our without an external reference applied.  I know this was said to be addressed about 3 firmware updates ago, but it appears there is still some work to be done here.
Yes there is and it's in progress.
Last FW was Nov 17 and since then it's been further discussed here and following few posts:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/the-siglent-sdg2042x-thread/msg1384209/#msg1384209

Siglent see the need to get this right and are addressing it and in good time I see this being added to all Siglent AWG's that support Ext clock.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 10:13:06 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: kj7e

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #922 on: April 03, 2018, 12:16:29 am »
Just got a good deal on a used one ;D

Offline harrywgaul

« Reply #923 on: April 05, 2018, 06:57:38 pm »

Cn:WVDT seems to imply that waveform data can be uploaded via USBTMC, though it doesn't describe the format used. Is it a binary block? integers separated by commas, etc?

Waveform data can be uploaded via USBTMC.  I have used LabVIEW successfully.  I am happy to share my LabVIEW VI file with anyone who would like it.  Just PM me.  The format is sort of binary, sort of hex, and sort of ASCII.  Basically, the values are 16 bit and range from -32768 to 32767.  The values are expressed in a hexadecimal format such as 7FFF for the decimal value of 32767.  The hexadecimal format must be modified from the usual big endian format to little endian format.  For example, a big endian value of 7FFF must swap the first byte (FF) and second byte (7F) to obtain FF7F.  As an added complication, negative numbers are expressed as two's complement prior to changing from big endian to little endian.  To continue with the example of sending FF7F, these four characters are then sent to the SDG2000X as ASCII (8-bit) string characters.  It took me a while to figure out the LabVIEW code but it turned out to be surprisingly easy in LabVIEW.

Offline Gixy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #924 on: April 17, 2018, 09:14:18 pm »
Hello,
Just received mine yesterday, upgraded in a minute (thx Janekivi!), then started to experiment all functions, impressive. But when I tried to play with the two chanels locked, I found something which seems at first abnormal: leaving the phase at 0°, the two signals are supposed to be in phase, and guess what, they are'nt. After ome measurement, I found that there is a constant time shift of 2.8ns between them, which leads to a phase deviation from roughly 0° below 1MHz but up to 120° at 120MHz. Playing with the phase parameter, you can adjust the signals to whatever phase deviation you want, but for that you need an oscilloscope, as the 2.8ns is not only function of the frequency, but also of the amplitude (the less the amplitude, the less the time shift). Here bellow some oscilloscope display captures.
Can one of you guys confirm this behaviour as a feature and not an hardware bug of my unit? (I also tried with same results chanels coupling, chanel copy and eqphase functions)
Thanks to all
Denis
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 09:17:21 pm by Gixy »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf