Author Topic: The Siglent SDG2042X Thread  (Read 561160 times)

Offline MrW0lf

• Frequent Contributor
    • lab!fyi
Re: The Siglent SDG2042X Thread
« Reply #1000 on: October 01, 2018, 02:28:41 pm »
Noticed phase angle assuming wrong value with dissimilar waveforms. Ch1=square, Ch2=sine. Shift is set to -45° on Ch1, result is ~-55° instead. When switching Ch1 to sine or Arb/DDS square shift assumes correct value. State file and screenshot of result attached. Latest fw.

Edit: Should you ever need sharper rise than default square Arb/DDS one will do it:
Default: 0.35/9.6ns~=36.5MHz
Arb/DDS: 0.35/5.5ns~=63.6MHz

Edit2: Arb/DDS just had favourable setting :( When set 90° get ~86.5°. Screenshot attached. Possibly this has some technical justification.

Edit3: Small unrelated annoyance. When switching CH1<=>CH2 screens it will always switch Frequency|Period to last used on other screen. So if want fiddle only with freq on CH1 and with period on CH2 it's quite a hassle.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 05:37:25 pm by MrW0lf »

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1001 on: October 04, 2018, 09:05:37 pm »

The following users thanked this post: petert

Offline MotoDan

• Contributor
« Reply #1002 on: October 05, 2018, 04:46:55 pm »
Recently bought an SDG2042X and am really impressed so far. Does anyone know of a VI control for these generators? I'd like to be able to do basic control over the instrument via PC.

Thanks!

Offline JDubU

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1003 on: October 05, 2018, 05:35:32 pm »
MotoDan,

I have not used a Labview VI, but I have used Python to control (and calibrate) my SDG2042X.

There's an example of using Labview starting on page 64 of the Siglent SDG programming manual:
http://www.siglentamerica.com/USA_website_2014/Documents/Program_Material/SDG_Programming_Guide.pdf
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 05:38:04 pm by JDubU »

Offline MotoDan

• Contributor
« Reply #1004 on: October 05, 2018, 07:55:01 pm »
Thanks for the info JDubU. What I'm really after is a Windows GUI that comes close to matching the SDG's front panel. Just need a way to change settings via my PC which is located away from my rack of instruments. I use a similar program (M9700) with my Maynuo DC Load.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1005 on: October 05, 2018, 08:05:23 pm »
Thanks for the info JDubU. What I'm really after is a Windows GUI that comes close to matching the SDG's front panel. Just need a way to change settings via my PC which is located away from my rack of instruments. I use a similar program (M9700) with my Maynuo DC Load.
The closest you'll get IIRC is form within the EasyWave software from Siglent. Not sure if there's a virtual panel for the AWG's like there is for the scopes though, I can check for you later.
Now, with EasyWave you need to install NIVISA Runtime at the least to provide the correct drivers for PC connectivity......be sure to do this first before you connect SDG to a Windows PC otherwise Windows will think it knows best and then install the wrong USB driver.  ::)
Let us know how you go as I can check this in full later.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline commongrounder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1006 on: October 05, 2018, 08:35:45 pm »
tautech I have EasyWave installed for my SDG1000 arb gen, and unfortunately, it does not have a virtual remote control panel for the gen (However, I don’t know about how it might work with other models). It does the wave creation and editing, and lets you save locally or upload to the gen (as well as download any of the arb or built in waveforms from the gen). A remote panel would be a great feature, for sure.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline MotoDan

• Contributor
« Reply #1007 on: October 05, 2018, 08:44:22 pm »
I have EasyWave, but it is only for generating, storing, and recalling waveforms. Surely someone offers a virtual instrument program for the SDG's.

Offline MrW0lf

• Frequent Contributor
    • lab!fyi
« Reply #1008 on: October 09, 2018, 10:09:16 am »
Found the cause for phase error. At max allowed freq of 25MHz sine-square error is ~45° and it will scale eg absolute offset is ~5ns. Just in case checked at 500kHz also and indeed: 45° for sine-sine and 45.9° for sine-square.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 10:20:14 am by MrW0lf »

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Plasmateur

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1009 on: November 02, 2018, 03:46:38 am »
Hey tautech,

Do you know if Siglent was ever able to get this this to trigger both channels at the same time with a software trigger?

I also purchased the SDG6000 series for my lab, and some guys have been pretty impressed by the value it offers.

Do you know if Siglent will be able to make these units capable of being triggered to do a burst/sweep? That would be super sweet.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1010 on: November 02, 2018, 04:38:30 am »
Hey tautech,

Do you know if Siglent was ever able to get this this to trigger both channels at the same time with a software trigger?

I also purchased the SDG6000 series for my lab, and some guys have been pretty impressed by the value it offers.

Do you know if Siglent will be able to make these units capable of being triggered to do a burst/sweep? That would be super sweet.
Have you checked with the latest firmware ?
IIRC tech support said they would implement it but couldn't say when.
Not all changes/bugs are detailed in the changelog so I suggest you check with a unit......I haven't got one unpacked ATM.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline adamgreig

• Contributor
    • Adam Greig
« Reply #1011 on: November 10, 2018, 04:57:15 pm »
I've just unpacked my SDG2042X after a few months of storage and while it powers up OK, none of the front panel buttons work!

The touchscreen still functions so I can turn the outputs on/off and the unit is clearly not frozen up, but I can't use the buttons or knob so can't adjust any parameters or get into the system menu etc. The light-up buttons all flash at startup and  the Parameter button is illuminated thereafter, so I think there's still a working connecting somehow, just the button inputs are being ignored.

Firmware 2.01.01.23R7.

Anyone have any ideas on how to recover it? It was working fine before I packed it up...

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1012 on: November 10, 2018, 05:24:37 pm »
Anyone have any ideas on how to recover it? It was working fine before I packed it up...

Humidity...   Let it warm up and/or place a lamp next to the buttons to speed up.

Offline adamgreig

• Contributor
    • Adam Greig
« Reply #1013 on: November 10, 2018, 05:27:30 pm »
Thanks, I'll leave it on and keep trying. It's been stored indoors in a warm room though, so I wouldn't expect it to be too bad.

Offline krzychosz

« Reply #1014 on: December 07, 2018, 05:16:55 pm »
Hi There,

I was looking for this file (SDG2000_eevblog_23R7.zip) and seems that all previously posted links are broken.
Could you please upload it again?

Offline sixtimesseven

• Frequent Contributor
    • Flickr
« Reply #1015 on: December 14, 2018, 02:37:19 pm »
I was trying to load ARBW data via visa (USB/Ethernet/GPIB) to my SDG2000 and got a bit stuck.
After asking Siglent support they sent me the attached demo script.

Nice support from them for my hacked device ;D

Offline colorado.rob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1016 on: December 21, 2018, 02:42:58 am »
Is there any simple way that I can make a screen copy on internal or USB memory for my Siglent SDG2042X ? On my Siglent SDM3055 there is an option to do a screen copy to a USB stick but this is missing on the SDG2042X. My Rigol DS2102A and DP832A also support making screen copy to USB stick.

This was asked two years ago. I did not see a response from Siglent on this.  I was in the middle of harping on this when, on a lark, I grabbed my SDS screenshot code and put my SDG hostname in.  Well... see for yourself.

$ ~/sds_scdp.py -o test.png sdg2122x

I don't see this feature documented in the SDG programming guide.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 02:44:54 am by colorado.rob »

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #1017 on: December 21, 2018, 09:01:28 am »
The scopes have a similar SCDP command, its documented in the SDS2000 programming guide,
If you want help finding undocumented SCPI commands, send me the system application and I'll take a look. (don't own the device, but not hard to find in the file)

Offline Calvin

• Regular Contributor
    • Calvin´s audio page
« Reply #1018 on: December 21, 2018, 03:26:20 pm »
Hi,

maybe it has been reported earlier in this thread already but unfortunately I couldn´t find a ´search in this thread´ function.
What I like about my SDG2042X besides it beeing a great generator is that I can use it for curve tracing of small signal transistors  :-+
As it offers two channels one can easily and quickly generate the Ramp resp. Staircase waveforms required.
I think it should also be possible to test power devices too in that I take a dc-capable power amplifier to boost the Ramp signal to the required voltage and current levels.
A simple Dual output lab-supply could then power the amp.
The supply is also useful to evaluate the Ic over Vbe curves ... supplying a constant voltage to the transistor´s collector and feeding the basis with a ramp signal.
In any case my old Philips PM3267 draws beautiful curves in a smashin´ GreenLantern green  ;) .... the new SDS2104X-E DSO isn´t as good in that ... as probabely all DSOs.

regards
Calvin

..... it builds character!

The following users thanked this post: exe

Offline colorado.rob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1019 on: December 21, 2018, 07:03:45 pm »
Just for completeness, I checked and the same SCDP (screendump) script from above works for my SDM3065X and SSA3021X.  I have a Microsoft Natural keyboard with 5 programmable hotkeys on the top.  I have them now each mapped to grab screenshots of my SDS2204X, SDG2122X, SDM3065X and SSA3021X respectively.  Just need one more piece of kit to fill out all 5 buttons.  If Siglent's electronic load is anything to write home about, that may well be it.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1020 on: December 21, 2018, 11:02:34 pm »
Just for completeness, I checked and the same SCDP (screendump) script from above works for my SDM3065X and SSA3021X.  I have a Microsoft Natural keyboard with 5 programmable hotkeys on the top.  I have them now each mapped to grab screenshots of my SDS2204X, SDG2122X, SDM3065X and SSA3021X respectively.  Just need one more piece of kit to fill out all 5 buttons.  If Siglent's electronic load is anything to write home about, that may well be it.
Been pumping for info on the E-load but zip being offered and zip on the Chinese website.  :(

Nice job on the hot keys.  :-+
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline flash2b

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1021 on: December 22, 2018, 08:31:43 am »
Hi,

maybe it has been reported earlier in this thread already but unfortunately I couldn´t find a ´search in this thread´ function.
What I like about my SDG2042X besides it beeing a great generator is that I can use it for curve tracing of small signal transistors  :-+
As it offers two channels one can easily and quickly generate the Ramp resp. Staircase waveforms required.

I already reported this in May 2018: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/the-siglent-sdg2042x-thread/msg1558246/#msg1558246

« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 08:34:03 am by flash2b »

Offline Calvin

• Regular Contributor
    • Calvin´s audio page
« Reply #1022 on: December 22, 2018, 12:52:40 pm »
Hi,

then the credit´s all Yours  :-+
Jeulin never heard of that one .... though it´s only 50m to France from my place ... but the blue looks are certainly fine  ;)

regards
Calvin
..... it builds character!

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1023 on: December 23, 2018, 10:42:27 am »

Now that's the best "TEA" excuse I've heard in a long time... "I had to buy another meter, there was an unused programmable hotkey on my PC's keyboard" :D

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1024 on: December 23, 2018, 11:00:05 am »
Now that's the best "TEA" excuse I've heard in a long time... "I had to buy another meter, there was an unused programmable hotkey on my PC's keyboard" :D

If he replaces it for a gaming keyboard then he better do some house upgrading also.  ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf