Author Topic: The Siglent SDG2042X Thread  (Read 550311 times)

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
SDG2042X bug? Glitch on other channel when switching a channel on/off
« Reply #1150 on: August 11, 2019, 04:42:43 pm »
I ran into an annoying behavior of my SDG2042X. I believe it's a bug:

When I switch the output of channel 1 ON, while channel 2 is already ON, there is a 6 ms interruption of the channel 2 output. See the attached screenshot, showing channel 1 on top and channel 2 below.

The blackout seems to always last approx. 6 ms, independent of the frequency settings. The same glitch happens on channel 1 when channel 2 is switched ON. On the other hand, switching a channel OFF does not have this side effect. [Edit: It does, see below.] When I first observed this, I had channel coupling activated (fixed frequency ratio), but the glitch also occurs without the coupling.

Is this a known behavior? Is there a workaround? (Yes, plugging/unplugging the BNC instead of switching the channel does help...  ;)) My firmware version is 2.01.01.23R8, hardware version 02-02-00-35-00. The SDG has been "upgraded" to SDG2122X specs.

Thanks for any hints!

EDIT: Hang on, there is also a problem when switching a channel OFF! It's just different from what I had expected, hence I did not set up the scope trigger right to see what is going on. See the second attachment: Even more annoying, since channel 1 goes into an undefined state for 6ms before it actually switches OFF, and there is a brief dropout on channel 2.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 05:50:08 pm by ebastler »

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
Re: The Siglent SDG2042X Thread
« Reply #1151 on: August 14, 2019, 11:59:02 am »
There's a lot of traffic in the TE section, and topics drop back to page two pretty quickly... So may I give this one a little bump? (Just once, promised!)

Have others observed the glitch upon channel switching which I describe in the post above? Is there a fix or workaround?
Thanks!

Offline JDubU

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1152 on: August 14, 2019, 01:44:42 pm »
I've confirmed your results.  Seems like it would need a firmware fix from Siglent to correct it.

The following users thanked this post: ebastler

Online TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1153 on: August 15, 2019, 02:34:09 pm »
I could also replicate this behavior with my SDG6000X. Channel-switching appears to affect the non-switched channel only in phase coupled mode, if the channels run independently, I couldn't find any distortion / dropouts on the non-switched channel. From a logical point of view, this pausing shouldn't be necessary, neither when disable nor when enabling the other channel.

Enabling and disabling channels, especially if the waveform has a DC offset, is quite ugly since the AWG appears to be programmed to output a (Vmax + Vmin)/2 DC signal while the output disconnection relay is toggled. Especially while switching on, this will produce some ugly bouncing.

In case of switching off, I think the better solution would be to simply toggle the output relay to disconnect the output. It shouldn't be necessary to output a DC signal before.

Switching on is more troublesome due to the relay bounce. Definitely the best way would be to measure the (idle) voltage on the output BNC, adjust the AWG to output exactly this measured DC voltage, enable the relay, wait for the bounce to pass and then enable the signal. This would ensure that no current is flowing while the relay is closed. But I'm not sure if the generators are equipped with an ADC on the outputs.

Otherwise, the switch-on potential should be made configurable by the user to be at least either (Vmax + Vmin)/2 or 0V.

Cheers,
Thomas

Online NoisyBoy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1154 on: August 17, 2019, 06:40:02 am »
I tried a few of the links for the 1.17R5 firmware, it appears that this version is no longer available for download from Siglent's website.  Will someone kindly share a copy of the firmware?  It is much appreciated.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1155 on: August 17, 2019, 08:35:59 am »
I tried a few of the links for the 1.17R5 firmware, it appears that this version is no longer available for download from Siglent's website.  Will someone kindly share a copy of the firmware?  It is much appreciated.
:-//
Current Version: V2.01.01.23R8 http://old.siglentamerica.com/USA_website_2014/Firmware&Software/firmware/SDG2000X_2.01.01.23R8_EN.zip

Version 1.17R5 from 2016
http://www.siglentamerica.com/USA_website_2014/Firmware&Software/firmware/SDG2000X-P17R5.rar

FYI all firmware versions from the beginning of time:
http://www.siglent.com/ENs/gjjrj.aspx?id=15
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: nugglix, NoisyBoy

Online NoisyBoy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1156 on: August 17, 2019, 02:09:46 pm »
Hi Tautech, thanks for your quick reply.  I tried those links already, unfortunately when you actually click on the download button on those pages, it comes back with “Sorry, but the page you were trying to view does not exist.”

I hope someone has a saved copy that he/she can share.  Thanks in advance.

Current Version: V2.01.01.23R8 http://old.siglentamerica.com/USA_website_2014/Firmware&Software/firmware/SDG2000X_2.01.01.23R8_EN.zip

Version 1.17R5 from 2016
http://www.siglentamerica.com/USA_website_2014/Firmware&Software/firmware/SDG2000X-P17R5.rar

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1157 on: August 17, 2019, 08:13:07 pm »
Hi Tautech, thanks for your quick reply.  I tried those links already, unfortunately when you actually click on the download button on those pages, it comes back with “Sorry, but the page you were trying to view does not exist.”

I hope someone has a saved copy that he/she can share.  Thanks in advance.

Version 1.17R5 from 2016

OK, first time I've experienced a busted link from the Siglent FW homepage.  >:(
I'll report it !

I have 17R5 and can email it to you so PM your email to me.
It's 12.6 MB.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: NoisyBoy

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1158 on: August 17, 2019, 08:22:08 pm »

The following users thanked this post: tautech, NoisyBoy

Online NoisyBoy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1159 on: August 18, 2019, 12:39:17 am »
Hi tautech and tv84,

First of all, thank you so much for your kind assistance, I was able to download the firmware from the link tv84 provided.

tv84, this release is required in order for the bandwidth "patch" as it allows SSH to work in order to do the vi edit. 

Again, your gracious helping hands are much appreciated.

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1160 on: August 18, 2019, 12:37:11 pm »
this release is required in order for the bandwidth "patch" as it allows SSH to work in order to do the vi edit. 

It looks like you don't know this:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-ads-firmware-file-format/msg1870091/#msg1870091

The following users thanked this post: NoisyBoy

Online NoisyBoy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1161 on: August 18, 2019, 04:32:26 pm »
Hey tv84,

No, I have not read that topic before, very helpful.  Now I have another tool in my toolbelt, thank you again for all the information you and others have shared, you folks rock!

this release is required in order for the bandwidth "patch" as it allows SSH to work in order to do the vi edit. 

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-ads-firmware-file-format/msg1870091/#msg1870091

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1162 on: September 11, 2019, 07:39:44 pm »
Dropping this here from another thread:

SDG2000X Firmware - 2.01.01.35R3B1
14.7 MB

I noticed Siglent just released a new firmware update to their website today, there is a significant list of changes with the latest version:
https://siglentna.com/service-and-support/firmware-software/waveform-generators/#sdg2000x-series

1. Changed the amplitude strategy of AM modulation: The carrier stays fixed at the amplitude, regardless of the modulation setting.
2. Increased the upper limit of Harmonics number from 10 to 16.
3. Supported Multi-Device Synchronization.
4. Supported Up followed by Down Sweep mode in Linear sweep (no change for Log sweep).
5. Added an icon to indicate clock source is internal or external.
Internal: External: External and the clock is lost:
6. Changed the clock switch strategy: When the clock source is set to External and no actual external clock signal is being received, the clock source will not switch to Internal automatically but the clock icon will indicate that external clock is lost
7. Supported specifying Arb type by remote control when the modulating waveform is Arb.
8. Optimized the UI of selecting built-in arbs
9. Supported changing the unit of amplitude without any amplitude change by long pressing the "Amplitude" softkey.
10. Added "User" option under "PowerOn Setting".
11. Added "Normal" as a new UI color style.
12. Added memory space information in Store/Recall UI.
13. Optimized response of the universal knob
14. Added indicator for double function of the soft keys =>
15. Removed the warning message when parameter is set to a value beyond the limit
16. Fixed several bugs
a) [2017/04/07-92573] Digit changes when setting delay of Pulse by the knob
b) Amplitude unit “dBm” is not remembered after a reboot

I found item 10 to be very useful, it let you pick whichever profile you want instead of defaulting to Default or Last. 
Item 12 gives you an idea of internal storage usage before you run out of space.
Item 14 gives the item selected a much clearer indication.
I drove the unit with a GPSDO, so item 5 and 6 are welcoming additions.

Lastly, update process is painless, it preserves the enhancements you made to the SDG. 
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: Gixy, CustomEngineerer, nugglix, flash2b, Dwaine, colorado.rob, bicycleguy

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #1163 on: September 12, 2019, 04:52:50 am »
FW: 2.01.01.35R3B1
1. Changed the amplitude strategy of AM modulation: The carrier stays fixed at the amplitude, regardless of the modulation setting.

Finally, after many years,  this small but important improvement.
No more confusion between using the conventional RF generator and sometimes using the SDG2000X for similar things with  carrier alone (CW) or AM mod carrier.

Carrier level is now what you set and it keep this carrier level when user turn AM mod on/off and independent of modulation depth. Now it works just like conventional RF generator  :-+

(SDG1000X get this improvement around year ago)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 04:56:29 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

The following users thanked this post: billfernandez

Offline colorado.rob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1164 on: September 13, 2019, 02:59:37 am »
Awesome.  Just confirmed that #7 works as expected.  That was my request.

Code: [Select]
C1:MDWV DSBAM,MDSP,ARB,NAME,arbfile

That does the right thing now.  I stayed up past my bedtime to make sure that works.

Also really happy about the external clock handling.  Don't have time to test that out.

Offline flash2b

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1165 on: September 13, 2019, 09:07:39 am »

I like to understand how this works. Will the password be reset after applying this ADS towards the SDG ? Or will the password be set standard 'known'  :D value ?

Can you apply the ADS to any version of the SDG firmware (including patched ones) ?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 09:09:39 am by flash2b »

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1166 on: September 13, 2019, 10:58:44 am »
Will the password be reset after applying this ADS towards the SDG ? Or will the password be set standard 'known'  :D value ?

Can you apply the ADS to any version of the SDG firmware (including patched ones) ?

No. No. Yes.

The following users thanked this post: flash2b

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1167 on: September 13, 2019, 03:25:20 pm »
15. Removed the warning message when parameter is set to a value beyond the limit
This is good to see, no more hacking. Next we hope to have that password set by factory.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1168 on: September 13, 2019, 03:48:00 pm »
This is good to see, no more hacking. Next we hope to have that password set by factory.

Umm, could you elaborate please? Not sure I understand your point. Did you previously hack the generator to remove the annoying error message? Or does Siglent's removal of the error message now disable hacking? (But why would that be "good to see"?) And what do you mean by "have that password set by factory"?

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1169 on: September 13, 2019, 07:31:24 pm »
Umm, could you elaborate please?

@janekivi,  :D

@eblaster,
yes, janekivi has in the past removed that msg. He's also suggesting that Rigol starts including the "forum's password" to spare everyone from the troubles of using other telnet methods.

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1170 on: September 13, 2019, 09:01:44 pm »
This is good to see, no more hacking (needed here). Next we hope to have that password set by factory
(then no more hacking needed here too).

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1171 on: September 13, 2019, 09:27:58 pm »
I can make new file but probably they have disabled telnet.
There is possible to use older firmware with telnet or telnet opening files

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #1172 on: September 14, 2019, 02:27:29 am »
6. Changed the clock switch strategy: When the clock source is set to External and no actual external clock signal is being received, the clock source will not switch to Internal automatically but the clock icon will indicate that external clock is lost
:-+ :-+ :-+

Super!!!

Offline Gixy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1173 on: September 15, 2019, 04:01:39 pm »
FW: 2.01.01.35R3B1

Finally, after many years,  this small but important improvement.
No more confusion between using the conventional RF generator and sometimes using the SDG2000X for similar things with  carrier alone (CW) or AM mod carrier.

Carrier level is now what you set and it keep this carrier level when user turn AM mod on/off and independent of modulation depth. Now it works just like conventional RF generator  :-+

(SDG1000X get this improvement around year ago)

Sorry, but I don't understand: AM means Amplitude Modulation, right? How can it be kept at a given level?
I've downloaded the new release and the output signal amplitude is varying as expected with the modulation depth, from the initial level up to 120% of this level (eg. from 1Vpp to 2.4Vpp). Can you please explain what is the difference between the previous strategy and the new one? Thanks 

Online TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1174 on: September 15, 2019, 08:42:55 pm »
The average output power / RMS amplitude stays constant. I.e. if you connect the AWG to an (RF) power meter, the displayed level stays constant, regardless if you enable or disable AM or change the modulation depth. That's how a "proper" RF signal generator is supposed to work.

Cheers,
Thomas

The following users thanked this post: Gixy

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf