Author Topic: The Siglent SDG2042X Thread  (Read 550356 times)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: The Siglent SDG2042X Thread
« Reply #350 on: April 27, 2016, 01:01:15 am »
I'm pretty sure siglent.eu is just a Siglent reseller, not actually Siglents website. The address nctnico posted is Siglents official European website.
Correct.
They trade as JR Special Electronics and are listed on the Siglent EU Website as an authorised dealer:
http://www.siglenteu.com/howtobuy.aspx

Their principal is member Smoking who really needs to add a disclaimer to his profile
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline ghulands

• Contributor
« Reply #351 on: April 28, 2016, 02:45:59 am »
Received my unit about 20 mins ago. Hack complete. All 120 Mhz of it!

It would have been good if DHCP was enabled by default.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #352 on: April 28, 2016, 03:57:19 am »
Received my unit about 20 mins ago. Hack complete. All 120 Mhz of it!

It would have been good if DHCP was enabled by default.
;D

By all means consider writing a "Guide for Dummies" for those less knowledgable than yourself.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline ghulands

• Contributor
« Reply #353 on: April 28, 2016, 05:05:07 am »
Guide for Dummies

1. Plug in ethernet cable and turn on unit
2. Press Utility -> Page 1/2 -> Interface -> LAN Setup -> DHCP ON
3. On you computer telnet (Windows use Putty, OS X and Linux can just use telnet on the CLI) to the IP Address that's displayed. (If you need to manually specify the port it's 23)
4. mount -o remount,rw ubi2_0 /usr/bin/siglent/firmdata0
5. cp /usr/bin/siglent/firmdata0/NSP_system_info.xml /usr/bin/siglent/firmdata0/NSP_system_info.xml.orig
6. vi /usr/bin/siglent/firmdata0/NSP_system_info.xml
7. Use the down arrow to navigate to the line which has '<license><bandwidth_update_license>xxxx</bandwidth_update_license></license>'
8. Press dd to delete the line. Press ESC. Type :wq then hit enter (write quit)
9. Turn unit off and on again

The following users thanked this post: MartyMacGyver, tautech, max666, Steps, Photoman, tangram, Saronni, Thermodynamics

Offline uncle_bob

• Supporter
« Reply #354 on: April 29, 2016, 12:12:20 am »
Guide for Dummies

3. On you computer telnet (Windows use Putty, OS X and Linux can just use telnet on the CLI) to the IP Address that's displayed. (If you need to manually specify the port it's 23)
5. cp /usr/bin/siglent/firmdata0/NSP_system_info.xml /usr/bin/siglent/firmdata0/NSP_system_info.xml.orig
7. Use the down arrow to navigate to the line which has '<license><bandwidth_update_license>xxxx</bandwidth_update_license></license>'

Hi

For those with tired old fingers do a cd /usr/bin/siglent/firmdata0 after step 4. Next two become:

5. cp NSP_system_info.xml NSP_system_info.xml.orig
6. vi NSP_system_info.xml

Saves a lot of typing ...probably cuts out at least 10 seconds :) Potentially a bit more if you are prone to fat fingering command line stuff. The cd will puke if you give it a bad directory name so you will get feedback there quickly.

Bob

The following users thanked this post: ebclr, Steps

Offline ghulands

• Contributor
« Reply #355 on: April 29, 2016, 12:17:42 am »
Guide for Dummies

Hi

For those with tired old fingers do a cd /usr/bin/siglent/firmdata0 after step 4. Next two become:

5. cp NSP_system_info.xml NSP_system_info.xml.orig
6. vi NSP_system_info.xml

Saves a lot of typing ...probably cuts out at least 10 seconds :) Potentially a bit more if you are prone to fat fingering command line stuff. The cd will puke if you give it a bad directory name so you will get feedback there quickly.

Bob

Fingers? Whatcha' talking 'bout Willis? Copy-Paste-Enter!

The following users thanked this post: Ellis_Beatty

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #356 on: May 04, 2016, 05:47:23 pm »
Just got my SDG2042x yesterday, nice piece, I absolutely like the ability to generate large peak amplitudes at high frequency, compared to the Rigol at least...

attached is a smile from my scope, which is happy too!

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #358 on: May 05, 2016, 07:56:49 am »
Chinese sellers read the EEVblog!
;D
But they've never unpacked a SDG2042X  |O

Accessoires Included:
Siglent SDG2042X Arbitrary Function Generator
User Manual
Guarantee Card
CD (including EasyWave 1.0 computer software system)
Power Cord
USB Cable
Quick Start Guide

BNC cable missing from list ^^^  ::)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #359 on: May 05, 2016, 08:12:47 am »
Chinese sellers read the EEVblog!
;D
But they've never unpacked a SDG2042X  |O

Accessoires Included:
Siglent SDG2042X Arbitrary Function Generator
User Manual
Guarantee Card
CD (including EasyWave 1.0 computer software system)
Power Cord
USB Cable
Quick Start Guide

BNC cable missing from list ^^^  ::)

Calibration certificate is missing.
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #360 on: May 07, 2016, 03:58:40 am »
Another bug... If I set it to output an AM signal with exactly a 25.0MHz carrier it tells me the upper limit is 25MHz, then sets it to 25MHz. :)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #361 on: May 07, 2016, 04:34:40 am »
Another bug... If I set it to output an AM signal with exactly a 25.0MHz carrier it tells me the upper limit is 25MHz, then sets it to 25MHz. :)
What about 24.999999 MHz, any warning then?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #362 on: May 07, 2016, 04:49:48 am »
Now I tried again and couldn't reproduce it.  Turns out the following steps reproduce it:

1. Set to AM, 25MHz carrier
2. Try to increase it past this with the dial... this will produce a 25MHz limit message
3. Set to AM, 25MHz carrier... and get the same 25MHz limit message

24.999999MHz in step 3 won't reproduce it.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #363 on: May 07, 2016, 04:54:53 am »
Now I tried again and couldn't reproduce it.  Turns out the following steps reproduce it:

1. Set to AM, 25MHz carrier
2. Try to increase it past this with the dial... this will produce a 25MHz limit message
3. Set to AM, 25MHz carrier... and get the same 25MHz limit message

24.999999MHz in step 3 won't reproduce it.
Of course, it's 1 Hz below the upper limit.

Working as expected IMO or do you still call it a bug.  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #364 on: May 07, 2016, 09:04:18 am »
Definitely a bug.  When set to a valid value, which 25MHz is, it should just set it and not show any message indicating it couldn't be set.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #365 on: May 07, 2016, 09:24:39 am »
Definitely a bug.  When set to a valid value, which 25MHz is, it should just set it and not show any message indicating it couldn't be set.
Hmmm, other Siglent AWG's show this same behaviour too and if it was to be changed/fixed what about displaying Maximum Frequency n MHz ?

Or a better message.....?

Re-read.  :phew:

Gotcha, minor bug.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 09:28:05 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Timpert

• Contributor
« Reply #366 on: May 16, 2016, 08:12:49 pm »
I had just opened up my new SDG2042X to see if it would be possible to give it isolated outputs (with a little add-on board containing the data isolators and a DC/DC converter). But the first thing that caught my eye was this: the DAC markings had been ground off! Why would they do that? The DAC part number is already a public secret for a little over half a year, so I see no point in this. There are no other parts with erased markings in my device, just the DAC has been "treated". Curious... 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 08:14:22 pm by Timpert »

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #367 on: May 16, 2016, 08:56:41 pm »
I had just opened up my new SDG2042X to see if it would be possible to give it isolated outputs (with a little add-on board containing the data isolators and a DC/DC converter). But the first thing that caught my eye was this: the DAC markings had been ground off! Why would they do that? The DAC part number is already a public secret for a little over half a year, so I see no point in this. There are no other parts with erased markings in my device, just the DAC has been "treated". Curious...

But you do not now know what is exactly in your equipment. We only know what it have been in unit where from this old information is.

User need  know what is coming out from BNC not exactly how its is done.

They have learn this from Rigol and many others. World is full of parts who want use all available information for do they own application or for other purposes, even source of components may be sensitive information in some competition situations as we well know from example mobile phone industry etc.

Of course other possible is to do it like  Keysight (HP, Agilent) or Tektronix tens of years and use own customer part number on chip.
Chinese need learn this western normal practice and no one caught.

If I develop and made these I will hide much much more.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 09:21:50 pm by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline Timpert

• Contributor
« Reply #368 on: May 17, 2016, 08:18:02 am »
Have you never run into a situation where you wanted to know why exactly your equipment was behaving the way it did? I do, frankly, quite often. For the average consumer, there usually is no need to know what's going on inside a piece of gear. In an electronics R&D lab, things may be different. For this market, selling "black boxes" is not the way to go according to many (including myself). And the manufacturer may benefit from this as well, see "Project Yaigol" where a design goof-up is being fixed in the clock generator of a Rigol scope. Someone else is doing Rigol's homework. Free of charge!

What are you afraid of?

The difference with A brand test gear is that, if you run into an issue, you can talk to a support engineer or probably even a development engineer for those special cases who will help you and provide you with the necessary technical information to solve your problem. With the B brands, you usually don't get that kind of support (which is to be expected, given the price of the box). Instead, you need to rely on community support on forums like this one, and from people who have taken the time to dive into the instrument and figure out what happens under the bonnet. This community support is what helps sell the devices as well, so IMHO any manufacturer who relies on community support (which Siglent clearly does), is shooting himself in the foot by witholding technical information and resorting to silly measures like rubbing off a part number.

To make a long story short: rubbing off a part number raises the "dodgy!" flag. Just don't do that, because it makes you go down a rung on the credibility ladder. IMHO of course.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 08:25:36 am by Timpert »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #369 on: May 17, 2016, 08:38:18 am »
The major brands have been removing part numbers for a long time. They even stamp their own parts number on jelly bean parts like a TL074 opamp.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #370 on: May 17, 2016, 09:31:49 am »
Have you never run into a situation where you wanted to know why exactly your equipment was behaving the way it did?

Yes, and lot of.
I have only around 50 years of experience with many kind of electronics due to radio and other electronics  hobby, due to long time industrial automation and industrial electronics including power electronics and electric repair, maintenance, modifications and previously also designing some electronics. Also with these all,  "some amount" of experience with many kind of T&M equipments for field and R&D use. Also repairing them, also calibrating them and also doing some modifications for some very special purposes. Also something previously with electronic equipments manufacturing.  Also I know something about problems in China and how challenging environment it is with tens of thousends "car carage" or even more manufacturing copy cats and A to D level "factories"  etc.  (there is my 2nd home)
And I'm not yet ready for retire. If I get to decide that.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #372 on: May 17, 2016, 09:43:17 am »

What are you afraid of?

You have never developed-designed and manufactured anything intelligent and no one have after then stolen your ready work?

These are not "open <sh---cencored>"
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 09:54:56 am by rf-loop »

Offline pxl

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #373 on: May 17, 2016, 10:52:31 am »

What are you afraid of?

You have never developed-designed and manufactured anything intelligent and no one have after then stolen your ready work?

These are not "open <sh---cencored>"

Yeah, just see the blatant ripoff of the Agilent multimeter copied by Siglent :P
And this is the new consistent design of the "X" series, like the SDG2042X, which is great in one hand (looks and feels high quality), but on the other hand  :palm:

Offline Timpert

• Contributor
« Reply #374 on: May 17, 2016, 11:21:10 am »

In this specific case, just by tracing the digital inputs, analog outputs, counting the pins, checking the package and key requirements, the DAC can probably be uniquely identified, with a continuity bleeper as your only measurement instrument. Rubbing off the part number doesn't prevent that, it just makes it a bit harder. The only thing that cannot easily be traced is the grade of the chip that's on the board. This raises the question: what are they really hiding?

Copycats are a real problem, I'd be the first one to admit that. But there are better ways to prevent them from stealing your IP than (needlessly) rubbing off part numbers. Security by obscurity doesn't work in this market. In this case, the FPGA is the place where the magic happens. Encrypting the configuration code is an obvious, and far more effective method to keep copycats from reverse engineering your product. Even that is not water tight, and there is an army of smart engineers willing to pick up such a challenge.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 11:34:58 am by Timpert »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf