Author Topic: Thurlby Thandar QL355 Power Supply - Pt. 2; the innards  (Read 14616 times)

Offline Christe4nM

• Supporter
Re: Thurlby Thandar QL355 Power Supply - Pt. 2; the innards
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2012, 06:52:27 pm »
First thing I noticed was the big cap located between vent holes and the heat sink. I really hope that fan sucks the air in from the back, otherwise all the heat will pass the large cap before leaving the enclosure.

AIM TTi is a company that I still can't figure out with regard to design quality. Their products seem very good to me, yet when seeing the inside of this supply I only can say that it's OK. Maybe my standards are a bit high, but I was kinda disapointed. However, I had the same experience with the Agilent U8000 series. They aren't like the "old" HP ones sadly. Not to say they're bad, on the contrary, yet I think it's safe to say R&D gets less funding nowadays.

Offline Soertier

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2012, 08:38:44 am »
So what do you think guys? Is this power supply worth it?
I mean the features and power is suitable for my needs (on spec looks pretty good),  but really, I am not sure regrading the caps and there have been reports of those heatsink metal holders breaking.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2012, 12:44:51 pm »
No.
Surely i would expect nichicon caps in a 600 dollar power supply, but why TTi, WHY?!
Maybe the only reason why their power supplies are a little more in "value" is this
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 08:42:25 pm by T4P »

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2012, 01:12:01 pm »
I would not recommend this simply because I regard Samwha as poor capacitors that are not fit for use in a high-end piece of equipment like this.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf