Author Topic: Thurlby Thandar TF830 user advice please  (Read 409 times)

Offline davebullockTopic starter

Thurlby Thandar TF830 user advice please
« on: January 19, 2024, 12:50:15 pm »
HI everyone.
I have to time the delay between two pulses to microsecond accuracy and have in my test gear a Thurlby Thandar TF830.
I don't have a user manual for this instrument and have failed to find such any detailed operating instructions on the web.
I have only ever used this TF830 for measuring RF frequencies not timing.
In the past I have used 'timer counters' that had an A and B input such that counting could be started by a pulse on 'A' and stopped by a pulse on 'B'. The resultant delay being displayed on the readout.
However whilst the TF830 has a function called A/B RATIO I am not convinced that this is the function I require (or..... if it is, how to set it up).
Does anyone out there have experience operating this instrument or have a copy of a USER manual that I can copy please?
Thanks in anticipation
Dave

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: Thurlby Thandar TF830 user advice please
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2024, 11:18:27 am »
It's always worth firing an email off to Aim-TTi, their tech support are usually very helpful with manuals for older stuff.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Solder_Junkie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2024, 01:22:37 pm »
See attached service manual, it describes the operation of the counter as well.

SJ

Offline davebullockTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2024, 04:35:45 pm »
HI, Thanks for your replies.
Yes I already had the service manual but it doesn't describe how to use the RATIO A/B or exactly what it does?
However it doesn't do what I hoped it did, ie, measure the timing difference between a pulse applied to port A and sometime later Port B (which is what I need)
Instead I found this on the Fluke website:-
RATIO A/B
To find the ratio between two input frequencies, the counter counts the cycles on two
channels simultaneously and divides the result on the primary channel by the result on the
secondary channel.
Ratio can be measured between inputs A and B.
Back to the drawing board :-)
Dave

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf