Author Topic: Time Electronics 9803 Oscilloscope Calibrator - What are my chances with this?  (Read 2172 times)

Offline Chris56000Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Hi!

I've been looking for an Oscilloscope Voltage/Time calibrator to test my oscilloscope collection, I'd love a Bradley 192 but they're as rare as hen's teeth, the last one I saw was over £500 and half as much again for carriage from USA, and the Flukes, Datrons, etc., etc., cost more than a decent car!!

Anyway I came across this Time Electronics 9803 for £100, (and the Seller's bringing it to me!), the VFD is alight and very bright and even, showing some sense on it, but there's obviously some fault or I wouldn't have got it at that price!!

What are my chances of getting documentation/schematics/adjustment info for it? (I'm aware Time pot vital chunks of their circuits in boxes!)

If I'm unlucky and there does turn out to be problems in the potted thingy(s), can anyone point me in the direction of a safe method for dissecting these things?

I've never seen anything like this before and info seems to be non-exsistent!

Chris Williams
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 11:28:23 pm by Chris56000 »
It's an enigma that's what it is!! This thing's not fixed because it doesn't want to be fixed!!

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Depending on its age there might be a board I designed in there - don't know about the rest of it though!

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Depending on its age there might be a board I designed in there - don't know about the rest of it though!
Which could suggest you have contacts to where the OP could source a service manual from. No ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Frequent Contributor
I'll be putting tear-down piccies up, along with such info as I can scribble out, but I dread to think what I'd be charged for calibration tho' if it turns out to be too far out after I've got it working!

It's used on the same principle as the Bradleys, Teks, etc., you set the O/P the Volt/div or Time/Div for the range of the 'scope you're checking, then you use the fine varnier buttons until the time-markers or vert. amplitudes line up with the graticule markings and then read off the % error (+ or -) and compare it with the 'scope's spec, alternatively you set the O/Ps to nominal V/div or Time/div then adjust the 'scope gain/time cal. presets to get it as close to graticule-lines as possible.

(I did work 18 months at Keysight but alas to say it was not harmonious!)

Chris Williams

PS!

Can someone point me in the direction of a type no/stockist for the Front-Panel Switches/coloured caps please? I believe Elektor used them a lot in the 80s and they always called 'em "Digitast" but I've no idea what they are now!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 11:50:01 pm by Chris56000 »
It's an enigma that's what it is!! This thing's not fixed because it doesn't want to be fixed!!

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
Whoa, did you work / contract for Time Electronics at some point? Have you ever talked about it on the forum here or on YouTube?

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Which could suggest you have contacts to where the OP could source a service manual from. No ?
No -haven't worked with them for maybe 10 years
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

• Frequent Contributor
Hi!

I powered this up yesterday and there was distinct traces of hot thermionic-valve type smelling coming from somewhere inside, so it looks there could well be any number of charred, unreadable resistors within!

I've not begun the tear-down & examination yet!

Chris Williams

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf