Poll

Is it time to split up the Test Equipment section of the website?

No, I like it the way it is
83 (42.1%)
Yes, but just a couple of major categories
80 (40.6%)
Yes, I want a category for everything
9 (4.6%)
Meh, whatever
25 (12.7%)

Total Members Voted: 196

Author Topic: Time to split up the T&M categories?  (Read 14075 times)

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Time to split up the T&M categories?
« on: May 17, 2019, 08:52:30 am »
I just noticed the Test Equipment section has over 300,000 posts, the one with more posts is general chat.
And given that I'm always promoting this as "the biggest T&M forum on the interwebs" (and it is), have just one big category for everything now seems kinda dumb.
I know that has been debated several time before, maybe time to ask the question again?

Test Equipment would get its own top level category and then sub categories for different types of gear.
Oscilloscopes
Multimeters
Power Suppplies
etc

Let me know what categories you'd like to see.
And I can seed the new sections with old threads moved across, but with 13,000 threads I won't be able to move them all.

I would keep the Products section (and maybe expand that if anyone has any ideas?)

What say you all...

« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 09:13:42 am by EEVblog »

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Time to split up the T&M categories?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 09:48:56 am »
I think it's fine as it is (and my vote reflects that).
If you have a child-category for scopes, then I can see fanboys/vendors for manufacturer xyz wanting a grandchild-category for "their" brand and then...?

I can certainly see something like a Wiki being divided up like that because you go there to look up something specific but this is mainly a discussion forum. Yes, crucial information (like how to calibrate a specific multimeter or where to find the latest hack for whatever) can sometimes be buried deep in some thread but I don't think having dozens of categories makes finding it any easier.

Have a look at the CNCZone forum for a good (bad) example of how it can go.

Well, that's my 2 eurocents.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 09:54:07 am »
I think that may be good, esp. for more obscure/less popular types of equipment
but not too many sub sections please! Too many can be too dispersive.. And it won't be followed by noobs/illiterate/oblivious people that don't know what netiquette is, how to post on forums and such things... you know the kind that will post on most active section because they think that their thread will be seen first :palm:

At least THIS forum is moderated so the thread can be moved or deleted..

Anyway, i'm with the "Yes, but just a couple of major categories" crowd.
Maybe something like
-Oscilloscopes/Generators
-SA/RF (Also RF Meters?)
-Power Supply/DC Load (Also Meters?)
-Multimeters
-Vintage equipment (why not?)

But one thing for sure: DON'T do a sub category for every manufacturer. Every mfg in the same category will promote confront

Offline dzseki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 10:46:55 am »

-SA/RF (Also RF Meters?)
-Multimeters

I would not suggest separate category for vintage gear because a.) it would eventually fit in to any of the categories anyway b.) there is no clear mark from what point something counts as vintage.
HP 1720A scope with HP 1120A probe, EMG 12563 pulse generator, EMG 1257 function generator, EMG 1172B signal generator, MEV TR-1660C bench multimeter

The following users thanked this post: Tom45

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 10:47:45 am »
No need. There's not really many new threads created here, if there's a lot of posts it's usually in very few threads.

Number of threads is much more relevant than number of posts.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 10:52:15 am by Fungus »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 10:48:37 am »
I would not suggest separate category for vintage gear because a.) it would eventually fit in to any of the categories anyway b.) there is no clear mark from what point something counts as vintage.

It's "vintage" when it smells vintage, not before.

Online BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 10:52:27 am »
I think, prioritize at improving the forum's search capabilities is much more important, than splitting the forum into finer sub-sections.

Besides, still numbers of people, even regulars, love to post "randomly" at different section, see how General Area section filled by threads on technical matters like multi-meter, oscilloscope etc that already have their own section.

My 2 cents.

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop, CustomEngineerer, newbrain, genghisnico13

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 11:09:26 am »
Was going to say, you almost need a age to define vintage.   

Maybe something like
-SA/RF (Also RF Meters?)
-Multimeters

If you are going to break it up, please make it clear.  For example,   I have a 1970's vintage RF generator I am working on.   Does it go in Generators, RF or vintage?  Perhaps Repair....

- Multimeters
- Oscilloscopes/Logic Analyzers
- Power Supply/DC Load
- Generators
- Spectrum/Network Analyzers

Still, I have a scopemeter.  Does it go under Multimeters or Oscilloscopes....  My vote is for a few major categories, or keep it the same.   

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 11:12:59 am »
@Dave,

Sometimes I think about it but quickly forget the idea. One big advantage is that people can quickly see other themes that we would not search. And many brand problems, questions, etc tend to sweep the whole range of equipments of that specific brand.

I think, prioritize at improving the forum's search capabilities is much more important, than splitting the forum into finer sub-sections.

Besides, still numbers of people, even regulars, love to post "randomly" at different section, see how General Area section filled by threads on technical matters like multi-meter, oscilloscope etc that already have their own section.

My 2 cents.

Agree 100% with BravoV ! I would love a better search. Most times google is better in searching things inside the forum.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 11:20:59 am »
Er well, there are 5 DMM sticky threads that could then go into their own child board.  :P

Otherwise leave things be.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 11:33:20 am »
T&M gear is to diverse and has some crossovers even from the possible major categories let alone what does or doesn't go into Metrology that is also T&M.

Leave it alone and add a better option for site search instead of the stock clunky one that defaults to searching from the layer you are viewing only. This will help threads getting found.

This is the mod I used to use for search improvement https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1634 It may be out of date with the current version of SMF but it does look ok for 2.0.15.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 11:39:56 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Fludo

• Regular Contributor
  • EE
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 12:05:44 pm »
How would you categorize something like a NI Virtual bench? It is an oscilloscope, function generator, power supply, and multimeter.  The device could be placed in any one of the sub categories, and it would be harder to find information on it. I prefer broad categories by function to individual listings by instrument.
For example:

• Data Acquisition - Oscilloscopes, SMUs, multi-meters, system controllers, power/spectrum analyzers.
  • Sources- Function generators, power supplies, synthesizers, current/voltage standards
  • Sensors- Current and voltage transducers, pressure, flow, temperature, etc.
  • Uncategorized- Questions about what something is, brand discussions, antique equipment, etc.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2019, 12:06:26 pm »

Simple fix: Remove the search box, tell people to use google.

Agree 100% with BravoV ! I would love a better search. Most times google is better in searching things inside the forum.

See above.

Offline Tomorokoshi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2019, 12:13:25 pm »
As for a new category, I would like one that is something like, "Standards, Approval Agencies, EMC, etc.". This could collect up topics that are randomly distributed across General, Test, and Projects.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2019, 12:14:13 pm »
Er well, there are 5 DMM sticky threads that could then go into their own child board.  :P

Otherwise leave things be.

I only count 3.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2019, 12:19:11 pm »
I don't disagree with dividing the section up a bit more, but I haven't quite decided what would be a good way of doing it. Making categories for each type of device makes sense, but I worry many stagnant sections would be the result. There's also the risk of creating bubbles. I like being confronted with things I'm not familiar with yet.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2019, 12:45:55 pm »
Personally I think the best option is to enhance the search function. It would seem to me that would bring benefits to every user regardless of their interests so its a win situation all round. Often you get replys from other members because they can see your post while reading others, that might not happen if you sub divide it and that would be a sad thing if that happened.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2019, 12:52:46 pm »
Personally I think the best option is to enhance the search function. It would seem to me that would bring benefits to every user regardless of their interests so its a win situation all round. Often you get replys from other members because they can see your post while reading others, that might not happen if you sub divide it and that would be a sad thing if that happened.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
Just use Google and specify that it should only look at this forum. There's no way a third party search function can compete. Doing a good search is hard.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2019, 12:56:58 pm »
Personally I think the best option is to enhance the search function. It would seem to me that would bring benefits to every user regardless of their interests so its a win situation all round.

Maybe the search box could simply redirect to google instead of using the internal functions. All you need to do is add "site:eevblog.com" to the search terms to restrict results to this site.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 12:59:07 pm by Fungus »

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2019, 01:02:58 pm »
The SMF mod link I posted above includes a Google site search as part of it.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2019, 01:08:01 pm »
Have a look at the CNCZone forum for a good (bad) example of how it can go.

:o

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2019, 01:10:28 pm »
I agree and often use Google search slash EEVblog to find stuff but people and in particular newbies need to be reminded to do a proper search of the forum before creating new threads otherwise we end up with numerous threads with the same content and conversation.

Definitely Dave's call on this subject, perhaps we could have a dedicated EEVblog Products & Support board with individual sub-sections for each EEVblog product, all together in the one place.

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2019, 01:13:51 pm »
I don't disagree with dividing the section up a bit more, but I haven't quite decided what would be a good way of doing it. Making categories for each type of device makes sense, but I worry many stagnant sections would be the result. There's also the risk of creating bubbles. I like being confronted with things I'm not familiar with yet.

I do too. But I enter the forum via the show new posts option which keeps new posts visible regardless of how the categories fall.. I suspect a lot of members do. Not guests tho.

10% of the posts are in just one thread and I wouldn't be surprised if half the posts are in less than 100 threads. If you look at the titles of the 100 most popular threads what categories would you use?

Where would the ESR meter thread go? The TEA thread? Half of that one should be in general chat. It functions as a community gathering place. Pretty well too.

Is there an actual problem with it as it is that will be solved? If we knew that it might help.

An improved search facility would help find things more than adjusting categories.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2019, 01:17:43 pm »
This is the mod I used to use for search improvement https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1634 It may be out of date with the current version of SMF but it does look ok for 2.0.15.

Installed, try it!

Offline Eric_S

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2019, 01:20:21 pm »
My vote is to leave it as is.

This forum subcategory isn't that fast, and honestly the forum is a bit too split up for my taste as is.

But, your call Dave.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf