Author Topic: Tiny Handheld Multimeter?  (Read 2170 times)

Offline bernie79Topic starter

• Contributor
Tiny Handheld Multimeter?
« on: May 22, 2022, 11:53:31 pm »
Hi,
My old PeakTek 1070 dies this weekend. It was not a very precise instrument, it has no auto range, it has no cool features - but is was small. And it barely fits in my toolbox. (together with screwdrivers, pliers, soldering iron, drills - all the basic tools for repairing an TV-set, a copier, a wall plug).
Looking up Amazon for cheap meter, I didn't expect good written offers. But on many "small" advertised meters the sellers simply forgot to tell how small exact these meters are!
What I whant: a tiny DMM with AC/DC Voltage an Current measurement, a least 250V and 1000mA. It should also have resistance measurement and continuity check. But it has to be tiny! 3/4 inch thin at max.
Not much to choose from.

I found two options:
I can get a tiny pen-type DMM but without any current-measurement
or I can get some one/two-Inch-"thin" device, whitch is waaay to big.

Something like this:
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0017V97AK
is flat enough to sit in the corner of my toolbox. But is has no current scale.

I have also seen DMMs build like a smartphone: big screens with rechargeable batteries, and plugs mounted to the side/bottom. Its still larger than my recent smartphone but tiny compared to e.g Fluke 77 (this would take 50% of the entire room of my toolbox). Has anyone played with these things?
here is an example: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B096MJLVMG

Greetings
Bernie

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
Re: Tiny Handheld Multimeter?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2022, 12:37:46 am »
voltlog did a review of a few inexpensive "pocket" multimeters:

Affordable Pocket Multimeter Shootout - Repost Voltlog #148
https://youtu.be/YSK_AsNp-88

The spreadsheet in the description has a few more that weren't included in the video as well as links to  reviews of them.

Offline slbender

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2022, 12:53:44 am »
Hi,
My old PeakTek 1070 dies this weekend. It was not a very precise instrument, it has no auto range, it has no cool features - but is was small. And it barely fits in my toolbox. (together with screwdrivers, pliers, soldering iron, drills - all the basic tools for repairing an TV-set, a copier, a wall plug).
Looking up Amazon for cheap meter, I didn't expect good written offers. But on many "small" advertised meters the sellers simply forgot to tell how small exact these meters are!
What I whant: a tiny DMM with AC/DC Voltage an Current measurement, a least 250V and 1000mA. It should also have resistance measurement and continuity check. But it has to be tiny! 3/4 inch thin at max.

Greetings
Bernie

Hi Bernie,

There seems to be a flood of new, cheaper, 6000 count, and 10000 count meters between $20. and $50.

One that seemed about 6” x 3” pretty small, and very thin - is the Kaiweets 600 it was going for $20. and change with free shipping.  May be replaced by the 600Y now.  You have to choose one with 3 input jacks as the models with only 2 input jacks do not have “Amperage “(Current Measurement).

Steven

« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 01:39:24 am by slbender »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2022, 04:59:14 am »
One that seemed about 6” x 3” pretty small, and very thin - is the Kaiweets 600

Those are awful to use.

These are very small/tough: https://zotektools.com/products/zt-c4/

There's 4 models to choose from. They also go under other brands, eg. Aneng.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2022, 11:21:33 am »
This is the biggest constrain. Meters that thin can be found in the ubiquitous M830B and its variants, but they tend to be the absolute bottom of the barrel these days. An evolution of this family is the Mastech MAS830/MAS838 family, being your old Peaktech one of them (I have a MAS830L and it is reasonably well built, but still thicker than your initial constraint).

In the Zotek site that Fungus shared, you can probably get by with Zotek's smaller meters such as the ZT-109 (Aneng AN8008), ZT-302 (Aneng AN8009) and others with the same housing. I had the ZT-102A (Richmeters 102Pro) but it had a very subpar rotary switch and I can't recommend it, although others like and praise these meters.   

A better built and cheap meter that I tested is the Richmeters RM113D, but it is thicker than your requirements as well.

You could also get by with the Aneng mini, but that is very tiny and I wouldn't use it for anything really critical (I use it as a battery tester).

Good luck in yoru search.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2022, 12:53:39 pm »
You could also get by with the Aneng mini, but that is very tiny and I wouldn't use it for anything really critical (I use it as a battery tester).

Yep. Those Aneng minis are tiny, I can't imagine a meter smaller than that. Not a great meter though.

it has to be tiny! 3/4 inch thin at max.
This is the biggest constrain.

If it's absolute thinness you want instead of "smallest volume" then Aneng has this at 0.6":

It's not small but it is thin.  :)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003536067154.html
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 01:13:44 pm by Fungus »

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2022, 04:43:09 pm »
I have ordered a Uni-T120-C for checking.
The SZ08 looks tome like a fake: it shows isolated plugs (that most of us knows have at least 15mm isolated pins) and the whole meter is 15.9mm thick? In my first search, I have all these meters with plugs on the front sortet out.
If its really this thin, its worth checking. But its the Aneng side on alibaba, the side with the most fact errors I have found.

Hm. If there isn't a meter that fits my needs, maybe I should take a smartphone, my soldering iron, and build something... :D
I'm sure, a handy meter that doesn't block much space in a toolbox is an nice gadget for us nerds.

Greetings
Bernie

Online J-R

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2022, 06:55:59 pm »
It's a little bit older, but the UEi DM5B can do this.  I picked a few new old stock a couple years back and modified one so the leads are permanently attached.  Major gripe is it defaults to AC.

You could also go with a fuse+shunt in a small box plus a pocket DMM with a mV range.

Offline BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2022, 11:15:06 pm »
The thin meters with detachable probes that plug in the front front will be using the shorter shrouded plugs you see included with those ultra cheap rectangular box multimeters, to use standard probes you have to cut the shroud down.

Dave did a pocket meter shootout a few years back, may be worth looking at.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2022, 03:34:33 pm »
I got my new Uni-T. It fits perfectly in my toolbox. (yes, tiny. I also know women with bigger beauty cases). My toolbox is 14 inches short and its cramped with tools. In the last days, I had to use this big brick next to the box.
First Impression: the wires are very thin and I wouldn't trust them for higher voltages like our 230 Volts mains or measuring more than 1A. But thats only my opinion.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2022, 07:44:27 pm »
First Impression: the wires are very thin and I wouldn't trust them for higher voltages like our 230 Volts mains or measuring more than 1A. But thats only my opinion.

They can only measure up to 400mA. Anything more than will trip the polyfuse and save the wires. :)

It's CAT II rated so you should only be using it where there's circuit breakers between you and the substation.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2022, 07:52:14 pm »
I'm more concerned about what kind of battery is used in the mini meters.
12V or LR44 alkalines have poor reliability, 3V lithium coin cells are not the greatest for energy.
I would say make sure the battery is common.

Offline Bobson

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2022, 08:02:02 pm »
Appa iMeter3/iMeter5 and its Benning P3 rebadge are small and of better quality. However, they lack TRMS, and are of no use for me.

Offline mattew_2022

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2022, 01:56:23 am »
well, There are tiny multimeters that come with TRMS NF-5330Chttps://www.noyafa.com/products/multi-function-multimeter-nf-5330-c.html

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf