Author Topic: Recommendations on Bench and Handheld Multimeters  (Read 2972 times)

Offline boyddoteeTopic starter

• Contributor
Recommendations on Bench and Handheld Multimeters
« on: May 07, 2022, 07:51:55 pm »
Hi All,

Probably been covered a lot, but having difficulty deciding on a handheld (x2) and a bench multimeter. Budget around a grand (UK) but can go higher if something may fit better.

For background I deal predominantly with micros PIC's, ATMEL's, ESP's, and some more powerful ARM CPU's  (eg RK3399) and the typical things that go along with, but have not long gone independent.

I would like if possible in my budget 4 wire measurement from the bench, as a lot of my work is in the process sectors.

Anyone got any suggestions, my red coloured hand held childhood multi meters are at end of life 😁.

Thanks all,

Chris.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: Recommendations on Bench and Handheld Multimeters
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2022, 08:17:14 am »

The following users thanked this post: Doctorandus_P

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2022, 08:41:43 am »
Could you point me to the threads? At page 7 the search stops loading for me anyway, and most up to that point are either for why would you want one, or not related at all  |O

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2022, 12:41:25 pm »
Thanks AVGresponding, its more the Bench Multimeter that I'm having difficulties deciding upon, not having purchased before there doesn't seem to be a lot of choice, in-stock, available UK via mouser, Farnell etc not really interested in used, but at the same time don't want to spend a couple thousand on one.

Probably should have been more specific in my original post;

For the Benchtop Multimeter;

5+ Digit Minimum, but the more the merrier.
4-wire resistance, Most that I've seen appear to have the sense connections but no all.
Datalogging either via USB thumb drive or USB to PC, network would be great but I don't have wired ethernet in the office yet.

Budget around £1000 (GBP).

I've only found 2 so far the Keysight EDU34450A and the Rohde & Schwarz HMC8012, the Keysight 34465A may also fit the bill but its not found it in stock until the end of July.

The handhelds, where just thrown in in-case someone knew of a deal to be had.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2022, 01:25:27 pm »
Could you point me to the threads? At page 7 the search stops loading for me anyway

Yeah, the search is broken. Do a google search and add "site:eevblog.com" in the search terms.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2022, 01:32:34 pm »
there doesn't seem to be a lot of choice, in-stock, available UK via mouser, Farnell etc

Seems like you already have a shortlist then.  :)

The handhelds, where just thrown in in-case someone knew of a deal to be had.

You can't really go wrong with Brymen: http://www.brymen.eu/

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2022, 04:51:02 pm »
Don't rule out the Siglent SDM 3065, if you're more concerned about performance and price than prestige badges. As they are an up-and-coming company, their customer service seems a bit more responsive than some of the traditional brands currently.  https://siglent.co.uk/products/digital-multimeters/sdm3065x-series/
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2022, 07:02:26 pm »
Thanks AVGresponding, its more the Bench Multimeter that I'm having difficulties deciding upon, not having purchased before there doesn't seem to be a lot of choice, in-stock, available UK via mouser, Farnell etc not really interested in used, but at the same time don't want to spend a couple thousand on one.

Probably should have been more specific in my original post;

4-wire resistance, Most that I've seen appear to have the sense connections but no all.
For 4 wire resistance you should not look at the Keysight 3446xA series. Their resistance range doesn't go low enough where 4 wires makes a real difference. The Tektronix DMM6500 is likely a better option. Or a dedicated resistance meter.

However, the first question should be: why do you think you need super accurate 4 wire resistance measurement? Most process sensors I've seen are 0.1% or worse (note that accuracy is specified over a temperature range and takes aging of a sensor over time into account). Any 3.5 digit meter is good enough to deal with this kind of accuracy level. You might be better of with a tool specific for testing sensors.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2022, 07:23:22 pm »
Correct nctnico, but just maybe I have a plan behind the scenes 😬.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2022, 07:29:08 pm »
Don't rule out the Siglent SDM 3065, if you're more concerned about performance and price than prestige badges. As they are an up-and-coming company, their customer service seems a bit more responsive than some of the traditional brands currently.  https://siglent.co.uk/products/digital-multimeters/sdm3065x-series/
Thread for these here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-new-bench-dmm-sdm3055/
The 6.5 digit SDM3065X was released some years after SDM3055 and they've been a pretty popular meter.

boyddotee, FYI some of these Siglent SDM bench meters are rebranded RSPro but they're always cheaper in OEM colors.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2022, 07:57:00 pm »
I had been looking for an affordable bench top meter but I found none to my liking.
Most are over 30cm deep which is unacceptable to me, there are a few cheap ones, but they are just handheld meters in a different box, and I've given up on them. I also looked at some older TTI models, but apparently the continuity beeper is horribly slow.

Instead, now I'm thinking about a higher end Brymen handheld meter. These significantly outperform the flukes in price to performance ratio and they have a 50.000 count display (sometimes even an extra digit). Combined with their 5 readings per second and PC interface I find them a fairly good compromise for my purposes.

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2022, 08:13:50 pm »
"boyddotee, FYI some of these Siglent SDM bench meters are rebranded RSPro but they're always cheaper in OEM colors" haven't had chance to look into AVG's original suggestion I've no objection to off brands so to speak. Use a rigol scope as a backup for the Agilent. Good to know the rs pro are one and the same.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2022, 08:21:25 pm »
"boyddotee, FYI some of these Siglent SDM bench meters are rebranded RSPro but they're always cheaper in OEM colors" haven't had chance to look into AVG's original suggestion I've no objection to off brands so to speak. Use a rigol scope as a backup for the Agilent. Good to know the rs pro are one and the same.
Sorry but I should have been more clear to head off any confusion.
Some RSPRo bench meters are made by Siglent is what I wanted to be clear about.

AVG's link is to the UK Siglent reseller Telonic Instruments Ltd, a long standing and trusted TE dealer.
https://siglent.co.uk/products/digital-multimeters/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2022, 08:31:05 pm »

Datalogging either via USB thumb drive or USB to PC, network would be great but I don't have wired ethernet in the office yet.

For a bench meter with good 4W low resistance and a good feature set with budget of £1000 your answer is the Tek/Keithley DMM6500.  VAT will probably put you a bit over, but not much.

As for handhelds, you'd have to say what you want and need. 
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2022, 10:02:35 pm »

For a bench meter with good 4W low resistance and a good feature set with budget of £1000 your answer is the Tek/Keithley DMM6500.  VAT will probably put you a bit over, but not much.

As for handhelds, you'd have to say what you want and need.

Since it seems to be for business purposes, I think he can claim the VAT back, and possibly get some other tax relief if it's classed as a capital investment or w/e
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2022, 09:39:29 am »
Thanks all, I've placed an order for the Keithley DMM6500 as it looks to tick all boxes and some.

Don't worry about the handheld's, their are plenty that fit the bill, was just hoping for a deal like Keysight sometimes do.

To answer the VAT question, I do operate under a registered UK LTD company but I'm not VAT registered so sadly I have to pay it :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf