Author Topic: Tracking Generator for an HP8569B  (Read 4907 times)

Offline madshamanTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • ego trans insani
Tracking Generator for an HP8569B
« on: June 18, 2013, 07:46:02 pm »
Hi all, I'm looking for a tracking generator compatible with my HP8569B spectrum analyser.

I'm looking at a used HP8444A; will it work?

Any other/better suggestions?  (Ideally would like something that would go higher than 1.3Ghz, maybe up to 3?)
To be responsible, but never to let fear stop the imagination.

Offline swingbyte1

• Contributor
Re: Tracking Generator for an HP8569B
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 06:05:07 am »
Hi,
The 8444a will work with the 8569A, however, you need the opiton 58/59.  These opitons include an internal 500MHz LO with the 59 extending the range to 1.5GHz.  I would advise you to join the Yahoo HPAgilent group for more information.

Tim

Offline mhzghz

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 04:24:16 am »
Take the 1st  LO output (2 - 4.4 GHz) on the front panel into the LO port of a high-quality microwave mixer, like a M/A-Com or Watkins-Johnson M1H.

Apply a 2.050 GHz signal from an external signal generator on the RF port of the mixer, around -10 to 0 dBm.

The IF output of the mixer will then track the HP8569 in the 0.01 - 1.8 GHz setting. There should be a 3 dB attenuator pad on the IF output of the mixer.

Connect the IF output from the mixer to the RF input of the HP8569B to get your baseline response.

Store that response in Trace B by using "STORE VIEW" or "STORE BLANK."

Connect up your device to test, then press "INP-B->A" to normalize the response.

On the 1.7 to 4.1 GHz setting, use the same mixer but put a 321.4 MHz signal on the IF port and take the output from the RF port.

The other ranges are based on harmonics of the LO, so it's a little harder to homebrew a tracking generator there.

Try to get ahold of an old HP8620C sweep generator (and plug-ins) and use the HP8569B's "MAX HOLD" setting when sweeping the device to test.

• Frequent Contributor
  • ego trans insani
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 03:05:15 pm »
Take the 1st  LO output (2 - 4.4 GHz) on the front panel into the LO port of a high-quality microwave mixer, like a M/A-Com or Watkins-Johnson M1H.

Apply a 2.050 GHz signal from an external signal generator on the RF port of the mixer, around -10 to 0 dBm.

The IF output of the mixer will then track the HP8569 in the 0.01 - 1.8 GHz setting. There should be a 3 dB attenuator pad on the IF output of the mixer.

Connect the IF output from the mixer to the RF input of the HP8569B to get your baseline response.

Store that response in Trace B by using "STORE VIEW" or "STORE BLANK."

Connect up your device to test, then press "INP-B->A" to normalize the response.

On the 1.7 to 4.1 GHz setting, use the same mixer but put a 321.4 MHz signal on the IF port and take the output from the RF port.

The other ranges are based on harmonics of the LO, so it's a little harder to homebrew a tracking generator there.

Thanks!  That's a pretty cool trick and I have everything I need for it!

Try to get ahold of an old HP8620C sweep generator (and plug-ins) and use the HP8569B's "MAX HOLD" setting when sweeping the device to test.

I do have an HP8620 but only one plugin, time to hit ebay.

I've heard of others using a sweep generator and "MAX HOLD", how is the accuracy of the response obtained?

• Frequent Contributor
  • ego trans insani
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 10:42:58 pm »
Hi,
The 8444a will work with the 8569A, however, you need the opiton 58/59.  These opitons include an internal 500MHz LO with the 59 extending the range to 1.5GHz.  I would advise you to join the Yahoo HPAgilent group for more information.

Tim

Thank-you Tim, will do!

Offline mhzghz

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 08:45:16 am »
Tracking Generator for a HP8569 Spectrum Analyzer

http://qsl.net/n/n9zia/tracking/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf