Author Topic: My Startup SMD Equipment [Crosspost]  (Read 2443 times)

Offline sentry7Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
My Startup SMD Equipment [Crosspost]
« on: April 05, 2015, 05:50:16 pm »
Sorry for the crosspost, I put it in Beginners and thought it would be better suited here.

Anyway, I finally had time enough to sit down and finalize my "cart": stuff I'm getting to start my SMD workbench. Here's what I got so far.

• Hakko FX888D Soldering Station
  • YIHUA 858D Hot Air Rework Station
  • 0.3mm 63/37 Rosin Core 1.2% Solder
  • 1.5m 2mm Desolder Wick
  • Kester 951 Flux Pen
  • Kester EP256 63/37 Lead Solder Paste
  • ESD Tweezers / Forceps
  • Desoldering Pump / Sucker
  • 10X Headset Magnifier

I need to find out whether the tips for the Hakko 936 are compatible with the FX888D, but other than that, here's what I have. Any suggestions?

Offline hamster_nz

• Super Contributor
Re: My Startup SMD Equipment [Crosspost]
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 07:07:48 pm »
If you want a box of SMD bits to play with, I can strongly recommend http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/Open-Parts-LibraryBasic-V2-p-1560.html - the contents list is here : http://www.seeedstudio.com/document/pdf/OPL%20Basic.pdf

You can also buy bags of single parts too - http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/OPLopen-parts-library-catalog-c-136_138 - For example a bag of 10 x DS1307ZN costs $10 - they are about $4.50 per unit on Digikey NZ.

The good thing is that Seeed also supply a library for use in Eagle.

Gaze not into the abyss, lest you become recognized as an abyss domain expert, and they expect you keep gazing into the damn thing.

Offline skyjumper

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 10:42:34 pm »
I like to work on an anti static soldering mat. They can be a bit pricy though.

Offline mskobier

• Regular Contributor
  • Test Equipmentaholic!
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 11:30:48 pm »
Sentry7,
    I would also recommend a pair of SMD soldering/desoldering tweezers. This is the type that is actually two soldering irons in a tweezer type frame. Sure makes removal of smd resistors/capacitors/diodes, or any other two contact device. You can even get wider tips for removal of SOIC chips. The cheap pair I have made quick work of removing several smd resistor/capacitors on a board I worked on recently.

Mitch

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 11:33:02 pm »
I just upgraded from the FX-888D to the FX-951 and could not be happier. The "sleep" option is great and the tip is back up to operating temperature by the time I am actually soldering. It's much easier to change the set temperature, as it has actual up/down buttons.

It also seems to maintain more consistent tip temperature vs the 888D. I zeroed the temp offset calibration and with a little solder wetting of my thermocouple tip, I measured 680.1F with a set temp of 680F. Haven't tried measuring the temperature during actual soldering, but I am certainly better able to maintain consistency with this iron vs the 888D.

The integration of the tip and heating element does increase the cost of the tips, but I like the benefits. It's much faster to swap tips, and the include a cute tip holder with the 951.

I still have my 888D as a backup, and for cases when I need two irons at the same time (happens periodically in SMD work, especially when desoldering).

Just thought I'd mention the option.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf