Author Topic: Trying to get readings out of an Agilent 86140B  (Read 1882 times)

Offline ArpTopic starter

• Supporter
    • Henriks bits n pieces
Trying to get readings out of an Agilent 86140B
« on: June 19, 2013, 07:03:02 pm »
Found a spectrum analyzer in the garbage bin at work.

I managed to fix the LCD by replacing the floro with a led strip.

Been trying to get readings out of it, but unable to get any reaction whatsoever. It keeps showing the same reading as on the picture, no matter how much I fondle with the fibers or send light with flashlight and laser pointer.

Before I use it for scrap parts, any thoughts on what might be wrong with it?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 07:10:58 pm by Arp »

Offline Orange

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Trying to get readings out of an Agilent 86140B
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 09:16:02 pm »
If you don' t get errors during the self test it's probably OK. Shining with a laser pointer or flashlight does not work, you need more power.
You need to connect a proper fiber with source to see if it is working. It's most likely OK, so don't scrap it, that would be a waiste

This system has probably a semiconductor laser for the interference measurement. If the laser or receiver would be bad, you would get errors during the stat-up phase of the instrument. I don' t know the 86140A, only the 86120B. The 86120B is less sensitive and has a HeNe laser.

Offline ArpTopic starter

• Supporter
    • Henriks bits n pieces
Re: Trying to get readings out of an Agilent 86140B
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 05:59:54 pm »
I couldn't help but opening up some of the modules. Pretty interesting mechanical stuff going on inside. A rocking mirror in the big metal cube, rocking to the sweep. In the unit connected to the input some kind of circular plate with small holes. When I changed the bandwidth it spun.

Still nothing happened to the readings on the display while doing this. Not even a speck of noise  :(.

Will borrow some fiber and a stronger source to test it with before it goes to the grinder  :)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 06:03:04 pm by Arp »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf