Author Topic: TS-323 UHF Hetrodyne Frequency Meter  (Read 3439 times)

Offline CyberdragonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
TS-323 UHF Hetrodyne Frequency Meter
« on: January 26, 2016, 03:10:11 am »
Another flea market find. More old tube military gear. Unfortunately the only manual I have with it is the one in the lid, which doesn't say what to do about the dreaded...hand interference. That is putting my hand near the machine to set the dial then moving it away, or even moving the headphone cable, causes it to become out of tune and start squealing. It only does with input enabled, it's stable on calibrating mode. It originally used batteries, but I found a disgusting trash parts power supply inside. Could that be causing the problem (HF line leakage)? If not what can I do to prevent this so I can actually use it?
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
Re: TS-323 UHF Hetrodyne Frequency Meter
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 03:59:34 am »
pics
Pics
PICS
post them up, that will help.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 03:02:06 am »
Front of unit:

Bad Wiring \/:

EDIT: yes, that is wedged in there very tight.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 03:07:21 am by Cyberdragon »
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 05:47:00 am »
That looks like the power supply portion. Also the front image is not helpful.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 07:34:54 am »
I last saw one of those in 1980. I remember being told that without the calibration book they were worthless then

It seems this website validates my memory

http://vk2bv.org/archive/museum/ts323.htm

Offline uncle_bob

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 02:52:04 am »
Hi

These gizmos are the "uhf" version of things like the LM and BC-221 meters. In the days before frequency counters (my first one showed up in 1965 ...) this was how you measured frequency. They all involve a "netting" process against an internal standard (crystal oscillator) and then use of the calibration book to find a specific frequency. There were various cool things you could do to make sure that you had the 33rd harmonic of the LO being beat against. (check 32 and 34).

The LM and 221 are a *lot* more popular. Without the calibration book, I would say they are a sub $10 start to a new flower pot / source of parts. The calibrators that generated the books were absolutely amazing gizmos. Three to eight racks of tubes and an associated printer (think giant cash register) to do the book. Yes I did miss out on getting one of those "back a while". I've always regretted it ...

=====

Oh, ... there was a question involved .... ahh ...

I suspect that there is a feedback adjustment on the master oscillator. From your description, someone has "improved" it. The fix is to reverse the jerk's improvement. The normal surplus manual sites are a good place to start looking for a manual or a schematic. Those were never a popular item so info may be scarce ...

Bob

Bob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 12:24:03 am »
It's definitely been tampered with, a screw and some of the washers are missing inside. The idjit also disabled the safety switch for the lid and wired the power select switch backwards so the plug (an old IBM computer cord) is on the contacts for Battery instead of Ext. Supply. :palm: No obvious signs of tamper with the HF unit except the evidence of being unscrewed.

I need a service manual, unless someone knows where this feedback adjustment is and how to set it. The only thing I can find is some guy wants $25 for something he calls "Operating and Service" manual but has no image (on some "Military Manuals" site). I got the unit for $5 so I want to be sure it's not some dummy selling either the frequency tables or one in poor condition. Not even sure if it's an actual book, if it's just a scan I'm absolutely not paying anything.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

Offline uncle_bob

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 01:55:16 am »
Hi

There is no guarantee that the feedback is a discrete adjustment (contrary to how one would normally read what I wrote -- sorry about that !). It could just as easily be a part value or a series of alignment steps.

Here's the most basic question: Why bother with this beast? I have a similar one sitting here. I spent a bit of time getting it working (years ago). I have quite literally *never ever* turned it on since. In maybe 15 years, there has never been a need for what it can do vs what other "stuff" can do much more easily. Please don't take that as a knock. I certainly went down this road myself. I'm just suggesting that a deep breath might be in order here.

Bob

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf