Author Topic: TTi Power Supply Output Terminal Stud Size  (Read 1596 times)

Offline Ohm_MyTopic starter

• Contributor
TTi Power Supply Output Terminal Stud Size
« on: June 05, 2020, 03:43:32 am »
I'm looking for the stud size on the TTi model PL303 power supply output terminals. I have a need for a spade or fork connector to the outputs but I cannot  be sure of the correct size connector.

I wrote to TTi directly about this but have not had a reply over a few days. Any help is appreciated.

Online voltsandjolts

• Supporter
Re: TTi Power Supply Output Terminal Stud Size
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 08:15:50 am »
Erm, did you try measuring it?

Offline Ohm_MyTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 04:38:51 pm »
The outer collar that threads on to the shaft does not have enough exposed area to make a measurement of the shaft diameter.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 05:15:40 pm »
All my TTi psu's use standard binding posts.

A diameter of 5mm may be regarded as default.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Gregg

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 05:28:35 pm »
Take some fairly stiff paper such as card stock and cut a narrow V groove such that you can slip it over the binding post shaft.  Mark where it fits the shaft and then measure the gap where marked.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 05:35:17 pm »

Might be a bit risky to take 5mm as nominal, I've come across a lot of binding posts that use an M6 fine thread (i.e. 6 mm major diameter).

As for not being able to measure that binding post - just use a bit of ingenuity. Wrap a bit of solid core wire into a U shape over it, take it out and measure that. Or cut some slots of varying width into some thin card and use them as gauges.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 08:17:54 am »

Might be a bit risky to take 5mm as nominal, I've come across a lot of binding posts that use an M6 fine thread (i.e. 6 mm major diameter).

As for not being able to measure that binding post - just use a bit of ingenuity. Wrap a bit of solid core wire into a U shape over it, take it out and measure that. Or cut some slots of varying width into some thin card and use them as gauges.

My bad, I should have been more clear.

The threaded section is indeed M6 x 0.75, the clean section where you'd put your fork terminal is the 5mm diameter part(well, 4.8mm, but what's a couple of tenths of a mm between friends?).
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Online Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2020, 02:52:53 pm »
Looks like the OP's TTi is using the newer shrouded-banana-plug compatible binding posts, so they may not be the same diameter as the standard posts.

I've got some spares of these special posts handy at work that normally would be easy to measure, but thanks to covid i'm stuck at home and can't sorry.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2020, 03:31:31 pm »
I've got some spares of these special posts handy at work that normally would be easy to measure, but thanks to covid i'm stuck at home and can't sorry.

Did you get those from TTi as official spares, or from an independent source?

I've been looking for a stock "safety" binding post that:

1) Doesn't cost the earth - I'm looking at you Multicontact.
2) Will accept spade connectors. (The Multicontact [now Staubli] ones just have a hole you poke a wire through and come in at more than £9 a piece.)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2020, 05:10:24 pm »
Looks like the OP's TTi is using the newer shrouded-banana-plug compatible binding posts, so they may not be the same diameter as the standard posts.

The plastic molding is bigger, but my guess is the metal post is the same size. Wouldn't really make sense to make one a different size and render all existing fork terminal leads obsolete.

As Cerebus says, easy enough to wrap some solid core around it to get a measurement.

£9 each?!? Are they carved out of solid gold by grey-bearded virgins in a mountain cave?
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Online Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2020, 07:49:13 pm »

Did you get those from TTi as official spares, or from an independent source?

I've been looking for a stock "safety" binding post that:

1) Doesn't cost the earth - I'm looking at you Multicontact.
2) Will accept spade connectors. (The Multicontact [now Staubli] ones just have a hole you poke a wire through and come in at more than £9 a piece.)
Spares direct from TTi. This was 3 years ago but they cost 2.50 GBP each then (probably plus VAT), and came with a kit so they could be retrofitted to any of their PSUs, even the ones that originally came with the older posts (all the binding post options have M4 fixing bolts at the back). I suspect they're just trying to cover costs with the spares (was free P&P too), so may not want to sell anyone a large quantity.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 07:51:15 pm by Hydron »

The following users thanked this post: Cerebus, AVGresponding

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf