Author Topic: Two €200 meters: Brymen vs. UNI-T  (Read 3222 times)

Offline robdejongeTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Two €200 meters: Brymen vs. UNI-T
« on: March 28, 2023, 06:08:09 am »
Candidates:
- Brymen 869s + USB kit
- UNI-T 171B (includes USB kit)

Unique features I'd use:
- 2 temp probes on the BM
- NCV and data logging on the UT

Specs: they are mostly in the same ballpark

Pricing: both come out to ~€200 excl VAT

Gut-feel says the Brymen is the more reliable device in the long term.
Is that fair?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 06:10:39 am by robdejonge »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: Two €200 meters: Brymen vs. UNI-T
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2023, 07:57:42 am »
Gut-feel says the Brymen is the more reliable device in the long term.
Is that fair?

Yes.

NCV is probably useless. I never saw NCV that worked well in real life.

An OLED display will eat batteries and has a finite lifespan. It will probably fail in a few years and it doesn't matter if you use it or not.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 08:17:35 am »
An OLED display will eat batteries and has a finite lifespan. It will probably fail in a few years and it doesn't matter if you use it or not.
Don't think this has an OLED display. I believe that is the 171C.

Online shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2023, 08:21:51 am »
BM can be used for data logging too, it has an optical interface for that. The adapter costs ridiculous money, however. OTOH, there are DIY implementations.

This UT is a good meter with favorable reviews, but my gut feeling tells me, maybe wrongly, that UNI-T meters in general don't really belong in that segment. They are (or rather used to be) best bang for buck in the $50-ish range, but of these two I'd probably pick the BM.

I actually own a BM869s. It's a good fast meter, however there are some minor annoyances:

- slow update rate (1/1s or so) in the AC+DC mode (and in some other modes, where it doesn't really matter)
- usable bottom range of capacitance measurement starts at ~100 pF
- autoranging in the resistance mode could be faster: I have to fix the range when I need to hand-pick matched resistors from a bunch, for example
- no LowZ voltmeter
- can't test white (and blue, at least some) LEDs: test voltage is just not high enough
- occasionally, pretty rarely, at power-on into the DCV mode, it's stuck displaying 0.0000V until the selector is switched to another mode and back -- and this glitch is a recent development

Overall, it gives a feeling of a platform that shows its age. It needs a facelift. Nothing critical, however. And its continuity beeper is hands down awesome. And the bar graph is actually useful: while I don't use it otherwise, it can show if the measured voltage has ripple at a frequency beyond what the primary display can reflect.

Another feature worth mentioning is its CREST mode: peak detection within, I believe, a 0.8ms window, to capture events that the regular min/max mode won't detect. Can be used to measure short pulses or Vpp of an AC waveform, up to a certain frequency. Can also be used to measure inrush current, with a shunt, without using an oscilloscope.

Oh, and it uses the 9V battery, none of that leaky AA/AAA crap. Works perfectly on those rechargeable 2s LiPo packaged in a standard 9V case without an output step-up converter.

It also has big ass fuses that cost a fortune and all the requisite input protection circuitry, of course.

I don't know if the UT is better or worse in any regard. I wouldn't mind having both, I guess.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 08:36:59 am by shapirus »

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 08:42:02 am »
I dislike NCV built into a DMM, but that's mainly because I'd find it utterly useless; good luck trying to find the live conductor you want in a 4"x4" trunking full with a couple of hundred cables. Use a decent volt-stick instead.

I suppose it has some limited use for finding live cables in a wall, but really I wouldn't trust it. It won't find a cable that's switched off anyway.

As for BM869S vs Uni-T 171B, the Brymen is guaranteed to have proper HRC fuses; Uni-T's seem to be a bit random for the same model number in different regional markets. Also, the 869S has been around long enough that most if not all of the quirks of operation are known. Not so sure about the 171B.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2023, 08:53:05 am »
BM can be used for data logging too, it has an optical interface for that. The adapter costs ridiculous money, however. OTOH, there are DIY implementations.
Yeah, I plan on buying this with the meter as it's something I use often. I'll be checking out those DIY options though! :-) I'm hoping there will be Linux software available, from Brymen or elsewhere.

This UT is a good meter with favorable reviews, but my gut feeling tells me, maybe wrongly, that UNI-T meters in general don't really belong in that segment. They are (or rather used to be) best bang for buck in the $50-ish range, but of these two I'd probably pick the BM.
That is sort of what my gut feel is too! Is yours as big as mine? ;-)  :-DD

I actually own a BM869s. It's a good fast meter, however there are some minor annoyances...snip....Overall, it gives a feeling of a platform that shows its age. It needs a facelift. Nothing critical, however.
Super useful, this. Thank you for all of that. Any recommendations on a competing model either from Brymen or otherwise? It seems incredible value.

Works perfectly on those rechargeable 2s LiPo packaged in a standard 9V case without an output step-up converter.
Was not aware of those. I have a weird dislike for 9V blocks. Might look for one of these!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2023, 11:25:53 am »
I dislike NCV built into a DMM, but that's mainly because I'd find it utterly useless; good luck trying to find the live conductor you want in a 4"x4" trunking full with a couple of hundred cables. Use a decent volt-stick instead.
Not the first to comment on built-in NCV functionality! I guess I'll keep using my volt stick too  ;D

Online shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2023, 11:34:30 am »
Super useful, this. Thank you for all of that. Any recommendations on a competing model either from Brymen or otherwise? It seems incredible value.
If we speak of Brymen, there's not much too look at, besides BM786, which is definitely worth attention. It's a newer model which is in some regards slightly better, in some slightly worse than BM869s. Slightly lower base accuracy, but compare their specs side by side, maybe BM786 will look more preferable for you.

I didn't look much into other DMMs of this segment.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 01:02:20 pm by shapirus »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2023, 12:47:52 pm »
Don't think this has an OLED display. I believe that is the 171C.

Oh, my bad.  :)

(one more thing to hate about Unit-T - they make ranges of meters with the same shape/size/number but wildly different features)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 12:54:16 pm by Fungus »

Offline sonpul

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2023, 05:32:29 pm »
Any recommendations on a competing model either from Brymen or otherwise? It seems incredible value.

I was puzzled by the choice and was looking for an alternative to the BM869s.

I chose the BM789 and I'm glad I didn't buy the 869.
Highlighted some of the features I needed.

AutoHold
Auto V  LoZ
BeepLit
BackLight 30 min.
No dual display.
Using 3xAAA, I have used Eneloop batteries successfully.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 05:34:26 pm by sonpul »

Offline mwb1100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2023, 05:48:21 pm »
While the BM786/BM789 are very nice meters, they don't have the data logging feature.

Offline sonpul

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2023, 06:09:38 pm »
It is very difficult for me to imagine any truly useful task for data logging. I don't understand the dual display in the multimeter either. I bought a second BM789 for any additional measurements without limitation.

Online shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2023, 06:38:01 pm »
I don't understand the dual display in the multimeter either.
T1+T2, DC+AC, (less useful) ACV+Frequency.

But yeah, second DMM solves this, at the expense of the extra space and wires required and the reduction of the effective input resistance as seen by DUT to 5 MOhm, if you measure volts with both.

Offline mwb1100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2023, 06:46:15 pm »
Unique features I'd use:
- 2 temp probes on the BM
- NCV and data logging on the UT

If you're interested in on-board data logging, the Brymen BM535s might be worth consideration.  It appears to have most of the features of the 869s for something like €20 less.  But you'd sacrifice specs (10000 count vs 500000 count, 20kHz vs 100kHz bandwidth, and generally less precision/accuracy)

Note: I'm just going by a scan of the data sheets - I've never had or used the BM535s, BM869s, or UT171B.

Offline mwb1100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2023, 06:50:47 pm »
It is very difficult for me to imagine any truly useful task for data logging.

Apparently the OP does, since logging functionality was mentioned more than once including in the "Unique features I'd use" section.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2023, 06:52:22 pm »

Doesn't mean nobody else has a use for it. You might need to leave something running all night and record the voltage (eg. to make a battery  discharge graph).

Online shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2023, 06:57:46 pm »
Doesn't mean nobody else has a use for it. You might need to leave something running all night and record the voltage (eg. to make a battery  discharge graph).
As well as current, temperature, frequency, basically anything that can be measured. There can be a use case for everything.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2023, 05:31:38 am »

Exactly what I've done before, for logging I used an old smartphone with interval photos. Tedious.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2023, 05:56:30 am »
After reading some posts comparing the newer 780 series meters by Brymen, I went and did a bit of a datasheet comparison this morning to see if anything else would jump out. BeepLit, longer backlight and batteries used are differentiating features I like about the 780 series. Data logging one I like about the 870 series, plus (and this is perhaps silly, as it's not for the dual reading) visually I prefer the display on the 870. Overall, as mentioned, spec comparison is a mixed bag in that some is better here, other is better there. Both meet my needs.

At this moment, I'm learning towards the 860 series.

What I can't judge from spec sheets is how the meters compare in daily driving. Were the little issues listed by @shapirus below addressed in the new series? Is the 780 series overall just a much faster meter?

Offline J-R

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2023, 06:03:22 am »
Absent of a specific feature you need that might be lacking, in general my vote is the BM869s due to the relatively extensive dual display functionality.  The various AC/DC/frequency dual display modes and dual temperature are perhaps expected, but I was kind of surprised to see AC current with frequency (secondary), AC+DC current with AC current (secondary), and DC current with AC current (secondary).  Of course the BM789 can display those values, just not at the same time.

I don't think the BM789 is "faster", and matter of fact, when switching functions on the BM789 it is very slow to switch, a full second or so.

Having to remove the case on the BM869s to change the battery is a pain, and the stand is attached to it so you can't just leave it off.  The battery cover screws are tiny, as are the ones on the BM789!  If you plan to use these 8 hours a day, bench meter for the win...

Offline sonpul

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2023, 07:46:32 am »
I don't think the BM789 is "faster", and matter of fact, when switching functions on the BM789 it is very slow to switch, a full second or so.

Can you list at least 2 really useful tasks in which double output is really necessary?
The fact that it is necessary for someone, I understand. I would like to hear useful experience.
In what task, faster switching could provide more useful information? What can be lost in a second?
I am engaged in the development and repair of electronic devices. Tasks are found for the second device. And for a dual display, I can’t think of something. Maybe when repairing frequency converters.
I like the BM869s and the dual output capability. Maybe I'll buy it for myself. But I don't see any real benefit.

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2023, 08:13:20 am »
Can you list at least 2 really useful tasks in which double output is really necessary?

Very little is really necessary. Most work could probably be done with a single analog meter with low input impedance, accuracy and resolution. A continuity beeper is also not really necessary: you could look at the display. It's just very convenient and makes some tasks much faster.

I find dual display very helpful for looking at DC + ripple (voltage or current) at the same time, and looking at a signal in a system where you aren't sure if it's AC or DC. I had that recently while troubleshooting something powered by an alternator, so it required spinning a wheel to measure. Switching back and forth would have been very inconvenient. Another thing is looking at ACV or ACI and frequency. I was checking an AC signal source and seeing how amplitude and frequency changed under load. Again, switching back and forth while adjusting the load would have been inconvenient.

Sure, this could all have been done with two meters, but that's more precious bench space and more leads to hook up to tight spots. Also, it takes more time to scan two displays with your eyes.

For these reasons I keep at least one meter with dual display around (though not a Brymen in my case). Other meters can be single display for me.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2023, 12:22:33 pm »
Also, it takes more time to scan two displays with your eyes.

As much as looking at the tiny second display on a single meter?

Online jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2023, 12:25:55 pm »
Bought a genuine Fluke 87 V for $225.

Professional equipment, wil last a lifetime, Class III protection.
not ChiCim

j
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2023, 02:24:21 pm »
Bought a genuine Fluke 87 V for $225.

Professional equipment, wil last a lifetime, Class III protection.
not ChiCim

j

I bought a Brymen BM869S. World class quality, 5.5 digit, 0.02% class accuracy.
CAT IV 1000V protection. For 220€ new with warranty, case and probe..

New F87V is cca 550-600€+VAT..
Used stuff I don't trust. Not after I saw what people do to them when they didn't buy them with their own money...

And yeah, I don't do Sinophobia..
Or arrogance. There is always someone smarter than me...
What used to be is no more...

The following users thanked this post: Kean, zsilet

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf