Author Topic: UEi DM397? I think not. An update on this multimeter.  (Read 6342 times)

Offline LightagesTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
UEi DM397? I think not. An update on this multimeter.
« on: May 05, 2013, 11:29:01 pm »
In this thread you can read about my initial problems with this meter.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/uei-dm397-rather-surprised-in-a-negative-way-short-notes/

You can also watch a very nice and thorough review by jwrelectro here:

He got all the points that need to be said about this meter. He luckily received a good one. As you can now see, I did not. I also received my replacement from UEi and it was out of spec.......

I contacted UEi again and I agreed to look further into this and decide whether or not to return the meters later. They sent me their calibration program and I was successful in getting the meter back to reading correctly. So I will be keeping both meters, and the nice lead set they sent me. The original DM397 will not calibrate correctly on the capacitance function so it still is blind to the first 50pF it sees.

I appreciate their attempt to get me a good replacement right away but I have to conclude in the end that if you are looking for a higher end multimeter then the UEi DM397 is probably not the best bet. You should not need to calibrate a new meter and not many people have the means to do so. You buy a meter with these specs to use as a reference so it better be right when you get it!

I will post any updates on this if UEi has any further to say on this.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 05:31:52 am by Lightages »

Offline LightagesTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Re: UEi DM397? I think not. An update on this multimeter.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 05:36:30 am »
UEi has responded that they are investigating the problems I had with my meter with their factory. They haven't tracked down all the problems yet but they assured me that they are working on it.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 05:52:55 am »
Well someone, despite potential problems with this meter, got a pretty good deal IMHO.  $56 + $10 s/h for a 50,000 count multimeter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230995970899

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 01:09:05 am »
He keeps saying "Hert" repeatedly in the video. It's "Hertz" - as in Heinrich Hertz. Anyone involved in electronics that doesn't know that, should be dragged out behind the barn and shot... LOL

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf