Author Topic: UNI-T 71 fast continuity  (Read 3212 times)

Offline WytnuclsTopic starter

• Super Contributor
UNI-T 71 fast continuity
« on: February 05, 2014, 10:19:35 pm »
This may interest the people who own a Uni-T UT71 meter.
As you would have noticed, the normal continuity test is latched, but rather slow on these meters.
I found a way to achieve a fast latched continuity test which doesn't involve any modifications.

1. Turn the range switch to Ohm and select the diode mode by pressing the blue button twice. You are now in the 4V range.
2. Press the RANGE/SETUP button until the meter beeps and displays OFF in the 'low' setting.
3. Press the HOLD button once to access the count display.
4. press the HOLD button repeatedly to select each number in turn.
5. Change each number with the + and - buttons until your display reads 27600 and press EXIT to store it.
6. You are now in a fast mode for your continuity testing, staying in the diode range.

7. When you are done with the continuity testing, press RANGE/SETUP until it beeps again, then press STORE to display OFF in the low mode.
8. Press EXIT to return the meter to its usual state.

It is a bit of a convoluted procedure, but at least the function is available if you don't have another meter at hand.

Happy testing!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 10:38:14 pm by Wytnucls »

Offline sync

• Frequent Contributor
Re: UNI-T 71 fast continuity
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 10:49:08 pm »
I can confirm this. It's much faster now. But it needs at leased 75ms to reliable trigger. With smaller pulses it misses one sometimes. But much, much better than the standard continuity test. Good find! :-+

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 11:03:33 pm »
The value that is entered controls the ohm beeper trigger.
For a trigger below 150 Ohms only for instance, a figure of 2000 has to be entered, otherwise at 27600, the meter will trigger even on a very high resistance.
Unfortunately, with a lower figure, the continuity test slows down, but is still faster than the original.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 11:07:06 pm by Wytnucls »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 11:17:01 pm »
Be also aware that the voltage is slightly higher on the diode range, at 2.7V instead of -1.2V on the continuity position.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 10:06:04 am »
I can confirm this. It's much faster now. But it needs at leased 75ms to reliable trigger. With smaller pulses it misses one sometimes. But much, much better than the standard continuity test. Good find! :-+
It is possible to increase the sensitivity. One can experiment with the 'low' setting. 27690 is the maximum I can set on my 71D, before it starts beeping with floating probes. Note that when the trigger is very sensitive, the meter will register conductivity even for a resistance of several MOhms.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 07:30:01 pm by Wytnucls »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 12:43:39 pm »
Here is a video I made of the continuity test on a sensitive setting (27600):
(The most sensitive setting I have been able to achieve is with 27694 as the LOW trigger)

« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 02:26:26 pm by Wytnucls »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf