Author Topic: Uni-T UT511 insulation tester teardown photos, unboxing and preview.  (Read 14875 times)

Offline SpawnTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
Uni-T UT511 insulation tester, just unboxing and preview, if you like to see a teardown let me know I can take photo’s if there are enough requests.

Tester is feeling really solid with some nice test leads crocodiles attached to it, Uni-T keeps surprising me to be honest, for a insulation tester below 100 USD it’s just a bargain. I got it from a ebay seller with less than 300 feedbacks but the package arrived in 6 days that’s just unbelievable normally it takes 3 to 4 weeks from china to the Netherlands and it was the cheapest on ebay.

Here is the video, see how the meter looks like:

31 january:
I had some time to take the photos today :)

I must say Uni-T is getting my attention more and more every time when I open up their equipment, sure it is not top of the line quality but it is also not bad at all. I am surprised how nicely the workmanship is done and they put some protection, no need for a fuse because it is not measuring current.

I can’t wait till I get the UT61E which I ordered from Franky and I also ordered a UT603 LCR meter from ebay couple weeks ago and didn’t receive it yet. Like I said Uni-T is getting my attention, none of the other manufacturers than Fluke are my favorite but for cheaper equipment I would recomend Uni-T. I hope I can keep the Fluke’s I own in count more than the Uni-T’s  ;D

Here are the pictures, we start with the carrying case, don’t forget all this is less than 100 USD:

Case opened and backlight on:

UT511 front panel, nice and sharp display:

UT511 backside:

Battery compartment:

Case split:

The main PCB:

Top left of the main PCB with the protection and PCB cutouts for arc jump, also notice what Dave was talking about the arc shield inside Fluke CNX3000 at the back side of the input jacks, you see the opening gaps are open every time in different positions so the arc won’t get chance to jump over, it is nice to see this on a cheap equipment, it is not so good thought as Fluke because on the other side of the case there is no molding to enclose everything but still:

Bottom left part of the main PCB:

Top right of the PCB and also PCB cutouts for protection:

Bottom right of the PCB:

Front of the main PCB:

Main chip is under the LCD but I didn’t want to remove the LED’s on both side to get there on a new meter:

PCB for the external power supply, notice the unpopulated side of it, that’s probably for higher models with USB interface for data logging:

Bottom part of the case has a ridge which is for the top part so the case feels really solid when it is put together, they made some curves on the top side where the input and output jacks are to make it strong:

« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 06:10:17 pm by Spawn »

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
Re: Uni-T UT511 insulation tester unboxing and preview.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 08:14:03 am »
Uni-T UT511 insulation tester, just unboxing and preview, if you like to see a teardown let me know I can take photo’s if there are enough requests.
Yes, I want to see teardown photos.

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 09:39:09 pm »
Not much interest in a insulation tester, that is normal on a electronics forum of course, it is after all electricians tool  ;D

Retiredcaps, I will try to take some photos soon  ^-^

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 03:00:07 am »
I like your videos, but images of the insides will do just fine. Yes I want to see inside!

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 11:53:22 am »
Thanks Lightages  :) I will take some photos in the weekend.

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
Re: Uni-T UT511 insulation tester teardown photos, unboxing and preview.
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 06:11:14 pm »
Teardown photos are added to start post  :)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 06:54:22 pm »
Very nice!

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 10:36:31 pm »
Thanks ^-^

SeanB, you were looking in to UT501 right? If so you should consider this one too, this is a whole different tester price/functionality ratio is a lot better.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 04:17:18 pm »
Very nice looking meter there, worth buying. Will have to wait though for finances, along with Chinese New Years......

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 06:35:28 pm »
Notice the E-Stop (Emergency stop) on the tester, there is a reason for this.
With the UT513 (5KV version) a breakdown of isolation in the test object will stop the MPU from working and the only way to turn of the test voltage is the E-Stop!

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 08:47:49 pm »
Very nice looking meter there, worth buying. ..., along with Chinese New Years......
Yes, I am holding my orders too till Chinese new year is over, I have some clamp meters and maybe a multimeter coming up to take some video's  :)

Notice the E-Stop (Emergency stop) on the tester, there is a reason for this.
With the UT513 (5KV version) a breakdown of isolation in the test object will stop the MPU from working and the only way to turn of the test voltage is the E-Stop!

Good to know HKJ, I was under impression it was for emergency if someone get shocked with the tester, thanks for sharing the information.

Offline larry42

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 01:31:48 pm »
I just got a UT501. Have started new job so bit short of time but it seems to have a feature: output is always live (at up to 2.5kV) even without test button. F-ing shocking experience.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

If you have an animated GIF in your avatar or signature then I reserve the right to think you're a dolt.

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 02:46:14 pm »
Hmm, that is weird larry42 I got the UT501 several times in my hands at 1000v mode without the test button activated I didn’t get any shock from the leads, I don’t have the unit to test that again but maybe your tester is defective? How did you measure the 2.5kV?

The topic for UT501 is here btw
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/mini-review-teardown-uni-t-ut501-insulation-tester/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf