Author Topic: UNI-T UT612 .. I know.. Another LCR meter...  (Read 11388 times)

Offline SmokeyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
UNI-T UT612 .. I know.. Another LCR meter...
« on: October 10, 2012, 09:57:16 am »
I feel all left out since I think I'm the only one that hasn't started an LCR meter thread recently.  I didn't see any posts about this one yet, so, well, here I go!

UNI-T UT612
http://dx.com/p/uni-t-ut612-2-8-lcd-handheld-digital-lcr-meter-red-grey-1-x-9v-132226?item=4

Anyone played with one of these?  There are 2 on ebay direct from China and it looks like DealExtreme has them for only $160 USD.  I haven't seen them rebadged as anything yet but the specs look decent, especially the multiple frequency ranges up to 100khz.

- Inductance: 20uH/20mH/200mH/2000mH/20H/200H/2000H/20KH range; +/-(0.5%+5) accuracy
- Capacitance: 200pF2nF/20nF/200nF/2000nF/20uF/200uF/2000uF/20mF range; +/-(0.5%+5) accuracy
- Resistance: 20ohm/2Kohm/20Kohm/200Kohm/2Mohm/20Mohm/200Mohm; +/-(0.3%+5) accuracy
- Measuring Frequency: 100Hz/120Hz/1KHz/10KHz/100KHz
- Measuring Voltage: 0.6Vrms
- Measuring Parameters: L/C/R/DCR/Q/D//ESR
- Special funtions: Max. display (19999); D/Q Max. display (1999); D/Q Resolution (0.001); Automatic Range; Real time display for measuring frequency; Measurement Models; Power off automatically; Low voltage display; Data hold; Relative measurement; USB Data transmission; USB Port /PC Data recording; LCD backlight; Analog bar (26pcs); LCR Auto identification measurement

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
Re: UNI-T UT612 .. I know.. Another LCR meter...
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 11:25:15 am »
Is that LCR meter discontinued? I don't see it listed on the Uni-T site. The 603 LCR model is top of the range, with basic measurements only.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 04:51:48 pm »
It's a china market only for now ... But it's accesories are a complete POS for something competing with the MS5308 and based on the same chipset and the same price range
Only 1 crappy SMD tweezer they don't make themselves! I have one of the SMD tweezers they sell from another manufacturer for cheap and it's really crappy.

Offline LaurenceW

• Frequent Contributor
    • It's Time, Jim, but not as we know it
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 07:26:34 pm »
Yes, it is absolutely the same chipset as the MS5308 and a growing number of other similarly-priced clones.  Google for  ES51919 and ES51920 for more info on the chipset Cyrustek.

Same buttons and screen contents, but each manufacturer offers their own variation of button and LCD screen layouts. the main variants will be in the quality of the accessories and the case.  At the quoted price, (plus shipping and local taxes), this variant looks cheap. Either prices are coming down, or this one short-changes you in other ways - you decide.

I own a Mastec MS5308, by the way, and have posted about it here, previously. Unless you have "farmers' hands" (big!) it is not really a hand-held instrument, but a bench one. it performs to spec and I am happy with it.
If you don't measure, you don't get.

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 07:34:12 pm »
Its accuracy spec is not as good and it is not using the tolerance function available on some using the same chipset. 

Offline jarvis

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 01:28:44 pm »
Its accuracy spec is not as good and it is not using the tolerance function available on some using the same chipset.

The 0.3%~0.5% accuracy is not good ?

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 02:54:44 pm »

The 0.3%~0.5% accuracy is not good ?

I am not bashing this meter I am just trying to help in interpreting specs 

You always have to include the least significant digit counts that are added to the % of reading.  0.3% is fairly good but In this case the UNI-T is + 5 counts where others are  only +2 counts,  very big difference.  Also they only give a best case error for all ranges and frequencies. Other meters give a separate accuracy spec for each frequency and range because they vary a lot.

A good practice in general when comparing units is to do a spreadsheet with total +/- % of reading error calculated for all ranges of each unit you are comparing. It is especially important to include the lowest value on a range before it would switch to the next range. That is the largest error on the range and it is where the added counts have their most effect.  It is easy to make mistakes on the formulas on the cells because each ranges LSD changes value. 

Charting the results gives even more clarity, an example here I did for comparing low Ohms ranges of various meters. The crests on the graphs are that worst case spot before range change.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 02:56:19 pm by robrenz »

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 03:54:02 pm »
Rob, i can't find a meter based on the same chipset with a tolerance, care to point out which?  :)

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 07:45:36 pm »
Rob, i can't find a meter based on the same chipset with a tolerance, care to point out which?  :)

AFIK the DE-5000 is the same chipset.  Manual here with accuracy specs starting on page 45.  I have this meter and I am impressed. IET will give a cal cert for additional cost which means it realy is within the stated specs.  I personaly know that the series resistance is extremely accurate at low range ohms by its very close agreement to my calibrated micro ohmeter (accurate to .02% + 2 counts + 2µOhm).  It also does ESR to .001 Ohm resolution in series resistance mode.

Offline FenderBender

• Super Contributor
    • The Solid State Workshop
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 10:27:04 pm »
One of our users PbFoot said he was going to show us the internals of the UT612 when he gets back from business. I am a bit curious.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 03:16:32 am »
But the probe is a 4-wire system supposedly unless they gave the 2wire one ... But still it doesn't come close to the MS5308  :-X
Oh yeah, one look and i knew the UT612's probes are crappy as well as the input jacks. Well that's always been UNI-T's weakness  :palm:

Offline FenderBender

• Super Contributor
    • The Solid State Workshop
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 03:59:55 am »
Those are some sad excuses for input jacks.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf