Author Topic: Uni-T UT61E different versions?  (Read 19860 times)

Offline analogixTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Uni-T UT61E different versions?
« on: August 07, 2015, 10:37:17 pm »
Are there different spec'd versions of the Uni-T UT61E multimeter, all with the same model number?

I keep reading complaints about it not having a display backlight (and modifications on how to enable it) whilst also coming across specs saying it indeed does have a backlight, such as on the manufacturer's own UT61E product page.
Yet I can't find any eBay sellers or otherwise (except a very expensive local store) selling this unit with a backlight (they all specify it with no backlight).

I was considering the UT61D as it seems to be a great deal for home/hobby DIY use, but noticed that the UT61E has a frequency range which goes all the way up to 220 MHz (10 MHz for the UT61D) making it the better choice.

Offline daybyter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Uni-T UT61E different versions?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 10:50:35 pm »
AFAIK the 61e never has a backlight. Only the smaller versions do have one. There are several backlight mods available for e. Search youtube and such.

Offline wasyoungonce

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 11:14:16 pm »
Tell you in a day or so, one on order about to be delivered ...soon I hope.
I'd forget my Head if it wasn't screwed on!

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 11:22:35 pm »
The UT61E does not have a back light, period. The only differences in versions is that the GS rated version has more input protection and lower CAT ratings.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 09:27:52 am »
That's strange that even the Uni-T's own page (linked above) says it has a backlight, and if you click on "Download manual" on the left hand side of that page it clearly states the following function for the "Light" button:

Light (UT61A, UT61B, UT61C and UT61D only   Press and hold for 2 serconds to turn the display backlight on or off.

I also read somewhere that the "European version" of this multimeter has improved protection for the input stage. I think it was in a teardown or review but can't remember where I read this.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 09:29:28 am by analogix »

Offline Deathwish

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 09:49:02 am »
UT61A, UT61B, UT61C and UT61D only
Electrons are typically male, always looking for any hole to get into.
trying to strangle someone who talks out of their rectal cavity will fail, they can still breath.
God hates North Wales, he has put my home address on the blacklist of all couriers with instructions to divert all parcels.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 10:05:14 am »
Argh!  ;D silly me. Thanks for pointing that out.
So the conclusion is that the "E" doesn't have a backlight (though it can (easily?) be modified to get one), and that the specs (even Uni-T's own listing which says it has a backlight are wrong).

So are there other quality-built multimeters in this price range which have a frequency range to about 20 MHz (or greater) and a backlight? I can live with the "D" model's 10 MHz though, but would the "E" model be a better choice overall, despite having to modify it for a backlight?

Offline daybyter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 11:50:48 am »
22000 count was the reason for me to buy the 61e.

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 01:55:06 pm »
Backlight is seldom used, unless you workbench is in a dark corner of your parents' basement.
The UT139C is worth a look at, if you don't mind the 6,000 count.
22,000 count is good, but accuracy figures of the 61E are very optimistic. The meter doesn't have a proper external voltage reference.

measurementpoint

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 03:28:51 pm »
UT61E multimeter... but noticed that the UT61E has a frequency range which goes all the way up to 220 MHz (10 MHz for the UT61D) making it the better choice.

It is always desirable to write better, if did not think and spent a more money. It is practically indicated on all functions + 10lsd, littlest numbers of display from all possible one, the automatic disconnecting absents, it is indicated frequency more than 40 - out of specification.
All discuss illuminating from beneath...
Ut139b, Ut139c have ten advantages against that.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 10:03:51 pm »
The UT61E does not have a back light, period. The only differences in versions is that the GS rated version has more input protection and lower CAT ratings.

I assume this would be what people refer to as the "European version" then.
Is this version only sold through European dealers (at increased cost) or can I just as well get it through eBay sellers etc. in China or wherever for a similarly low price as the other (non-European) UT61E version?
Obviously I'd look for a "GS" logo on the multimeter, but as photos and specs often don't match when you order through low-cost sources (eBay etc.) I would like to know before ordering instead of playing the lottery  ;)

UPDATE: It appears the GS approved (European) version is only available through European resellers and none of the low-cost sources from China, Hong Kong etc. according to this posting:

I don't think Uni-T has any official distribution channel in the USA. What you get there basically directly comes from China. I think you are referring to the German/EU version with the upgraded fuses, which as far as I understand is only available in Europe. Chinese resellers do not seem to have access to these export-only products. I also don't think any Uni-T meters come with silicone test leads. The German version of the 61E does come with USB cable though (instead of RS232 in the Chinese version).

I'll be using mine mostly for low-voltage DIY projects and occasionaly measuring AC 230V household current -so will the "Chinese" version suffice, or is the GS approved version much safer and better built in general?
Backlight would be nice, and I've read about the modifications which disables the Peak Hold function, using it for the backlight instead, so I'm not very interested in that and guess I can live without a backlight.

The UT139A seems similar to the UT61D, but apparently at a lower cost. Got to look deeper into the specs for that one, but the Hz range of the UT61E is what appeals to me. 

« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 10:30:34 am by analogix »

Offline wasyoungonce

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 04:09:38 am »
My UT61E arrived...no backlight and I noted the circuit PCB is a little different to ones in thread.  Aka no provision for VREF LT1970

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 07:39:07 am »
Which thread? Different from the European "GS" version?
May I ask where you purchased it from and how much you paid for it?

Offline wasyoungonce

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2015, 08:30:34 am »
Purchased from dealextreme.com...now called dx.com.  They have an Australian direct http://aud.dx.com/ ...which I thought they had AU stock (came from AU warehouses).  Well turns out not...came from HK...but it was quick delivery, ordered 03 Aug arrived 10 Aug.

Cost was a bit of an issue.  Price was supposed to be $75.88 ($AUD) but ended up $82 due to paypal changeover.  The price was supposed to be $58 $USD and I thought the $AUD price of $75 was the full price as displayed on the AU direct site.  Well I was wrong...they converted from $USD even though their AU site indicated $75!  Go figure!

Anyway, despite this the price was still ok (considering the low $AUD atm) and delivery was quick, but this won't help you but there is an EU direct site from them.  Probably like AU direct:
http://cs.dx.com/FAQ/Detail/411

Anyway for Australian buyers...I did see it advertised for $55 AUD (+ shipping) from here (Guess I should have purchased from this guy!):
http://www.goodkit.com.au/clearance/ut-61e-uni-t-true-rms-multimeter

The thread for the UT61E is here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/uni-t-ut61e-multimeter-teardown-photos/
There are a few other threads on backlight mods etc.

I purchased other meter probes and tips from other sources as they were cheaper than dx.com.  I'll post images of my PCB in the UT61E teardown thread.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2015, 10:43:40 am »
Congrats on your new meter! Bummer that you didn't end up paying the price you were promised though.

About the PCB changes -from your and others' postings it seems like a lottery what the PCB looks like. Hopefully they all function in the same way.
A backlight would be nice to have in some situations but I don't want to sacrifice an existing function, so I came across this posting about the UT61E service pack 1 modification. There's very little explanation about how it works but it appears you get a backlight feature added to the existing functions of the meter as well as other improvements. Might be worth looking into even though programming that chip and stuff is beyond my capabilities. I read about someone else who simply attached a couple of LEDs via the round function switch of the meter resulting in a backlit display whenever it's powered on. Obviously eating up more of the battery, but with SMD LEDs it might not be a problem if the meter isn't used every day all day.

Offline Nisei

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2015, 01:46:31 pm »
No need to sacrifice a button. Just use a capacitive touch sensor, see my video below.
I've modified mine for less than a dollar.
It's kinda strange they didn't use the yellow button for a backlight though. All secondary and tertiary functions could be selected by pressing the blue button 2 or 3 times. Just like on their other meters that do have backlight.

http://youtu.be/EHStaKB0BwI
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 04:11:00 pm by Nisei »

The following users thanked this post: RavenManiac

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2015, 04:58:12 pm »
That's pretty cool, and all for less than US$ 1?  :o
The red LED backlight is very fitting considering the red plastic casing.
I saw the parts listing on the Youtube video's page, but do you have a schematic for it somewhere?

Offline Nisei

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2015, 07:47:11 pm »
Yes, it really was less than $1 but I did buy more parts at the same time so if you only buy 1 of each maybe it's $2 :)
I'm not very experienced with electronics but I will try to make a schematic and post links to the parts.

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2015, 08:12:23 pm »
No need to sacrifice a button. Just use a capacitive touch sensor, see my video below.
I've modified mine for less than a dollar.
It's kinda strange they didn't use the yellow button for a backlight though. All secondary and tertiary functions could be selected by pressing the blue button 2 or 3 times. Just like on their other meters that do have backlight.

http://youtu.be/EHStaKB0BwI

Dude, that is a BEAUTIFUL mod! I LOVE the red backlight. Uni-T should incorporate that from the shop, it looks damn good. I saw you posted this on DIYAudio as well! Do you have the model of touch sensor module that you used?
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2015, 08:17:06 pm »
Yes, it really was less than $1 but I did buy more parts at the same time so if you only buy 1 of each maybe it's $2 :)
I'm not very experienced with electronics but I will try to make a schematic and post links to the parts.

No problem.
A scanned paper drawing showing which parts connect to where will do just fine  :)

Offline Nisei

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2015, 08:40:13 pm »
No problem, I will draw it.
Dude, that is a BEAUTIFUL mod! I LOVE the red backlight. Uni-T should incorporate that from the shop, it looks damn good. I saw you posted this on DIYAudio as well! Do you have the model of touch sensor module that you used?
Thanks for the positive comment!
The touch module I've used is being sold as an Arduino module.
I paid $7.48 for 10 pcs including shipping. They're also on eBay but I could get them cheaper on Ali. I looked up the specs of the chip and made a few modifications to the module (remove the onboard LED to save power and bridge pin 5 & 6 of the chip to turn it from momentary switch into toggle switch).
Half of the board (the touch part) can be cut off and using a piece of wire I've connected it to a piece of aluminum foil tape which I sticked to the inside of the top of the meter. The larger the piece of foil, the more sensitive the switch. If you make it too large it already switches before you touch the meter so you have to try this out and cut to the size that works like you want it to.
A drawing and pictures where I got the power from will be posted tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 09:26:16 pm by Nisei »

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2015, 02:26:42 pm »
No problem, I will draw it.
Thanks for the positive comment!
The touch module I've used is being sold as an Arduino module.
I paid $7.48 for 10 pcs including shipping. They're also on eBay but I could get them cheaper on Ali. I looked up the specs of the chip and made a few modifications to the module (remove the onboard LED to save power and bridge pin 5 & 6 of the chip to turn it from momentary switch into toggle switch).
Half of the board (the touch part) can be cut off and using a piece of wire I've connected it to a piece of aluminum foil tape which I sticked to the inside of the top of the meter. The larger the piece of foil, the more sensitive the switch. If you make it too large it already switches before you touch the meter so you have to try this out and cut to the size that works like you want it to.
A drawing and pictures where I got the power from will be posted tomorrow.

The using foil idea is brilliant, I really like it! Excellent job, I might try to follow in your foot steps with it.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline Nisei

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2015, 02:44:18 pm »
I've started a separate thread about it: click

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf