Author Topic: UNI-T UT61E Multimeter teardown photos.  (Read 721183 times)

Offline user4963

Re: UNI-T UT61E Multimeter teardown photos.
« Reply #675 on: October 15, 2013, 06:39:10 pm »
measure the values ??of the capacitor can write one of these?

Please

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #676 on: October 15, 2013, 07:49:59 pm »
I might be able to do that tomorrow

Offline user4963

« Reply #677 on: October 16, 2013, 02:06:32 pm »
thank you.Lightages

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #678 on: October 24, 2013, 11:23:15 pm »
...Plus more multimeters is always priceless and enables to do alot more things....Unless they come out with a multimeter with multiple isolated channels, those things are hard to beat when combined.

I am reasonably happy with the 61E.  I already have 3 others - 2 radioshack and a DT830B.  But I actually was thinking about getting a couple more  DT830B's when I was playing around with boost circuits:
In Volt, in current, out Volt, out current, drain current, that is 4 right there.  I could use another one to do adhoc readings.

One of my 4 is a DT830B, $6 DMM, not bad.  I use it as my volt meter for my PSU.  It actually performs better than the other cheapos from Radio Shack (4-8 years old).  So I was considering getting a pair of DT830B.  But I hate all those stuff on my table leaving me so little space.

I would not invest in another mid-low end DMMs.  If I would get more DMMs, I will probably aim for a higher end ones or real cheapies.  Mean time, I just got my ATMega328 as Volt/Current meter working on a breadboard and ordered parts to transfer it to PCB.  I divided up the 6 ADC's as 3 pairs of volt+current (switch-selectable) 0 - 5/15/30Volt and fixed 0-4Amp (using a 0.1ohm as current sense and amplified with OpAmp).  The two pairs I have working gets me +-1% to 4% accuracy.  Not bad when I have not yet calibrated them yet.  After I get the parts, I can get the 3rd pair working, transfer it to PCB, and then I'll do some software tricks (the ADC under-reads at low ranges).  If I can bring it closer to 1-2% using my UT61E as "accurate" reference, I just may end up using the ATMega as my PSU's volt+current.  All three channels shares common ground, so it took me a while to figure out how I would make that work for me.  If the thing works (at +- 1-2%), I don't need the DT830B's as volt/current meter.  If it doesn't, well, I learned a lot trying to get it working so far.

Please keep us posted on how your Atmega328 meter reading project is going - I'm sure some folks would be up for trying your design if you want to share it.  Thx

As promised...

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/microcontrollers/an-implementation-of-atmega328-volt-logger-the-dinometer-a-learning-project/

Offline Benik3

• Contributor
« Reply #679 on: October 31, 2013, 05:52:40 pm »
I suppose that it's the best choice under 75USD? :)

Only thing which disappoint me is the resistance for measuring of high currents :/

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #680 on: October 31, 2013, 08:32:13 pm »
user4963:

Sorry I haven't had the time to check the parts for you yet. I will get to it soon.

I suppose that it's the best choice under 75USD?

I am not sure I would say it is the best choice for under $75, but it is one of the best. There are the Digitek DT4000ZC and the DT2843R which are very good values for the money too. The DT2843R measures RMS AC+DC whereas the UT61E only does AC. The DT2843R has very slow continuity test but has very low burden voltage on the current measurements. The best buy depends on your needs between these.

Offline Benik3

• Contributor
« Reply #681 on: October 31, 2013, 09:16:32 pm »
OK thanks, I will look at it :)

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #682 on: October 31, 2013, 09:28:29 pm »
Actually, If you are in the US and willing to spend $78, have a look at this:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/great-deal-on-amprobe-am-270-!!!-us-only-(/

Offline Benik3

• Contributor
« Reply #683 on: October 31, 2013, 10:06:26 pm »
I'm from Czech Republic :/
But how much cost normal shipping from US to CZ? If there will be someone to buy it for me... :)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 12:03:26 am by Benik3 »

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #684 on: November 01, 2013, 04:57:55 am »
This is why everyone needs to put their country in their profile, or say what country they are from before asking anything.

Offline tmammela

• Contributor
« Reply #685 on: November 01, 2013, 09:47:32 am »
Is it possible to calibrate resistance or current measurement in this meter? There seems to be many pots inside it but I've only seen discussion about dcv calibration. I have a dmmcheck plus incoming so I would have all needed references.

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #686 on: November 01, 2013, 10:23:31 am »
WOuld like to know as well.

Offline Benik3

• Contributor
« Reply #687 on: November 01, 2013, 11:11:07 am »
This is why everyone needs to put their country in their profile, or say what country they are from before asking anything.

I thought that I choose it in registration, but now I see that I don't have the flag on my profile.
Never mind, repaired :)

Offline ModemHead

• Frequent Contributor
  • No user-serviceable parts inside.
    • Mr. ModemHead
« Reply #688 on: November 01, 2013, 01:27:22 pm »
Is it possible to calibrate resistance or current measurement in this meter? There seems to be many pots inside it but I've only seen discussion about dcv calibration. I have a dmmcheck plus incoming so I would have all needed references.
In my experience, it's not common to see calibration adjustments for resistance or current on manually-calibrated (trim-pot) handhelds.  Closed-case calibration units can of course calibrate any function/range using stored offsets.

A dual-slope integrating A/D converter is by its nature ratio-metric. Measuring resistance is done by passing a current through a reference resistor and the unknown resistance. The ADC measures the ratio of the voltages across the two resistors by switching it's reference input to the voltage across the known resistance.  The ratio of the voltages is also the ratio of the resistances, since the current is the same.

This means the accuracy of the resistance range is based mostly on the tolerance and tempco of the resistors used as the 'known'.  These are often dual-purposed from the voltage divider.  How close the multimeter comes to a known resistance measurement is a good indication of the quality of the parts in the front end, but not of the DCV calibration.  The DCV calibration is usually done by tweaking the voltage reference, and that isn't even used during resistance measurement.

For current ranges, it's measuring the voltage across the shunts, so both the DCV calibration and the tolerance and tempco of the shunts come into play.  Calibrating just the current without affecting voltage would require tweaking the shunts.

Offline tmammela

• Contributor
« Reply #689 on: November 01, 2013, 03:28:10 pm »
For current ranges, it's measuring the voltage across the shunts, so both the DCV calibration and the tolerance and tempco of the shunts come into play.  Calibrating just the current without affecting voltage would require tweaking the shunts.

Thank you. So no resistance calibration, that's fine. So ideally if I calibrate dcv it also calibrates current?

Offline ModemHead

• Frequent Contributor
  • No user-serviceable parts inside.
    • Mr. ModemHead
« Reply #690 on: November 01, 2013, 03:53:52 pm »
So no resistance calibration, that's fine. So ideally if I calibrate dcv it also calibrates current?

I took a look at the UT61E schematic and I can't spot any trim pots that would affect the voltage off the shunts.

However, I do see a 10K pot in line with the ohms voltage sense (VR3).  Not sure how much effect that would have on a high impedance input, but it may tweak the ohms readings?

Be careful with your adjustments, you don't want to make it worse. :)

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #691 on: December 03, 2013, 04:02:51 am »
Mmmh, quick check on ebay shows they go for < $60 these days. Is the UT61E still the budget model to go for, or are there other nice deals to be aware of? I noticed the Digitek DT-2843R and Digitek DT-4000ZC being mentioned as well, but those don't quite have the resolution of the UT61E...

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #692 on: December 04, 2013, 04:10:13 am »
Still the cheapest option for a new sturdy 4 1/2 digit TRMS meter with autoranging. It is not a perfect meter by any means, but quite usable and probably the best value for a hobbyist on a budget.

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #693 on: December 04, 2013, 05:16:10 am »
Still the cheapest option for a new sturdy 4 1/2 digit TRMS meter with autoranging. It is not a perfect meter by any means, but quite usable and probably the best value for a hobbyist on a budget.

I agree.  Very good meter for the money.  I did very careful research before I purchase it.  I was not sure that this time around in returning to play with EE if my interest would not fizzle out as it did the last couple of times, so I was not willing to spend a lot of money with a new meter.  I went the low cost route.

Having own the UT61E for a year now, I can say I am very pleased with it.  I would have like it had it been say 60,000 count, twice as accurate, backlid, auto-off... etc, etc, etc.  But that would have been 3x 4x or 10x what I was would have to spend.

Good value for the money is important in my decision.  My diddling around requires nothing more that a percent or two accuracy.  This far exceeded my need and at a very low cost.  So in my case, I am very pleased with it.

Rick

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #694 on: December 04, 2013, 10:16:52 am »
Thanks! Looks like the UT61E is the one to go for. Or rather, it was the one to go for right now, and has become the one to maybe go for in the future. It's bloody typical. You look for a used 5 1/2 digit meter for quite some time, cannot find it for a decent price, and then decide ah fuck it I'll go for a new 4 1/2 digit handheld meter. So you invest some time into researching the various option, decide on a certain meter, do your last sanity checks (posting in this thread) and then ... an affordable 5 1/2 digit meter pops up. Isn't that always the way... :-DD

So I picked up an HP 3478A for $150 shipped.  :-DMM Not nearly as cheap as some of those  :rant: cheap offerings I sometimes see in the US, but such is life.

Chances are I will still get me a UT61E since it does look like a pretty nice meter, but the purchasing date suddenly got pushed back. :P Relative importance and allocation of limited moneys and all that.

Edit: grammar happens to people who proofread.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 10:25:23 am by mrflibble »

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #695 on: December 12, 2013, 08:50:16 am »
The UT61E has a strange 'Peak Hold' implementation.
Usually on other meters, 'Peak Hold' displays very fast measurements of the AC sine wave positive peak voltage, with a max/min around that voltage.
On the 61E, 'Peak Hold' goes through a calibration first and then displays The Max (positive) and Max (Negative) of the sine wave voltage, with slow updates of about 2 samples per second. The bar graph keeps on displaying the TRMS voltage for that sine wave, instead of the peak voltage.

Offline Robomeds

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #696 on: December 12, 2013, 06:23:55 pm »
Since you said "new" I would agree.  If you are willing to shop ebay and live in the US (one or both will be 'no' for many people) I think you can do much better.  For the same money I've seen these meters used, all of which strike me as better than the UNI-T
Amprobe AM140 (Brymen with 500,000 count display)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amprobe-AM-140-TRMS-Digital-Multimeter-With-Leads-WOW-NR-/161166659089?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2586480e11
BK version of this meter (an ancestor of the current Agilent meters)  Note this is 40,000 count but has very good accuracy.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hioki-3801-Digital-HiTester-Multimeter-/290889897049?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43ba639459
BK 5390 (a favorite of mine).  Rare on ebay but I got one for $35 and did a tear down of the meter.  0.025% DC, water proof (a need I haven't needed ;) ) and 50k count. 
A number of old bench meters. 

Offline lagman

• Contributor
« Reply #697 on: December 24, 2013, 11:50:00 am »
I just received my UT61E that I ordered when I saw that everyone is happy with it. And I like it!
Unfortunately I'm unable to use the data logging function using the serial cable and a USB to serial adapter. (http://dx.com/p/usb-to-rs232-dongle-with-extension-cable-5859)
The adapter is plug and play and I can see it linked to COM4 in "device manager". I installed UT61E v4.01 exe and connected to COM4 but I get nothing...

It's the first time I use RS232 so maybe I'm doing something wrong?

« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 11:54:25 am by lagman »

Offline Benik3

• Contributor
« Reply #698 on: December 24, 2013, 01:15:35 pm »
Maybe different voltage output?
RS232 can be +-5V, +-10V, +-12V or +-15V.
Or there is also TTL +-3.3V but it's not probably this...

Offline lagman

• Contributor
« Reply #699 on: December 24, 2013, 02:09:42 pm »
Hum... I know absolutely nothing about RS232.  :palm:
I suppose that being powered by USB it can't be more than 5V. I looked at RS232 pinout and couldn't find a power pin!?
I checked all pin voltages on the USB to RS232 adapter and all are at 0V apparently. Is that normal?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf