Author Topic: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E Mixed Signal Oscilloscopes  (Read 272371 times)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E Mixed Signal Oscilloscopes
« Reply #1750 on: November 29, 2020, 08:52:13 pm »
Is this also possible with the Siglent?
Capture memory management strategy is mirrored to the same strategies used by LeCroy and Pico.

... snip mumbo jumbo

Can't you just say "no"?

Offline ballen

• Contributor
« Reply #1751 on: November 29, 2020, 11:03:58 pm »
The Single or Stop capture memory depth is just what is on the display and detailed inspection of it is limited to zooming in and panning around within the original capture therefore zooming in on a 1ms/div capture at 1us/div offers a large record to inspect.

OK. So the idea is, if I want to capture a long sequence around a particular trigger, then slow down the horizontal sweep until the full memory that I want to retain is on screen.  For example if I am just looking at one channel and want to use the full 14 Msamples, then at 1 Gsample/second I need to capture 14 msec.  So slow down the sweep to 1msec/division, then do single shot.

After I have that, I can then scroll along to any point in that 14 msec of data, and use the horizontal control to zoom in as much as needed.

Is that right?  So the only difference with the Rigol is that I need to deliberately slow the sweep in advance rather than expecting a long data stretch to "just be there".  That's not unreasonable.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. NZ Siglent Distributor
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1752 on: November 29, 2020, 11:31:17 pm »
The Single or Stop capture memory depth is just what is on the display and detailed inspection of it is limited to zooming in and panning around within the original capture therefore zooming in on a 1ms/div capture at 1us/div offers a large record to inspect.

OK. So the idea is, if I want to capture a long sequence around a particular trigger, then slow down the horizontal sweep until the full memory that I want to retain is on screen.  For example if I am just looking at one channel and want to use the full 14 Msamples, then at 1 Gsample/second I need to capture 14 msec.  So slow down the sweep to 1msec/division, then do single shot.

After I have that, I can then scroll along to any point in that 14 msec of data, and use the horizontal control to zoom in as much as needed.

Is that right?  So the only difference with the Rigol is that I need to deliberately slow the sweep in advance rather than expecting a long data stretch to "just be there".  That's not unreasonable.
Yes exactly this ^ although I should add that when using 2 channels due to there's 2 ADC's in 4ch X-E's you can place the 2nd channel on the other ADC which also offers 14 Mpts of memory support therefore not halving the memory depth or sampling rate like scopes that have a single ADC.

Also don't overlook the convenience of Zoom mode where there's always the full picture of what's going on and the settings in play although due to just the 7" display sadly Zoom mode splits the vertical 50/50 whereas some scopes offer a 70/30 split where there is less clutter when you have a lot going on such as 3ch decodes and decode tables etc.

Edit
However to reduce display clutter you can Hide traces and have them still influence the way the scope works such as hiding a Clk or CS.

Edit
From early in this thread before all info was added to channel tabs, this image shows Zoom mode using channels on each ADC where the full 14 Mpts is available at slow timebase settings.
Zoomed window is so magnified the marker stripe of the zoomed timebase is nearly invisible below the H Pos arrow at the top of the display.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 12:38:41 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline HendriXML

• Frequent Contributor
    • KiCad-BOM-reporter
« Reply #1753 on: Yesterday at 01:31:40 pm »
I'd like to read the complete state of the scope using SCPI commands to be able to reload it later on. With most parameters this can be done, but I seem to have found 2 exceptions:
* The visibility of the trace (wether its enabled, but hidden)
* The "Enhanced by bits" parameter of the aquisition.

Maybe I'm missing something? I know a binairy version of the state can be retrieved with a single command, but because that format is not documented, I wouldn't want to take that road. Also when only different parameters values (determined by reading the current state) are set using dedicated commands this is much faster (depending on the number of differences). The saved state should also be editable, thus no simple binairy reading and the writing the same stuff.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:26:53 pm by HendriXML »
“I ‘d like to reincarnate as a dung beetle, ‘cause there’s nothing wrong with a shitty life, real misery comes from high expectations”

Offline ballen

• Contributor
« Reply #1754 on: Yesterday at 04:44:37 pm »
 I just got a Siglent SDS1104X-E today.  I'm already happier with this than with the Rigol 1054Z that it replaced.  The traces behave as I expect when I zoom, the individual ADC values behave as I would expect, and the input noise is significantly lower.  It took about 5 minutes to generate and enter the SDS1204X-E upgrade key, so that was also good.

One question: when I open the web interface from my computer, I see the display very nicely.  But according to the documentation, I should also have access to controls from my computer brower.  But they're missing!  Is it possible to control the scope from a networked computer, and if so, where are the controls?

Offline bkmit

« Reply #1755 on: Yesterday at 05:18:13 pm »
[attachimg=1] Tap this button!

The following users thanked this post: ballen

Offline ballen

• Contributor
« Reply #1756 on: Yesterday at 05:40:21 pm »
Thank you!!! Tapping that thin blue button on the top right opened the controls.  I had not seen it!

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1757 on: Yesterday at 07:03:44 pm »
I'd like to read the complete state of the scope using SCPI commands to be able to reload it later on. With most parameters this can be done, but I seem to have found 2 exceptions:
* The visibility of the trace (wether its enabled, but hidden)
* The "Enhanced by bits" parameter of the aquisition.

Maybe I'm missing something? I know a binairy version of the state can be retrieved with a single command, but because that format is not documented, I wouldn't want to take that road. Also when only different parameters values (determined by reading the current state) are set using dedicated commands this is much faster (depending on the number of differences). The saved state should also be editable, thus no simple binairy reading and the writing the same stuff.
Yep, looking at:
https://int.siglent.com/u_file/document/ProgrammingGuide_PG01-E02C.pdf
Neither of these seem available.  :-//

Email sent to tech support.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: HendriXML

Offline ballen

• Contributor
« Reply #1758 on: Yesterday at 09:17:59 pm »
I have a Siglent SDS1104X-E hacked to 200 MHz and have installed the WiFi option.  At the moment I have no plans to get or use the Arbitrary Waveform Generator (AWG) or the Logic Analyzer (LA) but was wondering, is there any reason NOT to install them?  Will it have any negative effect on performance or in some other way?  If not, I might as well install them, perhaps in a few years some cheap AWG or LA hardware will turn up on Ebay.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1759 on: Yesterday at 10:38:34 pm »
I have a Siglent SDS1104X-E hacked to 200 MHz and have installed the WiFi option.  At the moment I have no plans to get or use the Arbitrary Waveform Generator (AWG) or the Logic Analyzer (LA) but was wondering, is there any reason NOT to install them?  Will it have any negative effect on performance or in some other way?  If not, I might as well install them, perhaps in a few years some cheap AWG or LA hardware will turn up on Ebay.
Not at all however you have 30 free trial uses for any options so they are effectively active already albeit only for 30 uses.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: tubularnut, ballen

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf